Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Switzerland Thread (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: An Energy Policy That Makes Sense, Revisited

Unread postby Jack » Sat 10 May 2008, 07:10:13

So what grand idea do they propose? Why, more taxes, of course!

Just the way to fight peak oil. Pick the taxpayer's pockets more vigorously.
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: An Energy Policy That Makes Sense, Revisited

Unread postby Graeme » Sat 10 May 2008, 08:52:36

I kinda like the comments by frflyer, who posted the setamericafree energy policy. Check it out.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Libya halts oil exports to Switzerland

Unread postby GoghGoner » Thu 24 Jul 2008, 21:24:33

What the heck? Is Gaddafi daft?
The angry reaction from Tripoli reached a peak yesterday with the announement that Libya had halted all its oil deliveries to Switzerland and barred Swiss ships from its ports in protest at the arrest. Libya supplies more than half of Switzerland's crude imports, which totalled 2.5 million tons in 2007.
link
Last edited by Ferretlover on Thu 09 Apr 2009, 10:56:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with THE Switzerland Thread.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Libya halts oil exports to Switzerland

Unread postby centralstump » Thu 24 Jul 2008, 21:27:35

GoghGoner wrote:What the heck? Is Gaddafi daft?
The angry reaction from Tripoli reached a peak yesterday with the announement that Libya had halted all its oil deliveries to Switzerland and barred Swiss ships from its ports in protest at the arrest. Libya supplies more than half of Switzerland's crude imports, which totalled 2.5 million tons in 2007.

link

Sounds like he is indeed daft.
centralstump
Peat
Peat

Unread postby americandream » Thu 24 Jul 2008, 22:18:49

centralstump wrote:

link
Sounds like he is indeed daft.

At this rate he might take to accusing them of harbouring nuclear ambitions.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Drake » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 04:49:41

Swiss Ships??? Did I miss something on the map.
Drake
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Starvid » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 05:02:00

Paper tiger.
Peak oil is not an energy crisis. It is a liquid fuel crisis.
Starvid
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby idiom » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 05:20:19

Hey the Swiss won the America's Cup (world premier sailing race) twice!
idiom
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Drake » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 06:15:01

A good sailing team is one thing, having a coastline and a harbour for 100000 ton oiltankers a different one :lol:
I found it just curious, that there seems to be a swiss merchant marine.
Drake
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Kingcoal » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 07:48:36

GoghGoner wrote:Is Gaddafi daft?
Yes, he is...
"That's the problem with mercy, kid... It just ain't professional" - Fast Eddie, The Color of Money
Kingcoal
Expert
Expert

Unread postby skeptik » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 07:57:00

I dont think so, or he wouldn't have lasted in power as long as he has.
Probably just the usual old Narcissistic Personality Disorder that many top political leaders suffer from. Makes them subject to fits of rage and impulsive behaviour. He'll calm down eventually and it'll all go back to status quo ante.
skeptik
Coal
Coal

Unread postby jbrovont » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 08:01:25

"Yes, we're sorry we arrested your brat son for beating someone." Some people just shouldn't breed.
jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby GoghGoner » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 09:00:45

skeptik wrote:He'll calm down eventually and it'll all go back to status quo ante.

So Moammar Gadhafi is going to restart oil export without an apology from the Swiss? I have little doubt you are right since I don't see any other resolution but I am ignorant of possible supply shifts, too.
Libya says two Swiss citizens it detained at the weekend were in the country illegally. One of them works for the Swiss-Swedish technology group, ABB. They are said to be being held in tough conditions and are sharing a small cell with around 20 others. The Swiss embassy in Libya says it has not been allowed to visit them yet. The charges against the pair were brought exactly a week after Hannibal Gaddafi and his wife were charged in Geneva with assaulting two domestic staff.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby centralstump » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 10:21:10

skeptik wrote:

I dont think so, or he wouldn't have lasted in power as long as he has.
Probably just the usual old Narcissistic Personality Disorder that many top political leaders suffer from. Makes them subject to fits of rage and impulsive behaviour. He'll calm down eventually and it'll all go back to status quo ante.

That is one possibility. The other is that it wont go back to status quo. This is the sort of tiny little thing that starts world wars. There is no way the U.S., China, and the Western Europe will allow this to stand.
centralstump
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 11:44:49

Everyone understands that nothing will come of this, right?

Italy will buy oil from Libya and sell it to the Swiss...just as they have always done.

It's merely a bluff on the part of Gaddafi in response to the arrest of his son.

Gaddafi hasn't been a threat since we murdered one of his daughters and injured two of his sons in 1986.

Sure, he still sponsered terrorists from time to time but once you start killing a guy's family...he doesn't put up much of a fight.
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GoghGoner » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 13:34:40

Swiss delegation to Libya returns empty-handed

The cabinet held an extraordinary meeting on Friday to discuss the unilateral measures taken by the Libyan authorities. However, no decision was made about possible retaliatory steps against Libya.

Swiss military budget $3.1 billion (FY98), active troop strength at 120,000. Libya active troop strength at 76,000 but no budget found, yet. Looks like the Swiss take 'em.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby GoghGoner » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 13:45:01

Tyler_JC wrote:Everyone understands that nothing will come of this, right?

Italy will buy oil from Libya and sell it to the Swiss...just as they have always done.

From my understanding, Libya stopped exporting the oil to Switzerland. Your are saying the Libya does not export oil directly to the Swiss, what is your source?
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 14:31:28

GoghGoner wrote:
Tyler_JC wrote:Everyone understands that nothing will come of this, right?

From my understanding, Libya stopped exporting the oil to Switzerland. Your are saying the Libya does not export oil directly to the Swiss, what is your source?

Even if they directly export oil to the Swiss, it's not difficult for the Swiss to buy oil from any of their neighbors.

If I refuse to sell oil to Bob but I still sell oil to Tom, Tom will buy extra oil and sell it to Bob.

The only difference is that the process costs a little more money and wastes a little more time for everyone involved.

Oil is a liquid commodity. The oil that America doesn't buy from Iran gets bought by China. The oil that China doesn't buy from Canada gets bought by America.

All of these boycotts are an exercise in futility.

Don't believe me? Try finding a fancy bar in America that isn't full of Cuban cigars.
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GoghGoner » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 14:44:04

Tyler_JC wrote: Even if they directly export oil to the Swiss, it's not difficult for the Swiss to buy oil from any of their neighbors.

If I refuse to sell oil to Bob but I still sell oil to Tom, Tom will buy extra oil and sell it to Bob.

The only difference is that the process costs a little more money and wastes a little more time for everyone involved.

Oil is a liquid commodity. The oil that America doesn't buy from Iran gets bought by China. The oil that China doesn't buy from Canada gets bought by America.

All of these boycotts are an exercise in futility.

Don't believe me? Try finding a fancy bar in America that isn't full of Cuban cigars.

I believe there is a flaw in your logic. The dynamics of the oil market may have changed. Perhaps with riots in Italy over diesel prices some of that oil won't make it to the Swiss.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Fri 25 Jul 2008, 14:49:17

Or Italy may not have a surplus to sell to the Swiss in the first place, or possibly consider hoarding what they have as a hedge against higher prices in the future. I do agree that it's unlikely this will be an Archduke Ferdinand style event, but even so, with supply as tight as it is, it's difficult to forecast how things will work out.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Europe Discussion