Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New Apollo programme wants moonshot budget to boost RE

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

New Apollo programme wants moonshot budget to boost RE

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 02 Jun 2015, 00:01:00

New Apollo programme wants moonshot budget to boost renewables

If renewable energy were cheaper than coal, it would be a major help in achieving the crucial target of keeping global warming below 2 °C. This week a worldwide initiative is being launched in London to achieve just such a transformation in energy costs within 10 years.

The Global Apollo Programme wants to jump-start research into cracking the biggest technological obstacle to widespread adoption of solar and wind energy: how to store and distribute it so it can be used as and when needed, rather than consumed immediately as at present. Once that happens, clean energy can undercut coal and consign it to history.

"The challenge is as big as putting a man on the moon," says Richard Layard of the London School of Economics, one of the founders of the programme along with other prominent scientists, economists and industrialists. "It took £15 billion a year over 10 years to get a man on the moon, and we're suggesting that's the absolute minimum needed globally per year to crack this problem."

"We need to create clean energy that's cheaper than fossil fuel, and once we reach that, we win on all fronts," says David King, the UK government's special representative for climate change and another founder member.

The group expects governments of many countries to agree to earmark 0.02 per cent of their annual economic output to the effort. King says several countries have already committed to supporting it, including the US, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, India, China and the United Arab Emirates, plus the European Union.

newscientist
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: New Apollo programme wants moonshot budget to boost RE

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 02 Jun 2015, 18:35:57

Global ‘Apollo’ push for renewables and storage troubled by ‘out of date’ thinking

Clean energy entrepreneur and activist Jeremy Leggett has said “out of date thinking” is behind a push to make clean energy competitive with fossil fuels within 10 years that was launched today by prominent UK academics.

The Global Apollo programme calls for efforts to be made on clean energy comparable in scale and scope to a unified international space programme and has been put together by a team which includes Sir David King, a former chief scientific advisor to the British government. The programme advocates “a major scientific and technological programme of research, using the best minds in the world and the best science”.

The formation of the group follows a public call to arms made by King last year to significantly speed up the transition to low emissions energy sources worldwide. A 40-page document published today refers to the expected two-degree rise in global temperature by 2035 and says an absolute limit on carbon dioxide emissions will be crucial to prevent this from happening.

Global Apollo proposes the six “pillars” of clean energy to be renewables, energy storage and transmission, as well as nuclear energy, fossil fuels burned with effective CCS (carbon capture storage) and energy efficiency. The authors claim the latter three already see a “high level of research effort” but that the former three areas need further support to reach these levels.

“It’s going to happen anyway”

Solar Power Portal spoke to Jeremy Leggett this morning about the report. Leggett said that he was “bemused” to hear that it championed measures including a contribution of 0.02% of the GDP of each country involved between 2016 and 2025 for research. He said that it in his opinion, regardless of the Global Apollo programme’s input, costs are falling for renewables quickly enough that competitiveness with fossil fuels within 10 years is “going to happen anyway”.

solarpowerportal
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Graeme » Wed 03 Jun 2015, 19:12:13

Global Apollo Programme Aims To Tackle Climate Change

Together, these British energy luminaries are calling for “a new priority for the discovery of new, cheaper ways to produce, store, and distribute clean energy.” The current research and development for renewable energy “is under 2% of the total of publicly funded research and development” worldwide — “only around $6 billion in total. This is hardly commensurate with the gravity of the threat we face,” the authors write.

The Global Apollo Programme therefore sees $15 billion as a “minimum acceptable scale for the Programme in its early years, rising thereafter in line with GDP growth.”

The Global Apollo Programme, just like its predecessor, has a clear target — “that new-build base-load energy from renewable sources becomes cheaper than new-build coal in sunny parts of the world by 2020, and worldwide from 2025.” Well, in many places, solar power is already cheaper. And the list is growing fast. But yes, the faster, the better.

The full report is available to read here (PDF).

cleantechnica
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby kublikhan » Thu 04 Jun 2015, 00:19:48

He said that it in his opinion, regardless of the Global Apollo programme’s input, costs are falling for renewables quickly enough that competitiveness with fossil fuels within 10 years is “going to happen anyway”.
Even if this is true, there is still the intermittency problem of renewables which requires energy storage, fossil fuel backup, etc. Energy storage is currently expensive. And if you are using low carbon fossil fuels as backup, that means CCS. CCS is expensive as well. So investments are still needed in both of those areas. And the best bang for the buck is the last pillar mentioned: energy efficiency.
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Ulenspiegel » Thu 04 Jun 2015, 06:21:11

As long as transmisson is much cheaper than storage, the connection of not correlated production is IMHO the way to go.
Ulenspiegel
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 04 Jun 2015, 08:01:03

U - "The Global Apollo Programme wants to jump-start research into cracking the biggest technological obstacle to widespread adoption of solar and wind energy: how to store and distribute it so it can be used as and when needed, rather than consumed immediately as at present." They can save themselves a lot of time and money: just book a trip to Texas and take a first hand look at how we've handled wind power. There was no "technical problem" with distribution from the point to source to the consumption source. It was a financial problem. A financial problem the state solve by spending $7 BILLION to upgrade our transmission system.

They can model all the technical aspects till the cows come home but it will achieve nothing if the financial portion of the calculus isn't solved. The article seems to border on the same ridiculous use of "technically recoverable oil reserves": Yes...tremendous "technically achievable" potential when you don't factor in the cost factor. Technically one can make pigs fly...all you have to do is spend enough.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Thu 04 Jun 2015, 10:14:03

.......To the moon with wind power !
at last , a slogan to motivate the world !
don Quichotte fighting windmills , hence my avatar ( for the really dumb , or didn't care )
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Thu 04 Jun 2015, 16:41:10

On my electric bill, distribution charges are more than it cost to generate the damn electricity. How is it for you guys?
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 04 Jun 2015, 19:13:50

Because of my solar PV array and because I selected a payment plan to average my electricity charges and because I made a modest effort at power conservation, followed by abandoning the operation of my 3/4 hp pool pump entirely due to the drought, I get a few bucks credit each month which doesn't quite cover the special taxes and surcharges that CARB tacked onto everybody's electric bill.

But I'm still paying 94 bucks/month on my leasing plan for the solar panels, which will be five years old in July. The panels have insulated me from 5 years of rate increases and even after the lease payments are totalled up, I have saved over $2500 on my power bill. Thankfully, we still have net metering in California.

Also, if you are counting, my solar PV has saved spewing over 6900 lbs of carbon dioxide into the air.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Lore » Thu 04 Jun 2015, 19:24:49

So, you had a pool in the desert and you're complaining?
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Return to Energy Technology