Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Cold snap in Carolinas puts strain on electric grid

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Cold snap in Carolinas puts strain on electric grid

Unread postby GHung » Thu 08 Jan 2015, 10:10:15

A leading electric utility in the Carolinas is asking customers to curb their electric usage, warning the cold snap sending temperatures there into the teens is testing the electric grid.

Duke Energy (DUK) is warning that demand for electricity will likely spike between 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. Thursday. It is customers to do what they can to curb use, from turning down their thermostats and postponing household chores that use energy to shutting off lights and unplugging unused charging cords for phones and tablets.

Unlike traditional cold weather regions of the country, which depend on natural gas and heating oil to heat homes, about 65% of homes in the Carolinas use electric heat, according the the U.S. Energy Information Agency. So the current cold snap, which has temperatures in Charlotte down to 15 degrees Fahrenheit Thursday morning, is increasing demand for electricity.

"The forecasted conditions are very similar to those we experienced last January during the Polar Vortex," said Nelson Peeler, Duke Energy vice president of transmission system operations. "We currently have sufficient generation resources to meet our customers' energy needs, but we know from experience that conditions can change quickly, and we need to be prepared."

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/08/news/co ... ?iid=HP_LN

TVA is also running spots asking for "restraint" in electrical use. It was 1.2 degrees F at our place this morning - warm and toasty inside with the wood stove going, and batteries nicely charged. Most of the areas affected aren't even below the teens. Seems their systems are maxed out, while Duke and TVA are spending $$$ cleaning up coal-ash spills, etc. They have also been busy trying to reduce payments to grid-tied solar customers; hoping to modify previous agreements. Got to keep those share-holders happy.

Hoping everyone stays warm.

edit: Duke's outage map now shows about 5500 customers in the cold, up from earlier. Can't be sure it's related to the cold, but no storms in the area for days.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Cold snap in Carolinas puts strain on electric grid

Unread postby Paulo1 » Thu 08 Jan 2015, 11:06:43

Just curious: (if you have time)

Do you know what a normal residential user pays in your neck of the woods for electricity per Kw/hr? (I know you do)

And, would they pay as much for cooling in the ssummer as for heat in winter?

Do you have an estimate for a kind of avearge yearly cost for regular family use in a normal size home?

Must feel pretty good to be so set up in solar + nothing like wood heat!!!

regards
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby GHung » Thu 08 Jan 2015, 12:26:40

Hi, Paulo. Our small area is serviced by a small EMC (electric membership co-op) which gets most of its electricity from TVA. My sister, who lives alone in a small house (electric hot water, heat pump forced air), says her bill averages about $130/month. My brother is in a larger home, 3 people (electric hot water, propane forced air heat, supplements with wood heat) is paying an average of about $220/month. Here's the co-op's residential schedule:

GSA 1 - Under 50 KW
Customer Charge $19.73
Demand Less Than 50 KWH - No Charge
First 15,000 KWH @ 12.391 cents $__________
(If KWH usage goes over
15,000, then goes to GSA 2) Total KWH Charge $________________
Plus Tax at __7__% $________________
TOTAL BILL $________________

GSA 2 - Over 50 KW
Customer Charge $75.00
First 15,000 KWH @ 12.313 cents $___________
Additional KWH @ 6.247 cents

Most surrounding areas get their power from Duke. Their schedule can be found here:
http://www.duke-energy.com/pdfs/NCScheduleRS.pdf

Grid electricity is actually considered pretty affordable here compared to some other areas. I suppose 'affordable' is relative though, and rates are creeping up. Duke was recently denied a rate increase by the state PSC, but I expect it'll go through next time.

Meanwhile, we have about 190 contiguous acres between us, about 70% forest, and firewood (we only use standing, or fallen, dead wood) is in abundance. Even in this cold weather, my woodstove and new solar water heater are keeping our 1600 liter water tank above 140F; pumps through the floor and heats DHW. We keep our bathroom floor especially warm in the winter. Don't want things to slam shut when we sit on the throne, eh?

All systems go this morning, and our PV works great on these cold/clear/short days; currently cranking out 5100+ watts net to the battery. I could even run a small electric heater on days like this since we'll have a surplus. Passive solar is flooding the house and the poodles are stretched out, warming themselves in the sun. Domestic bliss in a problematic world; I almost feel guilty. Think I'll bake bread today after the chores are done. Nowhere I need to be today; no fossil fuels that need burning. Poor wife is working overtime ($$ - tax season), so I treat her like the Queen she is.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 08 Jan 2015, 13:33:49

In states like California, we have the "benefits" of renewable energy supplies:

Tier 1, 2, and 3 residential rates vary between $0.16900/kWh and $0.27322/kWh, less legislation-mandated 10% discounts for those consumers who voluntarily keep consumption below the Tier 2 maximum. These rates represent the cost of power on the grid plus surcharges that the State applies to pay for Green Energy incentives.

There are also Tier 4 and Tier 5 rates which apply to commercial buildings and multi-family units which are as high as $0.33909/kWh.

Lastly there is legislation requiring that solar PV and other renewable energy sources (Hydro, Wind, and Geothermal) from consumers be credited at the same retail rates as the bulk power consumers when excess power is supplied to the grid. However you must be a homeowner to complete the paperwork and get the operating certificate for power production - therefore the existing system is sharply regressive in the sense that renters pay higher rates that subsidize middle class homeowners such as myself who have solar PV on our roofs.

But the bottom line is that everybody pays higher rates to pay for Green Energy programs. Some people such as myself can invest in solar PV and use the grid as a battery, saving up to about 90% of my electrical costs.

One consequence of higher electrical rates is that light manufacturing fled the state in years past and caused hundreds of thousands of people to be unemployed. "Green" energy sometimes conceals hidden costs is the message.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Paulo1 » Thu 08 Jan 2015, 14:09:59

Thank you, guys. Interesting info re rates. Our rates are still .07 for 1st tier, but rate increases are in the works for sure. Have to pay for site C and no NG exports, somehow. :oops:

Good luck in the weird cold weather for those east of the Rockies.

We are supposed to have sun all day, this afternoon +10 C. (Vancouver Island) Walked the dog already on crusty 2" snow, and will do some wood planing outside this afternoon. Noisy for the neighbourhood, but less mess to clean up. Building a gun cabinet for son out of local alder.

Stay warm.
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby BobInget » Thu 08 Jan 2015, 14:20:32

Here in Nicaragua "Nica" houses are wired with common lamp cord wire.
Adding to excitement the fact that almost none of these homes are Not fused in Any fashion. Oh, when asked about this detail, owners will point to a knife switch hidden behind a picture of Jesus. Confident of being in His Hands, we sleep soundly.

Wait.. I have a point. Seeing as there is obviously insufficient power, everyone uses
gas to cook. I promise you, post the coming oil shortage (Communist Plot) Americans
will turn to gas, big time.
BobInget
Lignite
Lignite

Return to North America Discussion