Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Easter Island Thread (merged)

Re: THIS is the end. Peak Earth. Easter Island #2

Unread postby lorenzo » Mon 14 Jul 2008, 21:07:28

pstarr wrote:
coyote wrote:I wonder what the effect of peak oil will be on this issue. My intuition has long told me that the plunge of energy availability would launch the greatest scramble to "develop" resources the world has ever seen - forests included. But certain things have been trending slightly away from that: for one thing, the world is catching on to the ethanol/biofuel scam much more quickly than I would have thought possible. I always figured people would do anything to get their fuel, but maybe not if that fuel is competing with food. For another thing, Heineken and others are reporting that timber is doing poorly because of fuel prices. Timber is an energy-intensive industry, and the runup of fuel prices may ultimately make it more difficult for developers to even get at some of the remoter regions of the wild.

Things like these give me some slight hope. If some of the forests can survive this century, it will mean the world to our descendents.
I've said it here a hundred times. People will flock to cities and bread will be shipped in by rail.
Think Lagos, Mexico City, Cairo, Calcutta. The teeming masses will leave the countryside alone.
I am seeing it already here in Humboldt Co. Country land is getting cheaper and city land dearer.
The woods will heal.

Exactly, this is already happening in a very big way.
A leading Ghanaian food and agriculture expert blames his fellow Ghanaians for any hunger the country is suffering under.
Read this:
Ghana's 'hybrid' rice dilemma
Take a drive around rural Ghana and large swathes of the country appear green and fertile.

So you might then wonder why Ghanaians spend between $200 and $300 a year on imported rice. [...]
In Kumasi's central market there is no shortage of rice.
Women sit behind 50kg sacks of rice marked "Produce of Thailand" or "USA Grain".

Ghanaians in the cities seem hooked on the imported longer grain and prefer their aroma.
But their prices have gone up by around a third since the beginning of the year, so tastes may change and local rice could be on the rise.
There may be promises of aid and assistance for farmers, but Mr Dartey says the workforce needs a total change of attitude - an end to the mentality of waiting for help from outside to fix a problem.

[b]In some cases he says Ghanaians are hungry because they choose to be hungry.
"The whole hunger problem is an attitudinal problem.
"You plant this, you have your harvest and you have your rice to eat.
"If you refuse to plant and you stay at home, you have no rice and you have no choice than to beg."

The potential in Ghana is huge, but working on the land is going out of fashion as people stream from the villages to the cities.
To solve the food problem someone will have to convince them that they'd be better off moving in the opposite direction.[/b]
link

[Nobody in the West would dare to say that many Africans are hungry because they "choose" to be hungry. So let's leave it to the Ghanaian expert to say this.]
Everywhere in the South people are abandoning farmland, and that's what will make agriculture far more productive than many of us can imagine.

In your average sub-Saharan African country, yields for basic crops are only 25% of the world average. 40% of what's harvested gets lost due to inefficient handling and storage. All this is due to a lack of basic farming knowledge, of a lack of access to even the most basic inputs, and to a lack of very basic infrastructures. This keeps small farmers inefficient and they migrate to the cities en masse.
So you can imagine that once the country-side is left to large-scale, efficient farmers who do use basic inputs, yields will increase tremendously.

That's why there will never be a food problem in the future. The more small, inefficient farmers in the South leave the country-side, the more potential there is for a rapid increase in output.
This is what happened in Europe in the 19th and early 20th centuries: people abandon villages by the millions, leaving only a small number of big farmers to work the land with scale-advantages and much more efficiently. The result is a spectacular rise in productivity.

The same is now happening all across the developing world.
Add that urbanisation and migration to the cities slashes fertility rates from 7 to 2 (a quasi-universal trend observed both in history as well as today, from India to Congo) and population declines might be expected far faster than many imagine.

I mean, these trends are known fairly well amongst agriculture and development experts, but the public at large is stuck with this type of idiotic reports which says there's not enough land to produce enough food and fuel for a growing population.
While the reality is of course the opposite: there will be more and more land available for more and more efficient agriculture to feed and fuel a population that is rapidly decreasing its fertility rates.
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KevO » Tue 15 Jul 2008, 05:24:49

shortonoil wrote:Didn’t Simmons say we don’t have a Plan B. !

Thing is, we evidently don't have a Plan A neither. We are completely planless and we are making it all up as we go along
KevO
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Tue 15 Jul 2008, 07:33:26

I think we should cut trees, but sustainably. There are a lot of ways of capturing sun, and trees are one of them. Are you more likely to leave nice big white pines standing if you know that when they are harvested you'll make money? They will be turned into lots of nice building materials and the edgings can be used as biomass.

I think sustainable forestry is the way to keep the forest there.

Otherwise it will all be turned into switchgrass or something.

There has to be the incentive to leave the forest, or it will be stripped and turned into cropland.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby BlisteredWhippet » Tue 15 Jul 2008, 13:45:21

Fredrik wrote:BlisteredWhippet, you'd probably approve of the ideas of Pentti Linkola who I got my signatures from. I don't go as far as he does, but ethics aside, the violent anti-humanist argument is cogent.
As a philosopher Linkola can be described as a biocentric empiricist. He demands that man return to a smaller ecological niche and abandon modern technology and the pursuit of economic growth. -- Linkola is a misanthropist who blames humans for the destruction of the environment and he has promoted ideas such as genocide for saving the environment and to keep the population in control. -- He has admired Stalinist and Nazi massacres.

The quote you reprinted was from Wikipedia, an editorial standing as case in fact. You reprint his "quotes" and then scrape up something from a wiki page marked:
This article does not cite any references or sources. (Jun 2008)

If this was not bad enough, you back off from being an active proponent of the ideology that he has cultivated.

You borrow the man's wisdom, steal his ideas, pimp them in your signature, and then back off slyly, deferring responsibility for claiming these beliefs, while misquoting editorial.
You, sir, are a silly, whining turdsicle of conventional thought, a cowardly quoter, a wikipedian bottom-feeder, a knitwhit, a knave, a Bounder, a Cad, and a Foul Mouthed Babboon.

Simply and utterly, I've never heard of this guy nor endorse (unlike you) any of his writing or ideas. My views as expressed here on this board are wholly and utterly my own.
If you deign to smear my ideas with your rhetorical feces, sir, at least give me the opportunity to do likewise, and publish your heartfelt and closely-held values, so that I may digest them in the bowels of my mind and return the product to you and yours, in likewise fashion.
Thank you.
BlisteredWhippet
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby BlisteredWhippet » Tue 15 Jul 2008, 14:01:54

Revi wrote:ustainable forestry is the way to keep the forest there.

Hm. I think a small cadre of technologically advanced scientists with a biological weapon whose purpose is to wipe 95% of humanity off the planet is the way to keep the forest there, without turning it into toilet paper, tract houses, or a farm of some kind.

Perhaps it is a certain poverty of imagination you suffer from that you cannot think of any other way than sustainable forestry to keep a forest intact.
Otherwise it will all be turned into switchgrass or something.

Gasp! A two-track mind! Sustainable forestry... switchgrass... Ahh, now I see. You can kind of ping-pong these ideas between the brain hemispheres, and it actually feels like you're doing some deep thinking!
There has to be the incentive to leave the forest, or it will be stripped and turned into cropland.

The Iroquois had a good plan on creating disincentives to get farmers from converting forest acreage. Unortunately whitey had the biological agents, influenza and syphillis.
BlisteredWhippet
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Specop_007 » Tue 15 Jul 2008, 14:16:46

lorenzo wrote:In your average sub-Saharan African country, yields for basic crops are only 25% of the world average. 40% of what's harvested gets lost due to inefficient handling and storage. All this is due to a lack of basic farming knowledge, of a lack of access to even the most basic inputs, and to a lack of very basic infrastructures. This keeps small farmers inefficient and they migrate to the cities en masse.
So you can imagine that once the country-side is left to large-scale, efficient farmers who do use basic inputs, yields will increase tremendously.

And the white man who is there farming in a productive fashion gets his land stolen and kicked out.

Africa wins again. Africa will always be just the same.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the
Abyss, the Abyss gazes also into you."

Ammo at a gunfight is like bubblegum in grade school: If you havent brought enough for everyone, you're in trouble
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby darwinsdog » Tue 15 Jul 2008, 14:18:24

Syphilis was actually endemic to the Americas. Tobacco & syphilis: the Native Americans' revenge.

As for sustainable forestry, the Siberian elm reigns supreme! You can't kill it, no matter how many times you cut the same genet down. It isn't that bad firewood, if cured sufficiently. I heat my home primarily on Siberian elm wood & as much as I've cut it over the years, elm biomass on my property has increased over time. It's main drawback is that it's a bitch to split, but that's what sons are for!
darwinsdog
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dbruning » Tue 15 Jul 2008, 16:31:37

the scenario I refer to - made by the Cornucopian Institute - is now the official backbone of the FAO's projection models on food, fiber, fodder and fuel potential.

There, fixed that for you.
dbruning
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Revi » Tue 15 Jul 2008, 21:34:19

BlisteredWhippet wrote:[Perhaps it is a certain poverty of imagination you suffer from that you cannot think of any other way than sustainable forestry to keep a forest intact.
Gasp! A two-track mind! Sustainable forestry... switchgrass... Ahh, now I see. You can kind of ping-pong these ideas between the brain hemispheres, and it actually feels like you're doing some deep thinking!

The Iroquois had a good plan on creating disincentives to get farmers from converting forest acreage. Unortunately whitey had the biological agents, influenza and syphillis.

Wow, I guess I am the new punching bag. Try owning a bunch of forest land without cutting it. A tax bill will come every year. You will eventually tire of it and try to get some nature conservancy to take it over, or sell it.

I can't afford to have my land be a park, but maybe you have the resources to do it.

Sustainable forestry is going to be more popular in the future. The people who own the forest will want to harvest food, fuel and fibre from it. We do, and I was just up looking at the trees. They are really big, and growing. The maples are growing big crowns into the holes left from the last timber harvest. We cut some of the dead popple and ash to feed the evaporator when it's maple syrup time. Some goes to keep the home fires burning as well.

It's a sustainable system.

http://www.msad54.org/sahs/appliedarts/ ... /index.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Homesteader » Tue 15 Jul 2008, 21:52:12

Revi,

Congrats on a good sound forestry plan.

I knew a guy in Dover-Foxcroft who put 3 kids through college by selective cutting his 500 acres. Driving by it or walking down the woods roads it was hard to tell that it had been cut at all. He did his own cutting and skidder work.
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences…"
Sir Winston Churchill

Beliefs are what people fall back on when the facts make them uncomfortable.
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby shortonoil » Tue 15 Jul 2008, 22:06:56

Revi said:

Wow, I guess I am the new punching bag. Try owning a bunch of forest land without cutting it. A tax bill will come every year. You will eventually tire of it and try to get some nature conservancy to take it over, or sell it.

My family has owned a fairly good size chunk of property for over a hundred years. It has been selectively cut and replanted every 20 years over that entire period. It is in beautiful condition; having diseased trees cut out regularly and scrub removed when needed keeps the land, plants and wildlife healthy.

Take care of the forest and it will take care of you; otherwise some idiot will build a development there!
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby whereagles » Wed 16 Jul 2008, 17:53:20

DoomWarrior wrote:Humans are destined to focus on the PRESENT, and DAMN THE FUTURE.

Well, speak for yourself :p I usually get told off for thinking TOO FAR AHEAD :)
whereagles
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Fredrik » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 06:40:18

BlisteredWhippet wrote:The quote you reprinted was from Wikipedia, an editorial standing as case in fact. You reprint his "quotes" and then scrape up something from a wiki page marked:
This article does not cite any references or sources. (Jun 2008)

If this was not bad enough, you back off from being an active proponent of the ideology that he has cultivated.

You borrow the man's wisdom, steal his ideas, pimp them in your signature, and then back off slyly, deferring responsibility for claiming these beliefs, while misquoting editorial.
You, sir, are a silly, whining turdsicle of conventional thought, a cowardly quoter, a wikipedian bottom-feeder, a knitwhit, a knave, a Bounder, a Cad, and a Foul Mouthed Babboon.

Simply and utterly, I've never heard of this guy nor endorse (unlike you) any of his writing or ideas. My views as expressed here on this board are wholly and utterly my own.
If you deign to smear my ideas with your rhetorical feces, sir, at least give me the opportunity to do likewise, and publish your heartfelt and closely-held values, so that I may digest them in the bowels of my mind and return the product to you and yours, in likewise fashion.
Thank you.

LOL! I apologize for daring to quote someone I don't agree with 100%. (But I do agree with the ideas in my signature.) I guess I was already dishonest when I had some Kunstler quotes in my sig although I've never been absolutely sure that all of his post-PO visions will become true. I also happen to know, from other media, that the content of the Wikipedia quote is correct.

I also didn't claim you endorse Linkola's ideas, but only hypothetically suggested you might. At least the general misanthropist attitude. Not that it matters to me in the end.
"Only scarcity and effort make life worth living."
"A fundamental, devastating error is to set up a political system based on [individual] desires." -Pentti Linkola
Fredrik
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby BlisteredWhippet » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 14:52:44

Its slightly disturbing that my prognostications are congruent with the self-evaluations of mental patients:

I didn't have any friends, any lovers, and very little contact with my family between 1980 and 1990. My parents had moved to the States while I was in Victoria and I never told anyone what was happening. The rooming house where I lived was invaded by cockroaches and I just lived with them, never even realizing that Diazinon will eliminate cockroaches very quickly. I had a strong sense of mission to help humanity instead of myself and in my poverty I believed the cause of suffering in the world was overpopulation. My solution was to hybridize the AIDS virus with the common cold and eliminate 3 - 4 billion people.

Thats basically me, minus the isolation, cockroaches, being Canadian, and Schizophrenia.
BlisteredWhippet
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Is Easter Island analogous to the present global situation?

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 04:54:51

The people on Easter Island had a population overshoot which depleted their island of the natural resources which they depended on for survival (fish, trees, birds, dolphins, etc). Then Easter Island's human population experienced a die off which reduced their population to only 1/4 to 1/10 of their peak population.

Is the whole world in a similar situation as Easter Island? Aren't we also overpopulating this planet and depleting it of all of its natural resources? I believe we will experience a similar die-off as the people on Easter Island did, except this time it will happen on a global scale. I believe once we don't have enough of any essential natural resource, our population will crash. I believe what happened on Easter Island will happen to the entire world's population, because there is simply too many people consuming way too much stuff, way too quickly in an economy that only knows how to grow.

We will eventually deplete the Earth of all of its essential natural resources, reducing the carrying capacity of the Earth to only a fraction of what it was before we destroyed the environment we depend on for survival. Is there anything we can do to prevent the human population of the world from experiencing a massive die off like what happened on Easter Island? Or are we destined to experience the same fate as the people on Easter Island did when they depleted their island of the essential natural resources they depended on for survival?
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Is Easter Island analogous to the present global situati

Unread postby MD » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 07:54:32

It's more complex than that, but the base analogy is still relevant.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 09:07:59

We don't actually know much about what happened on Easter Island. We know the place was settled by people from South America, because the language has commonality and the islanders cultivated sweet potatoes, a South American plant that had to have been deliberately carried there in boats, as the potatoes cannot survive in saltwater. We know that the island was covered with large trees and was deforested in the building of canoes and for firewood. We know they had open warfare where they ate each other as a means to power, wars caused the death of at least half of the population and that the European diseases introduced by explorers killed far more people than that, completing the destruction of their society. We know that they did not "regress" following the population crash, they still had their language and culture and all the tech they ever had - basic agriculture and wooden boats.

Thus it is only speculation whether there are any parallels with wider ecologies outside the island. My wife comes from Nantucket, also an island formerly covered with dense mature forest, and similar in size and population with Easter Island. Nantucket islanders also destroyed their forest, for shipbuilding and firewood. In fact the differences between the Nantucket of the 1600's and today can be understood by reading Moby Dick. Nantucket enjoyed a brief prosperity as the main supplier of whale oil, used for lighting before kerosene replaced it. But I have not heard anybody suggesting that there are parallels between the ecology of Nantucket and any greater area.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 09:32:24

DesuMaiden wrote:The people on Easter Island had a population overshoot which depleted their island of the natural resources which they depended on for survival (fish, trees, birds, dolphins, etc). Then Easter Island's human population experienced a die off which reduced their population to only 1/4 to 1/10 of their peak population.

Is the whole world in a similar situation as Easter Island? Aren't we also overpopulating this planet and depleting it of all of its natural resources? I believe we will experience a similar die-off as the people on Easter Island did, except this time it will happen on a global scale. I believe once we don't have enough of any essential natural resource, our population will crash. I believe what happened on Easter Island will happen to the entire world's population, because there is simply too many people consuming way too much stuff, way too quickly in an economy that only knows how to grow.

We will eventually deplete the Earth of all of its essential natural resources, reducing the carrying capacity of the Earth to only a fraction of what it was before we destroyed the environment we depend on for survival. Is there anything we can do to prevent the human population of the world from experiencing a massive die off like what happened on Easter Island? Or are we destined to experience the same fate as the people on Easter Island did when they depleted their island of the essential natural resources they depended on for survival?

The prominent theories about Easter Island are erroneous in my opinion. I do not wish to repeat myself so please read this thread, it is not too long.
easter-island-mysteries-of-a-lost-world-t70128.html
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby noobtube » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 14:36:51

Why is it every time "the Waste" (I mean "the West") promotes some fable/myth/script about their superiority and entitlement, in the end, it is always exposed as pure BS?

I guess the American government needs nonsense to convince the American degenerates of their "right" to spread freedom, and Democracy, and liberty to those heathens "over there", who don't worship baby Jesus.
noobtube
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 20 Nov 2014, 15:42:12

noobtube wrote:Why is it every time "the Waste" (I mean "the West") promotes some fable/myth/script about their superiority and entitlement, in the end, it is always exposed as pure BS?

I guess the American government needs nonsense to convince the American degenerates of their "right" to spread freedom, and Democracy, and liberty to those heathens "over there", who don't worship baby Jesus.

Note that one man, appointed Governor of that island by the (European) Spanish Government, destroyed native agriculture with his sheep herd and his selfish policies. Note that YOU have a blatant anti-USA bias, hanging out for all to see. "American" in the actual true definition includes Chile, the current country that owns the island, because Chile is part of South America, while no country in North America has ever had any control over Easter Island. But Chile is in fact 61% Catholic and 17% Protestant, so at least 3/4ths of that country do acknowledge Jesus, although the person with the most to say about how they impose religion on anyone else is the (European) Catholic Pope in Vatican City.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate