Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Was Thomas Malthus right the whole time?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Was Thomas Malthus right the whole time?

Unread postby MonteQuest » Wed 19 Nov 2014, 23:10:19

KaiserJeep wrote:
MonteQuest wrote:-snip-

Then why not build a dome here on earth, rather than at the top of an "energy-expensive gravity well"?

Because this is the surface of a planet that is rapidly becoming unsuitable to live on.

But space is not only unsuitable, it's an inhospitable environment.

A dome on earth could be made as "suitable" as any space habitat and be far more hospitable.

So, why struggle up through the gravity well?

Where, up there, are the greener pastures?
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 19 Nov 2014, 23:17:22

OK, but the Earth is full of hostile humans, who have consumed all other species, except other humans. Think of them as super-predators.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MonteQuest » Wed 19 Nov 2014, 23:41:45

KaiserJeep wrote: Competition causes evolution.

No, it influences natural selection.

Reproductive rate, rather than death rate, drives natural selection.

Phrases such as "the struggle for survival" and "survival of the fittest" have had an unfortunate consequence. They tend to emphasize fighting for food as the prevalent means of selection. This reinforces erroneous thinking that the strongest and fastest individuals as having a selective advantage over weaker and slower individuals. But if this were true, every species would continually gain in strength and speed. Because this is not happening, selection against increased strength and speed is occurring and limits the process.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 16:58:51

I think that YOU are discussing evolution as BAU, whereas I am discussing evolution as part of an incredibly hostile environment, where everybody not part of your extended family or community is trying to kill you and eat you. The social dynamics are a tad different between those two scenarios.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MonteQuest » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 21:12:48

KaiserJeep wrote:OK, but the Earth is full of hostile humans, who have consumed all other species, except other humans. Think of them as super-predators.

Ever watch the Dome TV series? Outsiders can't get in. 8)
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MonteQuest » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 21:14:08

KaiserJeep wrote:I think that YOU are discussing evolution as BAU, whereas I am discussing evolution as part of an incredibly hostile environment, where everybody not part of your extended family or community is trying to kill you and eat you. The social dynamics are a tad different between those two scenarios.

Still doesn't result in evolution.
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion