Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Attacking the United States:

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Attacking the United States:

Unread postby RdSnt » Thu 24 Mar 2005, 17:50:52

Some givens first:

-US aggression is completely transparent and out of control.
-US is irretrievably in debt.
-US economy is due to collapse catastrophically and pull the rest of the world with it.
-US has nuclear weapons and enough crazy people to pull the trigger.

-The rest of the world, at some point are going to have to take action against the US.
-A direct military action against the US is completely unworkable.

With these points in mind, I'd like to start a discussion regarding where the strike points are.
How will the rest of the world rein in the US monster?
-key assassinations?
-collapse the economy?
-embargo?
???
Gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer.
Everything is coincident.
Love: the state of suspended anticipation.
To get any appreciable distance from the Earth in
a sensible amount of time, you must lie.
RdSnt
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Yossarian » Thu 24 Mar 2005, 17:56:02

A coordinated effort could probably cause an economic collapse without too much trouble at this point.
Yossarian
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Wildwell » Thu 24 Mar 2005, 18:03:11

Just stop buying big macs :-D
Wildwell
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby RiverRat » Thu 24 Mar 2005, 18:26:04

"They" will only collapse our economy if they feel they are insulated from the effects.

If they bring down our econmoy and in the process destoy "theirs", what is the gain?
If ...'If's' and 'But's' ... were Candy and Nuts ... we would all be happy and fat !
RiverRat
Peat
Peat

Unread postby generikan » Thu 24 Mar 2005, 18:46:00

RiverRat wrote:If they bring down our econmoy and in the process destoy "theirs", what is the gain?

Everyone can then start from scratch. Then, everyone gets fair deal.
No one gets unfair advantage of stolen resources, slavery, colonization or war.

Its not like they are dumb and you are smart.
Dont you ever feel guilty? even just a little?
generikan
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Thu 24 Mar 2005, 18:52:11

We are the world's consumer. They make sh*t. We buy it. That's how the world works. If they wanted to hurt us, they could do it. But unfortunately, it would also hurt themselves.

Massive unemployment would result in many of countries if the US went into a depression. It is not the best course of action for Japan/SouthKorea/China/Europe/et al to take.
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby RiverRat » Thu 24 Mar 2005, 19:01:51

generikan
Everyone can then start from scratch. Then, everyone gets fair deal.
No one gets unfair advantage of stolen resources, slavery, colonization or war.

Brilliant .... collapse the world economy so everyone can start from scratch and everyone can have a fair shake. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

Then the whole cycle can repeat
If ...'If's' and 'But's' ... were Candy and Nuts ... we would all be happy and fat !
RiverRat
Peat
Peat

Unread postby lorenzo » Thu 24 Mar 2005, 19:29:21

There are many perfectly legal ways to destroy the USA. The trick is to use America's horrible social system against America.

1. Support the American obesity complex: buy shares of sugar-fat companies (Coca Cola, Mc Donald's etc...); then buy shares of pharmaco's which refuse to create effective diabetes medicines, but which create fakes instead (there are quite a few out there).
Boycott initiatives that call for more healthy life-styles. When organizations urge Americans to exercise more, immediately launch a philosophical counter-attack (Jesus never went to the gym; Exercise is unpatriottic, etc)

We all know that the obesity epidemic in the US is the worst genocide in the history of mankind (millions of children being killed by their own parents, through forcefeeding them fat+sugar+patriottism). This will effectively cause the collapse of American society. (Obesity is the number one killer, and it will burden the American health care and social system to such an extent that collapse is inevitable)

2. A little one: support the gun lobby in the USA >> more Americans killing their own neighbors; more kids shooting kids.

3. Support ultra-right wing capitalists in the USA so that inequality rises even more, and poverty climbs to 25% (currently at 14.8%, sociologists see 25% as a critical treshold) >> L.A. style revolts and chaos will paralyze entire cities.

4. Support the religious fundamentalists, support creationism and bogus "pro-life" anti-science ethics >> this paralyzes progress in science, makes America uncompetitive in the world, while the rest of us go forward

These are just some examples of perfectly legal social engineering that will greatly benefit the downfall of America.
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby pea-jay » Thu 24 Mar 2005, 19:29:26

I'd vote for the economic weapons...

The spill over effect would be horrible to most exporter's countries as well, but here is an added bonus...less natural resource consumption. May actually postpone the geologic peak a year or two.

Being stupid humans, most people would squander that extra time though.
UNplanning the future...
http://unplanning.blogspot.com
pea-jay
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Givens: US aggression is completely out of control, etc

Unread postby happycamper » Fri 25 Mar 2005, 00:30:02

Can we transcend the America-bashing just long enough to realize that all big powers are making moves on energy resources? China is rattling sabres at Taiwan, and is aggressively seeking oil resources in.... Canada!
They're no different! Geo-politics is a murky business. A facile simple-minded and reflexive anti-Americanism is just not up to the task.

I just discovered this site and have ordered the book. This is the most lucid take on the state of the world economy, and geo-politics, and where it's headed. Every nation is affected. We're all in the same boat. I especially enjoyed the lack of extreme partisanship and factionalism by the author.
happycamper
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 25 Mar 2005, 01:39:26

Tyler_JC wrote:We are the world's consumer. They make sh*t. We buy it. That's how the world works. If they wanted to hurt us, they could do it. But unfortunately, it would also hurt themselves.

Massive unemployment would result in many of countries if the US went into a depression. It is not the best course of action for Japan/SouthKorea/China/Europe/et al to take.

Why couldn't they just trade their sh*t to the oil producing countries in exchange for oil? 1 DVD player = 1 barrel. 1 giant TV = 20 barrels. 1 subcompact car= 200 barrels. Etc.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 25 Mar 2005, 01:59:10

Wildwell wrote:Just stop buying big macs :-D

All I buy from the US is oranges, lettuce and tomatos (although the lettuce and tomatos have been comig from Mexico lately). What does the US export these days? I have heard they export soybeans, but when was the last time you bought a soybean?
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Barbara » Fri 25 Mar 2005, 04:30:16

Keep in mind that 70% of the world is used to starvation. China and Russia won't give a damn to affect their economies if the prize is getting rid of the US: their people won't riot anyway (a bit of tyranny helps too).
There's a point of equilibre: first the US is useful to sell goods and gain money, then they begin to be too aggressive and too energy consuming.
There's no point to sell to US if the money you get in return is useless to buy energy and your people starve anyway.
Getting rid of the US, if also affect the economies, can be good for the EU: we aren't selling anything to the US because of the strong EU, but we can afford energy and we can trade with China and Russia. So maybe after some years of difficulty the EU China Russia and Arab world can go well without the US.
But the smarter are Latin Americans: they are working hard to associate and being economically independent from the rest of the world. I guess that, if nobody comes "to bring freedom" or whatever, South America will be a nice place to live after the peak/economic disaster.
**no english mothertongue**
--------
Objects in the rear view mirror
are closer than they appear.
Barbara
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ender » Fri 25 Mar 2005, 04:31:20

Keith_McClary wrote:
Wildwell wrote:Just stop buying big macs :-D

All I buy from the US is oranges, lettuce and tomatos (although the lettuce and tomatos have been comig from Mexico lately). What does the US export these days?[quote]

I buy navel oranges from the US (believe it or not, they're a net food exporter still). Keeps me in oranges year-round when ours are out of season.

Come the peak, I might have to go back to eating whatever is in season and forego my oranges from January to May.

I also bought clothes while I was over there. They were surprisingly cheap compared with here, though I presume they were actually made in China.
Ender
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Doly » Fri 25 Mar 2005, 04:33:52

The best strategy against the USA right now is give them enough rope to hang themselves. Which is what the Asians seem to be doing.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Mercani » Fri 25 Mar 2005, 04:38:34

I think this is not too hard:

Send the submarines to Atlantic Ocean. Sink couple of huge oil tankers headed to US from the middle east with torpedoes. Run away at 1000m depth so nobody can find you. It can be blamed on the damn terrorists. :-x

Just watch when the oil prices skyrocket and the US descends into chaos, economy collapses.
Mercani
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Doly » Fri 25 Mar 2005, 05:07:51

If things are so precarious that a couple of tankers sunk can make the whole house of cards fall, just about any random event will topple them anyway.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Yossarian » Fri 25 Mar 2005, 10:53:48

This could be the straw....

Iran's plans for an Euro Oil Market
Yossarian
Peat
Peat

Unread postby MonkeyMia » Fri 25 Mar 2005, 13:06:09

Is there really any way without the world turning into a giant glass sphere?
MonkeyMia
Wood
Wood

Unread postby HonestPessimist » Fri 25 Mar 2005, 20:19:16

If the United States goes down, the whole world will goes down with the US.

To the anti-American tools here, be very careful what you're wishing for.

After all, we have years and years of contingency plans to ensure the world will goes down if the US goes down. Everything is in place to ensure that it will happen.

Again, be very careful what you're wishing for. :cry:

Otherwise, you might kick/curse yourself and be guilty for life, if you survive the great world crash.
HonestPessimist
Coal
Coal

Next

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics