Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Global Dimming Thread (merged)

Unread postby NTBKtrader » Sat 15 Jan 2005, 01:30:08

Oh man and this on the heals of global malstratism. We're so doomed.
NTBKtrader
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ayoob_Reloaded » Sat 15 Jan 2005, 01:30:42

Jack wrote:It does put a nail into the solar panel option, doesn't it? 8)

Not really. As soon as we get the particulate pollution under control we'll have a shitload more sunlight to convert. The problem is that global warming will completely destroy the Earth immediately.
God dammit!!! AAARGH!!!
I knew I was going to die some day, but I didn't figure my 3-year-old nephew was going to fry in his Huggies right next to me. this is BULLSHIT and yes, I'm drinking.
Ayoob_Reloaded
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby rerere » Sat 15 Jan 2005, 02:38:12

Jack wrote:It does put a nail into the solar panel option, doesn't it?

If a solar panel lacks enough photons to work, exactly HOW are plants going to grow? The lack of solar panel functionality is the least of the worries at that point.
rerere
Coal
Coal

Unread postby rerere » Sat 15 Jan 2005, 03:05:14

Ayoob_Reloaded wrote:God dammit!!! AAARGH!!! this is BULLSHIT

You have no control over other, you can only control your own actions. At some point, the Earth will be utterly destroyed. If not by the hand of man, then by an expanding sun that eventually swollows the planet.

If you do not plan your life to be living it fully at age 150 and instead plan on a 2-3 year run, if the run lasts the 150 years, you'll have a miserable time after 2-3 years. Try making the planet a better place than at least your neighbors are doing. Your actions may not be perfect, but you'll be doing better than most.

Good luck with your hangover.
rerere
Coal
Coal

Unread postby savethehumans » Sat 15 Jan 2005, 07:18:12

Having to simplify and rebuild "civilization" in the midst of global warming and climate change effects has been a FACT for quite some time, Ayoob. This "dimming" thing is just another log thrown on the fire. Of course, we didn't NEED any more logs! :roll:

Drinking will not help. And I, too, often wish to throw up my hands in despair and give up. But I can't. Doomed or not, I have to do what I can to help get this poor planet and its inhabitants through this. Even if we fail, we can at least go out knowing that we tried, knowing that the best in ourselves finally decided to come out....

(Of course, my being a Christian helps. I have faith in the ultimate outcome. Even so, bad situation or good, our Creator gave us charge of this planet, and told us to take care of it, and of each other The fact that current Powers That Be misinterpret the phrase "take care of" as a command to help destroy the planet and hasten The End Of Time does NOT absolve them--or us!--from acting on the true interpretation! Arianna Huffington just wrote and EXCELLENT column on the way the Bushies are rationalizing their policies. Look it up! It's worth your time!)
savethehumans
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby MikeB » Sat 15 Jan 2005, 07:57:25

"Of course my being a Christian helps. I have faith in the ultimate outcome." You sound like an economist. :?
MikeB
Peat
Peat

Unread postby stu » Sat 15 Jan 2005, 08:41:00

Ayoob_Reloaded wrote:I knew I was going to die some day, but I didn't figure my 3-year-old nephew was going to fry in his Huggies right next to me. this is BULLSHIT and yes, I'm drinking.

:lol: :lol: this is funny shit. But seriously though. I thought developing a pessimist mentality was part of accepting PO as part of your future.
stu
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Sat 15 Jan 2005, 08:46:13

I think developing a morbid and rather slapstick sense of humor is the key....
Ludi

Unread postby 0mar » Sat 15 Jan 2005, 13:51:00

And this is why you don't fuck with Mother Nature.

Goddamn, I really think that only people who understand long-distance problems, interactions, and consequences (IE Scientists :) ) should be the only ones in power. This article only lends that idea more support.
Joseph Stalin
"It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything. "
0mar
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby pilferage » Sat 15 Jan 2005, 21:51:37

0mar wrote:Goddamn, I really think that only people who understand long-distance problems, interactions, and consequences (IE Scientists :) ) should be the only ones in power. This article only lends that idea more support.

Here here my good man! ;) But seriously, this lends a lot of credibility to those who say climate change and dwindling energy supplies are going to be the largest threats to our (reputed) global stability. Since we've seen that we've raised the overall temperature about 1 degree link with an increase in particulate concentration and the obvious decrease in solar energy reaching the earth, this might be a small prelude to much larger problems. Especially if CO2's effective lifetime is much longer then that of your average particulate... The kyoto protocols (if passed) could make things worse very quickly! :lol:
pilferage
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby lotrfan55345 » Sun 16 Jan 2005, 01:42:22

Wow. I am in the semi-pessimistic camp and I have never spent a night sleepless or in dispare about peak oil/global warming or any other major issue.

Am I special?

/dont flame me
lotrfan55345
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby RIPSmithianEconomics » Sun 16 Jan 2005, 06:25:49

Ah hell, Northern Europeans evolved to deal with no sunlight thousands of years ago.
RIPSmithianEconomics
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tuike » Sun 16 Jan 2005, 12:16:31

RIPSmithianEconomics wrote:Ah hell, Northern Europeans evolved to deal with no sunlight thousands of years ago.

I live in northern europe, but I prefer being in sunlight. Darkness is depressing. :(
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Aaron » Sun 16 Jan 2005, 13:21:51

Kingcoal wrote:Thank god yeast doesn't need sunlight to make alcohol!
I heard the Pillsbury dough boy died recently. Apparently contracted a massive yeast infection.
The Rocky Mountain glaciers provide most of Western Canada's fresh water.

If they are melting faster, shouldn't you have more water?
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby tmazanec1 » Sun 16 Jan 2005, 15:41:46

If they are melting faster, shouldn't you have more water?
Yes, for a little while. Then they are gone and...
tmazanec1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby frankthetank » Tue 18 Jan 2005, 01:29:14

i'm with lotr.. i've been sleeping like a little baby boy lately... you can only do so much/annoy so many people, i mean inform so many people. :) It is frightening thinking about my nieces and newphews and the world that is waiting for them in the next 10 20 years...
global dimming...i'm going to pass on this one...the climate is going to change , i just hope it doesn't happen as fast as i think it will...I can just imagine that first summer, late july...cold high pressure from the bowels of the arctic comes charging the Prairies of panada freezing every crop in its path...along with a significant portion of Soybean/Cornbelt... prices double, triple, 10x...panic is wide spread... SHTF...
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby 0mar » Tue 18 Jan 2005, 03:28:09

I sleep fine too but it still troubles me that my children or grandchildren will have to wear radiation suits or some shit because we couldn't control our impulses and have an eye for the future.
Joseph Stalin
"It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything. "
0mar
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Grimnir » Tue 18 Jan 2005, 03:30:02

I think the lesson one should take away from the article is that no one really has any idea what is going on with the climate, and no matter what we do there will be unintended consequences.
Grimnir
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ayoob_Reloaded » Tue 18 Jan 2005, 03:36:59

frankthetank wrote:i'm with lotr.. i've been sleeping like a little baby boy lately... you can only do so much/annoy so many people, i mean inform so many people. :) It is frightening thinking about my nieces and newphews and the world that is waiting for them in the next 10 20 years... global dimming...i'm going to pass on this one...the climate is going to change , i just hope it doesn't happen as fast as i think it will...I can just imagine that first summer, late july...cold high pressure from the bowels of the arctic comes charging the Prairies of panada freezing every crop in its path...along with a significant portion of Soybean/Cornbelt... prices double, triple, 10x...panic is wide spread... SHTF...

Copious amounts of alcohol help. I've found bourbon to be the most restful. Vodka comes in a distant 2nd.
That may be solved by the purchase of a reflux distillation device. Supposedly, I can concoct 190 proof gin with such a machine. I will find out within a month. The results should be enormously informative for the rest of the PP crowd.
Ayoob_Reloaded
Lignite
Lignite

Just when you thought it couldnt get any worse..............

Unread postby 27010 » Tue 18 Jan 2005, 19:33:39

I was watching a BBC television programme about Global dimming this week. To cut a long story short, the pollution particles present in emissions has delayed the onset of global warming by refelecting some of the suns rays and therefore heat back into space thus cooling the planet and cancelling out the effects of global warming. As emisions are reduced (but not the greenhouse gasses) through new controls the particle pollution that caused global dimming is reduced, thus speeding up global warming, the rate of which has been severely underestimated.

This is major bad news, within 50 years many parts of the globe may be uninhabitable, certainly by 2100 major population reduction is likely, extinction is almost inevitable within the following 50-100 years. In less than 100 years we have set up the eventual destruction of the planet and the worst thing about it is that it is known about and no one will do anything to prevent it. All I can say about this is the sooner peak oil comes the better.
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate