Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

At-Home 3D Printing Save Thousands Of Dollars Per Year

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

At-Home 3D Printing Save Thousands Of Dollars Per Year

Unread postby Rune » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 13:10:00

CNN

At-home 3-D printing could save consumers thousands of dollars per year

Personal 3-D printers may sound like a pricey luxury or a niche product for geeks, but soon they could become a household appliance that saves people thousands of dollars a year.
Researchers at Michigan Technological University conducted a study to find out how much a family might save by printing common objects, such as simple replacement parts or toys, at home instead of buying them in stores or online.
"It was relatively shocking what the return on investment was," said associate professor Joshua Pearce, who led the study. "Realistically, it's in the thousands."

Much of the recent 3-D printer hype has focused on how the technology is going to revolutionize the manufacturing industry or what cool things it can create - human organs, duck feet, see-through hermit crab shells shaped like cities. But it's the small, mundane objects that could have the most immediate impact on wallets. (Especially if you print your own wallet.)

Printing 3-D objects does require a big upfront investment. Current desktop 3-D printers cost between $350 to $2,000. For the study, researchers used a $575 RepRap printer and selected 20 free 3-D designs that were available online.

Their calculations didn't take into account shipping costs or sales tax associated with buying from a retailer. The researchers say they did that to keep the estimates for the study on the conservative end.

"We assumed the average family would only make 20 items a year, which is silly because if you get one of these you'll make 20 items in one weekend," said Pearce.

I don't know a damn thing about 3D printing, except for catching an article here and there. I thought it was just a limited kind of application. But I guess its making some kind of a splash now.

It prompts the thought about localized or at-home manufacturing trends:

One can imagine small robotized factories for communities. Downloadable plans and schematics, on-demand custom manufacturing... As well as at-home 3d printing.

It would change much of what we assume about consumerism going forward.
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: At-Home 3D Printing Save Thousands Of Dollars Per Year

Unread postby Beery1 » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 13:29:49

Rune wrote:It would change much of what we assume about consumerism going forward.

It certainly promises to revolutionize respiratory and neural illnesses:

http://news.techworld.com/personal-tech/3460992/scientists-warn-of-3d-printing-health-effects-as-tech-hits-high-street/

The team of scientists from the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) and France’s National Institute of Applied Sciences found that thermal extrusion and deposition of plastics by a commonly available 3D printer emitted a large amount of very small particles, mostly less than 100 nanometres in diameter.

When ultrafine particles (UFPs) are inhaled they can end up in the lungs and even the brain.

“These small particles can cause inflammation in our respiratory system, or penetrate deep into our lungs and are small enough to enter our bloodstream,” lead author from IIT, Brent Stephens, told Techworld.

“Once in our bloodstream, they may interact with our cells, or may be deposited in sensitive areas such as bone marrow, lymph nodes, spleen, or heart. They can also access the central nervous system via our brains.”

Sounds GREAT!

Since no one knows what sorts of diseases might develop in humans, it could be the beginning of a whole new world of exciting infections and cancers. It should be fricken awesome - I can't wait!
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 14:10:26

Thousands over the life of the printer vs thousands per year are different things. I don't know that I buy $2000/yr of objects that could be printed. My first b/w laser printer cost me about $500; and even a current set of 3000pg color toners cost $250; so the 3d printers are getting in the range where I might buy one; but there's no way it would cover its cost in a single year.

Someone does need to come up with a way to do a single issue project file; so say, I create a doohickey-making-file, you pay me $5 and it allows you to print 1/5/10 of whatever the doohickey is. That could really create some small scale innovation and business; though it also has the potential of running rough-shod over the current patent system. How do you patent troll someone with a $400 computer in a one bedroom apartment riding around town on a bicycle? Lawyers would flee in terror at the prospect.

Definitely a cool tech though.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MD » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 14:23:14

I helped develop 3d printing in 1992, and have stayed close to it since.

Replicators are coming soon, to a store near you.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Rune » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 15:10:06

MD wrote:I helped develop 3d printing in 1992, and have stayed close to it since.

I'd like to know moe about them. I'm wondering what the realistic limits are of 3D printing.

Are complex consumer products possible? Or just plastic shapes and whatnot?
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MD » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 15:59:52

Rune wrote:
MD wrote:I helped develop 3d printing in 1992, and have stayed close to it since.

I'd like to know moe about them. I'm wondering what the realistic limits are of 3D printing.

Are complex consumer products possible? Or just plastic shapes and whatnot?

Multiple material injection at nearly atomic level isn't that far away.

Layering it out is just a matter of good motion and flow control, at unbelievable resolution.

Edit: multi material non organic assemblies can be accomplished today given current technology. Commercial production rates are still out of reach but the technology has been trending at moore's law rates lately.

Pay attention!
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Rune » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 17:10:49

MD wrote:Pay attention!

I will!
Rune
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdTheNad » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 17:23:44

Rune wrote:At-home 3-D printing could save consumers thousands of dollars

If consumers (so not including businesses) could actually save thousands a year from printing plastics widgets, all that says is people buy way too much plastic rubbish. Although if people want a plastic flamingo I guess it's better if they print it themselves.
AdTheNad
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Pops » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 18:46:43

3D printing is the kind of tech I said elsewhere changes the things you do, not just how you do things. Why not print clothes, shoes, toilet paper... food?

If as MD says it is molecular level resolution with multiple materials your printed product could be soup or steak or TP or a bathing suit at the touch of a button.

Of course like everything there is a price, and I doubt that anyone will be retiring on what they "save" because the market will prevail. I have been doing print graphics on the computer for well over 20 years and since I bought my first digital camera and ink jet I have very few snapshots. Back in the day you took what came back from the lab and were happy, now I find consumables just too expensive to waste on a halfassed underexposed, blurry pic.

I take it back, it turns out I did save a bunch of money!
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby pasttense » Sat 03 Aug 2013, 11:42:30

I think this is ridiculous. Can anyone here list thousands of dollars worth of products that he has consumed or expects to that could possibly be made by 3D Printing?
pasttense
Peat
Peat

Return to Conservation & Efficiency