Page added on July 10, 2019

Going Dark and Fake Voyages: The Tricks Used to Dodge Trade Sanctions

Going Dark and Fake Voyages: The Tricks Used to Dodge Trade Sanctions thumbnail

As the U.S. looks to enforce sanctions aimed at halting trade with states such as Iran and Venezuela, there’s increased scrutiny on the tricks being used to keep commodities flowing to and from blacklisted countries.

Ships vanishing from tracking screens, clandestine transfers on the high seas and fake destinations are among some of the tactics used to hide the business from authorities, according to analysts who track flows around the world. These maneuvers have helped Iran continue with about 300,000 a day of oil exports in June, half of which went to China, according to Bloomberg Intelligence.

Here’s a description of how some of those tricks work.

1. Going Dark

A common method to transport Iranian oil or North Korean coal with stealth is to turn off the Automatic Identification System, an electronic device that pinpoints a ship’s location. Known as going dark, a vessel flicks the switch before berthing and typically reappears days later, masking the location of its load or discharge port. Ships can sometimes still be tracked by satellites, but even that is limited by scope and weather.

“With the world’s oceans so vast, satellite imagery can only look in so many places at once, despite the technological advances in recent years,’’ said Tom Kenison, an analyst at industry consultant FGE . It’s also weather dependent as heavy cloud cover can obscure the view, he said.

2. Ship-to-Ship Transfers

A method that often goes hand-in-hand with going dark. A first vessel will take its clandestine cargo away from the country in question before transferring it to a waiting ship, all of this happening out of sight. The vessels will then sail in different directions. For about a third of Iranian exports of crude and oil products, more than one tanker typically handles a load before it’s delivered to its final destination, said Ilya Niklyaev, an analyst at data intelligence firm Kpler SAS.

Common locations for transfers are the Sharjah and Khor Fakkan anchorages off the United Arab Emirates, the Malacca Strait and Nipah anchorage off Indonesia and areas off Sri Lanka and the Maldives, according to Kpler and FGE. Tankers are also trying to be more discreet and are increasingly conducting transfers away from designated anchorages, FGE’s Kenison said.

3. Fake Destinations

Signaling the wrong destination to load or unload is another technique. Ships that intend to take cargoes from Iran may indicate their loading ports in sanction-free Qatar, Saudi Arabia or Iraq, while those vessels on their way to North Korea may show a port in north-east China as their landing point. Ships can keep changing their destinations and end up not berthing at any of them.

4. Rebranded Barrels

Iranian barrels can also be rebranded as oil from a nation free from sanctions such as Iraq, according to FGE’s Kenison. The countries share fields along their border and the crude has similar characteristics. Oil from these deposits can be trucked out of the Persian Gulf state to another port and documents forged to hide Iran as the origin, he said. Still, there is a level of risk. Tests are typically carried out on the crude at the landing port and if the parameters don’t meet the contract specifications, the cargo can be rejected.

Some Shipments Are Still OK

While this might not be a premeditated strategy aimed at skirting sanctions, some companies may continue to receive oil from sanctioned nations as a repayment for earlier investments in fields or other infrastructure. In China, for example, refiners are expected to continue lifting 250,000 barrels a day of Iranian oil for this reason, according to FGE estimates. China National Petroleum Corp., known as Sinopec, has invested in projects in Iran and Venezuela, another country under U.S. sanctions.

–With assistance from Hannah Dormido.

Chron

112 Comments on "Going Dark and Fake Voyages: The Tricks Used to Dodge Trade Sanctions"

1. Juanpee on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 1:18 pm

I’ve been keeping bees for 47 years Davy. Since you were a wee lad.

2. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 1:34 pm

Who remembers this from June 10, 2019. At least I talk a good game. Putting word salads into practice, not my problem.

I am spending less time on this lame unmoderated forum to concentrate on my own blog. I do want to thank all those who have attacked me with giving me material for growth. I have saved the best of my comments for my new blog. I have years worth of material. I have enjoyed moderating the worst of you and neutering your selfish useless agendas. I will still be here it is just I will be spending more time putting out a blog. I don’t expect much of a following with my blog. This is more a personal effort to assemble what I have learned over the last 10 years of formulating my REAL Green Deep Adaptation. Many of my ideas and lifestyles are not mine. I barrow what ever works. I do not claim anything either. It is an open source effort. Anyone can take what I am offering and use it however you want. Take my title if you like. For the stalkers here I hope you find my blog and visit the comment forum. It will be only lightly moderated to prevent juanpee identity theft and excessive cloggo spamming. LOL. There will be a prize for juanpee and annoymouse if you can stalk my blog. Double LOL. Anyway fuck my enemies and many thanks to those who contributed to my metamorphous.

I guess I could have joined the moderated section at PO dot com, but I knew I’d get my ass permanently banned. I’ll try not to let the door smack me up the backside on the way out.

Goodbye to ALL of you dumbasses.

3. Real Green DEEP Adaption on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 1:48 pm

Davy’s invasive bee species are competing with native pollinators for survival. In addition, its domestic bees are transmitting parasites to native pollinators. Whereas Davy uses insecticides and fungicides to ensure a healthy population of invasive bees for his own personal satisfaction, natives are on their own and the impact on their survival has been catastrophic.

REAL GREEN DEEP ADAPTION —-> My Ass

4. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 2:01 pm

“Earlier today I dipped a ladle in a 5 gal bucket of Real unprocessed honey off the farm to put on my Greek yogurt and walnut breakfast that says you are a Real dumbass.”

5. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 2:20 pm

Juanpee, your translation is a delusional opinion of an obsessive stalker who is triggered. Not a very legitimate opinion

JuanP is theft:
    “Translation: I don’t work for a living. Thank goodness I can sponge off of others. I spend my days farting around the imaginary farm to convince myself I am busy.In fact, I am holed up inside logging into PO.com every 5 to 10 minutes.”

6. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 2:27 pm

Juanpeee stupid idenity theft at 2:01.

You are just jealous because I am able to work and manage a 1000 acre farm and, neuter your bullivan extremism here on PO.com as efficiently as I do. If you didnt spend all day long sipping tequila on the beach and listening to cha-cha music, you might actually be useful for something besides making noise and dragging down my forum.

7. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 2:29 pm

“Real Green DEEP Adaption on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 1:48 pm”. This is JuanP I’d theft

“Davy’s invasive bee species are competing with native pollinators for survival.”

Dumbass, bees are part of the ecosystem now. Native pollinators are doing just fine around here especially with my restoration efforts

“In addition, its domestic bees are transmitting parasites to native pollinators.”
    Proof? Juanpee acts like he knows Missouri natural habitat. Go play on the bitch with you gay date Boney Joe.

“Whereas Davy uses insecticides and fungicides to ensure a healthy population of invasive bees for his own personal satisfaction, natives are on their own and the impact on their survival has been catastrophic.”

Treatments are very minimal and do no damage to other pollinators, wow, juanpee you are stupid.

“REAL GREEN DEEP ADAPTION —-> My Ass”
    Juanpee. Do you know what REAL Green means? Nope because you are anti-REAL Green. You are a Miami Bitch fake green.

8. JuanP id theft on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 2:34 pm

Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 2:27 pm

Juanpeee stupid idenity theft at 2:01.

9. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 2:41 pm

Not mine. I didn’t write any of the above.

Except for the really stupid delusional ranting and raving.

Those were all from me. You can ignore everything else.

10. JuanP identity theft on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 3:19 pm

Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 2:41 pm

Not mine. I didn’t write any of the above.

Except for the really stupid delusional ranting and raving.

Those were all from me. You can ignore everything else.

11. Truth Busted on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 4:32 pm

“You are just jealous because I am able to work and manage a 1000 acre farm.”

Last you told us it was 500 acres. Now, magically, it’s 1,000 acres.

Another example proving everything you claim is pure, unadulterated, bullshit.

12. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 4:40 pm

Truth Busted is a LIAR!

I’ve always maintained that I have over 500 acres. My granddaddy gave it to me fair and square.

13. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 4:55 pm

It’s REAL Green Deep Adaptation juanpee. Not Real Green DEEP Adaptation.

stupid dumbass

14. makati1 on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 5:23 pm

Are you prepping for the hurricane coming your way Davy? I see it in the Gulf.

More rain for the Midwest swamp? So well deserved! One does not brag about food independence without getting blow back. Only one of many “blow-backs” coming to America. Be patient! GO TRUMP!

15. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 5:31 pm

I meant 500 acres ok fucknuts. My cell phone number pad is a little sticky and sometimes things do not always come out they way they are supposed to, ok? It was the dumbass CELL PHONES fault and not mine. Understand?

Now shut up and get out of my America.

16. A lunatic conversation on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 6:24 pm

Truth Busted on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 4:32 pm

“You are just jealous because I am able to work and manage a 1000 acre farm.”
    Last you told us it was 500 acres. Now, magically, it’s 1,000 acres.
    Another example proving everything you claim is pure, unadulterated, bullshit.
    Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 4:40 pm

Truth Busted is a LIAR!
    Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 4:55 pm

It’s REAL Green Deep Adaptation juanpee. Not Real Green DEEP Adaptation.
    stupid dumbass
    makati1 on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 5:23 pm

Are you prepping for the hurricane coming your way Davy? I see it in the Gulf.
    Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 5:31 pm

Now shut up and get out of my America.

17. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 6:27 pm

Makato, you stupid fuck. Why would I prep for a hurricane? It is July so I hoe the remnants bring some rain. Your super typhoon day is near. Be patient fuck nut.

makati1 on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 5:23 pm

Are you prepping for the hurricane coming your way Davy? I see it in the Gulf.
    Dav

18. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 6:38 pm

Oops, sorry for losing my shit again everyone.

19. More juanpee sock puppeering on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 6:47 pm

A lunatic conversation on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 6:24 pm

20. makati1 on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 6:49 pm

Keep pushing guys. I think Davy is near the mental breakdown cliff. One more shove… GO TRUMP! Make America Third World Again! LMAO

21. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 6:52 pm

I am spending less time on this lame unmoderated forum to concentrate on my own blog. I do want to thank all those who have attacked me with giving me material for growth. I have saved the best of my comments for my new blog. I have years worth of my own material.

I’m the greatest!

22. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 7:03 pm

Like you guys have said before, this forum would be better titled Peak Davy dot com. Cause it’s all downhill for me from now on.

23. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 7:05 pm

Well, makato, if you call obsessive stalking and ad hom attacks pushing then you are just as mentally ill as juanpee. I win makato everyday I am here. You and the gang lose. You should be proud makato for supporting this mockery that has destroyed this once enlightening forum.

24. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 7:26 pm

I have to admit though Makati1, the forum never would have got this messed up if I learned to have some respect for other people’s opinions. Kind of like why the US Empire is going down and on it’s way out. United we stand. Divided we fall.

25. juanpee on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 7:46 pm

“I win makato everyday I am here.”

Therein lies the problem Davy. This discussion forum is not all about you.

26. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 7:53 pm

“I have to admit though Makati1, the forum never would have got this messed up if I learned to have some respect for other people’s opinions.” JUANPEE IDENTITY THEFT

LOL, go back a few years juanpee and you will see that it was SEVERAL of you fuck nuts attacking me just because I called out you dumbass anti-Americans. That is the issue. Group bias trying to censor anyone who disagrees with you. I have put all of you down and I am still here. You can’t get rid of me. You have dedicate a year of your mindless life to stalking me with meaningless comments by the thousand. LMFAO. What a fucked up fool you are juanpee. I will be here long after you drift into a serious depressive period where you will not have the energy to waste being stupid. I can’t wait UNTILL you are so fucking depressed you don’t even check in. VICTORY

27. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 7:55 pm

“Therein lies the problem Davy. This discussion forum is not all about you.”

projecting fuck nut. You are an egotistical lunatic trashing this forum. Please reference the last time you contributed a on topic comment. That says it all.

28. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 7:55 pm

Oops, sorry for losing my shit again everyone.

I really do need professional help.

29. JuanP on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 7:59 pm

OOps, I am JuanP not Davy. this is my comment:

Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 7:55 pm

Oops, sorry for losing my shit again everyone.

I really do need professional help.

30. makati1 on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 8:00 pm

come on juan, you have played enough today. Let some conversations start. We can’t get anything in edgewise with all your Davy attacks.

31. juanpee on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 8:03 pm

32. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 8:04 pm

“India may need major rainfalls to reverse its economic slowdown”
    https://tinyurl.com/yyksybee cnbc

“India’s agriculture sector accounts for around 14% of the country’s $2.7 trillion economy and 42% of total employment, said Rajiv Biswas, chief economist in Asia Pacific for consultancy IHS Markit. With around 55% of India’s arable land dependent on precipitation, the amount of rainfall during the current monsoon season could sway economic activity in the agriculture sector and industries linked to it. That slow start to the monsoon harvest season has prompted the government to raise minimum support prices for all of the current season’s crops to help support farmers’ incomes, according to local media. ndia needs this year’s monsoon season to deliver heavier rainfall that will boost farm output and economic growth — but the country has been disappointed so far. Asia’s third-largest economy ended June — the first month of the monsoon season — with total rainfall 33% below its 50-year average, according to Citi, which cited data from the India Meteorological Department. Rain has picked up in July and the total rainfall this month will affect India’s agricultural output and overall economic momentum, analysts said.”

33. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 8:05 pm

“juanpee on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 8:03 pm
    juanpee is not a person Davy, but a large growing group of individuals who have had enough of your bullshit.”

34. JuanP on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 8:07 pm

Oops, this might be a zero hedge article. I can’t find it but it must be

“India may need major rainfalls to reverse its economic slowdown”
    https://tinyurl.com/yyksybee cnbc

35. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 8:22 pm

Obviously I know better than all of the rest of you. That’s why I’m known by everyone here as the exceptionalturd. Extra added bonus? I’m a total and complete dumbass, with severe emotional and psychological baggage.

Oh well. There goes the discussion forum. Cause it’s all about me.

dumbasses

36. JuanP on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 8:23 pm

Obviously this is JuanPee

Oh well. There goes the discussion forum. Cause it’s all about me.

dumbasses

37. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 8:30 pm

Obviously that was not juanpee, but I’m too stupid to figure out that almost everyone here wants me gone. But I’ll keep on playing my childish games with y’all cause I’m a selfish narcissistic prick.

38. More Davy ID Theft on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 8:50 pm

makati1 on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 8:00 pm

39. Give the man his prize on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 8:52 pm

BINGO

40. Duncan Idaho on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 8:59 pm

Yep, seems the proletariat lives in:

41. JuanP on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 9:42 pm

Delusional Davy “You mean multiple delusional personalities that are engaging themselves in a big personalty disorder.”
    You are projecting again, Exceptionalist! LOL!

42. DerHundistLos on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 10:09 pm

Trump Has Killed More Civilians with Illegal Drone Strikes in 9 Months Thank Obama Did in 8 Years.

43. Davy on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 10:48 pm

Why do they hate me? I mean, come on, I know that I’m always right and everyone else is always wrong. Stands to reason.

Please help me by having me institutionalized. Please send two guys in white uniforms with butterfly nets to my single wide trailer over by the town dump.

Jesus loves me this I know for the bible tells me so.

dumbasses.

Real Green DEEP Adaption

44. makati1 on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 11:25 pm

“A Missouri suspect was hiding from police. A loud fart gave him away”

Too many beans Davy? LOL

45. juanpee on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 11:36 pm

“They” don’t hate you Davy. ‘They’ feel sorry for you.

Please do everyone a favor, including yourself and your poor family, and get help.

46. JuanPee on Thu, 11th Jul 2019 11:58 pm

I agree. You need help Davy.

47. Cloggie on Fri, 12th Jul 2019 12:27 am

Breakfast with the DailyMail:

“I will stand up to Trump, vows Boris: Tory leadership frontrunner says he will be ‘robust’ in dealing with the US and claims ousted British envoy Kim Darroch has his ‘full support’ – despite failing to back him before resignation”

Fascinating! The Tories want to get tough with Trump, with the EU, with Putin-Russia, with Iran and of course the South China Sea needs to be secured for free tress-passing of Anglo navies. England rules the waves again! With only 82,000 soldiers! How do they do it?

(Pssst, the country has gone bonkers)

“Tommy Robinson protesters are set to target his PRISON: Ministry of Justice is braced for more chaos following riots outside the Old Bailey and Parliament after he was jailed for nine months for contempt”

I would be highly surprised if the lads can more than hit a dent in a package of butter, but nevertheless: good luck to you all while storming the UK Bastille and give the bastards a hard time!

#FreeTommy!

“‘If a male PM weeps he’s a patriot. If a woman does, they ask why’: Brexit regrets, digs at Boris, and yes, mistakes. Theresa May’s last No 10 interview reveals a leader whose decency was never in doubt”

It is difficult not to feel sympathy for one of the few reasonable people left in Westminster, who was forced to get something done she never had her heart in. For good reason, as the English commoners are soon going to find out.

“Top Remainer Amber Rudd drops her opposition to No Deal Brexit – sparking speculation that she could be appointed Boris’ foreign secretary”

Boris is coming and the career politicians change their tune.

“Jeremy Corbyn is accused of staging a bizarre stunt to dodge questions about Labour’s anti-Semitism crisis as he walks out his house with two women wildly shouting in SPANISH and gesticulating at reporters”

Where most politicians in Westminster are standard English anti-European (and should be treated accordingly by continental Europe), Corbyn is the only really interesting character in English politics (the other interesting one, Sturgeon, is Scottish). Will Corbyn pull a “1290-King Edward” and throw the Jews out, at least from politics, after they were brought in again by Cromwell and the Dutch? We keep our fingers crossed for Jeremy (Corbyn, not this Hunt idiot).

The state of the British elite latest:

“MPs’ staff ‘have their breasts grabbed, buttocks slapped and are treated like b**ches’: Shocking dossier reveals how sexual harassment is a ‘necessary evil’ for women in Parliament put up with”

48. Cloggie on Fri, 12th Jul 2019 1:09 am

“My aim is the United States of Europe”

While Britain is looking for a fight with Iran, Russia, China and the EU, the EU could hoist into the saddle someone who wants the United States of Europe (USE). Britain removing itself from Europe is paving the way for just that:

Or as Britain’s best mind Michael Heseltine has put it:

“Lord Heseltine suggests Brexit vote allows Germany to win World War Two”

That’s exactly right Michael! Geopolitics is about shuffling with alliances only, before the next armed confrontation.

We all remember the brilliant British cartoon in Punch from over a century ago:

Entente Cordiale: Britain in 1904 ending 1000 years of hostility towards France and walking away with the French bitch for no other intention than to destroy Germany, that had superseded Britain on world-markets with “made in Germany” magic.

Now in 2019, Germany is walking away with 500-60 = 440 million Europeans.

Poor Britain.

And then there are 200 millions Slavs who can’t wait to join the European project. And then there are 1400 million Chinese who are heavily invested in Eurasia and an alliance with Russia and the prospect of capturing Australia in case the US goes belly up (CW2) and solving their overpopulation problems in one stroke (Australia is destined to become to China what North-America was to Europe: a dumping place for the Too Many).

WW2 was a Jewish planetary power grab after they got hold of the two European side shows America and USSR between 1917-1933.

WW3 will be Eurasia against the Anglos.

In the coming years you don’t want to be an Anglo and certainly not a Jew.

P.S.: I would prefer a lighter, right-wing more decentralized Gaullist/Putinist European Confederation (“Europe of the Fatherlands”), but than again, history is not about me and the USE is not yet a fact.

49. Davy on Fri, 12th Jul 2019 6:02 am

“Green growth’ is not enough”
    https://tinyurl.com/y67ws78y ecologist

“The empirical data and theoretical literature is both overwhelmingly clear and sobering: there is no evidence supporting the existence of a decoupling of economic growth from environmental pressures on anywhere near the scale needed to deal with environmental breakdown. This is the conclusion of the new report, Decoupling debunked: Evidence and arguments against green growth as a sole strategy for sustainability. The authors also explain that there are at least seven reasons to be sceptical about the occurrence of sufficient decoupling in the future: rising energy expenditures, rebound effects, problem shifting, the underestimated impact of services, limited recycling potential, insufficient and inappropriate technological change, and cost shifting. The fact that decoupling on its own, without addressing the issue of economic growth, has not been and will not be sufficient to reduce environmental pressures to the required extent is not a reason to oppose decoupling (in the literal sense of separating the environmental pressures curve from the GDP curve) or the measures that achieve decoupling.”

“Sustained growth is not sustainable This scientific finding is strongly at odds with the eighth Sustainable Development Goal (SDG8), which aims to “promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth”. While almost all SDGs have very important goals and targets that humanity desperately needs to achieve, SDG8’s pursuit of the economic growth is undermining the possibly of achieving the others…Researchers have some ideas about the truly sustainable way forward. The main conclusion of ‘Decoupling debunked’ is that increasing efficiency only makes sense if it is part of a wider pursuit of sufficiency, which is the direct downscaling of economic production and consumption in those sectors where it is needed most.”

50. Davy on Fri, 12th Jul 2019 6:03 am

This article highlights the REAL Green Deep Adaptation basis that fake green will not save the planet. This means REAL green. REAL Green says do what you can relatively speaking in regards to your status quo position. Go local with your efforts and you will naturally see a reduced footprint. This is not going to save the planet but it has the potential make you as an individual more sustainable. Focus your eco efforts locally and you can make an impact. The bigger picture is lost but the local is wide open for improvements. This is significantly about attitude as well as actions. It is about leaving the denial of fake greens. REAL Green admits we are trapped in ecological decline as well as the decline of the human civilization. Deep Adaptation based upon the realization that mankind will not fake green itself out of this ecological decline means a collapse process is unstoppable. We can degrowth but that also presents a collapse variable. Economic decline means less resources to combat ecological decline so at least initially this means worse ecological decline. A poorer world is a dirtier world. We cannot degrowth without initiating a collapse process. Degrowth is inevitable because that is the result of a collapse process. Deep Adaptation says begin preparations for a less affluence personally and with your community.

This is a classic catch 22 trap that is adapted to instead of fought. Deep Adaptation says collapse now and in place in a relative manner. Use the status quo to leave it. Take the best of the current modern way of life and leverage it to leave it. This means efficiency efforts, conservation, and renewables. It means education, community building, and spiritual preparation for hard times ahead. The REAL Green is about triage, salvage, and hybridization. Combine the best of the old and new. REAL Green is about harvesting and gathering of solar energy through farming, gardening, and renewables. This part of the effort is difficult because it is more expensive with less return than the status quo. You can save money and make more money with the status quo but you will be less resilient. There is a price to be paid for resilience and that is less affluence and more hard work. The benefit is meaning and satisfaction but the tradeoff is less comfort and affluence. The status quo is cheaper and easier. The difference concerns going local and a return to the old ways of low energy harvesting through biomass. It is about utilizing the modern with some of the excellent tech available like renewables and efficiency efforts.

REAL Green says this will be a relative effort. Many people do not have the money or the time to do this fully but they can do something. The minimum is about the attitude of why you should be REAL Green and do Deep Adaptation. If you have the money and the time then you should be doing this for the planet, your local, and your significant others. REAL Green says get out of the finger pointing because it does not matter. Avoid the conflict of protest that only puts you in harm’s way. Don’t look for trouble because plenty of it will be around anyway. Yield to the greater powers that are striving to increase control and manipulation. Try to remove yourself from the corruption cycle. REAL Green says make an effort to leave bad behavior and embrace the good. This is in regards to your own piece of mind and what is better for the planet. Stop discretionary travel for leisure and curiosity. Find leisure and educational growth locally. Stop high energy activities that do not support your local effort at sustainability and resilience. REAL Green says to do this in a relative way since many of your significant others will remain embodied in the status quo narrative of growth and techno optimism. Teach them without telling them and lead by silent example. Show REAL Green wisdom by saying “No” to more status quo but don’t be extreme about it. REAL Green says live the status quo both materially and with relationships but opt out where you can and utilize the rich resources available where you can.

Build up your REAL Green monastery of tools, supplies, and a library of knowledge for the coming dark ages. This is where your doomstead and prep efforts are realized as your own personal work of art and meaning. You can be a small beacon of sanity and meaning once irrationality and dysfunction become the dominant forces. As economic abandonment proceeds your low energy harvesting of biomass will then have greater economic value. Do Deep Adaptation in regards to lifeboats and hospices. We do not know when this huge self-organizing system of globalization that has delocalized the world will fail. It is failing now so climb on the gradient and ride it down naturally and locally. At some point people are going to die sooner that are close to you. Medicine and the safety nets we have become reliant on will be diminished or gone at some point. This means live healthy and exercise in preparation for tough times. Prepare yourself for this so you can assist them in this unfortunate transformation of the coming collapse process. The planet and the web of life will support you because that is where real meaning is.