Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Are the rats leaving the sinking ship?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Are the rats leaving the sinking ship?

Unread postby big_rc » Tue 14 Dec 2004, 16:25:34

Check out this article about insider selling on Wall Street. Anybody have any comments?

Insider Selling
Simon's Law: Everything put together falls apart sooner or later.

I don't think of all the misery, but of all the beauty that still remains.--Anne Frank
big_rc
Coal
Coal

Unread postby BabyPeanut » Tue 14 Dec 2004, 17:08:05

Some $6.6 billion in insider stock sales took place last month, the highest level since the $7.7 billion in sales tallied in August 2000, according to Thomson. Contrast that with the $144 million worth of stock that was bought by insiders last month.

Wasn't August 2000 about the time the Internet bubble popped? [smilie=aa.gif]
BabyPeanut
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby frankthetank » Tue 14 Dec 2004, 18:07:09

I read about this before...somethings going on here...most on here agree that the end has got to be near, maybe insiders are catching on..???

Think it popper around March 2000

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/charts ... &rand=2498
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ararboin » Tue 14 Dec 2004, 22:13:10

Take, for instance, the surge in shares of homebuilder NVR Inc., which has seen its stock jump from just over $432 a share at the start of the year to now trade about $730 apiece. That rise has come despite expectations for a slowdown in the housing market as interest rates begin to climb.

Also troublesome with that giant stock run-up is that NVR's insiders have been bailing out of the stock big time. They have sold more than $220 million in shares this year alone.

This is really interesting. I wonder what would cause the company's stock to explode upward by almost $300 in ten months and yet insiders are dumping their shares. Apparently the stockholders haven't heard about the possible real estate bubble bursting. Or they just can't be bothered.
ararboin
Lignite
Lignite

do sheep deserve to be shorn?

Unread postby Liamj » Sun 19 Dec 2004, 19:55:44

Amazing to think that this occurs in broad daylight and is completely legal.
Call me a cynic, but isn't it wholesale THEFT from investors, most notably pension funds?

1-Shareholders 'employ' management to protect their capital investment.
2-Management votes itself massive payouts (salary, share options, performance bonus, retention bonus..) liquidating capital or draining cashflow to do so, and exits stage left.
3-When recession/depression comes, Shareholders discover insufficient funds/assets to cover their investment (or workers entitlements, outstanding accounts). Unfortunately the new Management is not responsible for past errors, while the old Management suffers from memory loss, can't be found, wont talk, etc.

This has happened so often we need to settle on a durable term for it... can't remember who coined "corporate kleptocracy" but works for me.

Contemporary Govt inaction on Corp governance should be contrasted with hard line on crimes of the poor (jail for shoplifting food, for being intoxicated, for possessing recently outlawed drugs etc). Sure a very few white (collars) do get jail time, but nothing like proportionate to # of black &/or poor males who get jail for pissant crimes.

I like to believe that in the future jilted, hungry, and angry retirees will go looking for these crooks, haunting them from Palm Springs to Whistler to whereever they try to pile their cash.
Liamj
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby The_Virginian » Mon 20 Dec 2004, 17:09:08

over six billion vs. over 7 billion.

Hmm...

the market is still somewhat lower... less tech companies w/ high stock values, and heavy "finiancial sector" selling..

that would make the 6 bill at least as bad a s the seven of 2000.

Good find RC...yep the scramble is on, and oil prices had everything to do with the justified panic.
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watchv=Ai4te4daLZs&feature=related[/url] "My soul longs for the candle and the spices. If only you would pour me a cup of wine for Havdalah...My heart yearning, I shall lift up my eyes to g-d, who provides for my needs day and night."
The_Virginian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Economics & Finance