Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

DEADLINE: No New C Infrastructure by 2018

DEADLINE: No New C Infrastructure by 2018

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:28:07

http://theleap.thischangeseverything.or ... e-by-2018/

A Hard Deadline: We Must Stop Building New Carbon Infrastructure by 2018

In only three years there will be enough fossil fuel-burning stuff—cars, homes, factories, power plants, etc.—built to blow through our carbon budget for a 2 degrees Celsius temperature rise. Never mind staying below a safer, saner 1.5°C of global warming. The relentless laws of physics have given us a hard, non-negotiable deadline, making G7 statements about a fossil fuel-phase out by 2100 or a weak deal at the UN climate talks in Paris irrelevant.

By 2018, no new cars, homes, schools, factories, or electrical power plants should be built anywhere in the world, ever again unless they’re either replacements for old ones or are carbon neutral?

Are you sure I worked that out right?” I asked Steve Davis of the University of California, co-author of a new climate study.

“We didn’t go that far in our study. But yes, your numbers are broadly correct. That’s what this study means,” Davis told me...

...if we continue to build new fossil fuel burning stuff at the average rate of the last five years, we’ll make enough new carbon commitments to blow through our 2°C carbon budget sometime in 2018.

“Is that really where we are?” I asked Davis.

There was a pause, and I could hear the happy sounds of children playing from his end of the phone. Eventually Davis said “yes, that’s where we find ourselves.”...

...I sent out emails to leading scientists in different countries practically begging them to tell me I screwed up the math or something. “It’s a different way of looking at where we are but you’ve got it right,” they said.

2018 is less than three years away and hardly anyone is talking about this.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: DEADLINE: No New C Infrastructure by 2018

Unread postby GHung » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 13:13:40

Too late for Thelma and Louise to hit the brakes even if they wanted to,, but we already knew that. Of course, the 'No New C Infrastructure' option is a non-option since billions will watch their economies implode, starve, die of thirst and disease.... There's no QE for overshoot.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 13:17:29

I think what is actually needed is more drastic then that. We should by latest stop emitting CO2 into air by 2018. Short of a miracle I do not see that happening.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 13:33:18

You are, of course, right, onlooker (as is GHung).

The article is likely a conservative estimate, and that for having just a chance of staying under 2 degrees C above pre-industrial levels. But feedbacks are already kicking in, and we're barely at one degree.

And of course GW is only one of many sh!t storms we've started, though likely to be the biggest.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Apneaman » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 13:44:47

No matter how bad it gets they just keep moving those goal posts. It will be like that right up to the point we go over the edge.

Cross This Line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkzWyOaS8kU
Apneaman
Permanently Banned

Unread postby MD » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 14:25:05

Does anyone here really expect the insanity to stop?

We are lemmings. Programmed. Plan for it.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 14:50:28

There's nothing but insanity from here on out.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 14:53:32

dohboi wrote:There's nothing but insanity from here on out.

Yes, truly it seems the threats have become palpable. Just makes me think a little of the movie "The Day after Tomorrow" where climate change truly became life and death for those in the movie.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 14:56:29

They will be terminated just like the rest of us, I would think.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby americandream » Tue 07 Jul 2015, 03:36:27

This fiasco in Greece is a good indicator of just how removed from politicians radar this issue is. They are pressing for austerity in order to preserve the status quo....so 3 years aint gonna happen. not in 3, 5, 10....not till it is too late.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 07 Jul 2015, 04:44:52

So true AD hence my other thread about Masses rising up. I just feel and you concur that only a world-wide change in consciousness can maybe be the only thing that can at this point avert the worst consequences here on Earth. Maybe you and me AD should open up some kind of school so we can teach all this to others. haha.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby americandream » Tue 07 Jul 2015, 04:48:45

onlooker wrote:So true AD hence my other thread about Masses rising up. I just feel and you concur that only a world-wide change in consciousness can maybe be the only thing that can at this point avert the worst consequences here on Earth. Maybe you and me AD should open up some kind of school so we can teach all this to others. haha.

Hahaha. I would be glad for support on this project. Anything coordinated would be preferable to blood and gore alternatives which really, we dont have to endure.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 16 Jul 2015, 21:00:01

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/9/8922901/coa ... ce-numbers
Posting this again about plans for many new coal-fired power plants. This truly is beyond insane. I guess we are not content with runaway global warming we want a runaway Venusian transformation on the planet. Exasperating.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 00:27:17

Yup, over 2000 coal plants planned world wide.

What a wonderful world!

The somewhat heartening thing is that people all over are rising up and saying no to these, even in India.

The sad thing is that it will be nearly impossible to stop all of them, and it only takes about a third of those 2000 to commit us to over 2 degrees, even with all the most optimistic, myopic assumptions about (lack of) feedbacks...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby americandream » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 01:15:28

Just me subscribing to this thread. Gonna have to read up on this.

edit: whoops. just noticed I have posted on here. Funny its not on my subscription list. BTW how do I quickly tidy up that list. Its as old as Lot.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 03:37:39

dohboi wrote:Yup, over 2000 coal plants planned world wide.

What a wonderful world!

The somewhat heartening thing is that people all over are rising up and saying no to these, even in India.

The sad thing is that it will be nearly impossible to stop all of them, and it only takes about a third of those 2000 to commit us to over 2 degrees, even with all the most optimistic, myopic assumptions about (lack of) feedbacks...

At this point I am sure you will agree Dohboi, feedbacks are kicking in whether others wish to acknowledge them or not. Yep D, a wonderful world. But who knows maybe just maybe if most on the planet wake up we could stop all further constructing. It does not hurt to hope.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby americandream » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 04:01:12

onlooker wrote:
dohboi wrote:Yup, over 2000 coal plants planned world wide.

What a wonderful world!

At this point I am sure you will agree Dohboi, feedbacks are kicking in whether others wish to acknowledge them or not. Yep D, a wonderful world. But who knows maybe just maybe if most on the planet wake up we could stop all further constructing. It does not hurt to hope.

The one unresolved issue I face is the distance the material dialectic train is from the buffers. I really cannot think of that when I look in my girls innocent young face and thus I hold steadfastly to my dispassionate approach. We will never resolve the timing question unless of course we can get this data on market style charts. Even then what good is it to my child. So resolve must remain firm that we can race the train to the buffers. I am exasperated when we get halfwits professing to be scientists wittering on in denialist tone but theres no wishing the buggers away.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 04:23:49

Yes Ad we can never lose hope especially for the sake of the younger people on the planet.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 08:12:26

I can only repeat that threats wont break the collectives cognitive dissonance and statistics without the bite of life altering consequences wont either.

I am also increasingly concerned with the delayed feedback of climate change and the fact that by the time dire consequences appear that can act as catalysts toward cultural change, we will already have gone so far into debilitating the biosphere that we will experience the cruel reality when we do finally arrive at collective consensus to real mitigation with hard sacrifices this will be too little too late.

I think we have the makings of a real global protest over climate change in the style of the 60's in the years ahead. The debate like our planet is becoming increasingly heated and unstable. The solutions are so crippling to BAU consensus reality that this fight is going to get more nasty before it leads to any effective change.

It is not a debate in the classic sense. It is truth needing to break denial. Denial that is not only ideological but also entails a physical sacrifice on the part of all nations and citizens of the world.

This sacrifice requires more than just educating the masses with cold and reasoned logic. It requires pulling on the heart strings. It requires the cultivation of love toward our mother earth.

Sometimes an infant while breastfeeding will bite the nipple and will be scolded by the mother. That is one of the earliest forms of consequences learned.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate