Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

BMG. (Bitch, Moan, Groan)

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: BMG. (Bitch, Moan, Groan)

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 10 Jun 2022, 15:21:26

Back in Mid March I ordered a piece of equipment from an outfit in NZ. Worth about $2,500 US. It was packaged and set out for UPS within a couple of days. UPS eventually (allegdedly) managed to get it to Miami on May 27, and there it sits.

The stream of notices we have gotten have been truly remarkable. last week it was in Customs Hold, then I was notified it was OUT FOR DELIVERY, and then back in Customs Hold . But now I am leaving soon and will have no way to recie it or store it. So we have been forced to declaire it a lost item.

The seller is refunding all my money.

Now I am wondering what will become of this orphan item. I can not see them shipping it back to NZ. My guess is it will go into a dumpster.

What a mess!

In the meantime I ordered and received a package from the UK, in 3 days. UPS.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby C8 » Fri 10 Jun 2022, 23:10:16

Newfie wrote:Back in Mid March I ordered a piece of equipment from an outfit in NZ. Worth about $2,500 US. It was packaged and set out for UPS within a couple of days. UPS eventually (allegdedly) managed to get it to Miami on May 27, and there it sits.

The stream of notices we have gotten have been truly remarkable. last week it was in Customs Hold, then I was notified it was OUT FOR DELIVERY, and then back in Customs Hold . But now I am leaving soon and will have no way to recie it or store it. So we have been forced to declaire it a lost item.

The seller is refunding all my money.

Now I am wondering what will become of this orphan item. I can not see them shipping it back to NZ. My guess is it will go into a dumpster.

What a mess!

In the meantime I ordered and received a package from the UK, in 3 days. UPS.

Don't you live on a boat? How does that work as far as food, laws, taxes, etc.?
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 11 Jun 2022, 15:40:36

Yes, winter time, 6 months a year, in the Eastern Caribbean. Then the balance in Newfoundland, Canada with time transiting and visiting in between. But Covid screwed up the last 2 years.

Food is simple, we just go to as tore like anyone else. Its a hit more complicated in some more remote areas, you get inly local foods. But we adapt.

We obey the laws wherever we are.

Taxes suck. We pay USA taxes as that is our residence. Locals do nkt tax, beyond salestax.

We are retired si we dont work, the locals have no claim on our income.

Mail is more challenging, and Internet has been a hassle here in St Martin this year.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby C8 » Sat 11 Jun 2022, 17:29:17

Newfie wrote:Yes, winter time, 6 months a year, in the Eastern Caribbean. Then the balance in Newfoundland, Canada with time transiting and visiting in between. But Covid screwed up the last 2 years.

Food is simple, we just go to as tore like anyone else. Its a hit more complicated in some more remote areas, you get inly local foods. But we adapt.

We obey the laws wherever we are.

Taxes suck. We pay USA taxes as that is our residence. Locals do nkt tax, beyond salestax.

We are retired si we dont work, the locals have no claim on our income.

Mail is more challenging, and Internet has been a hassle here in St Martin this year.

May I ask how big of a boat you have and what type? And are you in danger of severe storms or crime? (can people board your boat with another boat?)
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 11 Jun 2022, 20:44:08

C8,

Boat size is generally given in feet, Length On Deck (LOD). But folks and marketeers like to fudge that in various ways. Displacement is a much better measure.

So, we are 44' LOD, 50' LOA (Length Over All - big bow sprit). However our displacement is 40,000 pounds, nearly twice modern boats. A bit of an extreme example; a new 42' boat I was on had a 42 gallon fuel tank. We have a 150 gallon fuel tank plus a 42 gallon 'day" tank. In sort, We are a BIG 44' boat., and all that additional space is in storage. The down side is we are slow.

The boat is a custom, one off, from a professional naval architect in the UK. He had a similar line called a "Steelmaid" this boat is loosely based upon.

In the parlance she is a CUTTER (main sail and 2 head sails) with a long keel. She is made in steel and has hard chine construction, that means the hull has flat sections, the steel does not have compound curves.

ALL boats are in danger of sever storms, no matter how big. For hurricane season we have the boat removed from the water, placed on stands, and then strapped down with heavy duty cargo straps. That provides pretty good protection. But a bad storm will still wreck your boat.

We have never had anything stolen. Most places, but not all, are far safer than living in Philadelphia. It happens, but the chances are probably better here than in the US. None-the-less one should always be mindful of your circumstances.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby C8 » Sat 11 Jun 2022, 20:48:12

Newfie wrote:C8,

Boat size is generally given in feet, Length On Deck (LOD). But folks and marketeers like to fudge that in various ways. Displacement is a much better measure.

So, we are 44' LOD, 50' LOA (Length Over All - big bow sprit). However our displacement is 40,000 pounds,n nearly twice modern boats. A bit of an extreme example a new 42' boat I was on had a 42 gallon fuel tank. We have a 150 gallon fuel tank plus a 42 gallon 'day" tank. In sort, Weare a BIG 44' boat., and all that additional space is in storage.

The boat is a custom, one off, from a professional naval architect in the UK. He had a similar line called a "Steelmaid" this boat is loosely based upon.

In the parlance she is a CUTTER (ain't sail and 2 head sails) with a long keel. She is made in steel and has hard chine construction, that means the hull has flat sections, the steel does not have compound curves.

ALL boats are in danger of sever storms, no matter how big. For hurricane season we have the boat removed from the water, placed on stands, and then strapped down with heavy duty cargo straps. That provides pretty good protection. But a bad storm will still wreck your boat.

We have never had anything stolen. Most places, but not all, are far safer than living in Philadelphia. I happens, but the chances are probably better here than in the US. None-the-less one should always be mindful of your circumstances.

Thanks for the info- you sound rich.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 13 Jun 2022, 08:20:44

Not rich, untold hours of sweet equity.

But the buggers even find ways to tax that.

Our entre holdings cost less than an an average house. The boat was $93,000 initial cost, Canadian cabin $32,000, 12 year old used vehicle.

We live a pretty spartan life by Western measures.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 14 Jun 2022, 04:21:50

Newfie wrote:
We have never had anything stolen. Most places, but not all, are far safer than living in Philadelphia. It happens, but the chances are probably better here than in the US. None-the-less one should always be mindful of your circumstances.

How about pirates, you encounter any downs south? Are you tooled up for that?
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 14 Jun 2022, 07:53:57

In the Caribbean there are 2 areas where such activity is reported.

Thr coast of Honduras and Venesual extending to waters around Trunidad. There are strategies fir dealing with each. Honduras mostly means avoiding the coast by sailing further off shore, tanking a longer route. Around Trinidad folks tend towards convoys and alert authorities of their movements.

Mostly the incidents are by poverished and desperate locals. There have been reports of more organized efforts around Honduras.

There is no doubt it happens, and is a worry. OTOH there are also reports of folks being boarded by fishermen who were simply looking for water. There is no telling how many attpted pirate attacks were just miscommunication. The actual number of attacks is quite low. The Eastrtn Caribbean is quite safe from such attack.

What you do see is the locals going out fishing, often at night, in all kinds of weather, in small open boats with a single outboard. The prevailing winds are Easterly and strong. If that OB dies they are as good as dead. It is +1,500 miles to Panama. And it happens.

I have altered course at night to check on a fishing boat but was waved off. I could see a flashing light but could not tell if it was distress or not, they were just baiting hooks.

About a year ago and European couple left a bar at 10pm and got in their Dingy to go to their boat. They never made it, disappeared. Most likely the motor just died and they could not row against the wind, or did not have oars. Those inflatable disks are terrible difficult to row.

We have a rowable dink, proper oars, and in those exposed situations carry some means to get rescued. Most do not. In short probably more die from self inflicted errors than pirates.

We carry no firearms. In some places the penalties are worse than the pitates.

Changes your attitude about many things.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 14 Jun 2022, 14:25:56

Newfie wrote:In the Caribbean there are 2 areas where such activity is reported.

Thr coast of Honduras and Venesual extending to waters around Trunidad. There are strategies fir dealing with each. Honduras mostly means avoiding the coast by sailing further off shore, tanking a longer route. Around Trinidad folks tend towards convoys and alert authorities of their movements.

Mostly the incidents are by poverished and desperate locals. There have been reports of more organized efforts around Honduras.

There is no doubt it happens, and is a worry. OTOH there are also reports of folks being boarded by fishermen who were simply looking for water. There is no telling how many attpted pirate attacks were just miscommunication. The actual number of attacks is quite low. The Eastrtn Caribbean is quite safe from such attack.

What you do see is the locals going out fishing, often at night, in all kinds of weather, in small open boats with a single outboard. The prevailing winds are Easterly and strong. If that OB dies they are as good as dead. It is +1,500 miles to Panama. And it happens.

I have altered course at night to check on a fishing boat but was waved off. I could see a flashing light but could not tell if it was distress or not, they were just baiting hooks.

About a year ago and European couple left a bar at 10pm and got in their Dingy to go to their boat. They never made it, disappeared. Most likely the motor just died and they could not row against the wind, or did not have oars. Those inflatable disks are terrible difficult to row.

We have a rowable dink, proper oars, and in those exposed situations carry some means to get rescued. Most do not. In short probably more die from self inflicted errors than pirates.

We carry no firearms. In some places the penalties are worse than the pitates.

Changes your attitude about many things.

Reminds me of a novel I read way back as a teenager. Students took a survival class and then to graduate they had to get dropped off at random in the wilderness and survive seven days with any weapon they could carry as their only defense. The ones who took rifles or heavier weapons were the most likely to die because they got over confident and didn't run or hide when it was the best strategy. The ones who did best took only a belt knife or camping hatchet that were useful tools for lots of situations but didn't encourage them to fight the bears or cougars.

Your best tool is your brain and talking and acting small gets you through a lot more of dangerous situations than bluffing and getting in over your head by arrogance leading you to say or do something that triggers a hostile response. Surrender doesn't always work, but meekness has its place as a survival strategy.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 14 Jun 2022, 16:34:33

Completely agree, and it depends on the situation.

Although I worked in Philadelpha streets, maintenance for the ral system, I never had a problem. Yet many others did. I tried to carry myself with some vigor, a firm step. But I was also very respectful and engaged only when necessary.

Later, when working as a PM doing construction projects in thebneighborhoods, typically 1am to 5am during rail system shut down, ALL our foremen were concealed carry, they had to protect the crew. It was never discussed or shown, just silently accomplished.

One day the formen were having a meeting in an old warehouse we used for staging. Some local tough busts in brandishing a big knife and demands their money. 6 handguns quietly appeared on the table, no word was spoken, the intruder scramed.

I Ave guns, mostly for hunting, and 2 1911's, all safely stored.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 14 Jun 2022, 19:11:07

I would not venture into any area where criminal activity was ongoing and I could not be armed sufficiently to feel secure. You can't fight the local rules or count on the local government to protect you as a forefinger against the local thugs that may have considerable power and influence in the local government.
Best to just go to safer areas and let those unsafe areas starve for lack of the income being visitor friendly could bring.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 14 Jun 2022, 20:27:56

Well along those lines, we fell a lot safer in the Caribbean than Philaephia.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 14 Jun 2022, 21:47:33

Newfie wrote:Well along those lines, we fell a lot safer in the Caribbean than Philaephia.

You could not pay me enough to move to New York or Philadelphia under their current management. Not even a visit under the current conditions. Nothing there worth the risks.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby C8 » Tue 14 Jun 2022, 22:50:31

vtsnowedin wrote:
Newfie wrote:Well along those lines, we fell a lot safer in the Caribbean than Philaephia.

You could not pay me enough to move to New York or Philadelphia under their current management. Not even a visit under the current conditions. Nothing there worth the risks.

Like all places, a big city has safe spots and danger areas. But the problem arises when a car breaks down in the wrong neighborhood or criminals board public transit. The biggest problem is when a major event like a riot develops- streets are blocked by gangs, etc. Such events could start happening more frequently in the future as life gets tougher in the US. If there is a SHTF moment then its every man for himself.

No amount of wealth can stop a greedy, selfish people from destroying their nation. When virtue dies, civilization collapses. The "selfie" culture leads to mass narcissism and destroys any effort for the collective good.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 15 Jun 2022, 00:30:09

We had a house in one of the more posh neighborhoods. It used to be as you say, our sense was that was no longer the case. The violence has moved out ot the ghettos and is now everywhere. It is not uniform, but no place in Philly is safe.

The corner of my office building just had a drive by shooting, murder. City Hall was surrounded by people doing competitive tricks in their cars, stopping all traffic. The cops did nothing, they abandoned their cruisers.Not blaming the cops, the DA is a complete AH. The very popular exmayor, Michale Nutter, is calling for his resignation. State lawmakers are pressing impeachment. But he was reelected... because he is a D party operative.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Open Topic Discussion