Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Tanker [ship] Thread (merged)

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: US to Send LNG Tankers Through Canadian Waterway

Unread postby Specop_007 » Thu 15 Sep 2005, 16:42:05

BabyPeanut wrote: Conservatives use cold showers in the dark now?

Yes we do. All in our attempts to save the environment of course.

:P
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the
Abyss, the Abyss gazes also into you."

Ammo at a gunfight is like bubblegum in grade school: If you havent brought enough for everyone, you're in trouble
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Man sought for asking questions about tankers

Unread postby Leanan » Thu 12 Jan 2006, 19:13:57

WASHINGTON - Law enforcement officials are seeking a man who asked suspicious questions about fuel tankers at sites in Florida and Georgia, officials of the nationwide Highway Watch program said Tuesday.

A bulletin released to the public asks truckers and other transportation professionals to be on the lookout for a man who approached tanker drivers in Fort Myers and Tampa, Fla., and in a small northwest Georgia town.

The notice said the man asked drivers about tankers and fuel deliveries and in two cases took photos of tanker operations and equipment. The Florida incidents occurred last spring, and the Georgia incident was reported more than a year ago.

All of the cases appear to involve the same man, said John Willard, a spokesman for Highway Watch, a program that trains truck drivers and others on how to spot and report suspicious activities on the roads. The volunteer program works with the Homeland Security Department and police to combat terrorism.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/nation/13599185.htm

https://www.highwayisac.org/publicalert.asp?id=260

A would-be a terrorist?

Or maybe a peak oiler, trying to tweak his distribution model...
Last edited by Ferretlover on Mon 23 Feb 2009, 23:39:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with THE Tanker Thread.
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Re: Man sought for asking questions about tankers

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Thu 12 Jan 2006, 19:20:14

Aren't gas tankers rather obviously vulnerable to terrorist incidents? Who needs to take pictures & make measurements, you could probably blow it up by hitting it with a large SUV or a small car filled with explosives - hell maybe even a sniper's .50-cal would probably do the trick. Nothing precise about it at all. Could be a smoke screen, though...
*runs back to hidey-hole*
"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Leanan » Thu 12 Jan 2006, 19:40:05

Here's the surveillance camera photo of him:

He's got dark hair, and supposedly a foreign accent. Probably a terrorist.

Either that, or some academic conehead from ASPO Italy or something.

Though that hair looks like a rug to me.

Seriously, attacking tanker trucks seems like awfully small potatoes for terrorists. Tankers roll over and catch fire fairly regularly on their own. (Liquid load shifts and tips the things over.) We've lost a few bridges that way. A pain for commuters, but a far cry from 9/11.
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby Daculling » Fri 13 Jan 2006, 11:44:09

Leanan wrote:Seriously, attacking tanker trucks seems like awfully small potatoes for terrorists. Tankers roll over and catch fire fairly regularly on their own. (Liquid load shifts and tips the things over.) We've lost a few bridges that way. A pain for commuters, but a far cry from 9/11.

Mix enough Ammonium Nitrate into the tanker and you have one serious bomb. The Ok city bomb was something like a couple of 55 gallon barrels.
Daculling
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Daculling » Fri 13 Jan 2006, 11:44:42

Leanan wrote:Seriously, attacking tanker trucks seems like awfully small potatoes for terrorists. Tankers roll over and catch fire fairly regularly on their own. (Liquid load shifts and tips the things over.) We've lost a few bridges that way. A pain for commuters, but a far cry from 9/11.

Mix enough Ammonium Nitrate into the tanker and you have one serious bomb. The Ok city bomb was something like a couple of 55 gallon barrels.
Daculling
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Fri 13 Jan 2006, 11:59:00

Leanan wrote:We've lost a few bridges that way. A pain for commuters, but a far cry from 9/11.

It's not about another 9/11. It's about fear. Remember the anthrax scare? It killed FOUR people. An entire nation enthralled, gripped in fear and FOUR people died. Just the fear of tanker bombs going off in suburbia sends people into a panic, and the economy takes a beating.

:roll:

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Leanan » Fri 13 Jan 2006, 12:05:07

They never did find out who sent out those anthrax-tainted letters, did they?

Now that was scary. Even scarier than bird flu. How can you avoid mail? One victim died of what was probably a single spore, in her mail due to contact with postal equipment or contaminated mail.
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Fri 13 Jan 2006, 12:07:50

Leanan wrote:They never did find out who sent out those anthrax-tainted letters, did they?

Now that was scary. Even scarier than bird flu. How can you avoid mail? One victim died of what was probably a single spore, in her mail due to contact with postal equipment or contaminated mail.

No, I don't think they ever caught anyone for that. I wonder if anyone still cares about catching those guys. Probably not. On to the next boogeyman. :? :(

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Leanan » Fri 13 Jan 2006, 13:04:27

The weird thing is they still have no clue whether it was a domestic or overseas terrorist behind it. They harassed the hell out of Steven Hatfill, but have little proof he had anything to do with it. Some analysts think the letters were written by someone whose first language was not English, which would rule Hatfill out. I'm not sure if Hatfill is a scapegoat for an FBI under pressure to come up with a suspect, or a killer who is smarter than the average bear and has gotten away with it.
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby Aqua » Fri 13 Jan 2006, 13:08:27

“Mix enough Ammonium Nitrate into the tanker and you have one serious bomb. The Ok city bomb was something like a couple of 55 gallon barrels.”
20lbs of gelignite attached to a petrol tanker would make a nice blast incendiary too capable of taking out a wide area and much safer than adding a ½ ton of nitrate to a tank of diesel. The first bump in the road would probably make it go boom.
Wasn’t there some evidence that the anthrax spores used a few years ago came from US defence stocks? If it was an inside job by the CIA you would hardly expect anyone to be brought to book for it.
Aqua
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FoxV » Fri 13 Jan 2006, 14:13:17

emersonbiggins wrote:It's not about another 9/11. It's about fear.

just remeber, if Bush wants to continue his "war on terror", there has to be terror.

Bush has a big agenda to finish in the next two years:

Permenance of the entire patriot act
Invade Iran
Default on 38Trillion in unpayable liabilites
Remain in office beyond the two term maximum.

Abstract threats from middle eastern looking men won't cut it. To accompish these goals he needs something big to keep the sheeple from bleeting

edit---
and just when I finish writting this, guess what appears on the front page
Bush could seize absolute control of U.S. government
So I guess who cares about bleeting sheeple now.
Angry yet?
FoxV
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby The_Toecutter » Fri 13 Jan 2006, 20:42:23

He's got dark hair, and supposedly a foreign accent. Probably a terrorist.

He looks like Montequest. :razz:
The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the old growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder. ~Thomas Jefferson
The_Toecutter
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Specop_007 » Fri 13 Jan 2006, 23:16:08

Good luck getting ammonium nitrate. Trust me, I've tried. Cant find that shit to save your ass, although there are a few places left to check but it isnt just a simple over the counter at any ag store purchase anymore.

Ammo at a gunfight is like bubblegum in grade school: If you havent brought enough for everyone, you're in trouble
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eastbay » Fri 13 Jan 2006, 23:23:49

Spec,

Not too many years ago I used to buy bags of it for fertilizer... it was something like 3 bucks for 100 lbs... lol.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Specop_007 » Fri 13 Jan 2006, 23:34:06

eastbay wrote:Spec,

Not too many years ago I used to buy bags of it for fertilizer... it was something like 3 bucks for 100 lbs... lol.

I know, you could buy 50 pound bags of it anywhere. Cant find 50 pound bags anymore, its all piss (Urea nitrate). I swung by a CO-OP to check, they did sell ammonium nitrate but I could tell the guy was fucking me around. He asked what i needed it for, i said for fertilizer. He said they do...but...but....They have a minimum order. Fine jerkass, what is it? 500 pounds.
Well thats fucking great. You wont potentially sell me enough to use on my all-of-9ft^3 garden, oh no. Your gonna sell me enough to fill a van. Good lookin out there numbnuts.

I woulda have taken him up on the offer just on principle, but I have no place to store 500 damned pounds of fertilizer. :-D

Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eastbay » Fri 13 Jan 2006, 23:38:36

Yo Spec, like 500 lbs is only 5 or 10 bags of the stuff. You can store it in your bedroom closet... or under your bed...lol. We're talking a few cubic feet. Don't try to tell us you have no room to store the stuff.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Specop_007 » Fri 13 Jan 2006, 23:48:04

eastbay wrote:Yo Spec, like 500 lbs is only 5 or 10 bags of the stuff. You can store it in your bedroom closet... or under your bed...lol. We're talking a few cubic feet. Don't try to tell us you have no room to store the stuff.

Yeah, but it was bulk and all i really needed was a couple pounds. Too much hassle really, pull the cart home, unload it, find something to put it in etc etc.

I might go get it this summer though, if they still have it.

Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Oil tanker runs aground in Alaska

Unread postby Leanan » Thu 02 Feb 2006, 14:55:38

Undetermined fluid is leaking; ship was dislodged from mooring by ice floe link
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Re: Oil tanker runs aground in Alaska

Unread postby PrairieMule » Thu 02 Feb 2006, 15:10:43

Somebody save the Oil! Oh the Humanity!
If you give a man a fish you will have kept him from hunger for a day. If you teach a man to fish he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
PrairieMule
Expert
Expert

Location: In a Nigerian compound surrounded by mighty dignataries

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion