Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Malaysia Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Calling All Malaysian Peakniks

Unread postby cicaklaut » Sun 20 Aug 2006, 11:34:51

To all Malaysians,

Please register yourselves at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/puncakminyak

If someone else have already started a similar group, please let me know.
"Ignorance is bliss" -But illusions soon fade-
cicaklaut
Wood
Wood

Malaysia Faces Bankruptcy If Oil Subsidy Continued

Unread postby roccman » Sun 15 Jun 2008, 00:35:35

"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Malaysia Faces Bankruptcy If Oil Subsidy Continued

Unread postby misterno » Sun 15 Jun 2008, 08:43:48

1 dollar buys you RM 3.28

and gasoline sells for RM 2.70/liter in Malaysia

let's do the math

$/gal = 2.7/3.28*3.785 = $3.11/gal

Same gasoline can be purchased at international markets at $3.48/gal as of 06/13/08

Yes there is subsidy but not too much. The subsidy is 37 cents or. .37/3.48 = %10.6
misterno
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Malaysia to resort to nuclear energy by 2023: minister

Unread postby Graeme » Sat 20 Sep 2008, 23:03:00

Malaysia to resort to nuclear energy by 2023: minister

Malaysia will turn to nuclear energy to generate electricity by 2023 as supplies of fossil fuel eventually run out, a minister said according to Saturday news reports.

Energy, Water and Communications Minister Shaziman Mansor said the use of nuclear energy was also an alternative to counter high global oil prices, the Star newspaper reported.

"I will be briefing the cabinet in a fortnight. We have no choice but to start the ball rolling," he was quoted as saying.

AFP
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Wonderful Stay at Perhentian Island, Malaysia

Unread postby shazi » Mon 06 Oct 2008, 11:20:16

Hi, my name is Lou. For island, sun and sea lovers, especially if you are visiting Malaysia, may i personally recommend you to a great resort in Pulau Perhentian. I stayed 5days 4nights in this resort called "Perhentian Tunabay Island Resort"

The resort is rated as the #1 Resort in Perhentian Islands. The rooms are simply but nicely furnished, with comfortable beds, aircon and fans and hot water. I went round to a few hotels in the island and I honestly think this resort is the cleanest.

The staff were helpful and pleasant,as in fact were all the people on the island, and the standard of food in the restaurant good- the banana lassi and the Thai soup were especially nice!

I'd recommend this for families, couples, and it has the best cocktails on the islands! Do see it yourself at www.tunabay.com.my Happy Holidays.
shazi
Wood
Wood

Maylasia To Oust Foreign Workers

Unread postby deMolay » Sat 28 Feb 2009, 08:44:18

The same cry has gone up in the EU. Globalism in retreat. Thank God. Hopefully the beast dies. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7893310.stm
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sat 28 Feb 2009, 13:55:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with THE Malaysia Thread.
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Maylasia To Oust Foreign Workers

Unread postby IslandCrow » Sat 28 Feb 2009, 08:59:07

One question in all this is "Are local citizens prepared to do the work that foreigners do, at the level of pay currently given?"

I guess that the answer is that some are desperate enough for that, but not in the numbers that would make a lot of difference. I think that the economy needs to contract more. As the idea from Malaysia is that the workers will go home when their contracts are end, I suppose this is planning for a further deterioration in the economy, and may be either the jobs totally disappear or the Malays will then be more willing to take the jobs.
We should teach our children the 4-Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rejoice.
IslandCrow
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby deMolay » Sat 28 Feb 2009, 09:53:49

I recall in the 70's crisis I worked 2 or 3 of those low paying jobs at the same time, to take care of my family. And I was grateful for the work.
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 28 Feb 2009, 10:18:16

There are a lot of huge shifts beginning in S.E. Asia.

I'm not sure how ASEAN will react to this?
Nothing on the web as yet on that I guess they haven't met since?

I shop in Subic Bay, I have family who work there.
One of RP's Super Regions, with freeport status.

Last week 5,000 layoffs from 2 factories there, 3000 got $1000 USD in Pesos PHP50,000. The rest got less.
Everyone is getting reduced hours.
'Balik Bayan money' remittances fell by 10,000+ payers last month.

There is still a lot of room for internal economic growth in SE Asia this is what's keeping the engine ticking. Along with the fact people are content with a fraction of what other manufacturing workers need to live.

I live here& can't see any change in direction to suggest any government in Asia has a handle on what to do at all. (like anywhere)
If Malaysia has done this with the intention to carry it out (it may be about something else, like provoking a conversation?) it will trigger knee jerk copy cat legislation throughout ASEAN which can only be a disaster.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

THE Malaysia Thread

Unread postby lowem » Sun 02 Aug 2009, 22:57:37

Malaysia : Protesters clash with riot police

Scores held after Malaysia protest (english.aljazeera.net)

Scores of demonstrators who demanded an end to Malaysia's decades-old security law are still being held by police, a day after authorities put down the country's biggest protest in nearly two years ... the demonstrators had gathered in the Malaysian capital to protest against a security law that allows detention without trial, but were dispersed by police using water cannons and tear gas ... witnesses estimated that as many as 20,000 demonstrators took to the streets for the protest against Malaysia's Internal Security Act (ISA) on Saturday.

Malaysian Protesters Clash With Riot Police (online.wsj.com)

Malaysian riot police fired tear gas and water cannons in clashes with several thousand antigovernment demonstrators who gathered in Kuala Lumpur Saturday to protest a long-standing law allowing detention without trial, raising the stakes in a long-running struggle for political power in the resource-rich but divided country.

Chaotic scenes at Kuala Lumpur city centre (news.asiaone.com)

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia: The city centre was plunged into chaos by the protest yesterday, with protesters gathering at various places and police firing tear gas and water cannons. Many shops had to pull down the shutters and with Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman closed to traffic, many businesses claimed to be badly affected. However, tourists and curious onlookers had a fun time, walking in the middle of the road and taking photographs ...

Same news story, wildly differing depictions. Al Jazeera surprisingly has a pretty comprehensive report, while WSJ is focused on the political angle ... and Singapore-based AsiaOne talks about "tourists and curious onlookers" having "a fun time".

Well. I don't really have further comments on the state of journalism across 3 different regions of the world, except "you can read and decide for yourself" :)
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Re: Has Malaysia peaked?

Unread postby GoghGoner » Mon 08 Feb 2016, 17:31:32

OilMan wrote:Has Malaysia peaked?

Not even close! 8)

Looks like you were wrong. Malaysia not only peaked but it is a net importer now.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: THE Malaysia Thread

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 11 Jan 2018, 00:04:26

A small slice of the world demand growth of oil, in 2012 Malaysia became a net oil importer and their demand growth continues to grow. They are still drilling plenty, their Natural Gas production is still going up and was higher than ever before in 2016. Their crude oil production grew rapidly in the 1970's and 1980's but has been in a fairly small cyclic zone since 1990 apparently peaking around the 2005 run up of world oil prices but slipping since then a cycling around a slightly lower plateau. To me they have effectively been on or near the plateau since 1995 and even in the high price years of 2010-2014 they were not able to drill enough wells to supply their own demand.

Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Asia Discussion