Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash"---was it right?

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Re: Oil Crash Movie Review

Unread postby auscanman » Mon 01 May 2006, 12:40:58

Just to confirm what you mean: how were they "pseudo-intellectual"? What types of people?

When you say, "into actually taking the rest of the film seriously," are you implying that it shouldn't be taken seriously, or that the producers were successful in pulling it off?

The Cinema that showed the film is renowned for its independent movies and is in an avante garde area of Toronto, The Annex. By 'pseudo-intellectual' I mean the sort of people who want to be seen to be into everything alternative and independent but whose interest is mainly superficial; to show how trendy they are.

My mention of shocking the audience into taking the film seriously was meant to credit the producers with being successful in pulling it off. I'm sure a significant percentage of the audience probably went in thinking this was some outlandish whacko theory being presented to them. The contrasting scenes of Azerbaijan brought home the geological reality to them, and removed some of the skepticism.

The producers said after the show that they plan on showing the film in independent theaters in a few other places (Dubai amongst others), and are eventually hoping to get it into mainstream cinemas in the US, although they conceded that they're at least a year away from that. If it does get into mainstream cinemas that would be massive... I'm sure all the vested interests will do their best to avoid that happening. So, unfortunately, it will be a very long time before the movie becomes available on DVD

For anyone going to the May 4th showing, get there early. It was sold out 10 minutes before start time and the HotDocs cinema is bloody big!
auscanman
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MattSavinar » Tue 02 May 2006, 02:03:53

auscanman wrote:I a statement that he made; that he wouldn't vote for a party that would try to power down the US economy really discredits him in my mind. .

That has more to do with a lack of understanding of the issue(s) involved on your part than any problem with me.

Best,

Matt
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby MattSavinar » Tue 02 May 2006, 02:11:27

auscanman wrote:I just got back from seeing Oil Crash Movie here in Toronto, and overall I'd give it 7/10.
I truly think it will take something shocking for the reality of PO to sink in with 99+% of the population. of PO.

Do you really want this to happen? What do you think the consequences would be if the average person understood these issues?

Best,

Matt
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Mesuge » Tue 02 May 2006, 08:11:12

Matt with due respect even most of the nastiest revolutions in history took off only with a few percent of the population concerned about the issue.

So if I may relate it to particular situation in Europe, first there could be longer strikes and blocades by truckers and farmes, next year some fires in the streets as the average city guy starts to feel the uncertainities, then some full blown massive revolts/riots, and finally populists/dictators rise to power etc.. One could say a classic timeline..

Obviously, the governments are not always that stupid, they called it damage control, so perhaps in their mind is better to create chaos than wait for the forthcomming natural meltdown. And we know the top brass knows about PO and its implications.

That correlates with the concept maintained by by the peaknik-911truthers who believe the recent surge of "terrorism" is of synthetic nature designed to smooth the transition into innitially covertly opressive state machinery, whereby you declare wars or ration food and energy in the end state quite easily to obidient and scared public..

If you look around, that's what is happening right now..
DOOMerotron: at all-time high [8.3] out of 10..
Mesuge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby waegari » Wed 31 May 2006, 18:13:08

Mesuge wrote:That correlates with the concept maintained by by the peaknik-911truthers who believe the recent surge of "terrorism" is of synthetic nature designed to smooth the transition into innitially covertly opressive state machinery, whereby you declare wars or ration food and energy in the end state quite easily to obidient and scared public..

You mean, like peakoil.com actually being a bushite puppet front?

I wasn't aware I was working for the CIA, but yeah, it does explain those strange unaccounted for swashes of money, landing in my bank account, ever since I started news editing.
The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function.

Al Bartlett
waegari
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jsb1969 » Wed 31 May 2006, 18:23:18

bumping bittorrent inquiry, anyone?
jsb1969
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Mesuge » Wed 31 May 2006, 18:53:26

waegari wrote:You mean, like peakoil.com actually being a bushite puppet front?

I wasn't aware I was working for the CIA, but yeah, it does explain those strange unaccounted for swashes of money, landing in my bank account, ever since I started news editing.

? No, it's more like:

9/11 hoax => easier post PO full scale police state implementation
DOOMerotron: at all-time high [8.3] out of 10..
Mesuge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby PraireRanger » Wed 30 Aug 2006, 04:13:52

It seems that the documentary is only being released to the film festivales and not a general limited engagement. Is anyone aware of a general North American release? I have sent Lava Productions a email some time ago concerning general release or dvd release and have not heard anything back... anyone? anyone?
PraireRanger
Wood
Wood

I saw this last night at AFI Fest in LA.

Unread postby lexicon » Mon 06 Nov 2006, 18:42:58

This movie was presented at the Arclight in Hollywood under the title: A Crude Awakening - Oil Crash. It was not in competition for awards, but there was a good crowd, not sold out but about 70-70% full. I would say this documentary is comparable to The End of Suburbia and in some ways better in the information it presents. Comparable in that there was a lot of the same 50's documentary and cartoon footage used and presented with a similar dry ironic tone. One of the things I really enjoyed in the presentation was that rather than rely strictly on talking heads to explain Hubbert's life and theories, the filmmakers dug up TV footage from 1975 where M. King Hubbert was explaining his ideas. They even included subtitles as it was difficult to hear what he was saying at times. Regarding those talking heads, Simmons and Colin Campbell were in their usual good form. The surprise for me was seeing Matt Savinar from lifeaftertheoilcrash.net being interviewed. He is really funny, in a dry morbid way. Someone was comparing the crash program needed to address Peak Oil as comparable to Kennedy's call to put a man on the moon by the end of the Sixties. Savinar snorted and said the Peak Oil situation is comparable to Kennedy calling for the world to colonize Pluto by the end of the Sixties.

Funny thing about the screening was that the sound broke down with about 5 minutes left. They stopped the film, saying they needed a couple minutes to fix a speaker connection before they could restart the film. While they worked on that, the moderator asked the audience if they had seen The End of Suburbia. I would say that easily 75% of the audience responded affirmatively. Then we watched the final 5 minutes, which I can say are not nearly as optimistic as the last 5 minutes of The End of Suburbia. The filmmakers were available for Q & A after the screening, so I asked them if they were familiar with the Hirsch Report and if they were aware of any international research into what it would take to conduct a crash program on an international level. They responded that they had the Hirsch Report linked to their website, but that they thought the possibility of a worldwide crash program was unlikely.

In a final analysis, while this may technically be the best documentary on Peak Oil to date, it might not be the best for introducing Peak Oil to the uninitiated. Not because of its pessimistic outlook, I would say these filmmakers actually have a sobering analysis of what is reasonable to expect. But I think The End of Suburbia takes more time in really spelling out the nuts and bolts of Peak Oil. A Crude Awakening explains it all, but while you're watching the horrifying images of oil provinces gone to decay while listening to a haunting Philip Glass score, some of the finer details being relayed through voiceover might get lost unless you're really listening.
lexicon
Peat
Peat

Re: I saw this last night at AFI Fest in LA.

Unread postby MattSavinar » Mon 06 Nov 2006, 21:37:40

lexicon wrote:
, Simmons and Colin Campbell were in their usual good form. The surprise for me was seeing Matt Savinar from lifeaftertheoilcrash.net being interviewed. He is really funny, in a dry morbid way. Someone was comparing the crash program needed to address Peak Oil as comparable to Kennedy's call to put a man on the moon by the end of the Sixties. Savinar snorted and said the Peak Oil situation is comparable to Kennedy calling for the world to colonize Pluto by the end of the Sixties.

To be clear: they just come and interview you for 4 hours and ask you a series of questions. It's not like I'm sitting next to David Goodstein or anything. His interview was probably 6 months and 500 miles removed from mine.

BTW, like how they made my apartment look like a survivalist bunker? It was right after Katrina and I had just bought a bunch of survival supplies like anybody with half a brain would. Those were sitting in the kitchen. They saw that and went wild, had me remove my stacks of books from my "office" (the corner of my bedroom back then) and other "normal" stuff and put in the survival supplies.

Good thing I didn't have a couple shotguns sitting around.
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby MattSavinar » Mon 06 Nov 2006, 21:41:24

waegari wrote:
Mesuge wrote:That correlates with the concept maintained by by the peaknik-911truthers who believe the recent surge of "terrorism" is of synthetic nature designed to smooth the transition into innitially covertly opressive state machinery, whereby you declare wars or ration food and energy in the end state quite easily to obidient and scared public..

You mean, like peakoil.com actually being a bushite puppet front?

Wow, you got money? They sent me a gay prostitute and a shipment of meth.

I told them there must have some type of mixup, that the evangelical church is down the street.

[smilie=smileinbox.gif]
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Movie: "A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash"

Unread postby Bas » Thu 15 Mar 2007, 15:54:18

A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash trailer

I've been looking everywhere for this movie that came out about a year ago but can't find it. The homepage (same as the trailer) says it's not yet out on dvd but doesn't give a date for when it will be either.

They do give however an adress you can email to if you're interested. So let's help a little in getting this docu/film published and drop them an email at [email protected] thanks!
Last edited by Bas on Thu 15 Mar 2007, 19:13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Bas

Re: "Crude Awakening" movie

Unread postby killJOY » Thu 15 Mar 2007, 16:37:32

YEs, I've been waiting a long time to get my hands on this for my class.

They've been very remiss about getting this out. They seem more interested in gaining accolades from film festivals.

Makes you wonder how sincere they really are about their message.
Peak oil = comet Kohoutek.
killJOY
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: "Crude Awakening" PO movie

Unread postby Bas » Thu 15 Mar 2007, 19:15:45

well, I don't know how big this company is, but I can imagine they don't want to make a loss with anything they produce, so yeah, the message might only be priority no. 2 for them. I still want to see it though.
Bas

Unread postby billp » Thu 15 Mar 2007, 19:44:19

I had one email communcation with Gelpke, producer of A Crude Awakening.

Search down for Crude at Shattuck - St. Mary's 50 year reunion

Some comments I read on Internet weren't to positive about the film.
billp
Coal
Coal

Unread postby MattSavinar » Thu 15 Mar 2007, 20:19:33

MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Cobra_Strike » Thu 15 Mar 2007, 21:56:35

Matt, look at the comment posted on the page...it attacks you directly...and look at what will replace the oil :P

zeratul123 (1 hour ago)
if we can't use oil then we will use hydrogen, you are ignorant matt savinar.
We stand here, as the light of other days surrounds us.
"Hail the Dead"
Cobra_Strike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mgibbons19 » Fri 16 Mar 2007, 07:27:42

The reason they schlep indie movies isn't to win awards. It's hoping that someone will pick it up and distribute it. Or maybe the lifetime channel will buy it.

Either way, it's about trying to sell the movie. ROI as mentioned earlier.
mgibbons19
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby MattSavinar » Fri 16 Mar 2007, 10:13:37

Cobra_Strike wrote:Matt, look at the comment posted on the page...it attacks you directly...and look at what will replace the oil :P

zeratul123 (1 hour ago)
if we can't use oil then we will use hydrogen, you are ignorant matt savinar.

like I give a shit.
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Re: "Crude Awakening" movie

Unread postby CrudeAwakening » Sun 18 Mar 2007, 00:06:04

killJOY wrote:Makes you wonder how sincere they really are about their message.

Yeah. Especially with that cheesy pun as a title :)
CrudeAwakening
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Book/Media Reviews