Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

How doomerism is bad for your health

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

How doomerism is bad for your health

Unread postby C8 » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 19:26:43

Per: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 123502.htm

People who have upbeat outlooks on life have significantly better cardiovascular health, suggests a new study that examined associations between optimism and heart health in more than 5,100 adults.

"Individuals with the highest levels of optimism have twice the odds of being in ideal cardiovascular health compared to their more pessimistic counterparts," said lead author Rosalba Hernandez, a professor of social work at the University of Illinois. "This association remains significant, even after adjusting for socio-demographic characteristics and poor mental health."

Participants' cardiovascular health was assessed using seven metrics: blood pressure, body mass index, fasting plasma glucose and serum cholesterol levels, dietary intake, physical activity and tobacco use -- the same metrics used by the American Heart Association to define heart health and being targeted by the AHA in its Life's Simple 7 public awareness campaign.

In accordance with AHA's heart-health criteria, the researchers allocated 0, 1 or 2 points -- representing poor, intermediate and ideal scores, respectively -- to participants on each of the seven health metrics, which were then summed to arrive at a total cardiovascular health score. Participants' total health scores ranged from 0 to 14, with a higher total score indicative of better health.
The participants, who ranged in age from 45-84, also completed surveys that assessed their mental health, levels of optimism, and physical health, based upon self-reported extant medical diagnoses of arthritis, liver and kidney disease.

Individuals' total health scores increased in tandem with their levels of optimism. People who were the most optimistic were 50 and 76 percent more likely to have total health scores in the intermediate or ideal ranges, respectively.

The association between optimism and cardiovascular health was even stronger when socio-demographic characteristics such as age, race and ethnicity, income and education status were factored in. People who were the most optimistic were twice as likely to have ideal cardiovascular health, and 55 percent more likely to have a total health score in the intermediate range, the researchers found.

Optimists had significantly better blood sugar and total cholesterol levels than their counterparts. They also were more physically active, had healthier body mass indexes and were less likely to smoke, according to a paper on the research that appears in the January/February 2015 issue of Health Behavior and Policy Review.

The findings may be of clinical significance, given that a 2013 study indicated that a one-point increase in an individual's total-health score on the LS7 was associated with an 8 percent reduction in their risk of stroke, Hernandez said.

"At the population level, even this moderate difference in cardiovascular health translates into a significant reduction in death rates," Hernandez said. "This evidence, which is hypothesized to occur through a biobehavioral mechanism, suggests that prevention strategies that target modification of psychological well-being -- e.g., optimism -- may be a potential avenue for AHA to reach its goal of improving Americans' cardiovascular health by 20 percent before 2020."

Believed to be the first study to examine the association of optimism and cardiovascular health in a large, ethnically and racially diverse population, the sample for the current study was 38 percent white, 28 percent African-American, 22 percent Hispanic/Latino and 12 percent Chinese.

Begun in July 2000, MESA followed participants for 11 years, collecting data every 18 months to two years.

The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute and the National Center for Research Resources funded the research.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: How doomerism is bad for your health

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 19:42:41

I'm not embracing doomerism. I'm embracing a realistic future for the fate of mankind. Unless we change the way we live and think drastically and quickly, we are doomed as a species. Unless we have a major shift in consciousness ASAP, we are doomed as a species. We (as a species) must realize that infinite growth in population and consumption is not possible on a finite planet, and live accordingly because without this, we are doomed as a species.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby eugene » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 19:48:54

Unfortunately in an infinitely unrealistic nation like the US, reality avoidance has led to where we're at. As you can see, I just plain get tired of it all. Unrealistic optimism kept me in a very destructive marriage for yrs, led to a private business collapse, buying of vehicles that weren't worth, etc. I'll take reality any time even if it's a bit on the "doomer" side. I avoid perpetually optimistic people at all costs.
eugene
Peat
Peat

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 20:34:06

I believe if we continue on our current path of infinite growth in consumption and population, we will soon experience a massive die off. And then our population will stabilize at a much lower level than the present population.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 20:44:01

This is true.

Stress, stress, stress -- whatever it's from -- is very bad for you.

Unfortunately -- the happiest people often have low IQs and don't think a whole lot, so there's the catch-22. You can't just force yourself to be stupid and obliviously happy.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AndyA » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 20:54:51

Meh.......... lumping doomers in the same category as depressed overweight people, who are most likely on anti depressants with many side effects is hardly proving the title of this post. Judging by the article I could just as easily say that being fit, active and healthy, with good heart condition makes you more optimistic. Correlation, causation blah blah blah.
What's depressing is that people actually take this shit at face value, and then try and convince others of its truth and importance.
If you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease. -Sen-ts'an
AndyA
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Peak_Yeast » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 21:54:34

Yeah - AndyA - until the researched group consists of peakoil.com members only it cannot be taken seriously. ;-)

I mean - its obvious to us all that its all the other doomers that are sickly mental cases.

My cardiovascular condition must be incredibly bad since i read my Limits to Growth about 30 years ago when I was 11 years old and saw the "truth".
"If democracy is the least bad form of government - then why dont we try it for real?"
Peak_Yeast
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby GregT » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 22:18:41

Positive thinking is so firmly enshrined in our culture that knocking it is a little like attacking motherhood or apple pie. Many persons swear by positive thinking and quite a few have been helped by it. Nevertheless, it is not a very effective tool and can be downright harmful in some cases. There are much better ways to get the benefits that positive thinking allegedly provides.

I am telling you now. Don't pick up that useless burden. Don't label what happens to you as bad. Then you won't need positive thinking and much of the stress in your life will simply disappear. Poof! Just like that.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cre ... is-bad-you
GregT
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Lore » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 22:35:12

I agree, learn to laugh at death. It's so funny when you think about it.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 22:47:31

The collapse is happening all around us. I don't think it is bad for my health to recognize that modern civilization is collapsing as we speak.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Lore » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 22:54:54

DesuMaiden wrote:The collapse is happening all around us. I don't think it is bad for my health to recognize that modern civilization is collapsing as we speak.

It is, if you can't see a doctor when you need one.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby AndyA » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 23:43:28

Peak_Yeast wrote:Yeah - AndyA - until the researched group consists of peakoil.com members only it cannot be taken seriously. ;-)

I mean - its obvious to us all that its all the other doomers that are sickly mental cases.

My cardiovascular condition must be incredibly bad since i read my Limits to Growth about 30 years ago when I was 11 years old and saw the "truth".

It doesn't even stand to reason that doomers are depressed, talk to doomers and a lot of them get a hardon at the thought of an apocalypse. Seven stages of grief, no doubt many stop at depression, but eventually you can get to acceptance, it's a relaxed place :)
If you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease. -Sen-ts'an
AndyA
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 23:45:21

I'm not depressed at all. I'm just being as optimistic as I can be. There is no point denying that collapse is all around us.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Narz » Sat 10 Jan 2015, 23:57:39

Sixstrings wrote:Unfortunately -- the happiest people often have low IQs and don't think a whole lot, so there's the catch-22. You can't just force yourself to be stupid and obliviously happy.

You think so? Most of the idiots I know seem to be pretty unhappy.

And yeah, the doomers are betting all their stress will keep them alive longer. I doubt it though. I suspect most of the folks worrying about zombies are more likely to die from lifestyle diseases (and stress is a lifestyle) than starving to death huddled in a closet or being mowed down by a post-apocolytic biker gang.

Serenity prayer & all that.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby GregT » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 05:40:11

"I agree, learn to laugh at death. It's so funny when you think about it."

It actually isn't very funny at all, unless you are a sick individual, especially when someone that you care for dies in your arms.
GregT
Coal
Coal

Unread postby GregT » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 06:03:52

Sixstrings wrote:Unfortunately -- the happiest people often have low IQs and don't think a whole lot, so there's the catch-22. You can't just force yourself to be stupid and obliviously happy.

So there is intelligent life in there after all. I'd just about given up hope.
GregT
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Lore » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 07:16:30

GregT wrote:"I agree, learn to laugh at death. It's so funny when you think about it."

It actually isn't very funny at all, unless you are a sick individual, especially when someone that you care for dies in your arms.

Exactly, my sarcasm emoticon wasn't turned on. :roll:

On the other hand, I have to agree that coming to terms with reality is one of the phases of acceptance and with it comes a great deal of peace of mind. Fear and angst is a result of dealing with denial and the unknown.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Pops » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 11:15:07

Doomerisim is bad. If by doom one means fated, certain, unavoidable death and destruction.

Realism however is completely different from doomerisim. The doomer believes bad things will happen and he is helpless to do anything about it.
The realist believes bad things can happen and tries to be as prepared as possible to deal with those bad things. Additionally he thinks that even if he is not prepared specifically he is at least somewhat prepared mentally for an event that pops his idealized bubble.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby GregT » Sun 11 Jan 2015, 15:40:11

Lore wrote:Exactly, my sarcasm emoticon wasn't turned on. :roll:

Sorry Lore, my bad.
GregT
Coal
Coal

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion