Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

14 y/o Farm Dreamer's Reading List

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

14 y/o Farm Dreamer's Reading List

Unread postby Pops » Tue 14 May 2013, 09:41:29

Our granddaughter visited last week. At one point while we were working on the garden she said, "I want to be a farmer."

In my usual flippant, cynical, snide manner I popped off with, "Go to a cow college and meet a boy with land."

She said:" No Pops, a small farm like yours."

Doh!

I first started dreaming of having a small farm when I was about her age and set it as a goal. When we attained that goal one of my main stated objectives was to learn how to work a small farm so I might teach grandkids if they were interested.

Doh!

So now I have some 'spailin' to do! I have a letter to her composed somewhat but I'd like some suggestions for books I might send along. Eco-heavy is good, mild "Limits To Growth" is good but not too doomy small, sustainable, etc.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: 14 y/o Farm Dreamer's Reading List

Unread postby topcat » Tue 14 May 2013, 12:14:21

How bout the original 'Square Foot Gardening'? Let her have the training wheels first, very basic.
"No workey, no beef jerkey." TC

"Home is where the hot dogs are." TC
topcat
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Loki » Tue 14 May 2013, 21:59:36

I have no idea what a 14 year old girl would like, but the first book that came to mind was Peter Fossel's 'Organic Farming: Everything You Need to Know.' An introductory overview of the organic game, heavy on veg but mentions livestock and cut flowers. Tons of color photos and it isn't too long or technical.

If she has any interest in gardening, Steve Solomon's 'Gardening When It Counts' has some great practical gardening advice, enough to get a beginner started, combined with a tiny tinge of doom.

Some of the classic “back to the land” literature might be readable for a 14 year old girl, the Nearings' work, 'Five Acres and Independence,' or maybe Fukuoka's 'One Straw Revolution.'

For livestock farming, Gene Logsdon's 'All Flesh is Grass' seems like a great book, but I've only dipped into it, I really need to read it cover to cover. Joel Salatin's 'You Can Farm' is another possibility, but maybe too long and detailed.
A garden will make your rations go further.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 15 May 2013, 00:14:32

Out of print now but floating around is the once great monthly: "Grass Roots Magazine" (Australia); Ideal for teens or adults, focused on contributors articles on all manner of projects, Q & A, lots of sustainable and organic articles, traditional homecrafts and owner builder stuff, arts & crafts. Plenty of back issues around on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GRASS-ROOTS- ... 35c77f8152

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kempsey/ ... 1018766722

http://www.greeningofgavin.com/2012/06/ ... ition.html
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby careinke » Wed 15 May 2013, 00:38:42

How about a subscription to Mother Earth News? Lots of great stuff in there and a subscription is really cheap compared to other Mags.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Wed 15 May 2013, 07:10:57

Good ideas! I thought about "5sc" just this morning and I own Flesh is Grass
Maybe the MEN subscription would be the best, I think II'll do that.

I may buy some of the Grass Roots for me.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby topcat » Thu 16 May 2013, 21:36:43

Along the mag script idea, we get both TMEN and Countryside. Been liking Countryside much more lately.
"No workey, no beef jerkey." TC

"Home is where the hot dogs are." TC
topcat
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Book/Media Reviews