Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash"---was it right?

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Re: RE: A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash - FULL FEATURE

Unread postby Leanan » Mon 28 Jan 2008, 13:57:30

The thing is...sometimes filmmakers put their work on YouTube or Google Video themselves. Or allow it to be posted by fans. This is especially true with political-type documentaries that have been out for awhile (though some release it online the same day it's released in theaters). Not everyone wants to watch a movie on their computer screen, so offering a low-res version online can be a marketing technique. If they like what they see, they'll buy the DVD.
Last edited by Leanan on Mon 28 Jan 2008, 14:06:43, edited 1 time in total.
"The problems of today will not be solved by the same thinking that produced the problems in the first place." - Albert Einstein
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby MattSavinar » Mon 28 Jan 2008, 14:06:13

Leanan wrote:The thing is...sometimes filmmakers put their work on YouTube or Google Video themselves. This is especially true with political-type documentaries that have been out for awhile (though some release it online the same day it's released in theaters). Not everyone wants to watch a movie on their computer screen, so offering a low-res version online can be a marketing technique. If they like what they see, they'll buy the DVD.

Yep, that's what the makers of that Australian documentary did. If the OP wants to post a free high-quality PO documentry, then post that one or the 53 minute version of End Of Suburbia that was released online. There's others too. But that's obviously not the case here.
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Leanan » Mon 28 Jan 2008, 14:09:49

MattSavinar wrote:But that's obviously not the case here.

Is it? How do you know? Did you ask them? I'm asking, because I remember when the producers of Going Upriver allowed people to post it online. A lot of people who tried to share links/torrents got troll-rated to hell...when they were only doing what the film makers wanted.
"The problems of today will not be solved by the same thinking that produced the problems in the first place." - Albert Einstein
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby Twilight » Mon 28 Jan 2008, 14:40:29

The Corporation got a shareware release by its creators, which you can find on YouTube. Sometimes it's legit.
Twilight
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MattSavinar » Mon 28 Jan 2008, 15:11:18

Leanan wrote:
MattSavinar wrote:But that's obviously not the case here.
Is it? How do you know? Did you ask them? I'm asking, because I remember when the producers of Going Upriver allowed people to post it online. A lot of people who tried to share links/torrents got troll-rated to hell...when they were only doing what the film makers wanted.

Because the same person who posted this also posted a link to a UFO conference. Neither the makers of Crude Awakening or New Video (the copyright holders) have made any films about UFO Conferences. Click on the google video link, then click on the "more from this user".
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Leanan » Mon 28 Jan 2008, 15:18:14

Because the same person who posted this also posted a link to a UFO conference.

Yes, but they could have allowed people to post it. As makers of political documentaries have been known to do, especially when it's been out awhile. It's not like they have a long shelf-life, after all.

IOW, a "creative commons" license of some sort. Could you ask them, if you have a contact? If it's not with their permission, I'm sure they'd appreciate knowing.
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby roccman » Mon 28 Jan 2008, 15:24:28

MattSavinar wrote:And you wonder why more films like this DON'T get produced . . .Jackass.

Hey Matty - remember me bro? Yeah that's right - you and Kill Joy had fun with this last time someone else posted the links to CA here.

Remember when I said ,"you cannot be the alpha male everywhere"?? and that "this movie should be free". That statement got me banned from LATOC FROM HERE!!
Hey, but I'll still have a car wash and bake sale for ya once you visit me in sunny Phoenix... Oh - I forgot - "you are heavily armed"...
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MattSavinar » Mon 28 Jan 2008, 16:14:14

roccman wrote:
MattSavinar wrote:And you wonder why more films like this DON'T get produced . . .Jackass.

Hey Matty - remember me bro? Yeah that's right - you and Kill Joy had fun with this last time someone else posted the links to CA here.
Remember when I said ,"you cannot be the alpha male everywhere"?? and that "this movie should be free". That statement got me banned from LATOC FROM HERE!!
Hey, but I'll still have a car wash and bake sale for ya once you visit me in sunny Phoenix.Oh - I forgot - "you are heavily armed"...

I see you're back off your meds . . .
MattSavinar
Elite
Elite

Unread postby americandream » Mon 28 Jan 2008, 17:03:47

If the owner of this piece of property disapproves of this particular usage, it will be removed. In the meantime leave it be and let its idea disseminate, will you. The message is the valuable item here, not whether it's dissemination is this or that.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby roccman » Mon 28 Jan 2008, 17:23:33

MattSavinar wrote:
I see you're back off your meds . . .

That is all you have?

One sorry MF.
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby gampy » Mon 28 Jan 2008, 22:00:34

Thanks. Good film.

Ooops, I viewed a copyrighted work for free.

Hee Hee.
gampy
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Finally saw Crude Awakening

Unread postby charliebrownout » Thu 24 Apr 2008, 17:36:52

I wish this movie had received the publicity that Al Gore's movie did.
I can't stop thinking: Why? Why? Why? Why are people so stupid?
Why are they overlooking this? Why the hell couldn't I have been born Amish? Why...why...why....

Then my next thought is WHEN. That is an even tougher question than WHY. I'm wondering when it will all fall apart. When it will become apparent to everyone in the world what the underlying problem is?

I wish I had a crystal ball. I keep reading the news. I'm trying to watch the stories at the back of the paper (so to speak) because it seems like all the news worth noting is hidden in a dark corner. The front page is reserved for things everyone knows already without even reading (Britney Spears is nuts. Republicans are money-grubbers. Democrats fight each other--a lot. Duh. Soldiers don't like being in Iraq fighting an unwinnable war for oil. Duh.)
charliebrownout
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Finally saw Crude Awakening

Unread postby Ludi » Thu 24 Apr 2008, 17:58:26

"When" Now.
Ludi

Unread postby KillTheHumans » Thu 24 Apr 2008, 20:20:39

charliebrownout wrote:I wish this movie had received the publicity that Al Gore's movie did.

Why? Al Gore's movie was coherent and didn't make us Peakniks looks like crackpot survivalists. I just hope you found one of the free copies and didn't pay for it, the thought of increasing the gross national product by people wasting hard earned cash on that thing makes me want to barf.
charliebrownout wrote:I can't stop thinking: Why? Why? Why?

I found myself thinking the same thing when I watched it.
charliebrownout wrote:Why are people so stupid?

Maybe they were bored, and just felt like making the movie?
charliebrownout wrote:Why are they overlooking this?

Because it was a really, really awful movie?
charliebrownout wrote:Why the hell couldn't I have been born Amish?

You can always convert?
Freddy RULZ!

www.TrendLines.ca/scenarios.htm Home of the Real Peak Date ... set by geologists (not pundits) (or bankers) (or web "experts")
KillTheHumans
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby GoghGoner » Thu 24 Apr 2008, 22:20:21

KillTheHumans wrote: Why? Al Gore's movie was coherent and didn't make us Peakniks looks like crackpot survivalists. I just hope you found one of the free copies and didn't pay for it, the thought of increasing the gross national product by people wasting hard earned cash on that thing makes me want to barf.

I think you are funny but dead wrong about the movie. It is a great documentary and has a rating of 8.2/10 on imdb. By comparison, Inconvenient Truth got 8.1/10. IMDB
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Thu 24 Apr 2008, 22:24:26

I tried watching this movie but could only subject myself to about 30 minutes of it. There are some decent Peak Oil Movies, this is not one of them.
End of Suburbia was pretty good, even if it is a little dated at this point.
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 24 Apr 2008, 22:36:30

Tyler_JC wrote:I tried watching this movie but could only subject myself to about 30 minutes of it. There are some decent Peak Oil Movies, this is not one of them. End of Suburbia was pretty good, even if it is a little dated at this point.

I guess it is all a matter of taste, I loved this movie and tried to share it with family whereas End of Suburbia put me to sleep.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby KillTheHumans » Thu 24 Apr 2008, 22:42:20

GoghGoner wrote:
KillTheHumans wrote: Why? Al Gore's movie was coherent and didn't make us Peakniks looks like crackpot survivalists. I just hope you found one of the free copies and didn't pay for it, the thought of increasing the gross national product by people wasting hard earned cash on that thing makes me want to barf.
I think you are funny but dead wrong about the movie. It is a great documentary and has a rating of 8.2/10 on imdb. By comparison, Inconvenient Truth got 8.1/10. IMDB

Well that PROVES it then!! Whatever the sheeple think is best is OBVIOUSLY best. Well....except to the independant thinkers in the group. And I don't think "documentary" best describes stringing together 50's commercials and pretending it means we're going to run out of oil soon.
Freddy RULZ!

www.TrendLines.ca/scenarios.htm Home of the Real Peak Date ... set by geologists (not pundits) (or bankers) (or web "experts")
KillTheHumans
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby KillTheHumans » Thu 24 Apr 2008, 22:43:29

Tanada wrote:I guess it is all a matter of taste, I loved this movie and tried to share it with family whereas End of Suburbia put me to sleep.

I haven't seen End Of Suburbia...got a link to a free copy?
Freddy RULZ!

KillTheHumans
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby seahorse » Thu 24 Apr 2008, 23:22:17

I agree with Tyler, "End of Suburbia" was better. "Crude Awakening" put me to sleep.

What I liked most about End of Suburbia was the first half was an interesting history lesson on how the end of WWII began the rise of suburbia in the U.S., the car culture, and the American dream of "owning your own home."
seahorse
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Book/Media Reviews