Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Active shooter in Austin, Texas 31/7/2016

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Active shooter in Austin, Texas 31/7/2016

Unread postby careinke » Tue 02 Aug 2016, 15:48:51

Newfie wrote:Well it seems that the solution to glhigheay over crowding is more cars, which means more auto deaths, about 34,000 here each year. Not to mention how the gasses are polluting the atmospher and contributing to CC.

I advocate strictly limiting cars, making ever other street a pedestrian only zone, no new highway building. and other draconian measures.

+1, I think you are on to something here Newf. Vehicles kill WAAAAYYYY more people than guns. We should act decisively to end this curse.

Maybe start with limiting the size of the magaz..., I mean gas tanks. I mean why would ANYONE need a gas tank bigger than say...5 gallons? Five gallons is reasonable, especially if we limit the number of really big scary gu.... I mean vehicles. Really, why does anyone need a dangerous Hummer to drive around polluting the atmosphere, when you can get there just as quick in an EV??

We need to act soon.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 02 Aug 2016, 21:52:58

dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby PeakOiler » Thu 04 Aug 2016, 05:35:20

The fugitive has been caught near Atlanta:

http://kxan.com/2016/08/03/6th-street-shooting-suspect-arrested-near-atlanta/

The man who police say opened fire, killing a woman and injuring four others on 6th Street early Sunday morning is now in custody.

Endicott McCray, 24, was wanted on a murder charge when he was captured at a bus station in East Point, Ga, just outside of Atlanta Wednesday morning. The U.S. Marshal’s Fugitive Task Force tells KXAN that one of its members spotted McCray wearing a rain coat and noted that it caught his attention because rain coats are unusual this time of year.

The Marshals Service moved in and took McCray into custody without incident.
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PeakOiler » Thu 04 Aug 2016, 07:42:11

Well, if it isn't guns, then there's always knives:

One dead, 5 injured in London knife attack:

An American was killed and five others were injured after a man carrying a knife attacked people in London's Russell Square last night, police said during a press conference this morning.

Police said the attack was not linked to terrorism, and that mental health appears to have been a factor.

The man is 19 years old, but his name was not released. At a press conference early Thursday morning, Metropolitan Police Asst. Commissioner Mark Rowley said, "This was a tragic incident resulting in the death of one woman and five others being injured. Early indications suggest that mental health was a factor in this horrific attack."

London Knife Attack]

Let's make knives illegal.

Btw, I understand that ice picks cannot be purchased in Vermont. Is that really true?
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Thu 04 Aug 2016, 17:47:50

The carrying of knives is already illegal in the UK, unless you can prove that there is a legitimate reason for having them. Carrying a (boxed) set of kitchen knives home from the shops is OK, but a flick knife in a pocket would be considered an offensive weapon.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 04 Aug 2016, 18:34:23

There are already all kinds of rules against knives.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation

I was in a shop, I wanted a newpaper, but they were still in their binder. The lady says she will get a knife, I say no problem, whip out my pocket knife and cut the tie. I looked at her and smiled only to see in her face a look of complete terror. I gave her a buck, took my paper and left before she could call the cops on me. I. Ould just imagine her saying I threatened her with a knife and the cops hauling me off to the clink. They don't know the laws, that's for judges and lawyers.

As I mentioned elsewhere in many places the firearms definition has been expanded to include any "stored energy weapon." So, for instance, in NY State wrist restraint slingshots are illegal.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to North America Discussion