Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak Stuff

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Peak Stuff

Unread postby vox_mundi » Wed 20 Jan 2016, 16:25:42

Steve Howard, Ikea Exec, Says The World Has Hit 'Peak Stuff'

The world has hit peak home furnishings, according to an Ikea executive.

But the world’s largest furniture retailer remains adamant it’s part of the solution, rather than the problem.

Steve Howard, head of sustainability with the Swedish company, told audience members at a Guardian Live event in London last week that mass consumption has been the culprit behind other “peak” crises in past decades.

“If we look at a global basis, in the West we probably hit peak oil. I’d say we’ve hit peak red meat, peak sugar, peak stuff … peak home furnishings,” Howard said, joking, “It doesn’t sound quite so threatening.”
“We will be increasingly building a circular Ikea where you can repair and recycle products,”

According to The Guardian, the company introduced a series of environmental policies last year to help its mandate to lower water consumption, promote energy efficiency, and sustainable product development.

“We’ve hit peak curtains:” Even IKEA thinks everyone’s bought enough useless stuff

... With oil now cheaper than an actual barrel, is home furniture the next tipping point?

Howard doesn’t seem to be too startled by what he refers to as “peak curtains.” He suggests that on a global basis “most people are still poor and most people actually haven’t got to sufficiency yet. There is a global growth opportunity… but it’s a distribution issue.”
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Peak Stuff

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 21 Jan 2016, 02:20:43

I imagine their repair and recycling platform will be based on the razor blade industry.
Create a good cheap handle that only fits your blades and then keep selling expensive razor blades that constantly go blunt.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby claman » Thu 21 Jan 2016, 11:12:36

The world has not reach peak home furnishing. The world has reached peak tolerance with furnitures that are ready for the scrab yard after only 10-20 years of use.
I my self and friends are more and more byuing used quality furnitures that seem to last at least 10 times longer than IKEA-stuff. And amazingly they cost only a fraction of new comparable furnitures.
Nature should be allowed to kill us all if we don’t fit into our local eco-system.
claman
Peat
Peat

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 22 Jan 2016, 20:36:40

Definitely this is the century of peak everything, and downward descent and attrition of everything. I recommend this book by the sage author Richard Heinberg. "Peak Everything: Waking Up to the Century of Declines
(2007)
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 24 Jan 2016, 14:15:54

My wife and I are downsizing from a large house, to a smaller townhouse. In the process a lot of stuff has to go, including old furniture.

My dad in the 70's built some furniture for my grandparents as a x-mas present. After they died in the 80's it was passed around, eventually making it's way to me. This furniture was sitting covered in dust in my basement, and having no use for it, as hard as it was to part with, we gave the furniture to the Salvation army thrift store; some young couple somewhere will get the stuff.

I'm also giving away two other large bookshelves and a couch as part of downsizing to something smaller and more affordable. I could see this as being a developing trend. As people can't afford larger homes, they will downsize, both donating old furniture and needing less stuff for smaller homes.

When I think of the tiny houses people used to live in when I was a kid, compared to the giant McMansions that suburbanites everywhere seem to like, this change is apparent. If this trend was to reverse, and due to declining energy and less money, suddenly it becomes the trend back to smaller housing, less stuff would be needed to fill them.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ennui2 » Sun 24 Jan 2016, 16:38:58

IMHO, those McMansions will probably not get razed but will turn into multi-flamily housing. I know people would like to see the suburbs turned back into relocalized pasture. I just don't see it happening, though.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 24 Jan 2016, 16:44:02

ennui2 wrote:IMHO, those McMansions will probably not get razed but will turn into multi-flamily housing. I know people would like to see the suburbs turned back into relocalized pasture. I just don't see it happening, though.

Yes I think we are much more on the track of laboratory/factory produced artificial food. Land is needed for people to live especially those fleeing the coastline. Soylent green anyone? :shock:
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ennui2 » Sun 24 Jan 2016, 17:08:29

onlooker wrote:
ennui2 wrote:IMHO, those McMansions will probably not get razed but will turn into multi-flamily housing. I know people would like to see the suburbs turned back into relocalized pasture. I just don't see it happening, though.

Yes I think we are much more on the track of laboratory/factory produced artificial food. Land is needed for people to live especially those fleeing the coastline. Soylent green anyone? :shock:

I don't disagree with the broad strokes of this analysis. The disagreements here really boil down to how fast and hard the crash will be, not whether there will be one or not. That's why I wish certain people would lighten up.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 24 Jan 2016, 17:11:49

Yeah and I also apologize Ennui, I do feel I can get carried away with doomer headlines.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ennui2 » Sun 24 Jan 2016, 17:58:34

pstarr wrote:Besides, ennui is a troll.

No. You've just chosen to make me the lightning-rod of your rebuttals, but when you strip it down, my analysis shares some similarities with Planty of all people (aka there IS a supply-side glut) or Pops (no, doom probably won't happen tomorrow) or some of the other posters who are following EV developments with some interest. It's not corny and not outside the full range of doomer viewpoints. You just can't avoid viewing my position through a straw-man lens. That is what pisses me off, your inability to listen to the substance of my argument and go straight for the mockery and ad homs, when really, a lot of this amounts to splitting hairs about the when/why/how of doom, not whether there will or won't be doom. I'm really on your side, for the most part, but since I'm on your shit-list, you have to slag me over minutiae.
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sun 24 Jan 2016, 18:16:00

onlooker wrote:Yes I think we are much more on the track of laboratory/factory produced artificial food. Land is needed for people to live especially those fleeing the coastline. Soylent green anyone? :shock:

In the past lobster was plentiful, in the US they fed it to prisoners, in Australia they fattened the pigs with it.
It thrive on dead meat.
Tsunamis and floods would be a kick start to the revival.
Its not all doom and gloom

When my brother in law visits his mates in WA he hates it when they have money because its lots of steak,when they're poor they eat lots of lobster.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Economics & Finance