Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

84 Lumber

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

What do you think of 84 Lumbers Superbowl Ad?

84 lumber supporting illegal immigration was offensive!
67%
84 lumber showing sympathy for illegal immigrants was beautiful!
33%

Total votes : 9

84 Lumber

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 06 Feb 2017, 21:01:57

Just a quick survey to see where you stand.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: 84 Lumber

Unread postby Cog » Tue 07 Feb 2017, 06:26:10

I already emailed the company and told them I would never purchase from them again. So I guess you know where I stand.

I'm glad companies who do not respect immigration laws are outing themselves. Makes my buying decisions much easier.

Here is the full ad. Not all of it was aired, but the Superbowl ad encouraged you to go to the company website and watch it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPo2B-vjZ28&t=6s
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 07 Feb 2017, 09:06:36

I went to there Facebook page and even on heavily Democrat Facebook a good third of the comments were negative. Their repeated statements thst they only hire legal workers and do not support illegal immigration were dismissed as clearly false BS CYA manuvering.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 07 Feb 2017, 12:39:42

Sub - Not sure how it works in other areas but within a few blocks of every major supplier of construction material (like 84 Lumber) is a group of illegal day works are gathered. And while 84 Lumber might not use them many of its customers might. And there's also another trick: using subcontractors who hire illegals keeps the company clean since even though they are doing the work the weren't "hired" by the company. Some years ago Walmart got stung by the feds for using a subcontractor that supplied hundreds of illegals to work in Walmart distribution warehouses. The feds didn't buy it and I think hit them with an $80 million fine.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Tue 07 Feb 2017, 16:52:08

Hire 5000 more agents and have them camp out at Home Depot, Lowes, and Wal-Mart in the morning and bust every single person that doesn't have a green card. Well worth the expense to me. I'd rather have a American citizen felon working on my roof than an illegal.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 07 Feb 2017, 20:43:18

Cog - I've made this point to others: there's no need for The Wall or to hunt down illegals to expell them. By far the most cost effective way to reduce the number if illegal workers is to send 500 rich white guys to prison. How difficult would it be to send a couple of hundred Hispanic agents to work under cover. Documented several paydays violating IRS regs and haul those business owners in with a high profile perp walk.

Granted the rich white guys will easily make bail. But go find stories by folks who have had the IRS go after them. In a word...brutal. The all the POTUS need do is announce the program will be continued. Yes: it will be harsh times for the families of all those illegal workers who suddenly find themselves with no income. Decency should require the US provide some maintenance for them as they RELOCATE to their original countries.

That process itself should be painful for any American to witness. But if the objective is to reduce the number of illegal immigrants this should work. But not only reduce the numbers here but also effective eliminate future illegal border crossing. But US consumers will pay a price. Either by having to pay higher wages for US citizens or pay qualified immigrant workers as per govt regs: both minimum wages and labor laws as well as IRS regulations. In either case it will disrupt productivity to some degree as well as higher costs.

It obvious one doesn't need an IQ of 180 to realize this would be a way to go IF ONE TRULY WANTED TO SOLVE THE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT PROBLEM. IHMO this will be the best measure of President Trump's resolve the situation. The Wall won't fix the problem. The Germans shot folks jumping the Berlin Wall and it didn't stop the efforts. Going afterr "sanctuary cities" won't solve the problem because ICE doesn't have the manpower to deal with the millions here as wells as new border crossers.

A year from now we should have our answer.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Wed 08 Feb 2017, 00:26:29

I agree with you on the hiring aspect. Its against the law to hire illegals. Go after the businesses as well.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Wed 08 Feb 2017, 06:28:35

Holy back-pedal. Now the owner and CEO of 84 Lumber says she supports Trump building the wall and the ad was subject to interpretation. LOL. Somehow this company has managed to anger its conservative customers and now it has angered its liberal ones. Perhaps she should teach a course in how to destroy your company in one easy step.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /97583534/
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 08 Feb 2017, 09:07:49

Cog - I can see what she means by the interpretation aspect. But she shot herself by blending two different stories. Obviously the woman used the illegal coyote route. But while there is The Wall that big opening door implies some sort of legal entry to the US.

Essentially the ad makes no sense since it appears some sort of smuggling operation is leading to a presumably legal entry. And now she's doing it again: pissing off both sides of the debate.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Wed 08 Feb 2017, 12:17:07

If it was in any way a legal immigration proceeding, there would have been a border agent accepting her visa documents when she went through that door. The Busch super bowl commercial showed a guy going through Ellis Island. There was still an immigration message in there but more nuanced.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 08 Feb 2017, 13:13:10

The CYA statement by the CEO shows how completely tone deaf she is on what the mood of the country that elected President Trump is and how it will be expressed.

To claim now that she is pro wall all along and people just were not smart enough to see the message they were sending with this ad is an insult to those few conservative customers she still had. At the same time by proclaiming herself pro President trump she has now offended those die hard liberal no wall people who she got on her side with the ad in the first place.

Like I said, tone deaf. In a highly charged political environment you have two successful choices. Total neutrality can work, but you have to really be totally neutral. Or you pick a side and support that side no matter what, which gets you the portion of the country and customers who also chose to support that side. Wishy-Washy trying to please both sides just offends everyone and makes you look incompetent.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 08 Feb 2017, 14:39:48

I checked their website. First, they claim to be one of the largest privately owned US companies (home office in PA) and thus no board of directors influencing company actions. And as I suspected from what I've seen in Texas their stores are mostly rural. Time will tell but that ad might put some of those Texas shop out of business. About 30+ years ago they didn't have much competition. But now there are Loews and other shops.

Doesn't take much to piss those rednecks off. Next time I'm in south Texas I'll check on the mood of the locals.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby hvacman » Wed 08 Feb 2017, 16:45:17

Cog wrote:If it was in any way a legal immigration proceeding, there would have been a border agent accepting her visa documents when she went through that door. The Busch super bowl commercial showed a guy going through Ellis Island. There was still an immigration message in there but more nuanced.

That aspect of the ad - Busch going through immigration and getting his visa stamped - bothered me, as it did not represent how the Germans or any other immigrants were processed when they came over in the mid-1800's. They didn't go through Ellis Island. Busch arrived in 1857. There was no Ellis Island until 1900. The Federal government did not even regulate immigration until 1890. They states did, if they bothered to at all. At least from Europe, immigrants just got on a boat, traveled to the US, got off, and went wherever they were going to go. No visas. No passports. No customs. Just go. Busch was an "undocumented" immigrant.
hvacman
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby careinke » Fri 10 Feb 2017, 17:22:17

hvacman wrote:
Cog wrote:If it was in any way a legal immigration proceeding, there would have been a border agent accepting her visa documents when she went through that door. The Busch super bowl commercial showed a guy going through Ellis Island. There was still an immigration message in there but more nuanced.

That aspect of the ad - Busch going through immigration and getting his visa stamped - bothered me, as it did not represent how the Germans or any other immigrants were processed when they came over in the mid-1800's. They didn't go through Ellis Island. Busch arrived in 1857. There was no Ellis Island until 1900. The Federal government did not even regulate immigration until 1890. They states did, if they bothered to at all. At least from Europe, immigrants just got on a boat, traveled to the US, got off, and went wherever they were going to go. No visas. No passports. No customs. Just go. Busch was an "undocumented" immigrant.

When the parking garage starts to fill up, you add a gate or guard to halt unwanted/excessive cars from coming in and mucking things up. It's not that the cars are "Bad" in some way, there are just too many to fit in the garage. Works the same with countries....
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to North America Discussion