Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Unconventional Oil

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Unconventional Oil

Unread postby smiley » Mon 26 Jul 2004, 16:01:35

I think this presentation gives a nice overview of the challenges associated with non-conventional oil.

http://www.iea.org/Textbase/work/2004/opec/knapp.pdf

Update on Competitiveness of Update on Competitiveness of Non-Conventional oil
David Knapp
Energy Intelligence Group

Second Joint IEA/OPEC Workshop on Oil Investment Prospects

Paris, April 28, 2004 Paris, April 28, 2004
smiley
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Can unconventional oil make up for conventional declines?

Unread postby TonyPrep » Sun 29 Jan 2006, 17:24:34

Jeroen van der Veer, CEO of Royal Dutch Shell has said that, in his opinion, we are past peak on conventional oil. The story is here. He says, "My view is that “easy” oil has probably passed its peak. But there are other reserves that are still a long way from their peak. In unconventional oil and gas – resources that are harder to tap – there are plenty of reserves."

But how likely is it that unconventional oil can both make up for declines and increase the total oil production to match anticipated demand growth?

Tony
TonyPrep
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Can unconventional oil make up for conventional declines

Unread postby MonteQuest » Sun 29 Jan 2006, 17:29:21

Absolutely zero. And even if they could, they couldn't do it as cheaply as conventional oil.

Peak oil is about the end of cheap, readily available energy, not energy sources.

Prime example, the oil sands.

1mbpd production that is projected to triple in 10 years.

So? 3mbpd in a world that will consume perhaps 120 mbpd in 10 years.

Won't keep up with demand or decline.

Insignificant.
Last edited by MonteQuest on Sun 29 Jan 2006, 19:12:17, edited 1 time in total.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby TonyPrep » Sun 29 Jan 2006, 17:42:21

MonteQuest wrote:Absolutely zero. And even if they could, they couldn't do it as cheaply as conventional oil.

Peak oil is about the end of cheap, readily available energy, not energy sources.

Prime example, the oil sands.

1mbpd production that is projected to triple in 10 years.

So? 3mbpd in a world that will consume perhaps 120 mbpd in 10 years.

Won't keep up with demand or decline.

Insignificant.
So the CEO of Royal Dutch Shell is effectively admitting that (in his opinion) we have passed peak. It should be an interesting year.

Tony
TonyPrep
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby MonteQuest » Sun 29 Jan 2006, 19:29:30

TonyPrep wrote: So the CEO of Royal Dutch Shell is effectively admitting that (in his opinion) we have passed peak. It should be an interesting year.

We have a daunting task ahead. Technology advances could increase the amount of oil we can recover from existing reserves, but that reality remains to be seen. Simple physics and the law of dimishing returns rules here...also time.

Scaling up unconventional sources is not as easy as most think. The infrastructure, lead time, EROEI, transport, delivery, and financial hurdles are immense.

And all of this must be done while sequestering the new CO2 and reducing CO2 emissions from exisiting sources by 60-70% to avoid runaway global warming, and still growing the economy to service the debt, provide new jobs, housing and food for an expected 3 billion increase in the population by 2050.

Not to mention while fighting resource wars over the remaining dregs.

No problemo.

Next stop, Iran.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Jack » Sun 29 Jan 2006, 23:34:00

MonteQuest wrote:And all of this must be done while sequestering the new CO2 and reducing CO2 emissions from exisiting sources by 60-70% to avoid runaway global warming, and still growing the economy to service the debt, provide new jobs, housing and food for an expected 3 billion increase in the population by 2050.

So, does this mean that a couple mile-high chimneys for generating electricity won't solve the problem? The optimists are going to be quite shocked. 8)

Seriously, the U.S. economy is creaking presently. The recent Barron's investment rountable reflected some distinctly bearish sentiment. Combine existing issues with Peak Oil, and I can't see where the excess investment capital can possibly come from. The landing looks ever harder.
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Raxozanne » Mon 30 Jan 2006, 04:08:27

MonteQuest wrote:... and reducing CO2 emissions from exisiting sources by 60-70% to avoid runaway global warming,...

Indicators suggest that we will be increasing our global CO2 output by 50% instead of reducing it at all.
Hello, my name is Rax. I live in the Amazon jungle with a bunch of women. We are super eco feminists and our favourite passtimes are dangling men by their ankles and discussing peak oil. - apparently
Raxozanne
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Doly » Mon 30 Jan 2006, 08:22:12

MonteQuest wrote:And all of this must be done while sequestering the new CO2 and reducing CO2 emissions from exisiting sources by 60-70% to avoid runaway global warming, and still growing the economy to service the debt, provide new jobs, housing and food for an expected 3 billion increase in the population by 2050.

No need to grow the economy. The economic crash is about to come, and these guys know it. And population is likely to stabilize soon.

CO2 is the tricky thing here.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Rates of Non-conventional oil production, limited as well?

Unread postby Mihoda » Sun 09 Apr 2006, 23:43:24

I've been doing a lot of diggin on peak oil recently and there's one subject I haven't found much on: are rates of non-conventional oil production limited?

Natural pressure falloff occurs in conventional wells leading to a decline in oil production. When taken as a sum over all the wells overall production is Gaussian (the Hubbert curve in an idealized, non-constrained system).

However, extracting oil from the Athabasca tar sands rather resembles mining. There is no need to worry about dipping pressure in the well, because, among other things, there is no well.

Has anyone done any studies as to what, if anything would limit the production rate of the Athabasca tar sands? Or of Venezuela's Orinoco oil belt?
(environmental reasons aside)
Mihoda
Wood
Wood

Re: non-conventional oil

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 02 Sep 2017, 12:39:56

An interesting refresher on what we know compared to what we thought we knew.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 02 Sep 2017, 15:52:01

P - And what do we know now?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 02 Sep 2017, 18:34:27

ROCKMAN wrote:P - And what do we know now?

Hard to say. The link doesn't work, and no one has been able to explain the difference in at the very how many more or less carbon and hydrogen atoms are in this special non-conventional oil versus the normal stuff.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby GHung » Sat 02 Sep 2017, 18:40:34

AdamB wrote:

Hard to say. The link doesn't work, and no one has been able to explain the difference in at the very how many more or less carbon and hydrogen atoms are in this special non-conventional oil versus the normal stuff.

Is that gross carbon and hydrocarbons or net?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 02 Sep 2017, 18:49:04

We know that EROEI has been steadily falling especially with the focus on non conventional. We know that the Shale/fracking has been relying on high lending to produce. Other than that, I am will not comment as I know we have experts who are more qualified to opine.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 02 Sep 2017, 21:33:14

pstarr wrote:
Tanada wrote:An interesting refresher on what we know compared to what we thought we knew.

Not surprisingly, it appears we now know less (from the link)
Uh oh, something's not right

That page doesn't appear to exist

Try this link, IEA changed everything a couple years ago so I had to dig out the direct link.

www.worldenergyoutlook.org/media/weoweb ... EO2004.pdf
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 02 Sep 2017, 21:53:15

Looker - "We know that EROEI has been steadily falling especially with the focus on non conventional." No, we don't actually. The EROEI of what gets drilled is very dependent upon the price of oil as well as other factors. As explained before when oil prices shot upwards about 10 years ago it took less bbls of oil (which generated higher revenue due to high prices) to generate an acceptable rate of return. Thus EROEI decreased significantly...however it was calculated. But when oil prices fell a couple not years ago a well had to produce more bbls to generate the same revenue to produce that same acceptable ROR. Which is why the rig count fell: there were much fewer of the remaining prospects that would produce that sufficient number of bbls. Even the current rig count indicates a lack of larger recovers to justify drilling as many prospects as we did during the boom.

Simply put the EROEI (however it!s calculated) of wells drilled today had to increase significantly compared to those drilled a few years ago. And if oil prices decrease further EROEI will continue to increase. Conversely if oil prices increase to former levels the EROEI will decrease as it did 10 years ago.

Now let's look at a completely unrealistic model: oil prices stay at the current level for the next 50 years. Also assume the amount of energy used to drill remains the same. IOW no great new technology to increase drilling efficiency. So the cost (in both Btu's and $'s) remain the same and companies hold to the same required ROR the EROEI will hold constant. But given the decreasing number of sufficiently large prospects remaining fewer and fewer wells will be drilled. In theory there might be only one prospect that's economical to drill in 2067. And its EROEI will be the same as those drilled today.

Back to the same point repeatedly made: the industry has never, does not today and will never make drilling decisions based on any calculation using EROEI. Those decisions are based on economic analysis.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 02 Sep 2017, 22:12:10

And once more: the is no thing as "unconventional oil". There is oil produced from reservoirs using unconventional completion methods. Or if you like we can call those unconventional reservoirs. But as far as the molecular structure of the oil I'm producing condensate from a convention reservoir using a conventional completion method identical from a frac'd horizontal Eagle Ford Shale well. My "convention oil", if you insist, is being produced from a deep NG/condensate well in S Louisiana from a high permeability reservoir that did not require frac'ng. There have been BILLIONS OF BBLS of similar oil produced in this trend.

Oil is oil regardless of its API gravety, if it's from a frac'd well or not, from a vertical or horizontal well. I can give you a sample of 44 API oil and no lab analysis will tell if it came from the EFS or my Louisiana well.

This confusion has been going on too long.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 03 Sep 2017, 10:41:05

GHung wrote:
AdamB wrote:

Is that gross carbon and hydrocarbons or net?

I think it was only hydrocarbons discovered in igneous rock. Very non-conventional.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 03 Sep 2017, 10:47:21

onlooker wrote:We know that EROEI has been steadily falling especially with the focus on non conventional.

We know that EROEI has been CLAIMED to be falling for half a century, and yet fuel prices today are about the same as half a century ago. So anyone who isn't Shorty can demonstrate that the correlation coefficient of this relationship appears meaningless.

onlooker wrote: We know that the Shale/fracking has been relying on high lending to produce.

We know that the oil industry has needed to borrow money to drill and complete wells since 1859 when Drake did it, and more borrowing is done in boom times as companies try and grow, and that none of this is dependent on what the particular completion technique is.

onlooker wrote: Other than that, I am will not comment as I know we have experts who are more qualified to opine.

We know that the experts who discuss EROEI know nothing about the oil and gas business, because those that do understand why it is irrelevant. And we know that the oil and gas companies have been borrowing money and horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing since before many on this forum weree born, and the most recent boom was no different than all the others that modern peakers ignore in their rush to claim the next hoped for peak.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Next

Return to Energy Technology