Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Dominoes begin to fall - small Balkan sparks world conflict

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Dominoes begin to fall - small Balkan sparks world conflict

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 17:15:55

<b>Russia to "change policy" on Georgian regions</b>

"The declaration and recognition of Kosovo independence will force Russia to adjust its line towards Abkhazia and South Ossetia," Interfax quoted a foreign ministry statement as saying.

The statement did not say if the adjustment would involve Russia giving diplomatic recognition to the two regions, which broke away from Georgian rule in fighting in the 1990s and are now backed by Moscow.

Russian officials have linked Kosovo's status to ex-Soviet separatist regions, saying any recognition of the Serbian province as an independent state will create a legal precedent that will be followed by others.

President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday he had a plan on how to respond if Western states recognize Kosovo's independence. He did not disclose any details of the plan.

http://www.b92.net/eng/news/world-artic ... v_id=47735

<b>Kosovo independence could spark seperatist wars worldwide</b>

Countries around the world with separatist problems -- ranging from Spain to Sri Lanka -- have expressed concern at Kosovo's split from Serbia.

Czech President Vaclav Klaus warned that Kosovo's independence could unleash a domino affect in Europe.

"Some parties in other states could realise that they do not feel completely at ease within a big state in which they are now," Klaus said in a television interview.

Some states see Kosovo as a dangerous precedent for other separatist movements. Cyprus is already split, with a Turkey-recognised statelet in the north. Spain has long struggled with radical Basque nationalists.

Sri Lanka said Kosovo's declaration of independence could set an "unmanageable precedent".

The foreign ministry said Kosovo's action "could set an unmanageable precedent in the conduct of international relations, the established global order of sovereign states and could thus pose a grave threat to international peace and security."

http://www.eubusiness.com/news-eu/1203272221.49

<b>Troops on standby for Kosovo</b>

British troops are on standby to deploy at short notice to Kosovo after it declared itself an independent nation.

link

<b>Unilateral recognition of independent Kosovo illegal – Moscow</b>

The unilateral recognition of independent Kosovo is illegal from the point of view of international laws, as it contradicts UN Security Council resolution 1244, the Helsinki Final Act and agreements reached at the Contact Group, first deputy press secretary of the Russian president Dmitry Peskov told the news channel Vesti.

http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2.htm ... &PageNum=0

<b>Kosovo declares independence</b>

Kosovo Albanians declared independence on Sunday, drawing instant condemnation from Serbia and triggering angry scenes outside the US embassy in Belgrade.

Serbia's backer Russia called for an emergency session of the UN Security Council, but with no prospect of changing Western backing for the secession.

"We'll see what happens during the night," said one Serb man in Mitrovica. "There will be a lot of armed people here."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/sto ... 060&pnum=2
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Sun 17 Feb 2008, 20:01:37, edited 1 time in total.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Dominoes begin to fall - small Balkan sparks world confl

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 19:07:25

While I generally support Kosovo's independence, I'm concerned that this could lead to more global tension.

Expect oil prices to rise tomorrow if this action prompts other separatist groups to attempt to assert themselves.

The Basque in Spain, the Tamils in Sri Lanka, the Kurds in Iraq...

Why do I feel like this is 1914 all over again...
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eastbay » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 19:43:37

The final chance for lasting peace in the Balkans was lost when Clinton and Blair allowed The Albanians back into Kosovo from Albania and [s]allowed[/s] supervised the ethnic cleansing of nearly all Serbs from Kosovo.

Yes, Tyler, although I disagree with you that Kosovo independence is a good move, you're right on one point. This is a short-sighted move that could very well lead to more political and social instability elsewhere... much like WWII was ignited following a brief period of political and social instability.

This is a very dangerous move, no doubt. I sense war brewing everywhere.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby btu2012 » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 19:50:50

Kosovo independence is a very stupid move given the multi-ethnic nature of much of Central and Eastern Europe.

This is also likely to totally alienate Serbia from the EU, which will create serious problems for the Balkans later.

Btu

The breakaway Georgian regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia plan to ask Russia and the UN to recognise their independence following Kosovo's move, Russia's Interfax news agency quoted leaders in the two regions as saying.

Kosovo's constitution is expected to be based on a blueprint for "supervised independence" proposed by UN special envoy Martti Ahtisaari.

Russia blocked the Ahtisaari plan at the United Nations and Kosovo's independence was declared without UN Security Council approval. The council met again Sunday at Russia's demand, diplomats said.

The United States reaffirmed its strong backing for an independent Kosovo however.

"On Kosovo, our position is that its status must be resolved in order for the Balkans to be stable," US President George W. Bush said.

With an estimated unemployment rate of 40 percent and half its population under the age of 25, Kosovo will nevertheless remain highly dependent on massive infusions of Western economic aid.

An estimated 120,000 Serbs live in Kosovo, which is home to some of the most important shrines of the Serbian Orthodox faith. More than 220,000 others have left since 1999. Belgrade is imploring Serbs in Kosovo to stay put as an act of defiance.
only the paranoid survive
btu2012
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby gmin » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 19:57:54

Tyler_JC wrote:Why do I feel like this is 1914 all over again...

maybe that's the plan, every world recession ended with a world war.
and now recession's upon us again, war won't be too far away.
gmin
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sun 17 Feb 2008, 20:06:04

Have to find something for all those unemployed hands to do besides overthrowing the local government. Thus, send them to <b>someone else's</b> country with a gun in their hand.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Mon 18 Feb 2008, 07:00:48

eastbay wrote:The final chance for lasting peace in the Balkans was lost when Clinton and Blair allowed The Albanians back into Kosovo from Albania and [s]allowed[/s] supervised the ethnic cleansing of nearly all Serbs from Kosovo.

Somehow, I think that after Serbian adventures in Bosnia, it was important to ensure that Balkan nations are living in ethnically uniform states.

Nevertheless this will result in wider troubles around a globe, it will perhaps allow Russia to reassert her authority in parts of Eastern Europe and central Asian states.

It may also result in ultimate collapse of values related to multiculturalism.
This is a very dangerous move, no doubt. I sense war brewing everywhere.

You are correct.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Mon 18 Feb 2008, 07:03:45

btu2012 wrote:Kosovo independence is a very stupid move given the multi-ethnic nature of much of Central and Eastern Europe.

This is also likely to totally alienate Serbia from the EU, which will create serious problems for the Balkans later.

I was not expecting, that you will write such a things. 8O
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 18 Feb 2008, 14:51:49

Energy Unlimited... I was thinking the same thing. What he said actually made sense! First time for everything, I suppose... lol.
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Mon 18 Feb 2008, 15:59:48

Personally, I think the Euros need to get their act together and create a serious CFSP (Common Foreign and Security Policy).

This policy was one of the three pillars of Maastricht (the treaty which created the European Union in its current form back in 1992).

And yet this is the only policy area in which the Euros have been completely unable to accomplish anything. It's unbelievable to sit on the other side of the pond and watch infighting prevent Europe from being able to defend itself.

What happens when the US decides it can't afford those bases in Germany anymore?

How is Europe going to defend itself against an imploding Middle East on its doorstep or a resurgent Russia?

Buddying up to Poland is nice. I'm sure it's lovely to secure alliance with countries that are on the preferred invasion route from Moscow to Berlin...but it would be nice to have a common European army waiting on the western bank of the Oder River to prevent Russian tanks from making it to the Atlantic before America could stop them.

But for the love of God, the Balkans went up in flames in the 1990s and the Euros couldn't do anything about it. If they can't figure out foreign policy, the European Union is going to have a hell of a time letting Turkey become a member.

And I don't even want to think about Kosovo's membership application. :roll:

Sorry, I'm just annoyed that the EU didn't plan this one out.
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ferretlover » Mon 18 Feb 2008, 16:09:39

Didn't Hitler start his power play by telling the Germans they were the greatest people, and then, he started taking over countries, with no one stopping him?
Or, have I mixed up the facts?
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 18 Feb 2008, 17:19:40

Or, have I mixed up the facts?

Actually, you're mixing up threads. This one pertains to the Balkans. That's, like, happening right now. Today. And Tomorrow.

You need to address your question on the Long Ago Epic's section; 'Ancient and Post-Medieval European History' thread.
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Mon 18 Feb 2008, 17:36:28

Tyler_JC wrote:What happens when the US decides it can't afford those bases in Germany anymore?

How is Europe going to defend itself against an imploding Middle East on its doorstep or a resurgent Russia?

I think, there is no risk of Europe being invaded say by Russia even if US withheld military support.
1. France and Britain are nuclear weapons states.
2. Germany can become nuclear weapons state at 1 month notice.
3. Few smaller EU countries like Sweden also could do it pretty fast.
Obviously such developments would probably mean end of united EU, but I think that direct military disputes involving major EU countries and Russia are unlikely to the extreme and if they *do* occur then we are an the fast track to nuclear end.
Russia will regain much of influence in Eastern Europe and thats about it.
But for the love of God, the Balkans went up in flames in the 1990s and the Euros couldn't do anything about it. If they can't figure out foreign policy, the European Union is going to have a hell of a time letting Turkey become a member.

Balkan troubles are unresolvable nuisance.
All these Balkan nations should be sold to Turkey. :)
There is a clear power vacuum there.
Sorry, I'm just annoyed that the EU didn't plan this one out.

And if it did then US administration would do anything to prevent it working.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Mon 18 Feb 2008, 17:44:16

I know that a Russian invasion is unlikely but I also know that Russia is in the process of bullying the weaker Eastern European states (Belarus, Ukraine, etc.) into becoming satellite states of Russia.

Poland, the Czech Republic, Hungary, and the others are firmly in Western hands but there is concern about backsliding in the more distant countries.

The Balkans are a mess. Nobody knows who they are going to end up siding with.

Kosovo isn't ready for EU membership, that's for sure!
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ferretlover » Mon 18 Feb 2008, 17:48:56

[quote="eastbay"]Or, have I mixed up the facts?
Actually, you're mixing up threads. This one pertains to the Balkans. That's, like, happening right now. Today. And Tomorrow.
You need to address your question on the Long Ago Epic's section; 'Ancient and Post-Medieval European History' thread.[/quote]

Oh, EASTBAY!! lol
I think I was trying to compare Russia/Putin's actions with Germany/Hitler's actions.
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 18 Feb 2008, 17:51:50

Glad you like it! :lol:
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Mon 18 Feb 2008, 17:52:44

Tyler_JC wrote:Kosovo isn't ready for EU membership, that's for sure!

In longer run Kosowo will perhaps join bordering Albania.
It seems natural.

Kosovo is not viable as an independent state without constant external aid.
There is nothing there, enemies around and no sea access.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 18 Feb 2008, 17:57:29

Kosovo is not viable as an independent state without constant external aid.

And drug trafficking revenue. And revenue from all other forms of criminal activity. Why Europeans would fight to create an ugly place like that in Europe is beyond me.
Got Dharma?

eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 18 Feb 2008, 22:14:24

The can of worms has been opened.

<b>Yes to an independent state of Kosovo, but an absolute no to a free Kurdistan</b>

While the Turkish artillery and air force bloody and massive bombardment of Southern Kurdistan still continue, Kosovo has become an independent state. What can we say then just congratulate the joint political work of EU and USA for their special treatment of Kosovars! So well done bloody imperialists! That’s really the product of Western double standards concerning its multifaceted or various natures; treating some Europeans as human beings and some Middle Eastern people like Kurds and Palestinians as worthless animals. Sorry my fellow Kurds and dear Palestinians, this is the fact, accept it or not!

Why, at most, two million Kosovo-Albanians have 120% right and thus are getting all help and assistance to establish a little country whereas 40.000.000 Kurds, and despite all their innumerous sacrifices and struggles, must be forced to live under e.g. the Turkish oppression or Anti-Kurdish and thus unbearable circumstances? Turkey until very recently had denied the very existence of ca 20.000.000 Kurds living inside its political and geographical borders, and were there at least 100.000.000-year before the ancestors of today’s Turks who falsely are taught to call themselves seculars or democrats. What a big lies and shame! And many more other questions to be asked by both my fellow Kurds and all defenders of human rights, especially by European intellectuals, if they are still alive.

http://www.kurdmedia.com/article.aspx?id=14553

<b>If Kosovo Can Be Free, Why Not Palestine?</b>

The American and EU impatience to sever a portion of a UN member state (universally recognized, even by them, to constitute a portion of that state's sovereign territory), ostensibly because 90 percent of those living in that portion of the state's territory support separation, contrasts starkly with the unlimited patience of the US and the EU when it comes to ending the 40-year-long belligerent occupation of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip (no portion of which any country recognizes as Israel's sovereign territory and as to which Israel has only even asserted sovereignty over a tiny portion, occupied East Jerusalem). Virtually every legal resident of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip seeks freedom - and has for over 40 years. For doing so, they are punished, sanctioned, besieged, humiliated and, day after endless day, killed by those who claim to stand on the moral high ground.

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7§ion=0&article=106933&d=19&m=2&y=2008

Taiwan quickly congratulated Kosovo on Monday in terms that echoed the desire of some Taiwanese for a complete political break with mainland China.

"Despite a multitude of barriers, the people of Kosovo have insisted on an ideal that they believe in, which is to peacefully pursue independence, without being threatened or scared away," the Taiwan Foreign Ministry said.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/02/18/ ... eijing.php

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dissident » Tue 19 Feb 2008, 11:28:23

The hypocrisy of the west (mainly the US and western Europe) knows no bound. Scumbags like Nicholas Burns lie that NATO saved Kosovo Albanians from genocide (even though they used the refugee flight after the onset of the NATO attack in 1999 as a justification for the intervention, recall the claims by the state department that there were 600,000 dead or missing Albanians) so Kosovo is a special case. Yet Turkey has wiped hundreds of Kurd villages off the face of the map and displaced millions of Kurds from their native lands. Hundreds of thousands of Kurds have been killed during Turkish military campaigns to crush the independence movement. In Kosovo 9,702 people are dead and missing from 1998 to 2000, which includes 4,903 dead or missing Albanians and 2,322 Serbs. And most of these casualites are from March of 1999 and later after NATO attacked. The only thing special here is that western diplomats, leaders and journalists are liars and hypocrites without measure.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics