Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

'Living Within Limits: ...' Garrett Hardin

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

'Living Within Limits: ...' Garrett Hardin

Unread postby seldom_seen » Wed 07 Dec 2005, 16:12:01

Living Within Limits: Ecology, Economics and Population Taboos
by Garrett Hardin, 1993. Oxford University Press.

I read this book back in 1993. I recently pulled it off the shelf as I wanted to read the section on nuclear power (which Hardin titled, Nuclear Power: A Nonsolution).

When I opened this book I was somewhat surprised and amused to find out that I was already aware of Hubberts predictions on oil production/depletion. It must not have resonated as loudly in 1993 as it does recently. There really is a lot to digest in this book, so I'm not surprised that it did not sink in with full force.

Hardin has a chapter titled 'From Jevon's coal to Hubbert's Pimple' (there is no mention of a Hubbert's peak, but Hubbert's pimple).

With regards to Hubbert's pimple, Hardin writes:

As one traces this curve from the evanescent present into the unavoidably near future the numerate viewer experiences something of a cold chill traveling down his spine.

He goes on to say:

Too many people unfortunately expect the curve of available energy to continue to increase exponentially forever. As energy inputs start to fall short of our exponential expectations there will be a period that is characterized by widespread fear and denial of the facts. This will be followed by what we can only designate by the pitifully inadequate word 'shock.' Beyond that lies the pain of 'social chaos'--also inadequate words.

Interesting observations, when I read the above paragraph about "widespread fear and denial of the facts." My first thought was of Jerome Corsi and his book touting 'abiotic' oil. Based on Hardin's writing it seems to me that we (as a civilization) are clearly in the 'fear and denial' stage and we have not reached the outright 'shock' stage as of yet.

Garrett Hardin is most widely known for his economic/ecological theory:

The Tragedy of the Commons

Published in Science magazine in 1968, and which, in my opionion, should be well understood by anyone involved in decision making or discussion regarding common resources (air, water, oceans, forests, et cetera, et cetera).

The late Garrett Hardin is not a feel good "50 simple things you can do to save the earth" type ecologist. He is "unfailingly serious and his analysis is penetrating." As Paul Ehrlich says on the book jacket "fuzzy thinkers will hate this book." His writing is captivating and he has a great since of humor.

A great ecological thinker/philosopher of our time. I highly reccomend this book or anything by Garrett Hardin if you are trying to gain greater understanding of our current shituation.
seldom_seen
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Book/Media Reviews