Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Ebola Orphans

Discussions related to the physiological and psychological effects of peak oil on our members and future generations.

Ebola Orphans

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 22 Oct 2014, 15:24:06

Liberia after over a decade of civil war was just recovering nicely when Ebola struck early in 2014. Now the war Orphans are being joined by a growing cadre of Ebola Orphans, children who had their entire families die of Ebola while they themselves recovered. They are in relatively good health, but alone in the world.

MONROVIA, Liberia - Those who catch the Ebola virus are not the only victims.

An abandoned building in Monrovia is the grim new home for these children orphaned by Ebola. Not only have these children lost their parents, but they are often shunned by their families and friends.

Touching these children could be lethal.

Nine-year-old Mercy Kennedy's mother died weeks ago. None of her neighbors wanted anything to do with her. Mercy ended up at a makeshift orphanage -- a blank stare on her face.

The center is run by Ebola survivors. Once recovered, they are immune to this strain of the disease and can touch the children.

Deacon David pulled through after a month long battle with the deadly virus. She told us caring for these rejected children has given her new purpose.

"I touch them they know that I really love them and we are still want (to be) together [sic]," she said. "They feel that we are are one when I touch them."
More at the hyperlink.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/finding-hop ... -by-ebola/
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ebola Orphans

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 22 Oct 2014, 15:29:44

Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ebola Orphans

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 22 Oct 2014, 17:48:54

This is in Today's Washington Post. Almost feels like the cause celeb tug at the heart strings manuver.

MONROVIA, Liberia — Berlinda Clark arrived by ambulance at Redemption Hospital, a hellish holding center for the sick and the dead. Also in the back of the vehicle was the corpse of her mother, who died before the child’s eyes on the trip over.

As luck would have it, Katie Meyler was outside Redemption that September day as well. Meyler, a New Jersey native who runs a nonprofit group in the slums here, brought the 4-year-old girl to live in the clean, newly renovated guest house her organization owns — a reversal of fortune akin to hitting the lottery in a place where the Ebola virus is out of control.

But then Meyler plucked another child, Miatta Urey, from a nearby home full of people who were sick with the Ebola infection and brought her to the guest house as well. Miatta soon began showing symptoms of infection and became seriously ill, posing yet another threat of exposure to Berlinda.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Medical Issues Forum