Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Can we stop/slow our assault on Earth, if so how?

Re: Can we stop/slow our assault on Earth, if so how?

Unread postby Cog » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 16:05:57

Timo wrote:
Cog wrote:Inside every doomer is a serial killer busting to get out.

Be careful with those personal confessions of yours.

Really?

Didn't you just say this a couple of posts ago:

Should be jail climate-change deniers?

That would be enjoyable, just to see the look on their face.

Doomers are natural social engineers with a dark side. The either want to imprison, kill, sterilize, or otherwise destroy most of the human population to create some sort of mud-hut utopia.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 16:28:20

Timo wrote:Here's a question that might move this thread forward to some sort of answer. Think about this first before you answer. I do have a direction for this question in mind. More questions will follow.

Which is more valuable for humanity? Money, or energy?

Bonus question: Which of those two answers is more important to humanity today?

Easy question. The answer is energy.
Money is just a medium of exchange which we use to buy or sell real things such as energy or food or someones labor. The pieces of paper or the balance on your credit/debit card only have value if you can buy something like a gallon of gas with it.
Bonus question is energy also.
Now compare energy to food or water or shelter and clothing and the question becomes more difficult.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 17:22:23

Okay guys I see that I am beating a horse to death here pardon the pun. But yes have to agree, we are the virus afflicting Earth and we must to a large degree be eradicated. I hope I am not giving some megalomaniac any ideas here or for that matter Ibon or Vox haha. Seriously, though I must admit I now cling to Ibon's thesis that consequences are the solution in order not to just get seriously depressed. Maybe, I just am rooting for my kind to make it. Is that sick? I do not know considering how my kind as behaved throughout our history. Maybe some of us are like parents no matter what our child does we are ready to forgive and forget.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 17:48:42

Cog wrote:
Timo wrote:

Really?

Doomers are natural social engineers with a dark side. The either want to imprison, kill, sterilize, or otherwise destroy most of the human population to create some sort of mud-hut utopia.

How do you define "doomer"?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 18:00:09

" I now cling to Ibon's thesis that consequences are the solution in order not to just get seriously depressed"

Well, thanks for being honest that, for you at least, 'clinging to' Ibon's thesis is more an (entirely understandable) emotional response rather than a rational assessment of its merits.

We all need to find comfort where we can get it. But I hope we can continue to distinguish that needed function from reasoned assessments of what seems most likely to unfold.

As to the depression thing, I've long said that if the sorry state of the world doesn't at least occasionally drive you to serious depression (or drinking...), then there is likely something seriously wrong with you!! :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby snoopdog » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 16:36:01

Non-European man not interested in this stuff. We don't live the life, man. How we can stop what we never started? :lol:
One of the bruthas with an opinion.
snoopdog
Wood
Wood

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 16:51:04

If you make over about $35,000 a year, you're almost certainly 'livin' the life.' (IIRC, something like that level of income puts one in the top 1% of global earners.)

Same if you do any flying, drive much, eat much meat (that you didn't raise yourself)...

Ancestry does not exempt one from ongoing harms we are doing.

But of course, there are some who have done much more, and classes of people who bear much greater current and historic responsibility than others.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Timo » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 17:42:05

Cog wrote:
Timo wrote:

Really?

Hey! I just said it would be fun to incarcerate the deniers, not KILL them!
Timo

Unread postby snoopdog » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 18:08:22

dohboi wrote:If you make over about $35,000 a year, you're almost certainly 'livin' the life.' (IIRC, something like that level of income puts one in the top 1% of global earners.)

Same if you do any flying, drive much, eat much meat (that you didn't raise yourself)...

Ancestry does not exempt one from ongoing harms we are doing.

But of course, there are some who have done much more, and classes of people who bear much greater current and historic responsibility than others.

How can be, bro? We no ras clats living like the man. Most non-Europeans, even in Babylon
snoopdog
Wood
Wood

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 19:13:56

If the shoe don't fit, don't wear it.

CO2, though, is blind to race, class, and every other human social distinction distinction.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby ennui2 » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 21:03:21

dohboi wrote:As to the depression thing, I've long said that if the sorry state of the world doesn't at least occasionally drive you to serious depression (or drinking...), then there is likely something seriously wrong with you!! :)

I would agree with that statement.

There came a point for me where I simply didn't have the energy left to feel fearful and depressed or obsessing on schemes to game may way through the bottleneck. Only by virtue of entering into this zone am I able to deal with all of the latest environmental doom without crawling into the fetal position.

The older I get the easier it is to deal with because I just have to wrestle with ordinary mortality anyway, but I still feel bad for what my daughter will need to confront, as she's nowhere near a Sarah Connor type.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby snoopdog » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 22:52:27

dohboi wrote:If the shoe don't fit, don't wear it.

CO2, though, is blind to race, class, and every other human social distinction distinction.

Naa badda mi. Dis is babylon problem.
snoopdog
Wood
Wood

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 18:38:46

onlooker wrote:Can we stop/slow our assault on Earth, if so how?

Can we? SHOULD we?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Lore » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 18:50:02

AdamB wrote:
onlooker wrote:Can we stop/slow our assault on Earth, if so how?

Can we? SHOULD we?

Yes we can, as far as slowing it down and making it less severe. As for the last question, only if you want life to continue on the planet resembling something like it is today.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate