Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

US battalion arrives in Western Ukraine

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Re: US battalion arrives in Western Ukraine

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 11 Mar 2015, 19:03:26

AgentR11 wrote:I already posted what is the right answer, and that is to lock the lines down tight as they are; Estonia is fodder, and deserves to be fodder.

Whoahhhhhhh, Agent.

I don't recall that being what you said. You told me before that that Estonia is nato and Estonia would be the red line.

Have you changed your view. :?: No -- Estonia is not "fodder" -- Estonia is NATO. We all sink or swim together, or there is no NATO at all. I'll tell you what SHOULD have been done by now, already, and a lot of US troops should have got sent into Estonia. We can play this game in Ukraine as it is, but solid NATO territory needed to be shored up already.

I posted the Estonian piece so that you'd understand that we are not defending Truth, Justice, and the American Way; but rather OUR interests, for OUR purposes, for OUR enrichment. We give Russia two options that they can choose between, one of which allows us all to remain alive hating each other till the end of time.

Estonia issue is complex. We'd need another thread on Estonia and start digging into Estonian history and culture and Jesus I do not have the time for that.

The best that I understand it: ethnic estonians have some very bad memories of things that Soviet Russians did. From what I've read, best I can glean it, is that ethnic Russians in Estonia watch Russian tv and all that horrible foxnews propaganda on it. But -- Russians in Estonia are happy, just as Russians in America are happy, and they have a nice standard of living and they like the place and they're not gonna start a revolution.

You brought up the issue of their voting rights. They CAN, in fact, become citizens. I already read into this before. The only issue at hand appears to just be that the Estonian citizenship test requires too much Estonian language proficiency, and really it should be made a bit simpler like we have with our naturalization test, which is "basic English."

We have our own issues in the USA, you know. We've got tens of millions of undocumented Spanish speakers that would like a path to citizenship too. (I'm okay with that, a lot of R's aren't)

BUT AGENT DOES THAT MEAN WE SHOULD GET INVADED BY RUSSIA, BECAUSE OUR NATURALIZATION TEST REQUIRES ENGLISH? Hell no!

Does that mean Russia has a right to hybrid war in Russia, ostensibly to "look out for" Russians in Estonia? Heck no! Estonia is a sovereign nation!

And WE are a sovereign nation, and we've probably got about a million Russians here. Russia can't invade us! To force us to do things they want us to, for Russians living in America! Do you see the point?

Estonia is soverign and nato and sacrosanct, hybrid war there means war between the West and Russia. Maybe you changed your view, I honestly remember you saying Estonia was the red line, now you say "fodder," I don't know man.

Russia can invade a NATO country, fight, die, launch the nukes and we all die horribly.

Estonia IS A NATO COUNTRY. It's not fodder. And no, they will not launch nukes, just like that, so just stop it. There are about 5,000 escalations between here and there. Ok?

I'll tell you how I know this: because it's strategic. Launching their nukes is a major trump card that Russia has. They're not gonna blow that threat trump card all at once. There's a lot of things they could do, nuclear sabre rattling wise, between here and there. So relax. And they'll never push the button anyway, anymore than Kruschev ever did, or Stalin, or Gorbachev, or Yeltsin.

Or Russian can hold its current lines in Europe, we hold Russian territory absolutely sacrosanct, including Crimea. The frozen zones stay frozen until the end of time;

That's a valid view, but our government and our leaders are nowhere near that yet.

As it stands -- Joe Biden says that Russia has "no right to any sphere of influence." Joe Biden says that all nations are independent and sovereign and can ally with whoever they choose to.

UA slices off the Eastern half and becomes a viable European country with borders at the Dneiper, inclusive of Kharkov probably. Not sure how Odessa plays out. We arm the piddle out of Ukraine, Kiev fights and loses horribly till they decide they've had enough dieing. Russia gets the broken left over in the East of Ukraine. thus, no nuclear exchange;

Well I'm fine with that, some resolution, as it stands all we are doing is losing ground because we don't make a compromise and draw a darn DMZ somewhere and fortify and call it a day.

You are so obsessed with proving that the mess isn't our fault, that you dont' care if we all end up dead because you present the Russian side no option they can live with.

Well Agent, I just happen to agree with that Swedish government minister that said Russia acts like an abuser that wants to blame the victim.

They spin narratives to justify their expansion by force of arms, and somehow everyone else is supposed to feel like it's their fault. I'm countering the propaganda, Agent, that's my view and it's Jeb Bush's view and it's Hillary Clinton's view too.

That is what real Republicans know how to do; win, while insuring your adversary has a position to land in that they can tolerate;

Right.

Republicans can equitably handle Russia. Maybe Hillary Clinton can, too. A Jeb or Hillary are both sort of from the cold war era. With Bush, it's that he's steeped in that history from his father, and all the old cold war era R's on his team.

There's really nothing to fear, people, but fear itself. We have a very long cultural history of dealing with Russia, and they with us, maybe we will have to stand up to each other sometimes but we'll work things out in the end. We'd rather they'd just be our friends, but if that's not what they want, then we know how to be respected adversaries as well.

EDIT: Now this post is way to long but I just want to add, I have been so steeped in hearing the Russian view on things, for so long now, I am actually quite understanding of them. Or their narratives, anyway, and that's all that matters because that's what forms opinion in Russia.

So having said that -- I wouldn't mind seeing a "reset." I'd actually like to see a US president zero in and talk directly to what they say their issues are. This history, and all of that, and about Crimea. BUT AT THE SAME TIME -- that very same president needs to have some US troops fortifying and holding a line in Ukraine.

But I guess if we do that, Russia will never forgive us. But you know what. THEY DON'T OWN UKRAINE. And Ukrainians are human beings, that matter as much as a Russian does. And Estonians, and Poles, are people too and they like us and they're our allies. US troops go over to the Baltics, and the people are nice to them, our cultures have a friendship. Let's not forget that. These are all people, they all matter.

People in the Baltics, and Poland, and Ukraine are good people and they are our friends and allies and they matter:

Latvian, US Soldiers celebrate local military history

ADAZI, Latvia -- American paratroopers joined their Latvian allies as they celebrated the Latvian battalion's anniversary alongside friends and family with food, drink and games here July 24.

Paratroopers with 1st Squadron, 91st Cavalry Regiment, 173rd Airborne Brigade and 3rd Battalion, 158th Aviation Regiment displayed an armored Humvee and UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter for friends and family of the Latvian 2nd Infantry Battalion.

"This is the only day out of the year when I can show my family what I'm doing and where I'm serving," said Latvian Maj. Vents Lapsenbergs, former commander of 2nd Inf. Bn. "It's great that [the Americans] are here. It's a way for kids to see the military. They enjoy climbing on the helicopters - it's something different."

Paratroopers with 1st Sqdn., 91st Cav. Regt., based in Grafenwoehr, Germany, are in Latvia for Operation Atlantic Resolve, an exercise dedicated to demonstrating America's commitment to NATO obligations and to sustain interoperability with allied forces.

"This is the first time U.S. Soldiers have been here and [they] bring a new tradition: we will celebrate our anniversary with our partners," said Latvian Lt. Col. Maris Gavrilko, commander of 2nd Battalion. "This is not what we usually do, but I'm very glad and pleased that we have the opportunity to share this day with the U.S. Soldiers."

The American commander seconded his sentiments.

"The exposure, the experience, the friendships that are being developed here are truly amazing," Reed said. "In the grand scheme of all of this, it is about bolstering the NATO alliance. All of us working together creates a stronger defense, whether it's here in the Baltics, in Europe or Africa. Everybody working together achieves greater results than just one military."

There are hundreds of articles and youtubes like that, you can see it for yourself, American servicemen impressed with how friendly the people are and how much they appreciate them being there and USA backing them up.

We need a modern Reagan approach. UNDERSTAND Russia. AND stand up to them. Do both. Trust, verify. And don't throw our friends under the bus either, never.

I'm sorry the post is so long. But we do need more forces in east Europe. The people there need to see our soldiers, it shores up the alliance with them, they need to see our Army are good people that have put their LIVES on the line to defend the freedom of another country. That's the entire ethos of the US military and it's not a bunch of BS, and it's most real in a place like Estonia or Poland where they are genuinely worried they may just be invaded one day if not for America, the only place that can and would stop it.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Wed 11 Mar 2015, 19:55:51, edited 3 times in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 11 Mar 2015, 19:35:32

Sixstrings,

WE refused to ratify the amended CFE treaty, because it kept the original CFE in force which, with Warsaw Pact nations being absorbed by NATO and the EU, created an imbalance in conventional forces in Europe in favor of the West. Nations that did not exist at the time of the original treaty(the Baltic States) had no conventional forces limits, which allowed the West to stack unlimited conventional forces on Russia's Border.

WE placed intermediate range nuclear missiles in Europe as close to Russia's border as possible.

WE violated the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, and began installing components in Europe as close to Russia as possible, giving the West potential First Strike Capability.

WE encouraged Georgia to invade the independent republics of South Ossetia and Abkhazia and began setting up operations there to base US forces.

WE orchestrated a COUP against the DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED government of Ukraine and installed a NAZI led puppet government there, then provided assistance and encouragement to crush their own people into submission, labeling those who resisted the overthrow of their DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED government, 'Terrorists'.

WE attempted to orchestrate a COUP in Kazakhstan in 2007 which failed.

WE continued the Cold War against Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union, when we failed to take control of Russia's resources through economic expansion.

WE are, and always have been, the Aggressor here. WE not them.

WE are the Expansionists seeking global hegemony, not them.

WE are the ones attempting to dictate to the world, not them.

WE are the ones, at this moment, waging Economic War against Russia, pretending it's justifiable sanctions.

WE are the ones that have just put the world on the brink of WWIII. And there are NO acceptable risks to nuclear war. Only an absolute moron could make such a statement.

To whom is Russia a threat if we do not dominate them? Not to you or me personally. Only to the Western Banking Elite who seek global economic hegemony.

How is Russia a threat? The threat Russia poses is that they, in cooperation with China, could provide an alternative economic system, threatening the economic monopolistic domination by the western banking elite.

Yes, that's right. That's what this is all about.

So what do 'we the people' win if we 'Stay the Course'? Absolutely nothing, as 'the people' are already suffering from the economic monopolistic domination by the western banking elite. We would just be helping the western international banking monopoly inflict it's misery on the entire global population.

Western nations only exist to the extent that they are a convenience to corporate and banking interests in preventing international governance and regulation of their activities.

This is not a struggle between nations, it is struggle for global economic hegemony by the western elite. Such a thing is NOT in the interests of 'we the people'.

And certainly NOT 'worth the risk' of global thermonuclear war.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dissident » Wed 11 Mar 2015, 19:36:57

http://sputniknews.com/world/20150311/1019344795.html

It is Game, Set and Match in Ukraine. The only way the US can have any effect in this region and turn the tide is to start killing Russians. Killing so many Russians that even Putin’s media can’t hide the fact that Russians are returning to the Motherland in body bags.

Another two bit dirtbag retired US major general spouts off about murdering Russians. This shitwit needs to buy a clue. The Donbas is populated by ethnic Russians. The Ukraine is a pet project of both the German Kaiser during WWI and Lenin after the revolution. The US wants to go to war over some BS borders when it proved in the case of Kosovo that it does not care about the "sanctity" of borders.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 11 Mar 2015, 20:05:48

You post reminded me of a scene from Canadian Bacon.

https://youtu.be/85k7RVPgqZk
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Wed 11 Mar 2015, 20:31:30

6 thinks because she's cute and blond that she's not scum.
There are plenty of exactly similarly cute blond ones on the Russian side. with similarly cute kids.
There's even a photo of one and her toddler blown to bits in a park by Ukraine shelling of her city of residence.

NO. Estonia is scum because of their policy of depriving people who've lived their entire lives in that country, for longer than that country has existed, of the right to vote. Period. They are our scum though, and we'll protect them... doing most of the conventional fighting on their dirt, blowing up their cities and civilian infrastructure and poisoning their countryside to keep Germany well enough protected from any inconvenient bloodshed. Estonians deserve the fate they have selected for themselves.

And I'm so sick of your fear argument I could puke. You are the only one doing the fear thing. But you refuse to embrace reality. Your un-fear is because you live in fantasy land where Russia will just suck it up and take whatever we dish out and do nothing. We can cripple them, slaughter their kin, deprive them of their access to commerce, strip them of access to the Black Sea, and they'll just say, "OK, you beat us at the grift and lawyer game, we'll go die now." NOT. If you're going to embrace trapping Russia into a condition that guarantees their end as a nation, at least own up to the consequences of that move. Its cowardly not to. We are desperately trying to kill Russia; Putin is, for the moment, managing to slip our grip and keep Russia viable; but we are trying hard, maybe we'll out fox him yet, and destroy Russia.... Problem is though, he's not "our guy". When the general comes to this President of Russia with "the football"; Putin will order a full launch rather than see Russia subjugated again as it was when the USSR broke up.

Sure.. that makes it his fault. Fine. Great. Lovely. I'm sure our dead corpses and burned out planet will make quite the effort of recording who was at fault.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Thu 12 Mar 2015, 04:53:41

Don't know which is most scary Agent' s realism or 6's fantasies that make Agent's prediction even the more likely?
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Withnail » Thu 12 Mar 2015, 06:55:35

Sixstrings wrote: No -- Estonia is not "fodder" -- Estonia is NATO. We all sink or swim together, or there is no NATO at all. I'll tell you what SHOULD have been done by now, already, and a lot of US troops should have got sent into Estonia. We can play this game in Ukraine as it is, but solid NATO territory needed to be shored up already.

See, I don't remember being asked or any vote being taken in the UK as to whether Estonia should join NATO, thus making us miltarily liable for whatever lunacy these east European deadbeats perpetrate once they have the NATO bully backing them up.

So I don't see any 'we' here. Estonia is nothing to do with me.
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dissident » Thu 12 Mar 2015, 16:35:00

America thinks it owns the planet.

http://sputniknews.com/asia/20150312/1019411679.html

Colonel Le The Mau, a senior military official from the country's Military Strategy Institute, told Sputnik Việt Nam that the United States' demand that Vietnam stop allowing Russian refueling planes to land at Cam Ranh airbase amounts to interference in the country's affairs:

"Washington's demand that Vietnam [stops allowing refueling planes to land] can be seen as nothing else but interference in the internal affairs of Vietnam, a sovereign state which determines its own policies for cooperating with its friends and partners."
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 12 Mar 2015, 16:44:15

We do. Now pay up!
:-D
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 12 Mar 2015, 19:27:05

AgentR11 wrote:6 thinks because she's cute and blond that she's not scum.

If you're talking about the Army News article I posted, that "blond" is US military. I only posted the Army News article to illustrate that apparently people in East Europe like Americans, and appreciate their alliance with us, and it makes them feel secure to see US presence there and that they haven't been forgotten about.

There's even a photo of one and her toddler blown to bits in a park by Ukraine shelling of her city of residence.

And that's what Estonians do not want in their country. As long as the stars and stripes flies there, then there will never be an invasion -- hybrid or otherwise.

NO. Estonia is scum because of their policy of depriving people who've lived their entire lives in that country, for longer than that country has existed, of the right to vote. Period.

Well by your logic, then Republicans over here are all "scum" too because they won't agree to a path to citizenship for the millions of Spanish speakers, many of which have lived all their lives here.

So are we all scum then, should we just surrender to Putin, Agent? I don't get your point.

Estonia isn't scum. It's a nice place in Europe, kind of looks like Sweden or Denmark or something. They are PEOPLE. They seem like nice people, to me. They're our friends and allies.

They are our scum though, and we'll protect them...

They aren't "scum." Just looks like another nice place in Europe to me.

Helsinki and Tallinn: Baltic Sisters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mypgWmryWrI

They aren't scum anymore than Denmark or Sweden are "scum." They aren't "scum" anymore than the state of Connecticut are all "scum."

They're good people, they are our friend, they are our allies, they appreciate when US servicemen rotate there, and yes our government has committed to defend them.

Estonians deserve the fate they have selected for themselves.

Yikes, what is with you. :?: :?:

I don't even talk that way about Russia, they're not all "scum" either. They've just got more of a bully element in their culture, and most of all their government is aggressive and scaring some neighbors. Estonians aren't "scum" any more than Swedes or Danes are, what's up with you Agent. :?:

And I'm so sick of your fear argument I could puke. You are the only one doing the fear thing. But you refuse to embrace reality.

You can be sick of it all you want to, but despite what's on RT or on internet forums, there really are people in Europe that are nervous about Russian invasion.

Your un-fear is because you live in fantasy land where Russia will just suck it up and take whatever we dish out and do nothing.

We have not dished anything out to them. The world went to that Olympics and clapped. And then Putin invaded Ukraine. That is what happened.

Why do you want me to fear Russia, Agent? I'm old enough to remember the Cold War. I don't remember fearing them back then. Since when do we Americans fear people. Did I miss the memo. :?:

Jeb Bush says our enemies should fear us, not the other way around, Agent.

Anyhow, we don't have a problem with Russia unless one of our airliners goes down or something like that. Or unless they mess with a nato ally, like Estonia. USA will just respond commensurately, with whatever they do, and it's up to them. But we will never fear them. We don't fear anybody. Doesn't mean we're not responsible nor cautious, but we do not fear Iranians nor ISIS nor Putin's Russia nor North Korea.

If you're going to embrace trapping Russia into a condition that guarantees their end as a nation,

No, we are just standing up. THEY need to chill out. THEY need to stop poking US. THEY are the ones that have created a self-fulfilling prophecy. THEY are the ones that missed the old cold war days. So ok. It's all up to them, Agent, but we WILL defend nato.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 12 Mar 2015, 19:33:50

"we have not dished out anything to to them...." you have got to be kidding. We looted the crud out of them in the 90s; and then set about stripping them of their access to the Black Sea & Med this century, once they got wise to the looting.

And fear again? Really? YOU ARE SO FREAKING AFRAID OF RATIONAL ANALYSIS THAT YOU CAN'T EVEN LOOK IT WITHOUT FLEEING BEHIND 'THEY GOT NO RIGHT TO.'

FEAR has nothing to do with it. Nothing to do with anything.

And yeah, it is all up to them. So great to know its all up to them, as we put them in a box with no possible survivable exit and a button to end the world. Hope you like the odds.

I'm ok with the odds; a burned out wasteland doesn't really scare me much. Influenza terrifies me.

A burned out wasteland isn't all that profitable though, and it disturbs me that those who are charged with protecting our prosperity are ramping up the odds on that being the end result.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 12 Mar 2015, 20:14:42

AgentR11 wrote:And yeah, it is all up to them. So great to know its all up to them, as we put them in a box with no possible survivable exit and a button to end the world. Hope you like the odds.

Well, that "box" is the result of liberal / Ron Paul libertarian right / Bernie Sanders cooky far left / Nevile Chamberlain Obama quisling foreign policy.

That "box" is the sanctions. WHICH I NEVER AGREED WITH.

Putin wanted to come out and play a little bit, and that's what we should have done, and that is deterrence, that's how tough guys deal with each other. Bankers put sanctions on and just pisses the bear off more.

All we needed to do Agent was just a show of force, early on, and it would have checked the Russian advances so far. That's all. They're tough guys. They'd respect tough guys.

I'm ok with the odds; a burned out wasteland doesn't really scare me much. Influenza terrifies me.

Don't worry so much, I already told ya there's 5,000 chess moves between here and a Russian president pushing the button for first strike.

We've got a lot of experience at cold war, we know how to do this as much as they do. And we've actually got far better military leadership now than in the 50s and 60s. Dempsey, Breedlove, these guys are professionals -- the best in the world -- and know what they're doing.

We can always back down if the Russians ever do start to really scare us, ok? So just don't wave that white flag prematurely, is all.

But the price Putin's Russia will pay, if they ever go total north korea, will be Berlin Wall time and we'd treat them like they are CRAZY. I don't think they really want that, to be isolated like that.

Please remember the stated position of our generals, and the WH, is that we want Ukraine to work out a relationship with Russia but also that we support Ukraine being independent and on a EU track if that is what they want.

A burned out wasteland isn't all that profitable though, and it disturbs me that those who are charged with protecting our prosperity are ramping up the odds on that being the end result.

Well don't worry so much, it's not like Putin will just push the button. Doesn't work like that. There's about 5,000 moves between here and there. Russians would never first strike anyway. They've got a good army and could build up a good intel op again if they want to, if they want to hit us there are other ways they can do that, and then we'd have to hit back, and we'll work it all out somewhere in between.

Or they can just chill out for a while.

They can be our friend, frenemy, or enemey, it is all up to them, seriously we can do whichever.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 12 Mar 2015, 20:32:34

Russia could care less about the sanctions. You've hurt Western Europe more than you've hurt them. You see, they have options. They have their own Co-Prosperity sphere, and economic alliances with most of the rest of the world. They don't need the US and Western Europe.

And that is why they are the Enemy. We do not have them under our thumb. We lack the ability to make them submit to our will. They snub us, and laugh at us, and go about their business among themselves, perfectly happy and content.

And that is just unforgivable. :lol:

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 12 Mar 2015, 20:43:09

You're right though. They will not attack us militarily first.

But we may attack them and make up some excuse as to why it was justified. We have already attacked and undermined their allies. And if we do, they will have no choice but to target our overwhelming advantage in conventional forces with tactical nukes. And from there things escalate quickly.

You people are fucking morons, like drunks messing with a scorpion. Lots of fun until somebody gets stung.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 12 Mar 2015, 20:50:04

Cid_Yama wrote:You people are fucking morons, like drunks messing with a scorpion. Lots of fun until somebody gets stung.

Maybe you're right. Maybe we should have ignored Ukraine. May be too late now.

Hopefully some muddle-through middle ground will be found, and if Russians want some kind of consolation then I imagine we will probably do our very best to ignore a Georgia or Kazakstan or Belarus if they want to jump in our boat next.

It's a very tough spot to be in.

Imagine knowing a woman that's getting abused, and you consider taking her into your house, but then you're also thinking of that crazy abusive husband of hers and the danger taking her in could bring on you. It's not easy, being leader of the free world. People, in trouble, flocking to our banner.

Anyhow I don't want to make another Russia thread so I'll put this news here. It hasn't hit cable news yet, but just lately, there's a noticeable rampup of defense against Russia concern coming out of British gov and now US gov.

Pentagon is starting to take these bomber flights seriously, and wondering if the cruise missiles are nuclear tipped or conventional:

U.S. admiral raises alarm over Russian military threat

Washington (CNN)The ability of the U.S. and Canadian military to defend North America could be jeopardized by stepped up Russian military activity, according to the commander of the North American Aerospace Defense Command.

Adm. William Gortney told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Thursday that Russia is continuing to work on its program to deploy "long-range conventionally armed cruise missiles," that can be launched from its bomber aircraft, submarines and warships. This is giving the Kremlin "deterrent" options "short of the nuclear threshold," Gortney said.

"Should these trends continue over time, NORAD will face increased risk in our ability to defend North America against Russian air, maritime and cruise missile threats," he said.

Gortney's remarks came in written testimony submitted to the committee.

"This past year has marked a notable increase in Russian military assertiveness," on the world stage, he said. Russian heavy bomber aircraft flew more patrols outside Russian airspace "than in any year since the Cold War," though he did not offer a specific number. There have also been increased Russian air patrols across the coastlines of Europe.

The NORAD commander later said that Russian flights, even down the English Channel, are at a pace "that has not been what they've done in the past, even back with the Soviet Union."

Under NORAD operations, the U.S. and Canada routinely send fighter jets into the skies to monitor any Russian military aircraft approaching the U.S. coastline. The Russian operations have not extended to actually flying into U.S. or Canadian airspace, but in the last year Russia is clearly trying to keep a closer eye on NORAD.

Official: Ukrainian forces killed after ceasefire
Official: Ukrainian forces killed after ceasefire 01:39
PLAY VIDEO
SEE: Nemtsov suspect withdraws confession

"We have also witnessed improved interoperability between Russian long-range aviation and other elements of the Russian military, including air and maritime intelligence collection platforms positioned to monitor NORAD responses," he said.

Gortney said the Russian air patrols, in part, are designed to "communicate its displeasure with Western policies, particularly with regard to Ukraine."

One of the security challenges for the U.S. is to determine whether the cruise missiles on its bomber aircrafts, submarines and warships are indeed conventional or may be nuclear tipped. When carried about submarines, ships and in the internal bays of bombers it's nearly impossible for U.S. intelligence to know with certainty. The concern remains that the Russian deployments of aircraft and ships into Crimea and the Kaliningrad region could give Moscow a platform for the deployment of the weapons that concern the U.S.

"They can range critical infrastructure in Alaska and in Canada that we rely on for a homeland defense mission," Gortney told senators, explaining the reach the of the long-range of the Russian cruise missiles.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/12/politics/us-russia-military-threat-alarm-norad/
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 12 Mar 2015, 20:56:57

What do you mean ignore Ukraine? We orchestrated that coup. We overthrew a DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED government because they wouldn't sign the trade agreement with Europe that sold them up the river.

So we toppled them, and installed a puppet government that immediately signed it.

Your lies don't hold water here. We watched it as it unfolded. Your attempts to rewrite history won't work here.

And nobody is flocking to your banner. You're having to twist arms just to keep Europe in line.

Also, you should be happy they are giving themselves - "deterrent" options "short of the nuclear threshold." It keeps them from having no choice but to nuke your ass.

Actually, I think they are more upset about the fact that the Russians have the means to deliver nuclear destruction to the US within minutes by a means we cannot hope to intercept.

Up to this time the politicians have been looking at this like they were fighting the previous war. Surprise, the Russian military has also joined the 21st Century. They are finding they don't have the advantage they thought they had. They remain subject to nuclear annihilation.
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Thu 12 Mar 2015, 21:20:01, edited 1 time in total.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Withnail » Thu 12 Mar 2015, 21:14:18

American politicians standing on the barricades with neo Nazi rioters intent on overthrowing the government certainly wouldn't seem to count as ignoring Ukraine.
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 12 Mar 2015, 22:38:57

Sixstrings wrote:Imagine knowing a woman that's getting abused, and you consider taking her into your house, but then you're also thinking of that crazy abusive husband of hers and the danger taking her in could bring on you. It's not easy, being leader of the free world. People, in trouble, flocking to our banner.

I'm pretty sick of this stupid analogy as well. This isn't husband and wife, abuser / victim. The victim usually doesn't promise to kill a few million, and succeed at killing a few thousand humans. No, this is two, rather annoying, badly behaved brothers; one more drunk than the other, one poorer than the other; one more willing to kill for the heck of it than the other. They are in a fist fight of the sort that usually leaves a lot of blood and teeth all over the carpet.

Trying to convince yourself that the one losing happens to be the "good guy" is delusional thinking. Neither of them are good guys. The only important thing is to make sure neither of them blow up the house.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 13 Mar 2015, 00:36:02

Withnail wrote:American politicians standing on the barricades with neo Nazi rioters intent on overthrowing the government certainly wouldn't seem to count as ignoring Ukraine.
Imagine 6's reaction if Russian politicians handed out cookies to OWS protesters. :lol:
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Fri 13 Mar 2015, 07:42:00

Sixstrings wrote:Well by your logic, then Republicans over here are all "scum" too because they won't agree to a path to citizenship for the millions of Spanish speakers, many of which have lived all their lives here.

Nope. The Mexican non-citizens are all immigrants to the US; all of those born on US soil are US citizens regardless of whether they can speak English, Spanish, Spanglish, or no language at all. The non US citizens remain full Mexican citizens, fully able to vote in their own country. And there are several tracks available for any said Mexican to apply for and achieve US citizenship that do not exceed the intellectual capabilities of even the most incompetent burger flip; you're average Mexican can handle it with no sweat, and they do handle it regularly, and in large numbers.

See a pattern here? Where ever that Mexican is in the process of becoming a US citizen, they are still Mexican citizens able to vote in Mexico.

Bob has lived in Estonia since Estonia became a country. Bob speaks Russian and no second language. Bob can not vote in Russia. Bob can not vote in Estonia. Bob can not vote in the United States. In fact, it'd be easier for Bob to end up voting in the United States than in the country he's lived in since the country, became a country. As far as the EU and Estonia is concerned, he's a non-person, and everyone would be happier if he just stayed invisible like he was supposed to.

That is so immoral and so against democratic principles that it makes my skin crawl. The only redeeming feature being that we're going to turn their sick excuse of a country into our garrison; thus insuring that every square inch of it will be turned into a radioactive wasteland should Russia start to break up or experience regime change by means other than their own national elections.

Estonia is scum. Utter, indefensible, skin-crawling, racist scum.
However, they are our scum, and we will defend them; and Estonia will deserve the result it gets in the process of being defended.

NATO, in tolerating this, or at least not providing some form of compensatory representation, is dirtied by its contact with Estonia.
We are made less by this association, and made complicit by refusal to speak up.

nb: I didn't realize how bold the lie was that six made till I read it again. Putin must be rubbing off on him. To be clear to all: US citizenship is acquired by birth on US soil. Period. Full stop. No exceptions. Some pregnant, deranged fish-person, speaking no language, from under the sea waddles up on the shore of Alabama and births a homo sapiens onto the sand. That homo sapiens is instantly, and forever, a US Citizen. Period. Doesn't matter what they learn, what they can speak, who they like, who they hate, how stupid they are or how smart. US Citizen. Period. In fact, their citizenship is so powerful, that it has a name. "Anchor Baby". Able to drag whole families into US citizens simply because he or she touched US soil at birth.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics