Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Ammonia Fuel/Energy Storage Thread

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Unread postby EnergySpin » Tue 09 Aug 2005, 09:05:54

Devil wrote:
This rationing would a) help spin out remaining stocks, b) reduce pollution and negative health effects, c) ensure a healthier lifestyle, d) reduce climate change effects, e) force gas-guzzlers off the road, f) make people think, g) reduce road accidents, h) improve the US and Oz public image. OK, there may have to be special dispensations, e.g., for handicapped persons, for regulated company car use (no use of company-owned vehicles for any private use, not even commuting) etc.

Actually this is more likely to work in a peaceful manner. Hopefully reason will prevail. But I'm sure will propose an expedition to Saturn's moons to harvest hydrocarbons or ammonia :roll:
"Nuclear power has long been to the Left what embryonic-stem-cell research is to the Right--irredeemably wrong and a signifier of moral weakness."Esquire Magazine,12/05
The genetic code is commaless and so are my posts.
EnergySpin
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: The Ammonia Economy - An easier alternative to H2?

Unread postby ammonia-guy » Tue 16 Aug 2005, 20:25:56

Hi Folks, EnergySpin in particular for starting this off.

I'm a total newcomer to these internet discussion forums, but I joined this one just to be able to comment on your discussion.

First, the topic is absolutely relevant, important, and timely. I work at a DOE national lab (yes, one of those crazy researchers) and I "discovered" ammonia as a direct fuel and/or hydrogen carrier about a year ago. Our lab was working with DOE HQ on ways to get hydrogen (pressurized gas or LH) from point A to point B safely, efficiently, and inexpensively. Of course, the answer is "good luck", with the fatal flaw being the very low gravimetric energy density of hydrogen, coupled with the energy penalty from having liquify the hydrogen or to compress the hydrogen to 5,000 to 10,000 psi for automotive use. Bossell and Eliasson (Europeans) cover this problem in significant detail in their report. In one case, they estimate that an 18-wheel tanker truck carrying pressurized hydrogen will only be able to deliver to a fueling station the equivalent of 300 to 400 gallons of gasoline. For DOE's model fueling station (1500 kg hydrogen per day), that would take 4-5 tanker trucks a day. It didn't take me long to figure out that ammonia as a carrier is a much simpler and more elegant answer.

So, last October I was attending the meeting in Iowa that ESpin mentions (Norm Olson and Ted Hollinger). Much momentum for ammonia as a direct fuel or hydrogen carrier came out of that meeting. There was a group of ammonia activists formed from the participants of that meeting and the group has been working together every since, adding numerous ammonia "believers" along the way. We're up to nearly 100 engineers, scientists, analysts, and industrialists at this point. We're planning an Ammonia Fuel II meeting in Chicago for this coming October.

I'm going to end this here and then send out a second message with some direct comments in response to points raised by other contributors. Since this is my first time, I don't want to lose what I've already written.
ammonia-guy
Wood
Wood

Unread postby ammonia-guy » Tue 16 Aug 2005, 21:53:21

I'm back. It seems to have worked.

To ESpin--Congratulations, you've pretty much got it all right. I commend you, being an MD and all :) .

Before I forget, if anyone would like to attend the October ammonia meeting, let me know (I'm not sure how to do that, exchange emails or what, but you all probably do).

Some comments on your comments:

* Peter Feibelman is part of our Ammonia Network, along with 3 or 4 other Sandia Laboratory staffers.

* I'm surprised you didn't mention a big advantage of ammonia--no stinking carbon. In fact oxidation of ammonia in a fuel cell (first done in 1968) or in an ICE can be made virtually emission free, no greenhouse gases and essentially no NOx. It's not quite true that oxidation of ammonia produces only nitrogen and water. That is true if pure oxygen is used. But autos will be using plain old air. It's been shown many times that NOx production is a fraction of that with gasoline, but still there.

* von Blarigan's (Sandia) engine as far as I know has never been operated with ammonia. On the other hand ammonia has been burned in numerous ICEs dating back to Norsk Hydro in 1933. My colleague Ted Hollinger of the Hydrogen Engine Center in Iowa told me a couple days ago that he will run one of his engines on ammonia before the October meeting and be able to discuss the results.

* OTEC is not dead, just sleeping.

* DOE HQ (Hydrogen Initiative Office) are just now establishing their position on ammonia as a hydrogen carrier. One case might be to deliver liquid ammonia to a fueling station where it will be cracked and the hydrogen pressurized for feeding to PEM fuel cell autos. Another suggestion (and one that DOE has not endorsed) is that ammonia might be carried on board an auto and cracked to hydrogen on its way to the fuel cell.

* Yes, ammonia is toxic, but so is gasoline fumes, and can you imagine driving around with a high pressure hydrogen gas tank? In the US midwest, there has been decades of experience handling ammonia. Iowa alone puts 1 billion pounds of liquid ammonia into the soil a year. The US consumes 15 million tons of ammonia a year (mostly as fertilizer, essentially zero as a fuel) and every liter of that ammonia is transferred at least two times. Besides, the water solubility of ammonia gives you the safeguard you need. A fog of water will capture a cloud of ammonia and carry it to the ground.

* I also don't know where you got the idea that ammonia has been produced by the Haber-Bosch process using some sort of electrolysis. Low temperature usually means inefficient. I'm open to education, but as far as I know it's always been N2 from the air and H2 from some cracked (steam reformed) fossil fuel. Primarily natual gas. Today, worldwide the majority of ammonia is produced from natural gas, with coal in 2nd place, largely because of China and India. Because 90% of the cost of ammonia is the cost of the natural gas, the US is moving toward coal to produce ammonia using clean coal technology. Cheap natural gas prices offshore have led to the US producing only half of the ammonia it consumes, and importing the rest. About a third of the US ammonia production capacity is currently demobilized. The wind (or hydro, or solar, or nuclear) to elecrolysis to hydrogen to ammonia (for transport) is extremely viable (a main topic at the October meeting), but nothing operating at this point.

To Caoimhan--Ammonia is the world's second best solvent after water, particularly for organics. So, ammonia could certainly be mixed with ethanol, etc. But, I don't know why you'd want to. A key idea for ammonia is that it is carbon free (provided the central production facility is sequestering its carbon). If you can produce ethanol or methanol (e.g. biomass), you can produce ammonia. I'm a fan of keeping carbonaceous fuels off of vehicles altogether.

To strider3700--I think the meth worry is a red herring. I've looked at Iowa data for "emergency releases" of ammonia and for sure the frequency of releases caused by meth manufacturers has been on the rise. I won't give you the details, but it would be straightforward to "poison" the ammonia so it couldn't be used safely to produce meth.

To Devil--I like your questions, but you do come off sounding a bit like pessimist. The Haber-Bosch process for producing ammonia has been one of the success stories of the 20th century. Today, conversion of natural gas to ammonia is in the order of 80 percent or more. Advanced catalysts could even improve that, if there were an economic driver. Ammonia is sold as a commodity, even with natural gas being the feedstock. Current prices are in the vicinity of $350 per ton, which gives 180kg of hydrogen (equivalent to a gallon of gasoline) so ammonia energy is less than $2 per gallon compared to gasoline.

* I've kinda already answered your comment about NOx. If you go to terraindustries.com and select NOx treatment, you'll see that the chemical needed to treat NOx is urea (1 urea gives 2 ammonias). So, NOx treatment would be already "on-board".

* Your comment about interaction with humidity in the airis simply not true. Ammonia in water solution is a weak base, pH 10 or so. Because of the remarkable chemical properties of ammonia, only a tiny, tiny amount of ionization. 99.99 or more percent of the ammonia exists in water as NH3 gas, not as the strong base NH4OH. You can dissolve 530 g of ammonia in 1 liter of water at room temperature, and only a tiny bit of that ammonia ionizes. The hygroscopic nature is a good thing, it can grab fugitive ammonia and trap it.

* That's not to say we should be cavalier with ammonia. Ammonia can kill. Good news is that you can smell it long before it's a hazard. I hear that farm workers in California have to wear gas masks because of the ammonia produced from animal wastes.

To Oily Bill--Why isn't it being pursued? Good question. I wish I could answer it. Ammonia as a fuel has surfaced every 10 to 20 years since 1933. I believe it is usually shouted down because of the toxicity, we call it the "grandma will die fueling her car" attitude. Also, remember that whenever the US gets serious about alternate fuels, oil supply pressures diminish. Go figure.

Let's keep talking, we're on to something. Ammonia-guy
ammonia-guy
Wood
Wood

Unread postby hotsacks » Tue 16 Aug 2005, 22:24:07

Welcome to the board AG and thanks for the first hand information.
I have two immediate questions:
1. Can you add any more detail to ammonia use in ICEs? What,for instance,kind of modifications need doing to convert from gas?
2. What kind of attention is the DOE giving your group's research. In other words,do you expect your funding to continue?
hotsacks
Coal
Coal

Unread postby eric_b » Tue 16 Aug 2005, 22:30:57

ammonia-guy:

Thanks for sharing! Welcome to the PO forums too.

Must say I was kind of blindsided by the thought of using ammonia as fuel,
but now that I look at it I can see the advantages. Good old NH3. If what
you say is true it looks like it has the potential to be a great way to store
hydrogen.

It seems you're advocating simply burning it in a modified ICE engine.
As far as emissions go the advantages are obvious - no CO2 - just
N2 and H20 ?? Probably just burning it straight up is the way to go. Less
complexity than 'cracking' the ammonia molecule before feeding the hydrogen
to a fuel cell.

The obvious question then becomes how to go about creating the ammonia
in the first place. Does the H-B process using nat. gas produce any CO2
emissions? Perhaps the ideal way to make the ammonia would be to have
nuke plants supply the steam, and then breakdown coal to get the
hydrogen (of course the air supplies the nitrogen). If the entire ammonia
cycle could be developed as not to produce CO2 that would definitely
help.

It's obvious that elemental hydrogen has many problems - namely
energy density and safety. Ammonia neatly side steps these issues.

Sounds promising.

Edit: I do think that (assuming nuke power is used to make ammonia)
it may be more efficient to use the electricity from the nuke plant in
battery operated vehicles - which apparently (due to improvements in
battery technology) are now quite viable. Still I can see ammonia being
useful for specialized stuff (like heavy equipment) where there's no
substitute for an ICE engine. It would at least eliminate CO2 emissions
which I view as a serious problem.
eric_b
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby EnergySpin » Tue 16 Aug 2005, 23:22:07

ammonia-guy wrote:I'm back. It seems to have worked.

To ESpin--Congratulations, you've pretty much got it all right. I commend you, being an MD and all :) .

Thank you ; I'm an MD PhD (statistical bioinformatics) :-D
Before I forget, if anyone would like to attend the October ammonia meeting, let me know (I'm not sure how to do that, exchange emails or what, but you all probably do).

Will be in Zoorope working on a EU grant (Dr ES does his basic research in Europe, Clinical Research/Work in the US); no chance to come but I would appreciate receiving the proceedings, presentations.

* I'm surprised you didn't mention a big advantage of ammonia--no stinking carbon.

I'm pretty sure I did in a different thread :
n any case for what is worth ... it is technically feasible to avoid the carbo cycle

* von Blarigan's (Sandia) engine as far as I know has never been operated with ammonia. On the other hand ammonia has been burned in numerous ICEs dating back to Norsk Hydro in 1933. My colleague Ted Hollinger of the Hydrogen Engine Center in Iowa told me a couple days ago that he will run one of his engines on ammonia before the October meeting and be able to discuss the results.

Why? Seemed like a good design. In the Iowa conference there was a presentation about a Ford 4.9 ICE that was converted to run on ammonia.
Keep us posted on the resutls !!!
* OTEC is not dead, just sleeping.

This drives me nuts .... OTEC should have been given a chance but lets do the environmental modelling first. My reservations about lardscale application of OTEC plantships were covered here

* DOE HQ (Hydrogen Initiative Office) are just now establishing their position on ammonia as a hydrogen carrier. One case might be to deliver liquid ammonia to a fueling station where it will be cracked and the hydrogen pressurized for feeding to PEM fuel cell autos.

Sigh ... unless a drastic breaktrhough in metal hydride storage comes about, I think this is a waste of money/time/effort. The storage will always be too heavy for practical applications
Another suggestion (and one that DOE has not endorsed) is that ammonia might be carried on board an auto and cracked to hydrogen on its way to the fuel cell.

This one might be much easier to implement as Feibelman said. On the other hand NH3 might be easier to load on a metal substrate. Simple stereochemistry would suggest so. The two Hydrogens fit in the metal substrate, the metal atoms coordinate with the nitrogen atom ... but one could try the experiment (or run the molecular/QD simulation) to see if it works. If it does not I should not be held responsible. If it does an acknowledgement and some NSF/NIH supercomputing time for my biomolecular simulations would be nice :roll:

* Yes, ammonia is toxic, but so is gasoline fumes, and can you imagine driving around with a high pressure hydrogen gas tank? In the US midwest, there has been decades of experience handling ammonia. Iowa alone puts 1 billion pounds of liquid ammonia into the soil a year. The US consumes 15 million tons of ammonia a year (mostly as fertilizer, essentially zero as a fuel) and every liter of that ammonia is transferred at least two times. Besides, the water solubility of ammonia gives you the safeguard you need. A fog of water will capture a cloud of ammonia and carry it to the ground.

It is a trade-off ... and we are not talking about the perfect fuel here, but just a temporarizing measure to ensure availability of a practical fuel till we switch things around (fewer cars, rational urban development, rail transport). It might be disastrous to convert every single vehicle - the idea is to kill the cars. IMHO, Ford and GM should have created all electric models/hybrids years ago. Their incompetence and our consumerist stupidity have equally contributed to this mess.

* I also don't know where you got the idea that ammonia has been produced by the Haber-Bosch process using some sort of electrolysis. Low temperature usually means inefficient....The wind (or hydro, or solar, or nuclear) to elecrolysis to hydrogen to ammonia (for transport) is extremely viable (a main topic at the October meeting), but nothing operating at this point.

Norsk Hydro used to produce NH3 with cheap hydro till the late 80s.
It might be a good idea to contact them to find out the energetics of NH3 synthesis because they were doing it for a long time. They were not using an arc (that method died a long time ago If'm not mistaken), but pure H2O electrolysis to obtain hydrogen which was fed directly to the Haber reaction (I might be wrong again, but the environmental profile of the electrolysis ammonia plants that I posted here suggests similar albeit simpler catalysts

What we call Haber process is a three step process which was not the one that gave him the Nobel prize in 1918. It was the last step (the one called Haber reaction i.e. the high temperature combination of nitrogen and hydrogen which did. I covered the future (which is going to be like the past) of fertilizers in another thread.
Again I would appreciate any feedback from Norsk Hydro about their NH3 synthesis method should you contact them. I'm thinking of writing a paper on applications in science , medicine , technology where the future lies in the re-appraisal of old methods in a new context. Fertilizers would be a very interesting example (along with Bayesian statistics, Field programmable analog devices and thalidomide :-D)
Low temperature synthesis of ammonia is an experimental method.
A few recent articles (they must have been in the original thread .. but maybe I was hallucinating)
Article 1
Article 2
Article 3
The Greek group seems to be on to something ... no cyclopentane involved and the method seems to be theoretically justified on the basis of the DFT calcs done by the Dannish group on the second paper. Again ... your best bet would be Norsk Hydro to get historical performance data and then these two papers that provide the ΔE of the electrochemistry reactions to see which pathway is more efficient.
For the record ... I consider using natural gas a stupid way to generate ammonia. We should be moving away of hydrocarbons as fast as possible.
In any case we will soon face a NG shortage ... turning CH4 to ammonia for hydrogen (which one of my key objections to the hydrogen programs around the globe) is just a hydrocarbon energy policy in disguise. Carbon sequestration is an immature research area. Even using the Clean Fuel technology we end up capturing 40% of the carbon anyway.
We should have phased out hydrocarbons yesterday
A hydrocarbon based hydrogen program DOES not advance energy security and certainly will contribute to global warming (my major concern).

* That's not to say we should be cavalier with ammonia. Ammonia can kill. Good news is that you can smell it long before it's a hazard. I hear that farm workers in California have to wear gas masks because of the ammonia produced from animal wastes.

It smells nasty ... some of the old nucleic acid extraction protocols used ammonia and urea ... nasty stuff.

Keep us informed ... I'd like technical info but you do not have to post it here if you think it will be too technical. PM me and I will respond.
Last edited by EnergySpin on Tue 16 Aug 2005, 23:38:44, edited 1 time in total.
"Nuclear power has long been to the Left what embryonic-stem-cell research is to the Right--irredeemably wrong and a signifier of moral weakness."Esquire Magazine,12/05
EnergySpin
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JudoCow09 » Tue 16 Aug 2005, 23:35:24

I have to admit. This sounds extremely promising. Just 1 questions. Where do you get the hydrogen? I thought that was the problem with some other hydrogen ideas. There's also the matter of convincing the world to switch to something, but before that can happen, it has to not only be proven, but tested and showed it could be implemented in a real enviroment. I think. :-D
JudoCow09
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby EnergySpin » Wed 17 Aug 2005, 00:00:33

JudoCow09 wrote:I have to admit. This sounds extremely promising. Just 1 questions. Where do you get the hydrogen? I thought that was the problem with some other hydrogen ideas. There's also the matter of convincing the world to switch to something, but before that can happen, it has to not only be proven, but tested and showed it could be implemented in a real enviroment. I think. :-D

Ammonia is a hydrogen carrier but one that is easily stored . One still needs to use electricity but storage might be easier .... Read the initial threads ... people have used NH3 in ICEs and fuel cells. In any case ... debate still continues (ie. NH3 has toxicity problems etc). By deifinition NH3 is a "fix" not a solution; a temporarizing measure before we do away with cars completely
EnergySpin
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JudoCow09 » Wed 17 Aug 2005, 00:03:48

But where do you get the Hydrogen itself? Am I missing something?
JudoCow09
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby EnergySpin » Wed 17 Aug 2005, 00:06:38

JudoCow09 wrote:But where do you get the Hydrogen itself? Am I missing something?

Water electrolysis ... you spend more energy than you get back. Hydrogen (molecular, metal hydride, liquid hydride) is an energy carrier not an energy source
EnergySpin
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby eric_b » Wed 17 Aug 2005, 08:38:37

EnergySpin wrote:
JudoCow09 wrote:But where do you get the Hydrogen itself? Am I missing something?

Water electrolysis ... you spend more energy than you get back. Hydrogen (molecular, metal hydride, liquid hydride) is an energy carrier not an energy source

Yeah, ammonia just has the potential to be an energy carrier/battery.
Still need energy to make it in the first place. Probably nukes.

EnergySpin: Maybe if I'd taken the time to read your original post I would
have seen they were (are) synthesing ammonia using just water and air (N2).
Seems pretty elegant but electrolysis takes a lot of energy so I wonder how
efficient it is overall.
eric_b
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby EnergySpin » Wed 17 Aug 2005, 08:49:22

eric_b wrote:
EnergySpin wrote:

Yeah, ammonia just has the potential to be an energy carrier/battery.
Still need energy to make it in the first place. Probably nukes.

EnergySpin: Maybe if I'd taken the time to read your original post I would
have seen they were (are) synthesing ammonia using just water and air (N2).
Seems pretty elegant but electrolysis takes a lot of energy so I wonder how
efficient it is overall.

This is why it is key to get the numbers from players (Norsk Hydro) who were still using electricity for ammonia synthesis. A back-of-the-envelope calculation (using figures from the OTEC program) would suggest that the EROEI for the process (read: NH3 output of the chemical plant) is 62%. But if you factor in the different requirements for storage , transport and the losses of hydrogen through containers, ammonia becomes the winner.
But as I said ... the actual data from industry are needed.
EnergySpin
EnergySpin
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ammonia-guy » Wed 17 Aug 2005, 11:25:01

All--Thanks for the warm welcome :!:

A question before I respond to the various comments...How does/can a group like this (advocacy group?) make something happen? It's one thing to inform each other about issues, it's another to foster successful implementation. Contact congressional representatives? Take out ads in the newspaper? Sit ins (for those old enough to remember)? March on Washington DC?.....

To hotsacks--

1. The mods to an ICE to run on ammonia are not extensive. Increase compression ratio to 12-15 to 1. Run a little leaner than on gasoline. Carbuerators (sp?) have been used, but Ted Hollinger will be using fuel injection. The ammonia will come from the supply tank as a gas at a little over on atm pressure. No fuel pump needed. One of the challenges to be overcome is unburnt ammonia in the exhaust. Ron Graves of ORNL said with their AMC Gremlin in 1974 that you didn't want to be standing too close when the engine was just starting up.

2. An individual in the Ammonia Network wrote a white paper on technoeconomics of ammonia delivery of hydrogen to a fueling station for DOE, and a second white paper was written by a couple other folks in the network (neither from DOE or national labs) discussing automotive on-board storage of hydrogen in the form of ammonia. I believe both papers have influenced DOE thinking, and DOE is well aware of past ammonia research and the Ammonia Network activities, but DOE is still deciding if/how to factor ammonia as a hydrogen carrier into their hydrogen program. To my knowledge, DOE has not shown any interest so far in ammonia as a direct fuel.

AG
ammonia-guy
Wood
Wood

Unread postby EnergySpin » Wed 17 Aug 2005, 11:32:15

ammonia-guy wrote:How does/can a group like this (advocacy group?) make something happen? It's one thing to inform each other about issues, it's another to foster successful implementation. Contact congressional representatives? Take out ads in the newspaper? Sit ins (for those old enough to remember)? March on Washington DC?.....

AG

pO.COM is not an advocacy group (unfortunately). People have tried to infrom friends relatives and were shot down. Now the majority of people fantasize about the dieoff and the collapse of civilization from their bunkers :-D
The newspapers is a waste of time (for now); they are sleepwalking.
Sit ins and march to washington DC or Brussels or Tokyo seem more appropriate methods!
Last edited by EnergySpin on Wed 17 Aug 2005, 11:43:00, edited 1 time in total.
EnergySpin
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby hotsacks » Wed 17 Aug 2005, 11:35:57

To my mind,yours is the best kind of advocacy going,ground floor information. Your workplace would also be a good place for advocacy (eggshell time!).
I can see the banners now: HOLLINGER RACING !!!
These are great posts you're making. Keep them coming.
hotsacks
Coal
Coal

Unread postby JudoCow09 » Wed 17 Aug 2005, 11:38:30

Yeah. If one overweight man can get his own website while he walks from California to somewhere east and an article on cnet, we can surely get some good publicity too.
JudoCow09
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ammonia-guy » Wed 17 Aug 2005, 11:51:51

To eric_b--

* Yes, ammonia is a great hydrogen storage chemical. 18% hydrogen by weight. A liter of liquid ammonia contains 50 percent more hydrogen than liquid hydrogen. (Apoligies for the blatant underscores.)

Some of you may know that the NASA/DoD rocket plane, the X-15, was powered by ammonia and liquid oxygen. The rocket motor was built by Thiokol and took the plane to Mach 3+ in 80 seconds.

* I don't want to be viewed by everyone as strictly an ammonia/ICE proponent. I actually think ammonia/FC has great potential down the road, and should offer higher efficiency than ICE. It's just that fuel cells are not at a commerical stage at present, and might take decades. (I'm told that the demonstration fuel cell cars you see built by Honda and others cost nearly a million dollars.) So, ICEs offer us a clean, powerful near-term alternative, which can play effectively as a transition to future hydrogen(ammonia) fuel cell economy. And besides, the hot rodders among us will always want to have 120 octane fuel (ammonia) burning in their cylinders.

* I agree that a CO2 free production method for ammonia is a great goal, and that's where wind, solar, hydro and nuclear come in. On the other hand, I believe that in our lifetimes we'll never see a large fraction of ammonia production by these methods. Coal appears to be where the fertilizer ammonia industry is going. Good news is that with modern clean-coal technologies and gasifiers, the carbon will be trapped, not just as a waste product but in value added products such as F-T diesel. You also might find some of the carbon in your carbonated beverage in the future.

On the other hand, some of my colleages in the network and I are working the wind, hyro and nuclear production angles, as well as for Stirling engine and thermoelectric energy conversion techniques. There will be a meeting on hydro to hydrogen/ammonia next June in Portland, OR, and we have developers in the network who want to build wind to ammonia farms today.

* Yes, nuc to battery has been around for a long time, but has never progressed far because storage batteries are heavy. Hence fuel cells.

Thanks. AG
ammonia-guy
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Caoimhan » Wed 17 Aug 2005, 12:05:21

I know that ammonia is a common chemical produced by biological reactions. It's often found in compost heaps. I wonder if there might be a biological means of mass-producing ammonia, rather than the high-temp/high-pressure method. Maybe bacterial strains can be developed that will produce ammonia at a rapid rate.
Caoimhan
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby EnergySpin » Wed 17 Aug 2005, 12:11:44

Caoimhan wrote:I know that ammonia is a common chemical produced by biological reactions. It's often found in compost heaps. I wonder if there might be a biological means of mass-producing ammonia, rather than the high-temp/high-pressure method. Maybe bacterial strains can be developed that will produce ammonia at a rapid rate.

Genetic engineering of nitrogenase OR enhancing symbiotic relationships in the soil (it actually makes more sense to do this, than synthesise ammonia and ship it across the globe).
The first attempt has been one of the holly grails of GM in the agriculture sector since the late 70s. The other is an emerging goal.
EnergySpin
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ammonia-guy » Wed 17 Aug 2005, 12:12:18

To EnergySpin--

* Von Blarigan's design is sound, I believe. From what I hear though, Peter has never been able to get funding to pursue it further.

Ted Hollinger's talk last year (I'll supply the link in a future post) was mostly about his 4.9L 6-cyl Ford truck engine running on hydrogen gas. Ted was grumbling a bit about how expensive high pressure hyrogen storage tanks were, as well. At that time, Ted was thinking about his engines running on hydrogen from an ammonia reformer. It was at that meeting that I put a buzz in Ted's ear about burning ammonia directly. That helps solve the storage problem as well. At any rate, Ted will be running an engine on ammonia fairly soon. I'm looking forward to hearing about it. By, the way, Ted Hollinger is indeed an old hot rodder, and he worked at Ford for years.

* The on-board ammonia storage/reformer option has some problems. Several months back DOE, with input from numerous automotive and other parties, made an official "no-go" decision on on-board reforming. I would think that someone in industry would have to take a very strong stand on ammonia as an automotive fuel to have that decision re-considered.

* Thanks for the information on Norsk Hydro. They are invited to our meeting in October, along with two or three other electrolyzer companies.

* What does "PM" mean?

AG
ammonia-guy
Wood
Wood

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology