Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

If You're Not Listening to Chris Martenson...

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: If You're Not Listening to Chris Martenson...

Unread postby GHung » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 13:55:20

KaiserJeep wrote:OK, but YOU are betting that post-crash gold has value beyond fishing weights and jewelry, are you not?

I'm betting on a number of things, KJ. Most of you have no Plan B. I have Plan A,B,C,D..... I'm even planning on BAU for a while,, or not. That said, all of my plans involve avoiding the numerous traps that our society has set for you. Debt? fugetaboutit. A lot of my wealth in equities and paper assets? Nope. New vehicles? None that I can't charge using my home energy system. Expensive vacations? Not when I can put that time and energy into plans B,C,and D. Chances are I've been there, done that, anyway. Utter dependency on top-down hyper-complex systems? Not when that can be avoided. Making long-term financial commitments? See 'debt', above.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby aspera » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 14:06:01

Ghung: "...good neighbors"

Yes. That's why among other everyday behaviors we promote "well fed neighbors." Frightening to think of the alternative.
Oceans rise, empires fall. - Apocalypse Lullaby, Wailin' Jennys.
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Cog » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 14:08:42

A 24,000 on the DOW has not completely destroyed the doomer segment, in fact it has made them more frantic with their doomeristic predictions.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 14:23:50

So I'm interpreting what you say to mean that you believe that gold will have value beyond the approximately $30/lb in barter equivalent I would be willing to trade you for it, only if I wanted to cast bullets or fishing weights.

As I believe that BAU will persist for 2-10 decades, my own priorities are to establish two family homesteads that each are relatively independant, on the island of Nantucket and in Wisconsin's dairyland area. But I'm not of the opinion that each homestead must be totally independant either. I believe that completely independant homesteads will perish relatively soon. I believe they are too burdensome in terms of labor and required materials to persist beyond a year or two of intense misery. As a member of a viable and vital community of a few dozen to a few thousand people, you have a much better chance of living many more years. So in-person social networking with your neighbors and relative strangers in the community will be required.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GHung » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 14:49:48

KJ said; "But I'm not of the opinion that each homestead must be totally independant either. I believe that completely independant homesteads will perish relatively soon. I believe they are too burdensome in terms of labor and required materials to persist beyond a year or two of intense misery. As a member of a viable and vital community of a few dozen to a few thousand people, you have a much better chance of living many more years."

Another binary conclusion. The two are not mutually exclusive, nor are they an either/or plan. One can have a largely independent homestead while being an important member of a community. Indeed, some of the most independent folks I know are deeply involved in their community.

As for "too burdensome in terms of labor and required materials to persist beyond a year or two of intense misery", that's is also a bias you have. Misery for me was going to the same job day after day, year after year sitting in a cubical producing virtual BS on a computer screen that will quickly become obsolete. Seemed like a helluva way to waste a life. And my material needs have dropped, not gone up.

My goal is to reduce complexity in my life. Seems you plan the opposite.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 15:13:28

Before you do any lathe work hippie, put that pony-tail up in a hair net. I'd hate to see you scalped.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 15:30:27

I'm seen industrial accidents before chief. The vision of your pony-tail being wrapped around a lathe might bring some people joy but it does not me. I might want to buy some dope from you when I get old so I need you around after the crash.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 15:50:03

KJ I think you are a bridge too far thinking that gold and silver will only be good for fish weights. There value will always be set by what the seller of goods and services will trade for a given amount of it. In Roman times it was a certain number of loves of bread for an ounce of gold. It is not that the seller can eat or otherwise use the gold himself but that down the road he can again trade the gold for something he needs.
Back to the Romans , they often paid their soldiers in salt which was needed to cure and preserve food. Hence the expression about a good worker being "worth his salt."
Post peak oil and government collapse I expect we will use a number of things in trade including old silver coins and rifle ammunition. How many 223s will you give me for a 100 rounds of 22LR or a bushel of potatoes?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 16:02:02

I'm simply saying what those metals are worth to ME. I also allow that the wife likes to adorn herself with gold and silver jewelry, which causes me to pay the going rate, especially at Christmas gift time. But when we move to a barter economy, I actually believe that some form of digital currency will be used. The secure online marketplace is where value and wealth lies today, and not in useless ingots and coins, which can be stolen and must always be hidden and guarded.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 16:39:42

KaiserJeep wrote:I'm simply saying what those metals are worth to ME. I also allow that the wife likes to adorn herself with gold and silver jewelry, which causes me to pay the going rate, especially at Christmas gift time. But when we move to a barter economy, I actually believe that some form of digital currency will be used. The secure online marketplace is where value and wealth lies today, and not in useless ingots and coins, which can be stolen and must always be hidden and guarded.

A "secure online marketplace" is an oxymoron.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 18:17:01

vtsnowedin wrote:-snip-

...that must be why we are expecting to reach $414B in online sales this holiday season. The real question of course, is what will exist post-crash? I believe it will not include many B&M retail stores, aside from food stores. I think just about all remaining sales will be online, since fuel for travelling to the local B&M stores won't be affordable.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 20:09:51

KaiserJeep wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:-snip-

...that must be why we are expecting to reach $414B in online sales this holiday season. The real question of course, is what will exist post-crash? I believe it will not include many B&M retail stores, aside from food stores. I think just about all remaining sales will be online, since fuel for travelling to the local B&M stores won't be affordable.

And with what fuel will the online stores deliver their products to you? I think you will end up walking to the nearest B&M store that sits next to a rail line to pick up your order you had sent by rail to them with an online order. Perhaps instead of UPS coming by every day with one package for widely scattered houses It will come once a week with every house on the route getting a weeks worth of deliveries.
Gas is cheap today and we do things based on that fact. When the facts change we will switch to what works with the new facts.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Chris Martenson: The Great Oil Swindle

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 16 Dec 2017, 13:53:22

When it comes to the story we're being told about America's rosy oil prospects, we're being swindled. At its core, the swindle is this: The shale industry's oil production forecasts are vastly overstated. Swindle: Noun - A fraudulent scheme or action. And the swindle is not just affecting the US. It's badly distorted everything from current geopolitics to future oil forecasts. The false conclusions the world is drawing as a result of the self-deception and outright lies we're being told is putting our future prosperity in major jeopardy. Policy makers and ordinary citizens alike have been misled, and everyone -- everyone -- is unprepared for the inevitable and massive coming oil price shock. An Oil Price Spike Would Burst The 'Everything Bubble' Our thesis at Peak Prosperity is that the world’s equity and bond markets are enormous financial bubbles in search of a pin. Sadly, history shows

Chris Martenson: The Great Oil Swindle
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Revi » Wed 12 Sep 2018, 08:11:27

And with what fuel will the online stores deliver their products to you? I think you will end up walking to the nearest B&M store that sits next to a rail line to pick up your order you had sent by rail to them with an online order. Perhaps instead of UPS coming by every day with one package for widely scattered houses It will come once a week with every house on the route getting a weeks worth of deliveries.
Gas is cheap today and we do things based on that fact. When the facts change we will switch to what works with the new facts.

I think this present system will work until it doesn't. Then most things will be shipped by rail and the coasting schooner will come back into use. I plan on finding a pinky, because you can ground them out and unload their cargo. Not that fast, but it worked for many centuries!
Last edited by Tanada on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 09:30:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed broken quote
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 12 Sep 2018, 08:18:54

vtsnowedin wrote:I think you will end up walking to the nearest B&M store that sits next to a rail line to pick up your order you had sent by rail to them with an online order.

I see obesity rates dropping fast. Just how much diet coke can you carry when you have to walk to pick up your supplies :)
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Wed 12 Sep 2018, 08:56:53

.... or maybe

GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic Discussion