Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

British, American banks plead guilty to market manipulation

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

British, American banks plead guilty to market manipulation

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 20 May 2015, 12:09:40

Big Banks Plead Guilty To Market Manipulation, Will Pay $5.8 Billion

The age of multibillion-dollar bank fines with no admission of wrongdoing is over. The Justice Department announced Wednesday morning that five banks pleaded guilty to market manipulation, while also paying billions of dollars in fines.

Barclays, Citigroup, J.P. Morgan and the Royal Bank of Scotland admitted to illegally distorting foreign exchange markets. The banks formed what they called "The Cartel" and aimed to set a key currency marker, known as "the fix," at mutually beneficial values.

The fix is set every day at 4 p.m. London time and is used in the more than $5 trillion currency market to determine the price of trades and the value of large institutional holdings. Traders at the banks used instant messaging chat rooms to discuss where to set the fix.

In addition to admitting guilt, the banks will also pay fines. Barclays will pay $650 million, Citigroup $925, million J.P. Morgan $550 million and RBS $395 million. Barclays will pay another $1.3 billion to New York State, federal and U.K. regulators.

A fifth bank, UBS, pleaded guilty to manipulating the London Interbank Offered Rate, which is called Libor. Libor is the most important international interest rate benchmark. UBS will pay $545 million in fines to the Justice Department and Federal Reserve. The value of more than $300 trillion in debt is tied to Libor.

The five banks will pay a further $1.6 billion in fines to the Federal Reserve.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/20/big-banks-guilty-fined_n_7342808.html

I wonder, did they *actually* CALL themselves -- "the cartel?" 8O

I wonder if these banks actually used that terminology, "the fix." 8O How on earth did they think this is legal? It's outright price fixing.

And -- how many billions did they make off "the fix?" Is this fine just chump change, cost of doing business?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: British, American banks plead guilty to market manipulat

Unread postby Timo » Wed 20 May 2015, 13:02:23

They knew it wasn't legal. They also knew the price of "opting out," because they knew who their competition was. Their "competition" were the other banks who were all calluding in the illegality of this endeavor. Opting out was a threat to everyone, and admittance to the cartel came with the warning that if anyone screwed anything up, they should sleep with one eye open. I'm very glad this happened. The necessesities of financial regulation are finally starting to sink in.

I just checked the market for their reaction, and my ETFs are tanking. That's good, because now i can buy more, and cash in when prices return to the pre-guilty charges.
Timo

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 20 May 2015, 13:12:55

"And -- how many billions did they make off "the fix?" Is this fine just chump change, cost of doing business?" Exactly. Perhaps they made 10X that amount. After all they say they did this in a $5 trillion market. That fine represents 0.12% of that total market. If the banks earned just a 0.3% leverage by the manipulation they made $15 billion IOW they netted $9 billion for the crime and no one is doing time. But the govt is happy: it got $5.9 billion and they didn't put the banks out of business because they are all "too big to fail". And the banks would be happy if they made $billion, no body went to jail and they are still in business.

Sounds like a win/win for the two major players in this drama. BTW did you notice they didn't mention who got cheated out of money by that manipulation? Best not to I suppose: they might want some of that $5.9 billion the govt got. LOL
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Timo » Wed 20 May 2015, 13:20:34

ROCKMAN wrote:BTW did you notice they didn't mention who got cheated out of money by that manipulation? Best not to I suppose: they might want some of that $5.9 billion the govt got. LOL

LOL????

!!!! I'm not laughing! I want my billion back! :twisted:
Timo

Unread postby clif14 » Wed 20 May 2015, 14:53:57

Anyone notice the banks also pay a $1.6 TRILLION fine to the Federal Reserve? The Fed is a private bank!!
clif14
Wood
Wood

Unread postby dolanbaker » Wed 20 May 2015, 16:39:44

Except when the driver's burnin' rubber :lol:
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vox_mundi » Wed 20 May 2015, 17:05:55

ROCKMAN wrote:"And -- how many billions did they make off "the fix?" Is this fine just chump change, cost of doing business?" Exactly. Perhaps they made 10X that amount. After all they say they did this in a $5 trillion market. That fine represents 0.12% of that total market. If the banks earned just a 0.3% leverage by the manipulation they made $15 billion IOW they netted $9 billion for the crime and no one is doing time. But the govt is happy: it got $5.9 billion and they didn't put the banks out of business because they are all "too big to fail". And the banks would be happy if they made $billion, no body went to jail and they are still in business.

Sounds like a win/win for the two major players in this drama. BTW did you notice they didn't mention who got cheated out of money by that manipulation? Best not to I suppose: they might want some of that $5.9 billion the govt got. LOL

Rock -

That would be $5 Trillion trade PER DAY.

Even without getting greedy, they netted $Billions and $Billions as Dr Sagan would say.

The fine is less than chump change - and it's probably tax-deductable
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kiwichick » Thu 21 May 2015, 05:18:00

F%#@ing Bastards

and I mean that sincerely
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Thu 21 May 2015, 09:27:03

Shocked I tell ya!

Actually there is something a little new here, it is in the title — they plead guilty. That hasn't happened since... the Clintons took office....

The guilty pleas by Citicorp and JPMorgan Chase mark the first time a major American bank has offered a similar type of admission in the U.S. since 1989, when Drexel Burnham Lambert admitted to mail and securities fraud.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 ... picks=true

Lizzy wants to break up the big banks, there is no good reason (aside from the revolving door to post- "public" service employment) to combine gambling houses with institutions that handle checking and passbook savings except that they can have the protection of the FDIC and still play the tables.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 21 May 2015, 11:24:18

Pops wrote:Actually there is something a little new here, it is in the title — they plead guilty.

Well that's a good point. The SEC and justice department actually pushed a case forward. Obama justice dept deserves credit for that. But who would a President Hillary pick, at treasury and Justice? Would it be someone friendly to the big banks, or maybe an actual ex employee of Goldman Sachs?

A general, over-arching problem is just that the Federal Reserve is like the Wizard of Oz. They really don't seem to give a sh*t about fairness, they don't see themselves as any kind of regulator but rather a fireman. So in other words the whole thing is corrupt and then the Fed is there just to keep it all running smoothly, maybe even throwing more money at the corrupt just to keep "the town from burning," but right and wrong and legal and illegal are really irrelevant.

SEC, the Fed, and Justice -- most of all the Fed -- are always hesitant to ever do anything just because they don't want to crash the whole system. It's kind of the system that Russia has, really; the corruption is so endemic and part of the system that it's too late, you can't just go in there and start doing honest accounting and doing everything right or you'd crash the whole thing down.

So anyhow, that's the federal reserve's view on it. Personally I think we could regulate more and uphold the law more, and that would be healthier in the long term. Look at business scandals in the past -- like Enron, and Arthur Anderson. The corruption has to be stopped, or it will just get worse.

Following the law is important. Honest accounting is important. If a retail store on main street has to follow the law and have honest books, then so should Citicorp and Barclays. Ultimately, an honest market and honest currency trading make a stronger market and system, in the long run.

A thing about the SEC, in years past, is just how ridiculously understaffed they are. Banker lobbyists want it that way, obviously, and they lobby to make sure SEC never gets any real teeth. And then, in the past, SEC is like a revolving door with the regulators being promised big money jobs with the hedge funds and banks they're "regulating."

Why does any of this matter to we, the little guy?

* Wreckless banking, and bank de-reg caused the great recession. I don't know about you guys but I lost about $80,000 value in my home from that. So that was a real, tangible cost to me -- if I had sold at top of the market before the crash, that would have been $80k more in my pocket. So that money is just gone, to the 1%.

But if you have good regulation, if we had just done things like Canada or Germans do -- RESPONSIBLE, not make-a-fast-billion-reckless way that British / American banking is -- then YOU DON'T HAVE booms and busts and Great Recessions and Great Depressions.

The 1% like the volatility, because that allows for enormous profit opportunity in the massive swings up and down. But that's not good for the country, as a whole. And we supposedly had learned these lessons already from the 1920s and great depression a hundred years ago. And then the wild booms and busts of the 1800s.

* Besides being so dangerous for the entire global economy, corrupt and reckless banking is also unfair to smaller investors. From smaller trading houses, down to the day traders and then the little guy trying to use forex or etrade. And our 401ks, etc.

If you're a little guy investor, there's no way you can compete against the largest banks doing this market manipulation. As a little investor, you cannot afford to hire MIT eminent mathemticians to write cutting edge algorithms that can siphon and cheat money out of the market. As a little guy, you can't afford the supercomputers that can do fraction of a sec high frequency trading.

As a little guy investor, you cannot compete against the big bank traders when they decide to form a "cartel" and they decide on "the fix."

Lizzy wants to break up the big banks

I'd definitely be for that, but realistically obviously that won't happen.

We can at least do some real regulation though. This is no different than environmental protection. Well, you have to protect the monetary and market ecosystem too or else the 1% really wil just utterly trash it.

It's an old story, never ends. Big business wants to trash the environment and the economy too, they don't care, their only motivation is maxmized profits into their pockets.

Republicans are for big business. Hillary Clinton and corporate democrats are, too. I'm not even sure if the Clinton family even has any friends, that aren't in the hedge fund business. The wall street and hedge fund world, are the Clintons' world. That's all they know. That's the world they live in.

People ought to elect some real Democrats again. Business wants to trash ecosystems -- eco and market -- and only a real old fashioned Democrat can stop that, and PROTECT ecological and market ecosystems so that they are sustainable.

(going with that analogy -- the market and finance really are an "ecosystem" -- and in that "ecosystem," the 99% are the endangered species. It's really no coincidence that the same people are also driving environmental "ecosystem" species to extinction, too.

This is just how they roll.

If you let them, they will pollute and trash the planet, for maximum profit.

If you let them, they'll wreck the economic ecosystem too, and drive you to extinction too, along with the black rhino.)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 21 May 2015, 12:00:18

If anyone's interested, there's a video from British regulators explaining the whole thing in technical detail, link in this article:

Here’s how ‘the cartel’ rigged the currency market

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — Regulators around the globe fined banks nearly $6 billion on Wednesday for rigging in the currency market.

But what, exactly, did they do?

The short version is that traders exchanged positions around the 4 p.m. “fix” — basically, the closing price — then manipulated the figure both upward and downward.

Britain’s Financial Conduct Authority put together this video on the bank that faced the largest fine of $2.4 billion, Barclays.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-how-the-cartel-rigged-the-currency-market-2015-05-20

In addition to "the cartel," the big bank traders also referred to themselves as "the players" and "the three musketeers." (it's odd, you can tell from the way they speak that they actually knew they were doing something wrong / illegal -- and the idiots used a chatroom. Rich kids with 10 million dollar bonuses, but idiots nonetheless. Ultimately it's 90% management's fault, like any other business.)

It all sounds juvenile, hotshot 20something wolf of wall street traders employed by these massive global banks. And they just run wild and have their chatrooms and a good old time -- but it's price fixing and manipulation and they broke the law.

In one chatroom they said "we all die together." Yeah, whatever, none of them are going to jail for this, they probably all got a million dollar bonus. A DUI can get a working class guy a couple days in jail -- but not financial crime.

It seems to me that the big banks just let their twentysomething traders run wild, a frat house of "wolves of wall street," and they just look the other way so long as it's making money.

We've seen this sh*t over and over again, with SBC, with Lehman and Goldman and all these people, this reckless banking is what led to the great recession.

Any business that's employing commissioned salesman type WOLVES -- really has to WATCH their standards and practices. It's one thing if it's a salesman selling shoes at Sears, but it's a whole other level of damage when we're talking about trillions of dollars.

Traders are like any other kinds of sales type people. They MUST be regulated by their employer. They MUST know the rules, not just have wink-nod management. This is no different than something like real estate, that business can get SO SHADY -- it takes a good honest broker, to manage his team.

It's just really outrageous how wild west, these biggest banks in the world are. They don't even have the good standards of a small town real estate broker. Just honest business, honest books, honest accounting, watching what the salesmen are out doing and they are not running wild, honest business practices.

ALEX BRUMMER: Why aren't the Barclays gangsters who were at the heart of the foreign exchange and interest rate scandals already in prison?

The Quaker founders of Barclays would be spinning in their graves if they knew that what was once the most trusted name in global banking was being dragged down by behaviour befitting of gangsters.

Even though the £285million fine imposed on Barclays by the City watchdog, the Financial Conduct Authority, is the biggest it has ever levied against any institution it is still dwarfed by the £1.25billion imposed by a platoon of American enforcers.

The Justice Department came down particularly heavily, imposing criminal penalties, because of the bank’s earlier promise to clean up its act.

In spite of the scale of the fines and the serious nature of the wrongdoing Barclays is still not issuing an unqualified apology to its investors and customers.

A weasel-worded statement from Mr Jenkins noted ‘we deeply regret that it occurred’ – as if this was a minor deviation from the bank’s normal behaviour.

It claimed that what had happened was ‘incompatible’ with the purpose and values of Barclays. The bitter truth is that no British bank has been more caught up in misconduct discovered since the financial crisis of 2007-08 than Barclays.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3090192/ALEX-BRUMMER-aren-t-Barclays-gangsters-heart-foreign-exchange-rate-scandals-prison.html

Really, THERE SHOULD BE JAIL TIME, at least A DARN MONTH FOR GOODNESS SAKE. That's actually all it takes, just some kind of consequence and serious crimp in someone's style for a little while, to keep a white collar guy honest! Doesn't need to be years in prison, jesus, throw them in the pokey for a few months and that will teach them and they would be A LOT MORE CAREFUL about the law in the future.

And MORE TO BLAME are the big wigs at these banks. THEY NEED TO DO SOME JAIL TIME, TOO.

Banking is very serious stuff. You're supposed to know the laws and follow them, and they have billions of dollars to have the best CEOs and managers and corporate legal teams. THERE'S NO EXCUSE FOR THIS, it was obviously all wink-nod. If a big business knows it can cheat and get away with it, THEN IT WILL.

There has to be consequences.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 21 May 2015, 12:55:51

"if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying." 8O

Jesus, I can just read those emails and see what's going on. They literally have no management.

They have salesmen running wild.

It's just stunning, these are the like the business practices of a used car dealership! But yet a used car salesman cannot bring down the world economy, these big banksters can and already did once!

I'm just really stunned actually, that the very top echelon of sales -- millions of dollars bonsues, best paid salesmen in the world -- have about the same standards and shady crap that the lowest class of salesman does.

And I know exactly what talk and behavior like this means, it's the same at a global trillion dollar bank is it is at a shady used car dealer -- they've got no management. They're just wolves, let loose and wild, and that's how salesmen are without management. They outright talk and joke about cheating clients. That is SO SO TACKY. But this is all billions of dollars, it's not a $5,000 used car. So I just find that stunning, really.

"Prolly shudnt put this on perma chat." Lol, indeed, he "prolly" "shundt" have. :roll:

And look where the one salesman says he doesn't tell his clients he "piped" them -- he says he "rounded up" instead. Oh my goodness these are used car salesmen, it's just so in your face and crass. 8O
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Kylon » Thu 21 May 2015, 20:07:05

What might happen as a result of this and other information about banking activities gets released is-

That people will start looking for, or forming alternative services or institutions to accomplish whatever the banks or financial markets are suppose to do. Some countries of course being bought by financial interest will impose regulations or laws preventing alternatives, in order to force their citizenry into institutions which may not serve their best interest.

However, as far as international money is concerned, financial markets may open in other countries where superior regulation, and better enforced ethics (due to laws) results in a greater degree of efficiency (in part due to less corruption), which in turn would cause more and more money to flow into these markets and these countries. This in turn would cause the countries who have corrupted financial systems to lose a good deal of financial capital, which in turn might force countries with corrupted financial systems to impose capital controls, or higher taxes on investments in foreign countries, in order to eliminate the gain that would occur in investing in those countries.
Kylon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 22 May 2015, 00:24:25

Sixstrings wrote:It's kind of the system that Russia has, really; the corruption is so endemic and part of the system

Do many Americans see it that way? What would it take, for the media to start calling them "oligarchs" ? Not likely, since the media are owned by oligarchs. The US equivalent is "robber barons".
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Fri 22 May 2015, 09:06:55

This is your basic monopoly, anti-trust crime; "competitors" colluding to fix prices.

I'm pretty sure that the reason for the harshness is anti-trust is a crime against "the system" rather than against the consumer.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Timo » Fri 22 May 2015, 09:12:58

kiwichick wrote:F%#@ing Bastards

and I mean that sincerely

I'm with you, Kiwi.

BTW, how's the new flag coming?
Timo

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 22 May 2015, 12:27:42

Little surprise here. Big Banking is the den of greed. Banks have been doing shady things since they have existed. I would not worry too much though this is just rich cheating rich for the most part. Of course at times they are catalysts for world-wide depressions and wars. Can everyone just keep their money under their pillow seriously :lol: :razz:
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics