Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Kopits: Peak Oil is When . . .

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Kopits: Peak Oil is When . . .

Unread postby Pops » Thu 27 Feb 2014, 17:02:05

Subjectivist, I became convinced sometime in 2012 that the jig was up. It's becoming pretty clear looking in the rear view that oil from conventional sources is at peak - world production has been flat these last 9 years aside from LTO . . .the only caveat to that is the 2-3 MMbbls offline due to politics.

The EIA says we have a couple more years of growth in US LTO, Laherrere says a few more months. I've not heard any big news about fracking taking off elsewhere. So really the only growth after that will come from the x-heavy and tar sands and increases there will have no chance to keep up with decline and depletion of the super giants where most of supply comes from.

Natural gas E&P will come back with higher prices this year I'd imagine, it makes great sense to frack tight rocks for gas and we'll get additional NGPLs as a byproduct - most of that is not a substitute for crude even though it is counted as if it were nowadays. I just hope it is as widespread as the PR reposters preach and isn't likewise a flash in the pan.

There is no doubt in my mind we are at the peak of production of the conventional oil trapped in big "pools" just waiting for Jed's bullet. The only question that remains for me is what shape the backside of the curve takes. That's why the decline of investment is such a big deal. Investment today means production 5 years hence, so if producers decide to sit on their hands today, 5 years from today is when we'll see the result, or the non-results as it were. If the LTO Red Queen has by then stumbled and begun to fall behind we'll be doubly cursed.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Kopits: Peak Oil is When . . .

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 27 Feb 2014, 17:13:30

Based on that Kopits lecture I watched this morning the pubco's are no longer investing enough to keep up with future production. That being the case we are like the guy who has lost more hands of poker than he won on boys night who then goes all in certain he holds the winning hand. If he is right he gets back everything he already lost (LTO replaces conventional). If he is wrong however, he is out of the game (LTO bubble pops, catabolic collapse takes place).

Perhaps it is time to study Manderin and Hindi, the native speakers of either or both could be running the world in five years.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion