Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Bunkers and the bunker mentality re: issue of peak oil

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: It's BUNKER time !!!

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 22:49:47

threadbear wrote:
JJ wrote:hang seng down 878

Link?

[web]http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=asia[/web]
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby Jotapay » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 23:44:31

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you need to be ready NOW. Get all cash and supplies you will need. Now. Do it now. Everyone.

http://www.tickerforum.org/cgi-ticker/a ... 875&page=1
Last edited by Jotapay on Tue 07 Oct 2008, 23:46:39, edited 2 times in total.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby nobodypanic » Tue 07 Oct 2008, 23:45:45

roccman wrote:
nobodypanic wrote:
JJ wrote:hang seng down 878

the world markets are in free-fall. i don't see anything stopping the plummet.

Just saw somewhere the Fed has enacted Emergency Powers.

Is that like a lite saber?

maybe a plastic toy one, 'cause it didn't seem to help at all.
nobodypanic
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 00:09:13

Shannymara wrote:
Jotapay wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you need to be ready NOW. Get all cash and supplies you will need. Now. Do it now. Everyone.

http://www.tickerforum.org/cgi-ticker/a ... 875&page=1

That link is a thread stating that some European companies are not accepting UK credit cards, per CNBC (second hand from several posters). The owner of that forum is telling people to get cash NOW. Crap.

I'm not the one to cry usually, but this does not seem too far fetched if CNBC is to ever be believed. An ounce of insurance is worth a pound of cure. If for some reason you don't have all your cash in hand, and you have 6 months of rice+beans plus 6 months of other essentials in your house, I would think it would be prudent to do it first thing tomorrow morning.

You never know. And I don't want to find out what "unprepared" is with the global system shutting down in front of our eyes. No CC transactions honored is something severe.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 00:16:43

Shannymara wrote:
Jotapay wrote:You never know. And I don't want to find out what "unprepared" is with the global system shutting down in front of our eyes. No CC transactions honored is something severe.

Oh, I agree, both about the supplies/cash and the seriousness of the implications if true . I just wonder if it's a widespread thing yet or not. I mean, if so... that was fast. If the plastic stops working, people will probably be freaking out pretty quick.

I'm just glad I started prepping a year ago. Some of my neighbors are catching on. I hope it's not too late for them.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby doomlover666 » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 01:29:07

Hi guy's and gal's,

It appears to me that hoooolllle lot of sh*t is about go down. So for all the yuppies that post here to same cool, F**k you!! To all my peak oil buddies, who truly believe, stay strong and prepare, because this whole fake bulls**t system that we have been force-fed are whole life is coming to a head like big fat festering zit. If you remain strong and have a strong family and friends network, you will prevail. If you are a fake pile of cr*p, you will die. It's that simple. (doomey is just settin tha record straight)
doomlover666
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 01:37:08

doomlover666 wrote:...This whole fake bulls**t system ... is coming to a head like big fat festering zit. ***

Yep ... and this festering zit is about to pop ...
Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Unread postby timmac » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 01:47:43

Oct 7 was a real sucky day for the worlds economy news,, I am really starting to get worred now..

I was wishing at least we could get thru 2008 before SHTF but it really looks as if its happening now,,, This Sucks..

I am not completey ready as of yet,, still need a little more time,, but I guess its time to start loading up fast now,, pleanty of money in bank to do so,, I think I am going to remove $1000 a day from my account for 5-6 days..

Am I being to much of a worry wart or is this going to level out soon..

I have not been to much of a doomer,, always thought this would happen slower,, but the past week has been a real eye opener..

Whats your take..
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby manu » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 01:58:32

Looks like the astrologer that told me the world economy was going to collapse was right and all the economic "pundits" were wrong! Ha ha ha ha. The American dream is now over and the world nightmare is just starting.
manu
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 02:02:31

Jotapay wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you need to be ready NOW. Get all cash and supplies you will need. Now. Do it now. Everyone.

Yeah. Hard to know what to make of that. They've got themselves all whipped into a frenzy about 1 unverified blurb on CNBC. Ticker Forum is even worse about catching doomer frenzy than we are. It certainly bears watching and if verified could be catastrophic. Then again, it could very easily be absolutely nothing.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Gebari » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 05:28:25

Nothing can stop this runaway train now, the whole financial system is collapsing. The age of prosperity is now over, forever. Welcome to the new age - the age of decline. The Long Emergency begins right now.

Got bunker indeed. The doomers were right!
Gebari
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Roccland » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 09:31:16

the rate cut did nothing
500 MPH into a brick wall - me
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Specop_007 » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 09:36:37

I posted this elsewhere, it certainly deserves to go here as well.

Too many people thought unlimited growth wasnt just possible, but expected. In the past 15 years or so there was a general change in the mindset of investors to where the stock market was not looked at as a risk based investment but rather guarenteed money.

Now we are seeing what really amounts to nothing more then a cyclical pattern of the market and a downturn and contraction of the past 15 or 20 years worth of growth.

Unfortunately due to the changed mindset people somehow think this is a disaster (and I suppose for many ill informed investors it is) which should have never been allowed to happen. More to the point it was a disaster that could never have been avoided. Unlimited growth is simply an impossibility when chained to limited resources (Whatever trhose may be...).

Rest assured we will see more corrections. Rest assured too its not the end of the world. A day will come when the market has stabilized.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the
Abyss, the Abyss gazes also into you."

Ammo at a gunfight is like bubblegum in grade school: If you havent brought enough for everyone, you're in trouble
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Specop_007 » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 09:38:18

Gebari wrote:Nothing can stop this runaway train now, the whole financial system is collapsing. The age of prosperity is now over, forever. Welcome to the new age - the age of decline. The Long Emergency begins right now.

Got bunker indeed. The doomers were right!

Theres a saying that the optimists have to be right every time to justify no preps.. We doomers only need to be right once to justify our preps. :-D

Ammo at a gunfight is like bubblegum in grade school: If you havent brought enough for everyone, you're in trouble
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Roccland » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 09:40:07

Specop_007 wrote:I posted this elsewhere, it certainly deserves to go here as well.
Too many people thought unlimited growth wasnt just possible, but expected. In the past 15 years or so there was a general change in the mindset of investors to where the stock market was not looked at as a risk based investment but rather guarenteed money.
Now we are seeing what really amounts to nothing more then a cyclical pattern of the market and a downturn and contraction of the past 15 or 20 years worth of growth.
Unfortunately due to the changed mindset people somehow think this is a disaster (and I suppose for many ill informed investors it is) which should have never been allowed to happen. More to the point it was a disaster that could never have been avoided. Unlimited growth is simply an impossibility when chained to limited resources (Whatever trhose may be...).
Rest assured we will see more corrections. Rest assured too its not the end of the world. A day will come when the market has stabilized.

And now for some reality...TED spread up to 400 BP...(click one day range)...
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dunewalker » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 09:43:31

Shannymara wrote:The volatility is incredible. Lots of people are getting rich(er) off this. Did they let the ban on short selling expire?

Yes, I think it expired today.
"Wilderness is another civilization apart from our own." - H.D. Thoreau
dunewalker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Specop_007 » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 09:49:06

Roccland wrote:
Specop_007 wrote:I posted this elsewhere, it certainly deserves to go here as well.

No, HEREs your reality. link

Imminent collapse of the US dollar, Posted: 2005-01-30, 12:47:44
Note date of post....

For 3+ years people have been preaching utter total failure of the system. It hasnt happened. Now that we have a correction people are (still) preaching utter and total collapse and convinced they are finally right because of the corrections we've seen.

Its the same ole tune on a different violin at a different venue.

Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Roccland » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 09:51:26

Specop_007 wrote:
Roccland wrote:
No, HEREs your reality. link
Imminent collapse of the US dollar, Posted: 2005-01-30, 12:47:44
Note date of post.... For 3+ years people have been preaching utter total failure of the system. It hasnt happened. Now that we have a correction people are (still) preaching utter and total collapse and convinced they are finally right because of the corrections we've seen. Its the same ole tune on a different violin at a different venue.

you and pops are real clowns.
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Roccland » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 09:54:54

Just checked my brokerage account;

xlf puts up 337%

betting on banks failing seems to be quite the money maker.
Roccland
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Specop_007 » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 09:58:54

Roccland wrote:you and pops are real clowns.

Am I wrong on the matter?

But lets go a different angle. What do you *really* expect to ahppen?? In a year people will pull out pennies on the dollar, we'll close the markets and turn off the lights forever? I mean is that what you think is really going to happen??

Some people here seem to be of the opinion "collapse" means "death of". I assure you beyond ANY shadow of a doubt the markets WILL be here today, they WILL be here tomorrow and they WILL be here in a decade.

They may look vastly different but only a fool would think we'll just turn off the lights and close the doors.

So let me ask you. What do you think will happen? Where do you see things in 6 months, 1 year and 5 years? If you think the markets will still be around then frankly all this doomer bunker collapse stuff is just fear mongering for your own amusement no?

Specop_007
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic Discussion