Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

My Dental Assistant said I am Insane

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: My Dental Assistant said I am Insane

Unread postby Cog » Sun 21 Feb 2016, 09:29:21

A doomer does a lot of damage to himself and to the belief in climate change and peak oil, by going off on rants about how we are all doomed, to random strangers. You make a lot more converts to living a low consumption lifestyle by pointing out the personal benefits of doing so. Lower stress, more disposable income to do other creative things, low debt, better retirement.

Freaking out people who can't change the world doesn't accomplish anything.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 21 Feb 2016, 11:48:45

In college, at an elite University, the resident dentist would give us a choice of novacaine or have his beautiful young assistant caress our hand while he does a filling on you. I chose the assistant and it WORKS!
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby omul » Sun 21 Feb 2016, 13:45:23

yo uglies since u are all so smarter than me....now get ready for nukulear bush war and canniblism and whatever cause i dont care anymore....
omul
Wood
Wood

Unread postby efarmer » Sun 21 Feb 2016, 17:02:26

I sit there all quiet and nice for my dental hygienist, my legs shake after awhile from my glutes pinching a crease on the chair cushion, and she puts sharp instruments in my mouth. We have an unwritten deal, I don't give her any unpleasant thoughts or scenarios and she doesn't hurt me very often. For me this is as good as it can be. My Dentist on the other hand is a man of impeccable logic, if I told him all about the impending doom he would smile and nod and then tell the counter clerk to hit me for all the cash I could scrounge to hedge against me being correct. It is one thing for them to consider me to be insane, it is quite another for me to prove it to them on a voluntary basis.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Revi » Mon 22 Feb 2016, 15:19:41

I gave up talking to most people about it a long time ago. Here is a promo for a movie we are working on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owUIkQJ_btM

I think the way to let people know is to keep it light.

They aren't going to respond to doom anyway.

Unfortunately...
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Mon 22 Feb 2016, 15:22:03

Cog wrote:A doomer does a lot of damage to himself and to the belief in climate change and peak oil, by going off on rants about how we are all doomed, to random strangers. You make a lot more converts to living a low consumption lifestyle by pointing out the personal benefits of doing so. Lower stress, more disposable income to do other creative things, low debt, better retirement.

Freaking out people who can't change the world doesn't accomplish anything.

I agree completely, even though I don't like the Confederate Flag Cog uses as an avatar.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ennui2 » Tue 23 Feb 2016, 03:26:49

Revi wrote:I agree completely, even though I don't like the Confederate Flag Cog uses as an avatar.

Ditto. The only confederate flag I can tolerate is on the General Lee, because it's so kitsch.

"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion