Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Book: "The Will To Power" by Friedrich Nietzsche

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Book: "The Will To Power" by Friedrich Nietzsche

Unread postby Kristen » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 19:56:13

The Will to Power is a great book. Although it is philosophy; the book isn't written with the consideration of logic. He spares no race, religion of creed, and I felt myself arguing against him as I read. At the same time, he embraces them; offering counterpoints and several different viewpoints. In the end it gave me a new perspective of the era. It's worth a read.
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Friedrich Nietzsche - The Will To Power. Edited by Walte

Unread postby americandream » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 20:38:40

The age of consumerism must surely rank as the epoch of supreme servitude!
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Hagakure_Leofman » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 20:57:50

Kristen wrote:... Although it is philosophy; the book isn't written with the consideration of logic.

That depends on your definition of logic. I'm certain that for Nietzsche himself, his arguments where entirely logical. It's certainly a matter of perspective.

As the philosopher Thomas Hobbs said, "For such is the nature of men that how so ever they may acknowledge many others to be more witty, or more eloquent or more learned, yet they will hardly believe there be many so wise as themselves; for they see their own wit at hand, and other men's at a distance."
Hagakure_Leofman
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Schadenfreude » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 23:14:42

Nietsche isn't really useful or enlightening nowadays except as part of an historical survey of philosophy. He was most relevantly made obsolete by Freude and Freude's treatises on ego.

...And now Freude is more or less well out-of-date also.

Nietsche was working before modern psychology, before the discoveries of modern genetics and just immediately after Darwin, before the full impact of Darwinism took hold. So he didn't have the full benefit of those sciences. He seems to describe the will to power as some fundamental essence of Life. Wrong. It's just evolution. What works best survives to reproduce. The structure of the brain is what is passed along.

Probably the science of human power relationships will continue to be probed as the human brain slowly gives up its secrets. People will probably learn that the social part of their brains are 1.26% genetically different in than those in a pack of wolves. After all, like wolves, we're mammals - even the Pope, that annoyingly ever-present uber-mensche and alpha.

Most accounts of Nietsche describe him him as an isolated, disheveled nut scribbling away in the attic. Poor thing.
Schadenfreude

Unread postby satjeet » Tue 10 Jun 2008, 23:27:24

I'm a great fan of Spinoza whom Nietzche surely had read. Spinoza is a monist - we are all modes in one substance, i.e. Deus siva Natura.

But the individual modes - e.g. a man - has "conatus". All individual modes have a "conatus". An ant has a very ant like conatus. A rock a very rock like conatus.

But conatus - or drive - can be describe in Nietachean terms as a will to power.

Makes sense to me.
satjeet
Peat
Peat

Re: Book: "The Will To Power" by Friedrich Nietzsche

Unread postby ralfy » Thu 12 Jan 2017, 23:32:51

"Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morality"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b087rt4z
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 13 Jan 2017, 22:10:16

There are no facts, only interpretations

I believe he said that not long before he was committed to the Basel mental asylum.

One wonders what the gap is between brilliance and sheer lunacy.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 13 Jan 2017, 22:58:24

Likewise Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Twilight of the Idols, Antichrist, all his seminal works were produced in the last couple of years before he was carted off to die in an asylum from syphilitic necrosis. He only had sex twice in his life, the first time as a young man broke his heart & permanently tainted his view of women. The second, decades later was a syphilitic prostitute- where he caught the disease which took first his Christian faith (previously a fervent & prolific writer in the Calvinist line), eventually taking his sanity & his life. As interesting as Nietzsche is, his conection & influence on his niece, Eva Braun- Hitler's de-facto wife, in turn her influence on Hitler & on history- makes him undoubtedly one of the most influential writers of all time.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby hydrolog » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 12:39:26

Friedrich Nietzsche was a great mind, undoubtly.
To want to, is to be able to.
hydrolog
Wood
Wood

Return to Book/Media Reviews