Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Wetbulb T Death: Here Now; More To Come

Re: Soon It Will Be So Hot Workers Outside Will Die--Holdren

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 08:56:51

Oh so many comments.

While I find Cogs position odd and disturbing it is his position and I find Cog has usually thought such things through. I suspect that Cog has a particular theological perspective that is rare on Peak Oil, but less so among the population. Could be wrong.

Holden's comment is really pretty coconservative. It may sound shocking but think about it, most of us here believe far worse will befall humanity and Earth. So it's a very mild statement.

Is this the advice Obama is getting? If so it may be why he is so silent on these matters.

Or...is it the most Holdren is allowed to say?

In either case it's pretty lame that 7-1/2 years into the HOPE presidency this is the best kind of data we are getting out of it.

Yes, folks die of heat stroke all the time. So if Holdren was trying to get attention it's a poor analogy or example to use. Very few workers labor outdoors and the people in power are not directly effected by it. So who cares? It a it me or mine.

Now if he said "heat waves of sufficient magnitude to disrupt the food production and the overall trade balance causing multinationals to loose trillions" an approximate equal statement, then it would maybe have had some weight.

Idiots. I feel like Custer, surrounded by idiots!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 09:14:15

I think he assumed that most of us were smart enough to realize that, even if we don't happen to work outside for our livelihood ourselves, we depend on those workers to grow and harvest our food, build and fix our buildings and roads...

If fewer and fewer people can work outside without dying, we are all going to be dead pretty soon.

Not to mention increased use of AC will be another feedback, requiring more electricity some of which will no doubt still be from ff...

The places where these types of temperatures will hit first and hardest may be a bit different from what people think. One of the highest wet bulb temperatures ever recorded in the US was in Appleton, Wisconsin, of all places. where it went over 33 C (92 F) in 1995 (anything over 34 C/95F for more than a couple hours: everyone dies, even if they are in the shade in high winds at complete rest).

https://books.google.com/books?id=0QTSB ... in&f=false
Last edited by dohboi on Tue 12 Apr 2016, 10:10:23, edited 2 times in total.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 10:00:50

Well then he assumed wrong.

As Tanda noted elsewhere, take 0 random NYers. Better, take 10 random Oakies.

As the Presidents Science Advisor he is de facto his Science Spokesman. Piss poor bit of communicating there. You gotta convince the non believers.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 10:12:25

"he assumed wrong"

Apparently so. But pretty much no matter what he says, he is not likely to convince most of the 'non-believers,' since their beliefs aren't based on truth or logic or science.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 10:42:10

I got it. When I sell my soon to be flooded South Florida home I will take the proceeds and buy land near a limestone cave. Subterranean temperatures quickly reach 55 degrees a few meters below the surface. From my cool shelter I will be able to continue optimistic forecasts for years to come here on peakoil.com about all the love and devotion coming soon to transform our culture. haha :)
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:24:25

So they were right when they said that we are advocating going back to "living in caves"!!?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:32:37

Ibon wrote:I got it. When I sell my soon to be flooded South Florida home I will take the proceeds and buy land near a limestone cave. Subterranean temperatures quickly reach 55 degrees a few meters below the surface. From my cool shelter I will be able to continue optimistic forecasts for years to come here on peakoil.com about all the love and devotion coming soon to transform our culture. haha :)

I read a few years ago about a company planning to build a huge server farm to proved cloud storage somewhere around Boulder, Colorado. The theory was because even in mid summer the temperatures in the area are rarely over 65 degrees F their annual cooling costs would be very low compared to the competing sea level server farms in California. I don't know how that plan turned out, but it had an interesting theory to back it up. Maybe you can put a server farm in your big cave and profit directly off the internet?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby evilgenius » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:54:02

I suppose what this means for the mid-term is mass movement of people. They will go to where the rumors say it is better to live. Once those kinds of rumors get started they are very hard to snuff out, even if all of the people who went there fell into a hole and were never heard from again. Can it be that economics and war will cease to be the largest drivers of such mass movement of people? If so, what would that mean for the time frames within which these movements take place?
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Lore » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 12:10:42

I think it's pretty obvious the economies across the globe will crash, permanently. It'll be back to Barter Town as people migrate from pillar to post.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 12:16:47

evilgenius wrote: Can it be that economics and war will cease to be the largest drivers of such mass movement of people?

Yes. To be replaced by consequences of human overshoot and limits that arise in each bio-region that will force this migration. This will be so disruptive that the economic system as we know it as well as the role of government will be transformed. Government will have to administrate the refugee camps and the resettling of millions. The rationing of resources. These physical consequences will trump any ideological consideration about the role of government. This will be crisis management for decades until some plateau is reached which could be multi generational. This is part of what transforms a culture.

Think about it. In the face of these changes there is no longer the polarization that we currently see as to the role of government and the split of conservative / liberal. The polarization dissolves away as part of crisis management.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 12:17:35

Ibon,

Buy a cave in Belize, with a small creek coming out!

Some of them are really pretty amazing.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 12:21:47

Newfie wrote:Ibon,

Buy a cave in Belize, with a small creek coming out!

Some of them are really pretty amazing.

Where the creek flows only a few hundred meters to the sea, in a protected bay. I will welcome you and your wife with cave cooled coconut water.
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Lore » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 12:26:30

Ibon wrote:Think about it. In the face of these changes there is no longer the polarization that we currently see as to the role of government and the split of conservative / liberal. The polarization dissolves away as part of crisis management.

It will also bring back the old tribal, race, ethnic and role differences between women and men. A giant cultural step backwards.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 12:38:31

Subjectivist wrote:-snip-

I read a few years ago about a company planning to build a huge server farm to proved cloud storage somewhere around Boulder, Colorado. The theory was because even in mid summer the temperatures in the area are rarely over 65 degrees F their annual cooling costs would be very low compared to the competing sea level server farms in California. I don't know how that plan turned out, but it had an interesting theory to back it up. Maybe you can put a server farm in your big cave and profit directly off the internet?

Moore's Law caught up with them. The average server "farm" today is one large rack with integral cooling. Each slot inside contains multiple physical servers and each physical server services anywhere from a few to a few hundred virtual web servers depending upon web traffic. These integrally cooled racks don't even need computer rooms - just enough space to have service clearances, and an exhaust duct to blow hot air out.

The largest and most powerful (unclassified) scientific computer (PEREGRINE) exists within the NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory) within eleven water cooled racks - and the warmed water is then used to heat the building that houses the computer. It is used to simulate the behavior of the National Electrical Grid when various renewable energy sources are attached in various topographies.

No, not one of my designs. When they kicked off the project, I was already relegated to managing a group of aging engineers who were sustaining my earlier computer designs - mostly figuring out how to substitute newer, faster, and cheaper repair parts for the originals.

In this view, the green underfloor piping is part of the building's chilled water loop - and the heat is pumped out of it and concentrated for hot water and space heating within the building.
Last edited by KaiserJeep on Tue 12 Apr 2016, 12:43:37, edited 1 time in total.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 12:40:39

Lore wrote:
Ibon wrote:Think about it. In the face of these changes there is no longer the polarization that we currently see as to the role of government and the split of conservative / liberal. The polarization dissolves away as part of crisis management.

It will also bring back the old tribal, race, ethnic and role differences between women and men. A giant cultural step backwards.

Not necessarily. Remember the crisis of WWII when women first entered into male dominated professions. Crisis breeds novel arrangements.
Practicality trumps social stereotypes. Folks that have high emotional intelligence and excel at cooperation will gain status and be put to work. Those holding on to divisive stereotypes will not get the best tents at the refugee camp.

Come on Lore, step out of your negative Eeyore whining and say something, just once, that is a bit positive . You are one of the most singular negative people on this site........ stretch a little....it feels good.
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 13:25:59

dohboi wrote:
Climate change is a major threat to human health, with extreme heat likely to kill 27,000 Americans annually by 2100, according to a report released Monday ...

Obviously this isn't good. But in a world with well over 7 billion people, projected to be a good 9 billion people by 2050, 27,000 is a piddly number.

By then, the problems from food, pollution, flooding, and (very likely) disease related to warming will completely dwarf such a number.

Today, about 2.5 million people die JUST in the US each year and over 55 million die globally each year.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 14:30:21

I'm pretty sure that's just for the US. And yeah, I'm quite sure this is a vast understatement.

And yes again, other problems cause by GW will likely cause much more damage much sooner.

But I'm not sure people realize fully that just existing outside, and especially trying to work in the heat, will become more and more lethal to more and more people, till pretty much anyone out in the heat in certain areas in certain times of the year will end up dead. This is one of the many horrors coming at us. Not the first, perhaps, and not the most lethal yet, especially in most parts of the US. But still on its way. And ever more certainly with each billion tons of CO2 we dump into the atmosphere.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby clif » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 15:41:30

How's about we put 2 and 2 together here;

If we are suffering from 95 degree wet bulb conditions,

so are the other animals and plants

what happens to them?

Also what happens to the food they were supposed to be for us??????????????????????????????????????
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 17:20:52

Cliff, you are right, and they don't have AC or artificial caves for retreat.

That's why statements like Holden's irk me, I hear them as a form of greenwashing. They SOUND like they are meaningful, but in reality they minimize the threat, put us back into a coma.

I know it's not PC to shout "the sky is falling" or "fire" in a theater. But if the sky IS falling, or there is IS a fire, well then you have an obligation to say so, LOUDLY.
Last edited by Newfie on Tue 12 Apr 2016, 17:43:23, edited 1 time in total.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 17:36:59

That old saying in Mexico......solo gringos y perros caminan por la tarde....

Increase the siesta time from 10-4pm. Work shifts start at 5:00am - 10:00am and then from 4:00pm - 7:00pm

Today we are tearing down the roof of our old wharehouse as we will be putting up an owners cabin here. At 6500 feet the temperature at 3:00pm was 77 degrees.
Ibon
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate