Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Vietnam Thread

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Oil was one of the Motivations for the Vietnam War ?

Unread postby MicroHydro » Tue 24 Jan 2006, 17:27:24

Torjus wrote:I have heard some schoolars say that the US require a common enemy at any time to stay as one unit. There is so much cultural diversity and unsolved issues in the US that without the "commies" and the "muslim terrorists" to distract the public, many groups would turn on eachother.

That is what I think the Vietnam war was about. And the other wars, to a lesser degree.

Torjus Gaaren

Torjus, you pretty much have it right. Not only did America need a common enemy for political reasons, the MilitaryIndustrialComplex needed a war to justify growth and Wall Street liked the Keynesian economic stimulus of war.

Oil had nothing to do with it. In the early 1960s, oil was $1 a barrel and the US was a major exporter. The last thing anyone wanted was more cheap oil production.
"The world is changed... I feel it in the water... I feel it in the earth... I smell it in the air... Much that once was, is lost..." - Galadriel
MicroHydro
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby nth » Tue 24 Jan 2006, 18:11:48

I doubt it.
Oil companies explore the area and did not see any large oil fields.
The amount they were producing and expect to produce was not very big.
They have abandon many oil fields that are currently in production. This to me stated that oil there were not important or else they would not have abandon oil fields.
nth
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ubercynicmeister » Tue 24 Jan 2006, 19:22:46

LOL, as stated above, the US was in the 1940's, 50's & 60's the "Saudi Arabia to the World".

The Vietnam War actually occurred because the Vichy Government was told (by Adolf Hitler) to allow the Japanese to occupy Vietnam, then a French Colony. One of the main resistance fighters against Japanese occupation (the French were useless) - and heavily supplied by the CIA with arms & training - was one Uncle Ho Chi Minh, who wrote letters to the US president during the whole of the 1940's, trying to become a US ally. This was partly because Uncle Ho could see how the "war" in China was going to turn out - and he knew he'd need a big ally against China if push came to shove, and partly because he really admired the US Consitution.

In 1942, the Allies announced that any persons in the now-occupied colonies (ie: Vietnam) who rose up against the occupiers would get their freedom (ie: de-colonisation) if the Allies won the war. Uncle Ho took 'em at their word, and got hold of vast quantities of US arms and training to stage one of the most successful guerilla campaigns against the Japanese fought anywhere in Asia.

However, once the war ended, the French wanted the previous colonies back, and promptly forgot the 1942 promise. The escalation got worse & worse when a "peace agreement" was reached, which the French in Vietnam promptly broke, and they siezed the South of the country, presumably in a mighty huff. Dien Bein Phu (etc etc) followed, and given how easily the French had been beaten by the Germans, and how easily the Vietnamese had fought off the Japs, it's a wonder why they were so damn CLUELESS about how easy (or difficult) it would be to persuade Uncle Ho to give up his ideas of independance.

Once the French got thumped, the US couldn't give Uncle Ho the recognition he wanted, because the French were needed to keep Europe (and NATO) together, so the US had to declare that Uncle Ho was a dreadful Communist (he wasn't, then) and promptly they decided to get involved. On the FRENCH side.

Now if they'd have found a way to keep the French happy while allowing Uncle Ho to have what he wanted, the US would have had Vietnam (the whole of it) as their ally. No Vietnam War. Once again, the CIA failed to transmit the "intellegence" that Uncle Ho was really wanting to be on the US' side. This was about the same time as they failed to predict the building of the Berlin Wall, about the same time as they failed to predict various small wars right the way around the world, just like they failed to predict the collapse of the Berlin Wall, just like they failed to predict the collapse of the Soviet Union (gee, I thought that wuz what they wuz workin' towards), they failed to predict the attacks of Sept 11, 2001, (etc etc).

The CIA must rank as the world's greatest flop as an "intellegence" service.
"To Get Rich you have to:

*Get up early;

*Work Hard;

*Strike Oil"

J Paul Getty
ubercynicmeister
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby pedalling_faster » Wed 25 Jan 2006, 12:19:46

thanks for the history lesson !
pedalling_faster
Permanently Banned

Unread postby greenworm » Sat 28 Jan 2006, 01:16:16

Per chance does anyone know where one can find the oil production curve for Vietnam? I vaguely recall seeing it, (ASPO) I think, UGHH! If my memory serves me correctly, vietnam produced absolutely no oil previous to 1967. All of a sudden, Whammo! up to 300,000 barrels a day and maintained this production until say 1970(remember the dates are somewhat fuzzy to me cause I don't have the graph in front of me) After 1971-72 the production went back down to 0. Then there was a lull for 5 years or so and no oil produced. Then oil was once again produced, however, it was more of a classic hubbert curve where it slowly increased to a plateu state. Please post the graph if anyone has this information readily available. I could be wrong, but this thread somehow got me thinking about why the production curve was not in the classic hubbert curve model at the very onset.
greenworm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby zed » Sun 29 Jan 2006, 01:58:17

ASPO's graph for Vietnam's oil production is available at:

http://www.peakoil.ie/downloads/newsletters/newsletter53_200505.pdf
zed
Peat
Peat

Unread postby greenworm » Mon 30 Jan 2006, 18:04:54

Thanks Zed,

I'm am not sure how I remembered that graph, but it is very similar to how I described it!!

The associated article mentions that "Oil exploration commenced in the early 1970s when the Canadian independent, Sunningdal, secured ritghts from the Saigon government whose oil policy at the time was administered by a Jesuit priest: he being perceived to know about matters natural. Elf and Mobil later joined the search, but the rights were annulled with the formation of a national company, PetroVietnam, backed by Russian technical aid. BP and other foreign companies later responded to invitations to explore the shelf following a change of policy."

Does anyone one have more information regarding this? Pretty weird that a US ally got the rights, then lost the rights to a nationalized organization with Russion backing. Hmmm, and the whole time I thought we were fighting communism. In all seriousness, does anyone have more information on this to build upon?
greenworm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby swampy » Sat 04 Feb 2006, 01:20:23

There is evidence that the Vietnam war was at least partly an oil scam. Check the article by Norman Livergood at

www.oilcompanies.net/oil1.htm

I can't be sure of the accuracy but it does explain why it was
designed as a losing war. [
swampy
Wood
Wood

300 Year Old Food Forest in Vietnam

Unread postby roccman » Sat 21 Jun 2008, 23:19:40

This is one of the little extras coming soon on the DVD title "Establishing a Food Forest" with Permaculture teacher Geoff Lawton. Whilst Geoff was in Vietnam he discovered a 300 year old Food Forest built on 2 acres of land and still functioning well in the same family 28 generations later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ZgzwoQ-ao
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: 300 Year Old Food Forest in Vietnam

Unread postby Specop_007 » Sun 22 Jun 2008, 00:39:02

Good find Rocc!

See, that is vastly more interesting then Mayan calendars, blowing up the Van Allen belts or planet X! 8)
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the
Abyss, the Abyss gazes also into you."

Ammo at a gunfight is like bubblegum in grade school: If you havent brought enough for everyone, you're in trouble
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Sun 22 Jun 2008, 01:01:07

Very cool vid Rocc.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MrBean » Sun 22 Jun 2008, 04:31:27

Thanks for sharing this. Wonderfull, small piece of paradise on Earth. Garden Planet is possible, West has little to teach if anything and lot to learn.
MrBean
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby americandream » Sun 22 Jun 2008, 05:44:59

smallpoxgirl wrote:Very cool vid Rocc.

Had no idea videos were cool. Educational, informative, eye-opening...yes, but cool.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Hagakure_Leofman » Sun 22 Jun 2008, 06:17:44

I'm lucky enough to be doing the permaculture certificate course with bill mollison and geoff lawton in september this year. Can't wait! :-D
Hagakure_Leofman
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby MrBean » Sun 22 Jun 2008, 06:31:13

Hagakure_Leofman wrote:I'm lucky enough to be doing the permaculture certificate course with bill mollison and geoff lawton in september this year. Can't wait! :-D

Happy for you. Keep posting.
MrBean
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Hagakure_Leofman » Sun 22 Jun 2008, 06:42:25

MrBean wrote:Happy for you. Keep posting.

Will do. It's a 72 hour course. I'll keep a journal and post on PO.com. :-D
Hagakure_Leofman
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby alokin » Sun 22 Jun 2008, 06:50:54

Great video! It's just how we should do things, especially in our dry continent.
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby bobaloo » Mon 23 Jun 2008, 13:36:07

Folks have apparently recently figured out that the great eastern forest of North America was anything but, it was actually a well managed nut plantation developed over 1000's of years by the local residents. Hence the massive chestnut, hickory, oak forests of the eastern US.
bobaloo
Coal
Coal

Unread postby MrBean » Mon 23 Jun 2008, 13:48:33

bobaloo wrote:Folks have apparently recently figured out that the great eastern forest of North America was anything but, it was actually a well managed nut plantation developed over 1000's of years by the local residents. Hence the massive chestnut, hickory, oak forests of the eastern US.

Wow! Agroforestry is indeed nothing new.
MrBean
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Specop_007 » Mon 23 Jun 2008, 14:14:51

bobaloo wrote:Folks have apparently recently figured out that the great eastern forest of North America was anything but, it was actually a well managed nut plantation developed over 1000's of years by the local residents. Hence the massive chestnut, hickory, oak forests of the eastern US.

Folks who? Any documentation on that?
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the
Abyss, the Abyss gazes also into you."

Ammo at a gunfight is like bubblegum in grade school: If you havent brought enough for everyone, you're in trouble
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion