PeakOil is You

Bitcoin & crypto? Pt. 2

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Bitcoin & crypto? Pt. 2

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 14 Apr 2024, 19:39:54

First halving November 28, 2012 $12.4
Second halving July 9, 2016 $680
Third halving May 11, 2020 $8,590

After each previous halving the price began a steady climb for some months before going into an exponential blow off https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/ (All Data)

There was no significant contraction in price after the halving that I can see from the chart. Prior to the last two halvings there was significant volatility in the months leading up, just as we see now.
None of this is evidence in and of itself that a similar exponential upswing in price will occur after this halving. It's just what happened three times before. For an exponential increase you would need buyers, lots of buyers whose demand pushes up the price.

Large corporations like Tesla, netflix, Meta, Amazon etc, executed cumulative stock splits of up to 20:1 as their multi-thousand dollar shares began to collapse in price or stagnate a few years ago. This had the twin effects of making the price seen more affordable as well as hiding the fact they had fallen by a thousand dollars and more. Of course this was to present the stocks as stable investments for retirement accounts etc and does not apply to BC since it is a purely speculative buy, as is evidenced by it's recurrent massive gains and massive losses.

One thing of note though, the price rises and collapses of Bitcoin follow a recognizable pattern. They now mirror the rise and fall of the major technology stocks with the same peaks and lows. I don't find this surprising since BC has moved firmly into Wall Street camp with the shift to exchanges and the new derivatives and ETF's. To my mind if you're betting on BC going to the moon you're betting on the major technology stocks having commensurate great increases in price. Difficult to see in the current environment.

Just click on any of the tech stocks listed above and compare the long term chart with the BC all data chart linked above also.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GOOG?nc ... m0o32z3jzm
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Sun 14 Apr 2024, 21:49:25

Lucky,

Patience grasshopper, watch and learn. 8)

Note the decreasing volatility this year, dips are less than 15% compared to 35-45% in previous cycles.

Hong Kong's ETF comes online tomorrow, and China is authorizing their people to buy it. Asia has a much higher risk tolerance with their investments than Western Countries.

How many times are you going to predict the demise of BTC before you figure out you are wrong? Based on your stands in the EV thread, I'm guessing at least two more cycles. :lol:

In the end everyone will buy BTC at the price they deserve.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 15 Apr 2024, 05:14:24

careinke wrote:
In the end everyone will buy BTC ...

That's exactly what my vegetarian brother says about meat eaters, everyone will be vegetarian one day soon. If you are right than so is he :lol:
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Mon 15 Apr 2024, 07:16:14

theluckycountry wrote:
careinke wrote:
In the end everyone will buy BTC ...

That's exactly what my vegetarian brother says about meat eaters, everyone will be vegetarian one day soon. If you are right than so is he :lol:

:lol: If I were you, I'd make it my mission to turn him into a carnivore, he probably has a phobia of eating things with faces. Does he eat shellfish?

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 18 Apr 2024, 23:39:51

careinke wrote: :lol: If I were you, I'd make it my mission to turn him into a carnivore, he probably has a phobia of eating things with faces. Does he eat shellfish?
No! That's meat too. I don't try and convert him at all, I just let him live in his delusion. He raised two children vegetarian, poor kids, they still suffer health issues. When they came of age and left home their first stop was Mcdonalds for a burger with MEAT.

Now both are big meat eaters and he sees nothing odd with this, though I never broach the subject. How can he expect people who have enjoyed meat all their lives want to give it up when his own kids who had the 'benefit' of such a supposedly healthy lifestyle turn their backs on it? You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work this one out. A/ it only exists among the world's poorest peoples AND among a minority White middle class quack of adherents. B/ In it's essence is the Eastern religions, it's a religious movement, or a part of one. He's a cow worshiper basically.

Vegans are the same only worse, they are truly fucked up people, angry ALL the time. The reason why Vegetarians, though driven and intense aren't angry all the time is because they get some animal fats in their cheese and in the cream buns and cake they love so much.

Seafood has such a big presence in Japanese culture because meat eating is prohibited in Shintoism and is considered “unclean.” That explains the insanity of the Japanese soldiers in WWII. Angry little bastards starving all the time, frustrated by seeing the American troops gorging themselves on Meat! That's why they were so willing to die for the Emperor in their suicide attacks, they had nothing to live for basically, no quality of life, just endless bowls of rice and soy sauce. I'd probably kill myself too.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance