Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: Al Gore = Eco-Hero

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 29 Sep 2014, 00:41:48

dohboi wrote:"carbon credits"

They're just like this handy service:

http://www.cheatneutral.com/

:lol: :lol: :P :P

Ya know.. I actually don't razz on anyone about the carbon credits.

At the end of the day, if someone is donating money to save manatees or the Brazilian rainforest then that's good.

I wonder what Gore donates to ecological charity? Knowing about how Al Gore is, one could probably never get a straight answer on that, or whatever he calls charity may be all BS / he's making money off it. He's about like the Clintons. Slick.....
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Lore » Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:48:34

It's the easiest thing in the world to point at someone else as an excuse for not doing what's right.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ennui2 » Tue 30 Sep 2014, 01:24:25

Lore wrote:It's the easiest thing in the world to point at someone else as an excuse for not doing what's right.

In that respect, Al Gore has been a disaster, by stepping into the hypocrisy trap. It's chum in the water for the right-wing. Unfortunately nobody of his stature came around who lives even close to a no-impact-man lifestyle.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 30 Sep 2014, 07:41:51

ennui2 wrote:
Lore wrote:It's the easiest thing in the world to point at someone else as an excuse for not doing what's right.

In that respect, Al Gore has been a disaster, by stepping into the hypocrisy trap. It's chum in the water for the right-wing. Unfortunately nobody of his stature came around who lives even close to a no-impact-man lifestyle.

Hardly true, there are plenty of high profile people who build in a more Eco-friendly manner.
"By marketplace standards, the house is startlingly small," says David Heymann, the architect of the 4,000-square-foot home.

Constructed from a local limestone, the house has eight rooms in a long, narrow design to take advantage of views and breezes. A porch stretches across the back and both ends of the house, widening at one end into a covered patio off the living room.

The tin roof of the house extends beyond the porch. When it rains, it's possible to sit on the patio and watch the water pour down without getting wet. Under a gravel border around the house, a concrete gutter channels the water into a 25,000-gallon cistern for irrigation. In hot weather, a terrace directly above the cistern is a little cooler than the surrounding area.

Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into purifying tanks underground — one tank for water from showers and bathroom sinks, which is so-called "gray water," and one tank for "black water" from the kitchen sink and toilets. The purified water is funneled to the cistern with the rainwater. It is used to irrigate flower gardens, newly planted trees and a larger flower and herb garden behind the two-bedroom guesthouse. Water for the house comes from a well.

The Bushes installed a geothermal heating and cooling system, which uses about 25% of the electricity that traditional heating and air-conditioning systems consume. Several holes were drilled 300 feet deep, where the temperature is a constant 67 degrees. Pipes connected to a heat pump inside the house circulate water into the ground, then back up and through the house, heating it in winter and cooling it in summer. The water for the outdoor pool is heated with the same system, which proved so efficient that initial plans to install solar energy panels were cancelled.

The features are environment-friendly, but the reason for them was practical — to save money and to save water, which is scarce in this dry, hot part of Texas.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Lore » Tue 30 Sep 2014, 08:34:55

ennui2 wrote:

Nonsense, Please show me where Al Gore has done anything different other than he said he'd do? The right has just projected this image on him, but Al, is a firm believer that capitlism can thrive in a society where clean alternatives are used. He promotes sustainable growth that considers your environment, no matter what your financial status may be.

Personally, I don't believe it's possible to grow and tread lightly on a planet, at present, with 7 billion plus people on it.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dissident » Tue 30 Sep 2014, 09:16:09

Al Gore has been the victim of the standard demonization tricks used to bring down "trouble makers". All the inane yapping about flying planes and living in large houses is transparently biased and not the least bit genuine since none of the accusers ever subject themselves to the same demands. Al Gore never claimed to lead by example. Climate scientists at conferences don't promise to reduce their carbon footprints either. It is not relevant to presenting the facts of climate change.

It is galling how these paid denier shills and maggots like Rush Limbaugh (mister "CFCs are too heavy to make up into the stratosphere") can steer the discussion and frame it this way. But ultimately it is the sheeple who just itch to be led by the nose. Why is the presentation of scientific facts supposed to be about who can live the most ascetic lifestyle? That's just retarded. Perhaps we can, you know, solve the carbon emission and peak fossil fuels problem at the same time. That should be the priority.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 30 Sep 2014, 09:19:50

ennui wrote:
nobody of his stature came around who lives even close to a no-impact-man lifestyle.

And what howls of derision do you think they would have been met with by the rabid right if they had lived anywhere close to this lifestyle?

Gore told them something they really, really didn't want to hear, and told it in a compelling and convincing matter.

They will never ever let him live it down for that, no matter if he lives permanently in a cave or in a jet plane.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:02:11

:lol:
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Lore » Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:32:02

We all operate within the limitations of our social economic infrastructure. Which is to say, no matter how eco conservative you may be, you still have to function within the society that is built around you.

For instance, we live great distances from basic services and our jobs, therefore we drive autos to our destinations rather then take undeveloped mass transit. If affordable and efficient mass transit were available in compact, dence communities which we all should live in, it would certainly be more likely that we'd all tend to use it.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby radon1 » Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:32:29

dissident wrote: Why is the presentation of scientific facts supposed to be about who can live the most ascetic lifestyle?

Why ascetic? He can have the most hedonist lifestyle as long as his footprint is manageable, assuming that he does what he preaches. Unfortunately, his activity was most likely some lobbying that led to a growth in carbon emissions globally rather than its reduction. Such as some 'greenie' tech that simply outsources pollution to other production locations.

Having said this, he should definitely be praised for his useful contribution to educating people on the matter, even if it happened by accidence. But thinking that members of establishment may be able to do something about a matter that may be critical to their own position and lifestyle is self-delusional.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Lore » Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:50:26

A lot of the BAU crowd, would just love it if Al Gore went from one conference to another by train, or floated across the Atlantic in a sailboat. Maybe then he'd only be a quarter as affective.

He'd still be labeled as a kook for doing it while giving the opposition an even greater chance to slow up and shoot the messenger because they hate the message.

I'd give Al a carbon pass to keep spreading the message any day over the CEO of Exxon Mobile flying around in his corporate jet from one business holding to another.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 01 Oct 2014, 20:37:29

Lore wrote:A lot of the BAU crowd, would just love it if Al Gore went from one conference to another by train, or floated across the Atlantic in a sailboat. Maybe then he'd only be a quarter as affective.

Is it true he has a private jet? Or is that myth?

Anyhow.. it's like this.. doomers know who's a real deal and who isn't. Look at the climate folks on this forum. They actually do little things in their life that match up to their views.

You see threads about bike riding, and people post that maybe they chose to ride a bike to work, etc.

So that's the deal with Gore. He is not a true believer. He CAN'T be, and live the way he does.

What other leaders are there in this movement? RFK "I'm not changing my life one bit you just need new laws" Jr.?

Ya know, I actually like the idea of carbon offsetting -- if it's voluntary. So okay, have a private jet, but consciously offset that buy buying some extra acres of brazilian rainforest or whatever.

I think I read DiCaprio does carbon offsetting, so I respect that. I have no idea about Gore's contribution to charity -- does anyone know? If it's just a lump some to specified charities then that's not carbon offsetting, you have to connect your behavior directly to doing something extra to help the environment.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 01 Oct 2014, 21:38:21

A lot of the BAU crowd, would just love it if Al Gore went from one conference to another by train, or floated across the Atlantic in a sailboat. Maybe then he'd only be a quarter as affective.

He'd still be labeled as a kook for doing it while giving the opposition an even greater chance to slow up and shoot the messenger because they hate the message.

I'd give Al a carbon pass to keep spreading the message any day over the CEO of Exxon Mobile flying around in his corporate jet from one business holding to another.

That's the choice, isn't it.

Do like Gore--tell the truth as best you can--and you get walloped and hounded by the rabid horde.

Or just sit quiet because you're scared to death that the frenzied feral mob will hound you if you dare to speak anything remotely relating to the truth.

Which do you choose?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 16:57:37

More wise words from our beloved Eco-Hero:

"The decline of U.S. democracy has degraded its capacity for clear collective thinking, led to a series of remarkably poor policy decisions on crucially significant issues, and left the global community rudderless."

From The Future (2013)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 21 Jan 2015, 14:16:06

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/2 ... n&ir=Green

Pharrell And Al Gore Announce New Live Earth Concert For Climate Change Action

the purpose is "to have a billion voices with one message - to demand climate action now" from governments rather than to continue the world's reliance on fossil fuels.

(Let the snarking begin, or rather, continue!)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby kuidaskassikaeb » Wed 21 Jan 2015, 17:30:57

You have woken the trolls. Whatever personalizing this stuff is a mistake, but I don't care either.

http://internethalloffame.org/inductees/al-gore
None of then ever got mad because he invented the internet. Above is the entry for the internet hall of fame.

some cool quotes. He is almost literate enough to post here.

The conversation on global warming has been stalled because a shrinking group of denialists fly into a rage when it's mentioned.
Al Gore

As human beings, we are vulnerable to confusing the unprecedented with the improbable. In our everyday experience, if something has never happened before, we are generally safe in assuming it is not going to happen in the future, but the exceptions can kill you and climate change is one of those exceptions.
Al Gore

When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When you have neither, holler.
Al Gore

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... LQS98p6.99

I think I heard the third one before.

but yes he has certainly got rich. At least he hasn't killed anybody it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/decision2012/al-gore-has-thrived-as-green-tech-investor/2012/10/10/1dfaa5b0-0b11-11e2-bd1a-b868e65d57eb_story.html
kuidaskassikaeb
Coal
Coal

Unread postby kuidaskassikaeb » Thu 22 Jan 2015, 13:37:09

In a weird way I don't consider Gore a hero. Not because I don't like him, but because in some ways he's too big to intimidate, and he makes a lot as the spokesperson for global warming.

There are plenty of real eco-heros though that are not too big to mess with.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2 ... ate-change. For instance Katherine Hayhoe is somebody I never heard of

For the many scientists who consider themselves both political conservatives and supporters of the consensus position on anthropogenic climate change, ideology and party affiliation provide little shelter from attacks and harassment. Katharine Hayhoe is an atmospheric scientist at Texas Tech University, a political conservative and an evangelical Christian. In 2007, Terry Maple, the co-author of Newt Gingrich's forthcoming book on environmental entrepreneurship, asked her to write a chapter reviewing the scientific facts surrounding climate change. For most of his political career, Gingrich championed the virtues of science, but last year, while campaigning in the Republican presidential primaries, he dropped Hayhoe's chapter after Rush Limbaugh discovered her contribution and ridiculed her as a "climate babe."
"Nice to hear that Gingrich is tossing my climate chapter in the trash," Hayhoe tweeted on hearing the news. "100+ unpaid hours I could've spent playing w[ith] my baby . . ." The day after Hayhoe's tweet, the American Tradition Institute (ATI), a conservative think tank, announced that it had filed a FOIA request with Texas Tech University "relating to collaboration on a book, using public time and resources." The ATI's paperwork referred to Hayhoe as a "climate activist."
"I can delete the hate mail I got calling me a 'Nazi bitch whore climatebecile,'" Hayhoe says, "but responding to nuisance lawsuits and investigations takes up enormous amounts of time that could be better spent teaching, mentoring, researching, doing my job."
David Schnare heads the Environmental Law Center at the ATI, which since its inception in 2009 has sued the employers and former employers of a number of climate scientists, including Mann and James Hansen, the outspoken head of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies. The ATI wants the researchers' correspondence and research records. "We are not a venal organization," Schnare says. "Our law center seeks to defend good science and proper governmental behavior and to expose the converse. Citizens have the right to know how government money is spent. Scientists who feel they shouldn't have to respond to these requests shouldn't be working in a government institution, because this is the price of entering."

Michael Mann is constantly messed with
Mann directs Penn State University's Earth System Science Center. Several months ago, he arrived at his office with an armload of mail. Sitting at his desk, he tore open a hand-addressed envelope and began to pull out a letter. He watched as a small mass of white powder cascaded out of the folds and onto his fingers. Mann jerked backward, letting the letter drop and holding his breath as a tiny plume of particles wafted up, sparkling in the sunlight. He rose quickly and left the office, pulling the door shut behind him. "I went down to the restroom and washed my hands," he says. "Then I called the police."
For someone describing an anthrax scare, Mann is surprisingly nonchalant. "I guess," he says, "it's so much a part of my life that I don't even realize how weird it is."
"Weird" is perhaps the mildest way to describe the growing number of threats and acts of intimidation that climate scientists face. A climate modeler at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory answered a late-night knock to find a dead rat on his doorstep and a yellow Hummer speeding away. An MIT hurricane researcher found his inbox flooded daily for two weeks last January with hate mail and threats directed at him and his wife. And in Australia last year, officials relocated several climatologists to a secure facility after climate-change skeptics unleashed a barrage of vandalism, noose brandishing and threats of sexual attacks on the scientists' children.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/chinese-environmental-activist-faces-prison-sentence-for-publishing-books/2012/10/12/86e56f90-145a-11e2-9a39-1f5a7f6fe945_story.htm

It's not just the Us that does it the bad ass Chinese do too.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-do-environmentalists-keep-getting-killed-around-world-180949446/?no-ist

Violence unleashed against green activists is on the rise. London-based rights group Global Witness says more than 700 environmentalists were murdered in the decade that began in 2001. Either because documentation of such crimes is more thorough in Brazil than elsewhere or because its frontier is the most violent—perhaps both—more than half of the global death toll was recorded within its borders. In any event, Brazil is considered the most dangerous country in which to work as an environmentalist today.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n ... uAKPFBc.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter[/quote]

There are plenty of environmentalist heros to choose from if you don't like Gore. The bad guys play hard and they play dirty.
kuidaskassikaeb
Coal
Coal

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 22 Jan 2015, 15:11:44

Good points, k.

But since his name is in the title of the thread, here's some relevant news:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... l-williams

Davos 2015: World Bank chief makes climate action plea

Gore had started the first full day of events at the annual gathering in Davos by telling delegates: “This is the year of climate”.

It's really the Davos crowd that is most important to get on board. Money, after all, talks.

"The meeting brings together some 2,500 top business leaders, international political leaders, selected intellectuals, and journalists to discuss the most pressing issues facing the world, including health and the environment." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Economic_Forum
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate