Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

"A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash"---was it right?

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Re: "A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash"---was it right?

Unread postby Buddy_J » Wed 27 Feb 2013, 19:52:07

Plantagenet wrote:If you are are right you'll make a fortune. If you are wrong you will still learn a valuable lesson. :)

Do you really believe what you are saying? Do you feel lucky?

Goodness gracious, what would the world be like without internet experts?

Buddy_J
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 28 Feb 2013, 00:25:58

pstarr wrote:Why would I take your investment advice?

????

You are the one predicting the imminent demise of the frakking industry, not me.

If that is what you believe, then why don't you put your money where your mouth is? I'm definitely not advising you to short frakking stocks---in fact I think your prediction of the imminent demise of frakking is stupid----but if you actually believe in the dreck you are saying, then why aren't you acting on your own predictions? :roll:

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 03 Jun 2014, 21:27:28

Last night, I watched this doco on Maori TV for the first time. Nearly all of the people interviewed were pessimistic about our energy future but what surprised me was that alternatives were discussed and largely dismissed as being "small" compared to energy supplied by fossil fuels. There was one exception: David Goodstein (note other people interviewed are listed here), who suggested in passing that solar could provide the equivalent of x TW energy (I don't remember number) that oil currently supplies but that research would have to occur to achieve this. He thought that this wasn't being done yet in 2006. Eight years on I see that this research into solar is now being done, and we are close to achieving his goal.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 03 Jun 2014, 22:31:28

We are in the era of PO but global economic collapse hasn't occurred hopefully not ever. I acknowledge that we are standing on a knife edge so the outcome is far from certain.
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 03 Jun 2014, 23:05:32

Graeme wrote:We are in the era of PO but global economic collapse hasn't occurred hopefully not ever. I acknowledge that we are standing on a knife edge so the outcome is far from certain.

Most human civilizations have come and gone in a few short centuries. Exceptional ones like the Byzantine Empire or the Egyption Middle Period have lasted just over a thousand. The longest continuing dynasty to date is the Japanese Emporer with his family tree being traced back to 660 BC. However even that extended history going back over two thousand years has seen Japanese culture rise, fall, change and rise again more than once. Most everything else in Japan has changed over the last 2674 years, even though the family tree of the Emporer has not. The Han dynasty, the Chi'in dynasty both lasted hudreds of years before being supplanted, but today they are just history lessons in dusty old books.

One of the most frequent phrases is my Christian Bible is,
it came to pass
. Nothing but God is eternal, though many do not share my faith I believe this to be a fundamental truth. Using my Kindle to search my electronic edition of the Bible turns up over 100 passages where the phrase is used. Nothing made by humans, no person, no culture, no civilization lasts forever, everything made by humans is such that it came to pass.

I hope our civilization out lives me by hundreds of years, but the evidence of my senses tells me at this point, it came to pass.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Scrub Puller » Wed 04 Jun 2014, 02:14:45

Yair . . . Subjectivist. I assume you are American and as such you have an aberrant understanding of the English language.

If you google some definitions you will see that for many folks the phrase "it came to pass" just means that something actually happened . . . as does "momentarily" mean that something happened just for a moment and so on . . . there are several examples of different meanings being applied to common words.

In no way am I being critical it is just that some Americans have a different understanding of common speech.

Cheers
Scrub Puller
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Pops » Wed 04 Jun 2014, 11:33:52

Graeme wrote:We are in the era of PO but global economic collapse hasn't occurred hopefully not ever. I acknowledge that we are standing on a knife edge so the outcome is far from certain.

We are at the peak, the maximum, the zenith of global extractive civilization; doesn't really make much sense to infer much from the fact that we haven't collapsed at this point, the only one who seems surprised and even much interested in that fact is copious.

We fly to mars to take pictures, spend trillions on guns that will never be fired and build cavernous houses yet stare at tiny screens at every opportunity; is it any surprise we can fool ourselves into thinking we can fuel it all with "renewable" energy?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 04 Jun 2014, 12:33:29

Scrub Puller wrote:Yair . . . Subjectivist. I assume you are American and as such you have an aberrant understanding of the English language.

If you google some definitions you will see that for many folks the phrase "it came to pass" just means that something actually happened . . . as does "momentarily" mean that something happened just for a moment and so on . . . there are several examples of different meanings being applied to common words.

In no way am I being critical it is just that some Americans have a different understanding of common speech.

Cheers

Ah the joy of people sperated by a common language! Each time the phrase (it came to pass) is used in my Bible it is to signify an event has taken place that is noteworthy. To me it serves as an example always that something has changed that is different from what took place before.

The oil age came to pass, just like the stone age, the bronze age, and the iron age that each preceded it. That is how I see it, how do you see it?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Scrub Puller » Wed 04 Jun 2014, 19:00:38

Yair . . . Subjectivist . This was a comment of Mark Twains concerning the use of the phrase by Joseph Smith in his compilation of the Book of Mormon . . . .

The author labored to give his words and phrases the quaint, old-fashioned sound and structure of our King James's translation of the Scriptures.... Whenever he found his speech growing too modern -- which was about every sentence or two -- he ladled in a few such Scriptural phrases as "exceeding sore," "and it came to pass," etc., and made things satisfactory again. "And it came to pass" was his pet. If he had left that out, his Bible would have been only a pamphlet

I really don't believe the phrase has any significance.

Cheers.
Scrub Puller
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 09 Sep 2016, 21:26:17

So tonight I was feeling nostalgic about what this place was like when I was just lurking around. So I searched around YouTube and discovered the movie is available for now. Not sure how long it will be available before it gets taken down, but for now,

https://youtu.be/odCZpBPfFQk
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ennui2 » Fri 09 Sep 2016, 22:50:11

Buddy_J wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:If you are are right you'll make a fortune. If you are wrong you will still learn a valuable lesson. :)

Do you really believe what you are saying? Do you feel lucky?

Goodness gracious, what would the world be like without internet experts?

"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 10 Sep 2016, 00:35:00

Subjectivist wrote:So tonight I was feeling nostalgic about what this place was like when I was just lurking around. So I searched around YouTube and discovered the movie is available for now. Not sure how long it will be available before it gets taken down, but for now,

https://youtu.be/odCZpBPfFQk

The End of Suburbia was even better. Better meaning "has even more things to laugh about".
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 10 Sep 2016, 02:26:03

Dang Sub. Only a group of geologists, engineers and oil "experts" can help put a film together about PO that would send the average person into a coma. LOL. It's 0120 hrs and I was already getting sleepy. Now I ...can... hardly ....keep ...my ....eyes ....open ....to...
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GoghGoner » Sat 10 Sep 2016, 08:54:08

Matt Simmons and Roscoe Bartlett have passed and Matt has become an Astrologist.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ennui2 » Sat 10 Sep 2016, 10:12:12

GoghGoner wrote:Matt Simmons and Roscoe Bartlett have passed and Matt has become an Astrologist.

Roscoe Bartlett's dead? His Wikipedia page doesn't say so, although being retired and living in a doomstead in WV he might as well be dead.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... rid-101720

(BTW, he's a good example of someone who was always predisposed to doom, being a 7th day adventist. He was never a good appeal-to-authority figure. And with 10 kids, oblivious to limits to growth.)
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 10 Sep 2016, 10:49:38

GoghGoner wrote:Matt Simmons and Roscoe Bartlett have passed and Matt has become an Astrologist.

Savinar is my favorite.His expose of the members of his website gave everyone real insight into the inner workings of a PO group.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

PreviousNext

Return to Book/Media Reviews