Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The 'Fear The Doomer' thread

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: The 'Fear The Doomer' thread

Unread postby ralfy » Thu 03 Sep 2015, 23:27:48

Ibon wrote:
I posted on another thread something relevant to these comments. In affect, modern civilization for 200 years has continuously won all the battles against Malthusian predictions of collapse only to perhaps eventually lose the war. Ultimately, each adjustment we make through technology to accommodate and enable a growing population to thrive is going to enable the eventual cyclical correction (the war) to be that much more brutal.

Or?

There is an interesting theoretical question that hangs in the air that Cornucopians rarely bring up that I think merits discussion.

Is a falling population due to resource constraints manageable to avoid an all out civilization collapse.

The triage decisions that are made in an emergency room after a bomb or natural disaster, you stabilize the wounded and save the most lives you can knowing you will lose some.

We start to write off the most hopeless unsustainable regions of the world due to political instability, over populated bio-regions of extreme low sustainable carrying capacity, coastal areas due to sea level rise, stopping the flow of immigrants, stopping the flow of food aid, etc. etc.

Wont moral drift result in nation states with abundant resources preserving their core as they allow collapse and barbarianism of regions simply written off? Some of these same nation states will apply this triage within their own borders.

Drifting morally into the territory of writing off whole populations as a triage is something morally unheard of today but maybe quite the status quo in a hundred years.

Wont a Copious Abundance in this future scenario still be preaching abundance where it is still preserved at its core?

Haven't we already started heading down this path?

During most of those two centuries the global population was relatively small, with environmental damage, middle class conveniences, and even the presence of WMDs barely present. In addition, "abundance" during the last few decades meant large numbers in hard drives, and backed up ironically through resources (especially oil) and even manpower available in "barbaric" regions. Another irony is that the economic status of those in power is dependent on decreasing the number of "barbarians" through increased sales of goods and services to growing consumer markets.

In short, the basis of that "core" is a global capitalist economy that requires continuous economic growth, thanks to increasing credit that has to be backed up by increasing production and consumption of goods, dominated by a financial elite which can only thrive through a growing global middle class.

Given a collapse that decreases that population significantly, the "core" will consists of armed groups attacking each other.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GregT » Fri 04 Sep 2015, 14:47:38

Ibon wrote:Wont a Copious Abundance in this future scenario still be preaching abundance where it is still preserved at its core?

Haven't we already started heading down this path?

I would guess that around the globe many Copious Abundances have already had their world views shattered. It all boils down to the luck of the draw, where you were born, who your parents were, etc. Collapse is a process, just because it hasn't affected a particular individual yet, does not mean that it isn't already occurring.
GregT
Coal
Coal

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 04 Sep 2015, 15:04:04

True what G states, collapse is occurring for example in MENA countries and you can even say in some other places like for example Mexico. So this fits in perfectly with the theme of this topic. Fearing the Doomer is fearing doom. In the end some (I will not name names haha) do not want to hear the salient message of collapse for it is too overwhelming for them. Their is still a part of me that has a sense of foreboding. I have though for the most part inured myself to the concept of doom. Which is why I can expose myself as often as I do to these doomer topics without needing to go to a shrink or even worse checking out early haha. :razz: :lol:
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 04 Sep 2015, 15:25:50

GregT wrote:I would guess that around the globe many Copious Abundances have already had their world views shattered.

Or, for the doomer who refuses to accept any fact that disagrees with their belief system. And of course, dismisses any disagreeing source, like the MSM, as "delusional". Sure.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Lore » Fri 04 Sep 2015, 16:54:14

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
GregT wrote:I would guess that around the globe many Copious Abundances have already had their world views shattered.

Or, for the doomer who refuses to accept any fact that disagrees with their belief system. And of course, dismisses any disagreeing source, like the MSM, as "delusional". Sure.

Shattered... Shadoobie!
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion