Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

us govt pension benefits to be cut HUGE!!!!

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: us govt pension benefits to be cut HUGE!!!!

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 17:28:38

wildbourgman wrote:Kaiser, I'm not so sure that some can't point out where the federal government had a hand in some of this.

Yup. The federal government is actually working with the pension fund to make the pension cuts.

Obama signed into law the Multiemployer Pension Reform Act (MPRA) in late 2014. This new law allows pension funds to break the commitments the pension funds made to workers. Thanks to this new federal law, the Obama administration is working with the Central States Pension fund on their plan to cut pensions by 40-60% --- and other pension funds are doing the same thing right now as well.

US Treasury web page on MPRA pension reductions

IN late 2014 Obama signed into law a program to cut worker's pensions----on the other hand he made it much easier for retirees to get food stamps after their pensions are reduced!

cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby wildbourgman » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 17:41:19

No I'm talking more in the lines of getting companies to start pensions in the first place. Didn't Roosevelt freeze wages or something and that made large companies adopt other benefits in order to attract talent?

Were there federal tax breaks for companies to have pension plans, if so that induced companies to start this Ponzi scheme?

Does the Federal Reserve bank cutting interest rates hurt previous safe investments that the pensions used to invest in and force them into more risky sources that crashed? Yes they are federal!

You can hardly not find ways to connect the federal governments actions to consequences that they didn't see coming in many situations.
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 20:25:46

Traditional pension plans were largely replaced by 401K's and IRA's over the last three decades. The main difference is that the old pension plans were administered by professional fund managers, and the new plans are largely self-administered. Which would be fine if you were a financial weenie who spent 100% of your work time maximizing returns on investments, and not so fine if you actually have to work and financial fund management is not something you enjoy.

There were five different investment options in the 401K plan I was in in 2007. I sensed something was amiss with the economy and I guessed a bit early, and 14 months before the meltdown I put all my money in the lowest-yielding fund, but the only one that was insured and thus guaranteed a positive rate of return. I earned 2.2% on my money the year before the meltdown, while my fellow employees called me a fool, and saw returns that exceeded 20%. Then Lehman Bros went broke, the markets had conniptions, and most of my fellow employees lost 50+% of their retirement funds. So many of them jumped into the guaranteed return fund that I was already in, that the company could no longer purchase insurance for that amount of money, and took away that option. During the following two years we lost 18% and 15%, and then returns again went positive, but in low single digit amounts for the next six years.

Somehow the company forgot to add a "Gold Coins to Hide Under the Mattress" investment option, and had we had that option, many of us would have taken it. I stayed with the 401K plan because the company matched me dollar for dollar up to 10% of my salary, giving me a 100% return on money saved before the investment growth. That of course ended with my retirement.

My considered opinion of the 401K and IRA options is this: It is a scheme to return much of the money being saved by the Baby Boomers to the financial markets. I don't care how much time you spend administering your own retirement plan, you are not as good as those financial professionals who live in that world. So they created a scheme to allow us to control our own retirement funds and then, by and large, they are effectively stealing our money. For everyone who wins big in the markets, there are several losers.

For the last decade, my retirement account has grown only by what I contributed and the company matched. It is not appreciating, or at least - not appreciating enough to be growing in real purchasing power because of inflation. But I'm not sure I could do any better with an IRA. My wife could, because she is a CPA - but she has her own 401K and neglects that, her specialty is business taxes. Understand: Real inflation is around 6-8% per year, so if your own retirement is not growing by more than that, your nest egg is actually shrinking, losing purchasing power. With interest rates so low, money left in the bank is losing at least 5% purchasing power per year.

There are darn few places where you have the option of a classic pension plan administered for you - and an uncomfortable number of those have been plundered by the fund managers, who now are living large in some place without an extradition treaty with the USA. The classic pension plans like the GM Hourly Workers Pension Plan and the Central States Pension Fund are going broke even with professional management - so put your money into real estate if you can - including a nice comfortable and self-sustaining doomstead.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 21:48:16

KaiserJeep wrote:Traditional pension plans were largely replaced by 401K's and IRA's over the last three decades.

Not for unions. There are 400,000 people in the Central States Pension program who are seeing their pensions cut by 50% and many of these people are in the Teamsters Union and other unions. In fact, Jimmy Hoffa Jr. is leading the union fight against Obama's MPRA law that is resulting in these huge cuts to their pensions

jimmy-hoffa-congress-must-act-avert-pension-crisis

Jimmy Hoffa Jr. leads protests against the new MPRA law that is making HUGE cuts in existing pensions
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 20 Feb 2016, 05:08:03

Plantagenet wrote:
KaiserJeep wrote:Traditional pension plans were largely replaced by 401K's and IRA's over the last three decades.

Not for unions. There are 400,000 people in the Central States Pension program who are seeing their pensions cut by 50% and many of these people are in the Teamsters Union and other unions. In fact, Jimmy Hoffa Jr. is leading the union fight against Obama's MPRA law that is resulting in these huge cuts to their pensions

jimmy-hoffa-congress-must-act-avert-pension-crisis

Jimmy Hoffa Jr. leads protests against the new MPRA law that is making HUGE cuts in existing pensions

Yes, Plant, and I talked about that in far more detail than you did in Post #20 in this thread on Page #1.

It's not the pensions that are going away in the case of Unions, it is the membership, and they did this to themselves when they were so successful at negotiating wages and benefits that they broke the American auto industry.

In the new and leaner/meaner world, we don't need a lot of union workers making cars, and a lot of teamsters moving raw materials, components for cars, or finished cars. The unions are dying with the boomers. It is doubtful going forward whether we will have any blue collar vehicle assembly, robots have already eliminated most such jobs.

Now there is one slender chance left for the remnants in the US auto industry. Can they successfully transition demand for vehicles from liquid fuels to electricity, and begin manufacturing BEVs?

If not, the US auto industry will die - again - and probably for the last time, when we run out of cheap oil. I for one would rather buy an American BEV, but the best selling design today is the Nissan Leaf.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby wildbourgman » Sat 20 Feb 2016, 09:31:28

It's not the pensions that are going away in the case of Unions, it is the membership, and they did this to themselves when they were so successful at negotiating wages and benefits that they broke the American auto industry.

Yes Kaiser and this is truly sad too. I've heard some in management talk about benefits from utilizing a union shop when its run well almost like a talent agency. For instance one business owner said that when he needs welders or boilermakers he knows he can get trained and serious workers that get the job done. He said that the downside of rules that comes with utilizing the union are far outweigh by the dependability and ease of operations that he gets. That is how things should work, when you negotiate you don't attempt to be a parasite that eventually kills the host, you look for the win/win where everyone at the least have sustainability and hopefully excels due to the settlement.
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 20 Feb 2016, 10:56:38

wildbourgman wrote:

Yes Kaiser and this is truly sad too. I've heard some in management talk about benefits from utilizing a union shop when its run well almost like a talent agency. For instance one business owner said that when he needs welders or boilermakers he knows he can get trained and serious workers that get the job done. He said that the downside of rules that comes with utilizing the union are far outweigh by the dependability and ease of operations that he gets. That is how things should work, when you negotiate you don't attempt to be a parasite that eventually kills the host, you look for the win/win where everyone at the least have sustainability and hopefully excels due to the settlement.

I trace the UAW big mistake to the 1970's when they switched from maintaining the largest workforce possible to having a smaller better paid workforce. They agreed to switch from three shift rotation with little overtime for any of the workers to a two shift system where the shifts varied from 8 to 11.5 hours a day 5 to 7 days a week depending upon sales demand. This lead almost overnight to a 33 percent reduction in the number of people working for the auto factories in Michigan where my father and several of my other relatives worked.

The instant result was while the remaining workers had more spending money the laid off workers had very little. Even worse because the workers with money had so little free time they had less need for recreational purchases, there wasn't much point in buying lots of stuff when you didn't have the energy to actually use it. All around the blow to the economy of the state of Michigan and many other places across the country was profound, and about half of the laid off workers ended up moving south and west from Michigan, the great 'population drain' of 1975-1985, and numerous businesses that supported that population lost their reason for existing. The ripple effect across the state is hard to overstate.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 20 Feb 2016, 12:01:25

It's not just Michigan, either. I have lived in both Illinois (for several years) and Wisconsin (briefly), and both are hurting. The light industry in the entire MidWest was geared towards producing raw materials for cars, components for cars, car accessories, and even aftermarket parts for modifying cars - in Elgin, Ill. where I bought my first home they produced not only engine oil seals, but a popular line of aftermarket instruments from the Stewart-Warner company. The heaviest MidWestern industry was steel, and it supplied everything from sheet metal to iron ingots used for casting engines. The rusting steel mills can be seen along the shores of the Great Lakes, and even the fleet of giant freighters that carried iron ore (the most famous being the SS Edmund Fitzgerald) are history.

American inventors created the automobile industry, and the greed of American unions, along with the inevitable automation, destroyed that industry. The restructured General Motors Company just declared a record year for revenues in 2015 - as long as you are not counting the US tax breaks that have another 14 years to run, or the fact that they are now producing cars in 37 countries and selling them in 55 countries. Not to mention that the American brands Saturn, Pontiac, and Hummer perished in the 2009 reorganization, reducing the GM brands to thirteen: Alpheon, Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Holden, HSV, Opel, Vauxhall, Wuling, Baojun, Jie Fang, UzDaewoo.

Well, they showed the unions what happens when they get too successful. Flint and Detroit look like third world countries that have had a civil war fought there. But we didn't really export those jobs, they were automated out of existence, the new GM has fewer employees in 37 countries than the old GM had in the USA.

And (just in case you are wondering) this can't be fixed by an American politician named Donald Trump or Bernie Sanders.

The "slow crash" following the oil peak is proceeding, welcome to the post peak world.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 20 Feb 2016, 13:43:15

KaiserJeep wrote:
And (just in case you are wondering) this can't be fixed by an American politician named Donald Trump or Bernie Sanders.

The "slow crash" following the oil peak is proceeding, welcome to the post peak world.

The MPRA law isn't written in stone for all eternity---it can be repealed.

Yes the problems are bigger then the MPRA, but a good place to start to fix all these problems would be to repeal Obama's MPRA law that has created a process to allow pension funds to cut their pension benefits. Think about that----why in hell is the government helping pension funds cut benefits? Once again Obama is on the side of the banksters in screwing over the people----this election is the time to fight back.

Obama signs law to cut pension benefits

Bernie Sanders has introduced a bill in the Senate to the repeal the MPRA. Once this law is repealed, pension funds could be sued by the recipients for financial fraud, breach of contract, etc. and the process of cutting pensions could be slowed and maybe stopped. Cutting pension benefits should be a crime---so lets criminalize it rather then lying down for it. If we can elect Bernie, he will fight to end the MPRA and he will fight to fully fund pensions and end Obama's policy of facilitating pension cuts.

cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 20 Feb 2016, 17:46:30

Plant, you don't seem to be following the conversation.

The reason the pension funds cannot meet their commitments is firstly, falling membership in the unions. Membership is falling because automobile industry jobs are being offshored and automated. These are not the sort of problems that can be solved by passing laws.

Secondly, the pension fund managers cannot sell bonds to increase revenues. Although such bonds were good things to invest in in past years, with interest rates being held so low by the Fed, you just cannot earn enough to make it worthwhile to invest your money in such bonds. Knowing as we do that the pension funds are going broke within a decade or two, nobody is ever going to buy these bonds.

Knowing these things were happening, and understanding why they were happening, and that there was no way of preventing the pension funds from defaulting on commitments and that lawsuits would be filed on behalf of the pensioners, is why so many pension fund managers embezzled money and fled to places where they cannot be extradited. It was their only chance at maintaining any form of comfortable lifestyle. Those that had too much integrity to do something such as that will indeed be impoverished by people seeking redress for things the pension managers could not fix.

It's all fallout from the massive debt incurred by the USA during the financial bailout in 2008. The dollar is the world's reserve currency, and suddenly everybody realized that the USA was perfectly willing to (in effect) print money forever to maintain US luxury lifestyles. Which is another way of saying that owning dollars - although still by far the best deal in town - is not as good as it used to be. Which is why anybody with US dollars is buying things in the USA. The Saudis are buying retail gas stations, the Chinese are buying large corporate farms, etc. etc.

Welcome to post oil peak life. You are luckier than your kids, dollars are still worth something now, real inflation is only around 6-8% per year today. Your kids will see 50% or more per year, and will eventually be burning bundles of banknotes for heat, as happened in Germany last century.

I am sorry to have to tell you this, but there really is nothing the politicians can do to improve the sorry state of affairs. But they will be unable to help themselves, and will make it worse. Now you know why the 1% own things and not dollars.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 20 Feb 2016, 23:09:51

Plantagenet wrote:Wait a minute---its not just pension insurance getting cut---pensions are going to be be cut as well. The new budget bill would let private pensions reduce benefits paid to some former employees

congressional-leaders-hammer-out-deal-to-allow-pension-plans-to-cut-retiree-benefits

And obama has already said he would sign this budget bill. SHEEESH!

Why should we be surprised by this Plant? This is the same kind of thing that ended up being done to many GM pensioners after the GM bankruptcy Obama welcomed to "save" GM -- also due to the technicality of a multi-employer plan, per the following article on the 6th circuit court decison:

http://www.law360.com/articles/609553/g ... d-6th-circ

So if I read this right, lawyers and crooked companies now have a new legal scam to get out of many pension obligatons. Just create multi-company firms via mergers and merge the pension plans and ensure the right legal details are in place and wala.

As government continues to squirm out of its obligations towards its citizens which are supposedly guaranteed by law, I'm surprised so many people assume social security benefits are "completely safe"
in the longer run.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sun 21 Feb 2016, 05:12:12

We have long known that - barring a major restructuring - the SS Fund would be bankrupt in 2-3 decades.

The new information would be, that the currency will be effectively worthless before then. When you get your low-4-digit check for the month, or your automatic deposit, you will go out and buy as much food as you can, before you lose purchasing power. The next month, you get to buy less. Nobody will bother with rent or mortgages or even paying utility bills, not when they cannot buy enough food. Ditto for your 401K or IRA disbursements.

Note that I am describing high inflation, perhaps 50% per year. There is a level of currency dis-function beyond that, which is called hyperinflation.

Hyperinflation Has Occurred in 21 Countries Over the Past 25 Years
1. Angola (1991-1999)
In the 1995 currency reform, 1 kwanza reajustado was exchanged for 1,000 kwanzas… In the 1999 currency reform, 1 new kwanza was exchanged for 1,000,000 kwanzas reajustados. The overall impact of hyperinflation: 1 new kwanza = 1,000,000,000 pre-1991 kwanzas.

2. Argentina (1975-1991)
In the 1983 currency reform, 1 Peso Argentino was exchanged for 10,000 pesos. In the 1985 currency reform, 1 austral was exchanged for 1,000 pesos argentine.
Hyperinflation continued reaching a peak annualized rate of 4,923.3 percent in December 1989. At that time, government expenditure reached 35.6 percent of GDP and the fiscal deficit was 7.6 percent of GDP.
In 1990 the Argentine government created a new monetary system and established a Currency Board in April 1991. Inflation fell from 1,344 percent in 1990 to 84 percent in 1991. In the 1992 currency reform, 1 new peso was exchanged for 10,000 australes.
The inflation rate for 1992 was 17.5 percent, 7.4 percent in 1993, 3.9 percent in 1994 and 1.6 percent in 1995. By 1995, government expenditure represented 27 percent of Argentina’s GDP. The overall impact of hyperinflation: 1 new peso = 100,000,000,000 pre-1983 pesos.

3. Belarus (1994-2002)
In the 2000 currency reform, the rublei was replaced by the new ruble at an exchange rate of 1 new ruble = 2,000 old rublei.

4. Bolivia (1984-1986)
In the 1987 currency reform, the peso boliviano was replaced by the boliviano which was pegged to the U.S. dollar.

5. Brazil (1986-1994)
By the mid 1980s inflation was out of control reaching a peak of 2000 percent. In 1986 three zeros were dropped and the cruzeiro became the cruzado. In 1989, another three zeroes were dropped and the cruzado became the cruzado novo.
In order to avoid confusion and not associate the new currency with previous monetary policy, the cruzado novo was renamed the cruzeiro with no change in value in 1990. By 1993, three more zeros were dropped from the cruzeiro which became known as the cruzeiro real.
In 1994 the cruzero real was replaced by the real, worth 2.75 old cruzeiros reais… and the following measures were enacted:
1. A constitutional amendment… which empowered the Central Bank not to finance the budget deficit
2. The Central Bank made it illegal for regional banks to buy government-issued bonds
3. Wages were frozen…
As a result of these measures, prices dropped dramatically from July 1994 onwards and by 1997 inflation had been reduced to standard international levels. The overall impact of hyperinflation: 1 (1994) real = 2,700,000,000,000,000,000 pre-1930 reis.

6. Bosnia-Herzegovina (1993)
Bosnia-Hezegovina went through its worst inflation in 1993. In 1992, the highest denomination was 1,000 dinara. By 1993, the highest denomination was 100,000,000 dinara. In the Republika Srpska, the highest denomination was 10,000 dinara in 1992 and 10,000,000,000 dinara in 1993.

7. Bulgaria (1991-1997)
In 1996, Bulgaria defaulted on its international debt and narrowly escaped a revolution. From 1991 to 1997, Bulgaria experienced hyperinflation (rates of inflation exceeding 50%) that crippled its banking system and during the winter 1996-97 hyperinflation and food shortages led to hunger protests. A currency board established in July 1997 slashed three zeroes off the currency.

8. Ecuador (2000)
Ecuador officially pegged its currency to the US dollar in September 2000 after a 75% drop in value in early January of that year.

9. Georgia (1995)
In the 1995 currency reform, 1 new lari was exchanged for 1,000,000 laris.

10. Madagascar (2004)
The Madagascan franc lost nearly half its value in 2004. On 1 January 2005 the Madagascan ariary replaced the franc at a rate of 1 ariary for five Madagascan francs.

11. Mexico (1994)
On 1 January 1993, the Bank of Mexico introduced a new currency, the nuevo peso which was equal to 1,000 old pesos. Since the Mexico Peso Crisis of 1994 the value of the Mexico peso has plummeted by almost 60%.

12. Nicaragua (1987-1990)
Nicarauga went through a currency reform in 1988 which saw 1 new Cordoba replace 1,000 old cordobas. In the mid-1990 currency reform, 1 old Cordoba equaled 5,000,000 new cordobas. Total impact of hyperinflation: 1 old Cordoba = 5,000,000,000 pre-1987 cordobas.

13. Peru (1984-1990)
In the 1985 currency reform, 1 intis was exchanged for 1000 soles de oro… In the 1991 currency reform, 1 nuevo sol was exchanged for 1,000,000 intis. The overall impact of hyperinflation: 1 nuevo sol = 1,000,000,000 pre 1985 soles de oro.

14. Poland (1990-1993)
Poland suffered two bouts of hyperinflation. The first occurred from 1922 to 1924 when inflation rates reached 275%.[The second,] after three years of hyperinflation, resulted in currency reform in 1994 in which 10,000 old zlotych were exchanged for 1 new zloty.

15. Romania (2000-2005)
Romania is still working through steady inflation that began around the time when the Iron Curtain came down… Consumer inflation in 2000 was over 45%… In July 2005 the leu was replaced by the new leu at 10,000 old lei = 1 new leu. Inflation in 2005 was about 9%.

16. Russia (1992-1994)
Russia experienced 213% inflation during the Bolshevik Revolution and again during the first year of post-Soviet reform in 1992 when annual inflation peaked at 2520%. In 1993 the annual rate was 840%, and in 1994, 224%. The ruble devalued from about 100 r/$ in 1991 to about 30,000 r/$ in 1999.

17. Turkey (1990’s)
Throughout the 1990s Turkey dealt with severe inflation rates that finally crippled the economy into a recession in 2001…Recently Turkey has achieved single digit inflation for the first time in decades, and in the 2005 currency reform, introduced the New Turkish Lira; 1 was exchanged for 1,000,000 old lira.

18. Ukraine (1993-1995)
Inflation rates peaked at 1400% per month between 1993 and 1995 resulting in the karbovantsiv being taken out of circulation in 1996 and replaced by the hryvnya at an exchange rate of 100,000 karbovantsivi = 1 hryvnya.

19. Yugoslavia (1989-1994)
[Yugoslavia had the] second worst hyperinflationary period in recent history with a monthly inflation rate of 5 quintillion percent. Between Oct 1, 1993 and January 24, 1994 prices doubled every sixteen hours on average. At the end of it, one novi dinar = 1,300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 pre-1990 dinars.

20. Zaire (1989-1996)
In the 1993 currency reform, 1 nouveau zaire was exchanged for 3,000,000 old zaires. In 1997 Zaire was renamed the Congo Democratic Republic and changed its currency to francs. 1 franc was exchanged for 100,000 nouveaux zaires. The overall impact of hyperinflation: One 1997 franc = 300 billion pre-1989 dinars.

21. Zimbabwe (1999 – 2009)
The Rhodesian dollar (R$) replaced the pound as the currency in 1970 at a rate of 2 Rhodesian dollars = 1 pound (R$ 0.71 = USD $1.00). At the time of independence in 1980, one Zimbabwean dollar (of 100 cents) was worth US$1.50…. [Inflation reached an absurd 231,000,000% in the summer of 2008. Output measured in dollars had halved in barely a decade. A hundred-trillion-dollar note was made ready for circulation, but no sane tradesman would accept local banknotes. A ban on foreign-currency trading was lifted in January 2009. By then the American dollar had become Zimbabwe’s main currency, a position it still holds today.]

Editor’s Note: The author’s views and conclusions in the above article are unaltered and no personal comments have been included to maintain the integrity of the original post. Furthermore, the views, conclusions and any recommendations offered in this article are not to be construed as an endorsement of such by the editor.

More on this cheery subject if that wasn't enough:
http://www.munknee.com/21-countries-have-experienced-hyperinflation-in-last-25-years-is-the-u-s-next/

(The above text plus a list of related information.)

My personal belief is that the US will suffer high inflation, not hyperinflation which is the fate of most other economies. The result will be economic refugees - just about everybody will want to come here, our open borders won't prevent it. Wherever you live, you will be surrounded by homeless. Just as there are homeless within sight of my house today in Silly Valley.

Pretty darned soon, if you are an urban dweller, anybody on a fixed income of any type, you will also be homeless. The government will print money for a while to hold off the crash, and every time they do so, the inflation will get worse.

"Pretty darned soon" means within two decades. Some of us are in our 60s already and the average lifespan in our country rose to 78.8 years in 2015, the highest figure ever. The suicide rate also peaked to a new high - and people being unable to adjust to the rate of change is why.

But everybody here understands doom, right? Money is worthless, cannibal gangs, no motor fuel, etc. etc.

You see, peak oil happened, and life gradually declines from here on out, and every four years, a new fool will claim he can save us if we only vote for him. Your grandchildren will not watch Mad Max movies, they will live them.

You were right all along about Peak Oil.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 20 Apr 2016, 19:14:47

Huge Pension cuts coming for Teamster's Union retirees, thanks to new Obama law allowing pensions to break their contracts with retirees and cut benefits.

going-be-national-crisis-one-largest-us-pension-funds-set-cut-retiree-benefits

This is bad timing for the Ds----this is going to get a whole lot of retired Teamsters really angry right before the 2016 elections

Did they know Obama was going to cut their pensions?
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics