Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What percentage of the population knows about peak oil?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

What percentage of the population knows about peak oil?

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sun 02 Nov 2014, 19:57:02

Just wondering. I think most people are oblivious to peak oil. The most popular video on Youtube about peak oil has well under a million views. I would expect a video on something as important as peak oil to have well over a million views. Yet the most popular videos about peak oil have very few views. This is good proof that only a small percentage of the population knows about peak oil. Well they will be in for an ugly surprise when their economy is destroyed by insufficient oil supplies.

The fact that the main stream media almost never talks about peak oil is just proof that the governments want people to remain ignorant on peak oil so that they don't go on up-risings. If everyone know about peak oil and its consequences, then we would have a revolution to overthrow the current government right now. But the government doesn't want that, so they keep the public ignorant about peak oil and other important issues.

I think more people should become aware of peak oil because of how important it is. I mean people pay far more attention to far less important issues like gay prides and atheism in the USA than peak oil. Atheism and gay prides are not important because they don't affect every aspect of your life. Oil usage affects virtually all aspect of your life. In fact, without oil you would be dead. Without oil, there wouldn't be any food being delivered to supermarkets because the trucks that deliver the food run on oil. Without oil, there will be no food in the supermarkets, and you would starve to death. Oil is a matter of life or death. No oil means no life for you. Oil matters indefinitely more than gay prides and atheism, and yet it gets far less attention by the media.

The main stream media is a joke. They publicize the death of a pop star, like Michael Jackson, as the most important thing in the world, when it should actually be something nobody should give a shit about. Yet things you should care about, like peak oil, is hardily ever mentioned by the mainstream media.

I believe our society and humanity is fucked because they care too much about trivial things. Yet they don't do anything to solve the important issues of humanity. We spend all of time and effort worrying about trivial things, and yet we forgot to care about important things like peak oil. Humanity is fucked unless they do something to stop itself from becoming extinct.

I think at this rate, we will become extinct soon because of our stupidity. We can't do a thing about controlling our population because we always incorrectly believe that more people is always better. There is more than enough people on this planet. There is way more people on this planet than is necessary. A population of only 300 million is more than enough for ensuring the survival of our species. We don't need 7 billion people on this planet overconsuming and producing waste/pollution. We need less humans consuming and producing waste. Yet this miserable species, known as Homo "Sapiens", continues to chug out an addition 200,000 people a day on this planet. We add 80 million extra people on this planet every year. When will people realize that is way too many people on this planet, and this planet certainly can't sustain 7 billion or more people in the long run?

So I went on a completely separate rant on overpopulation. Yes the world is overpopulated. Anyone who denies this is retarded. You are a mouthbreathing, motherfucking retard for denying that the world is overpopulated if someone presents you evidence of it.

Humanity is totally ****. We spend all day wasting our times on pointless issues. Yet our major issues like peak oil and overpopulation are never addressed. Especially overpopulation. This issue is never addressed, resulting in more and more useless humans added to this planet everyday. Peak oil is never addressed resulting in us becoming more and more likely to have a massive catastrophe of unimaginable proportions wiping out several billion people within a few decades.

And I end this rant. I have lost all hope for humanity. We will eventually overpopulate this planet to the point where we deplete all of its essential natural resources. Without any natural resources to survive, mankind experiences a massive population crash, and humanity is reduced down to a population of under 2 billion.
Last edited by Tanada on Sat 08 Nov 2014, 00:06:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: profanity cut
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: What percentage of the population knows about peak oil?

Unread postby careinke » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 17:40:15

Looks like you are getting closer to the acceptance phase. Humanity is lost, but you have better odds than most. You just have to act on your knowledge. Knowledge without action, is worth nothing.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Timo » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 17:49:55

Perhaps the more pertinent question would be what percentage of the population cares about peak oil?

The answer to that question is closer to zero than can be measured. Most people consider any discussion of peak oil as empty rhetoric, devoid of fact, and useless to think about. Humanity is doomed to our own stupidity.
Timo

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 18:20:30

careinke wrote:Looks like you are getting closer to the acceptance phase. Humanity is lost, but you have better odds than most. You just have to act on your knowledge. Knowledge without action, is worth nothing.

I still haven't figured out how to survive peak oil. I know it is here. But I have no idea to survive the upcoming apocalypse that will be caused by oil depletion. Most of my friends are still in denial of peak oil. They will probably remain in the denial phrase until they see the collapse is actually happening.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 18:36:51

People have lived without oil before there was just less of them.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby wildbourgman » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 20:47:09

DesuMaiden wrote:
careinke wrote:Looks like you are getting closer to the acceptance phase. Humanity is lost, but you have better odds than most. You just have to act on your knowledge. Knowledge without action, is worth nothing.

I still haven't figured out how to survive peak oil. I know it is here. But I have no idea to survive the upcoming apocalypse that will be caused by oil depletion. Most of my friends are still in denial of peak oil. They will probably remain in the denial phrase until they see the collapse is actually happening.

Maybe the process won't be a severe shock like many of us thought it would be say in the mid 2000's. Maybe the national debt and the endless money printing in most countries won't cause massive currency crisis either.
I'm getting around to the thought that it's possible that we'll keep going so slowly into oblivion that there's really nothing to fear. Our children and grand children won't even know anything is out of the ordinary because rising prices and inflation have become normal.

That's why it's almost not a bad thing that so many are tuned out because they are truly blissful even as our civilization crumbles. I do think you can make moves today in order to help you maintain a higher standard of living and more comfort as this process continues but your not going to change it.
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal

Unread postby wildbourgman » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 20:52:37

Shaved Monkey wrote:People have lived without oil before there was just less of them.

Exactly!

I did a little research a few years back and you can do the same if you would like. Take the total population on the Arabian penusula prior to finding and producing oil say in the mid 1950's, then figure the population now. The pre 1950's population is what that area has to get back to in order to be sustainable without oil income. That's just one area of the world, now extrapolate that as you see fit.
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 21:44:21

DesuMaiden wrote:I still haven't figured out how to survive peak oil. I know it is here. But I have no idea to survive the upcoming apocalypse that will be caused by oil depletion.
There are 2500 threads about this under "Planning for the Future". They were much more active years ago.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 22:33:24

Keith_McClary wrote:
DesuMaiden wrote:I still haven't figured out how to survive peak oil. I know it is here. But I have no idea to survive the upcoming apocalypse that will be caused by oil depletion.
There are 2500 threads about this under "Planning for the Future". They were much more active years ago.

How would I make sure I'm not one of the 5 billion people who will cease to exist when fossil fuels are gone? How do I make sure I'm one of the 2 billion people max who will survive in a post oil world?
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby careinke » Tue 04 Nov 2014, 15:42:04

DesuMaiden wrote:
Keith_McClary wrote:

How would I make sure I'm not one of the 5 billion people who will cease to exist when fossil fuels are gone? How do I make sure I'm one of the 2 billion people max who will survive in a post oil world?

Well I'm using Permaculture for me and my extended family, (plus others who are interested). So far it is working. 8)

To paraphrase Jack Spirko on The Survival Podcast: "Ways to make your life better if things go bad, or even if they don't"

The key is to DO SOMETHING, all the time.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 04 Nov 2014, 18:30:02

Timor - "Perhaps the more pertinent question would be what percentage of the population cares about peak oil?" Exactly. IMHO the vast majority of the public actually understands something is wrong with the energy situation even if they can't grasp the details like our band of brothers here. Same holds for the effects of GHG.

There is ignorance of a problem due to the lack of knowledge. And then there's ignoring a problem. Same root word yet vastly different dynamic, eh? LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby IM_Rich » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 13:48:19

Does anyone have any Soylent Green recipes?
IM_Rich
Wood
Wood

Unread postby wildbourgman » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 14:02:52

First you have to make a roux, add onions and garlic and cook them down, then brown your meat while adding Tony Chachere's and Louisiana hot sauce to taste. Just cook that down until it's tender, tender and don't forget to leave the bones in for flavor, that is very important. Now just cook some rice and your ready to go.

Oh, wash your rice three times before you cook it so it's not too sticky. That is much better than Soylent Green.
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 15:29:47

I need to learn how to cook Carp, Lake Erie is my best bet for a long term food supply and it has zillions of Carp most people do not eat. Big ones.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Timo » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 15:40:30

IM_Rich wrote:Does anyone have any Soylent Green recipes?

Actually, yes. I give my diabetic dog Soylent Green every day. I adopted her from rescue when she was only two months old. She had already been spayed by then, which is several months premature for a puppy to be spayed. The result has been that her bladder is permanently weak, and she tends to pee at inapporpriate times in inappropriate places. But, there's a treatment for that, and it is called Proin. It's a pill, about the size of a large nickle, and twice a day, after her insulin, i shove one of those PEE PILLS down her throat. I whisper to her before hand every time, "It's pee pill. It's pee pill."
Timo

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 15:45:38

ROCKMAN wrote:Timor - "Perhaps the more pertinent question would be what percentage of the population cares about peak oil?" Exactly. IMHO the vast majority of the public actually understands something is wrong with the energy situation even if they can't grasp the details like our band of brothers here. Same holds for the effects of GHG.

There is ignorance of a problem due to the lack of knowledge. And then there's ignoring a problem. Same root word yet vastly different dynamic, eh? LOL.

Even better question, is what percent of the population is even mentally equipped to handle the concept of peak oil and to distinguish between what is commonly known and what is left after you discard all the bullshit. Maybe 3%. Maybe, the percent of the USA population that votes 3rd party, may 1.3%.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby MonteQuest » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 18:02:08

Tanada wrote:I need to learn how to cook Carp, Lake Erie is my best bet for a long term food supply and it has zillions of Carp most people do not eat. Big ones.

I eat carp all the time here in Missouri. Deep fried with cornmeal is best. But learning how to "score" the fish is key to getting around all the bones.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MonteQuest » Fri 07 Nov 2014, 18:06:07

DesuMaiden wrote: How would I make sure I'm not one of the 5 billion people who will cease to exist when fossil fuels are gone?

You probably can't. Be self-sufficient and indispensable to others, for starters. Be remote and isolated.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion