Page added on August 8, 2018

Its Not The Heat. It’s The Stupidity

Its Not The Heat. It’s The Stupidity thumbnail

With your sweaty host, Category5.

(Thanks, J.T., J.S. and T.M. for the donations. Its been put to good use for a future article)

There is only one subject worth talking about. THE subject. The Heat.

Ya. I know I said I wouldn’t be back till the winter once all the chores and Honey, Do before the Apocalypse, lists of the year.

Much of those tasks haven’t been getting done though. It’s TOO FUCKING HOT. I have been bogging down. It has been like trying to build things while dog paddling through a swimming pool of humidity. I feel like Golom. “The light. It Burns me, Precious”. I have been hiding out in the house to avoid dying. I work in 15-20 minute spurts, then come back into the house drenched in sweat. Sweat that does not evaporate. That does not cool the body.

More so, there is almost no wind. The irony is, one of those, Honey, Do tasks is to build a short tower to put up the wind generator that has been sitting in storage for the last 5 years. We live on a wind path… but no wind.

Stationary weather fronts. The jet stream bogs down. It is the exact same issue that made last winter, fucked up cold.

It was nice that people kept revisiting my epic drunken rant, C5 Explains Why It Is So Fucking Cold, https://darkgreenmountainsurvivalresearchcentre.wordpress.com/2017/12/31/c5-explains-once-again-why-it-is-so-fucking-cold-2017-2018-its-hurricane-harvey-part-ii-stupid/

I only bring it up because I pointed out how that cold was related to last years heat and hurricanes. This year is no different. It is connected. The weather didn’t magically appear from the sky god. WE did this. We all did it. I did it. I accept responsibility for my part.

Still, some of the things I have heard said make me face palm. Its not the heat. Its the stupidity.

One of those epic face palm moments, was a popular article that got around that said something like, “We cant fully attribute this heat wave to global warming. Its also about the warm oceans and the jet stream…To early to tell…”

ARE……..YOU………..FUCKING………KIDDING ME! Well, bend me over and fuck me slowly. Clearly, the human race is too stupid to live. It takes “A Special Kind Of Stupid” to not be able to connect the warm ocean to heat or jet stream to warm air and ocean.

Its not even worth me wasting my time to complain about the tighty whity righty, man made global warming deniers.

The Super Face Palm inspiring moments are coming from the denialist LEFTIES. You heard me correct. The lefties. The progressives. The ones who’s personal identity of moral superiority comes with the idea that they believe in global warming and they are fighting those evil capitalists. Yup. They have a different type of denial. going on… but it is just as lethal… if not more. The devil is in the details.

Denial- Wind and Solar power will save us. Electric cars will save us. Revolution against the capitalists or nationalists or republicans will save us. The right type of government will save us. Technology that doesn’t exist will save us.

I call this DENIAL, not because of the impossibility of those things happening, but because its deceptively passive. They are not doing the needful because… the devil in the details… they are waiting for someone else to save them while doing NOTHING. Its in the descriptive parameters of the phrasing.

Scientists aren’t going to save you. The technology doesn’t exist for a reason…because it doesn’t exist. Worse, by repeating this shit over and over, its teaching others to be passive…waiting for salvation, while putting all their focus on blaming others and politicing.

And that gets us to our first read. Other than that the heat is present constantly in my thinking as I wade through my own survival adaptions… and just strait up survival, the reason I decided to do this post… instead of just waiting for the winter to write… was to post this article-

Time For Some Climate Honesty-Half Truths Are Doing No Good- once again, by Chris Martenson

Another Honorable Mention read, encase you missed it.

(Finally, Civilizational collapse is tied in… but he ruins it at the end with the worn out “Solution”)

Before I get to the final read, there is one other face palm moment I hear from The Denialist Progressives. Its, “We cant address Climate Change till we address inequality”.

Though, it is a logical position, it’s sort of like saying we will wait until Jesus returns and the Kingdom comes down to earth. Inequality aint going away. Its baked into the cake. In fact, it’s about to get a whole lot worse with climate change.

Hey, “Save as many as you can” is one of my catch phrases. But once you have saved as many as you can, if you take just one more person, everyone dies. You row the lifeboat away from the drowning before they overwhelm the lifeboat. You close the gate and put armed guards in the towers. Its hard to hear…but it really is the only “Moral” option left.

So, this next awkward read goes into the, “I am trying to scare the shit out of you”, category, to shake you from DENIAL. Consider it an intervention.

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/forum/index.php/topic,11419.msg159010.html#msg159010        (Scroll down once you get there)

Top lines to pay attention to are- “Just like that….. there’s hundreds of millions on the way when things get bad enough.

They will overwhelm the borders, and “society” will double in size over a few short weeks… collapsing all infrastructure – water, sanitation, roads, housing, police…..

The police were stretched with the 60 million people of the UK, they are completely ineffective at 110 million.

The UN can only drop aid by air, and gangs form, most people getting no food, the gangs hording everything.

The army can’t enter due to world condemnation of military involvement.

People starve, crime is rampant, disease everywhere.

And in one short month, society is reduced to the level it would be after a nuke attack.”

And that’s just scratching the surface. Consider the social chaos we have recently seen as people freak out over a few million refugees. Now change millions to billions as large swaths of the earths surface can no longer sustain life, and what can sustain life, can’t feed them without being stripped of future life or  regenerative sustainability. The real issue isn’t really carbon input. Its too many humans. Humans that cannot survive… if not for all that carbon input.

And that is why no body is in any big rush to halt Anthropomorphic Climate Change.

Just a reminder. The heat this year is the result of carbon inputs from  30 years ago. This is as good as it will ever be. If you cut off all industrial society today, ALL of it, You still have 30 more years of warming to happen (not including the feedback loops of methane… and ozone depletion)  just to stop from getting worse and it will remain that way for umpteen thousands of years.

All the worst parts of the Book of Revelations comes to mind.

So…what am I doing to save my own life, back on my doomstead. Back to the irony of me putting up this wind tower. I haven’t been all that exited about doing this job.. One of the down sides of wind power (besides the battery storage issues) is that it is a mechanical device. That means, they wear out quickly. It will require lots of upkeep and replacement parts. Parts mined, shipped, industrial manufactured, shipped again, warehoused and shipped again. Its nothing remotely close to renewable or carbon friendly. Lets not fool ourselves. I don’t. But it will make a cool lawn ornament that will be the envy of our morally superior progressive friends and  paranoid, tighty righty survivalists alike. I just wont tell them when it breaks down and it’s really just just a huge lawn Whirly Gig. Hopefully, it doesn’t launch itself into our, also very sexy, solar panels or greenhouse, during the next hurricane, super storm or micro-burst…. or burst into flames from lack of oiling, spewing burning plastics into the tinder dry grasses, right at the point of high winds.

This year has all been about upgrades to do with super storms. Next year, I have decided to completely change direction and fully put my mind to FIRE STORMS… because that is also coming. That is even more daunting.

So….What have I really been doing to save my own life? Yesterday, I began opening a hole in the floor of our house to get underneath. I can only belly crawl to a few places. I have been digging on my belly, hopefully getting to the place where I have a place to sit upright in the cooler earth. I’ll dig a small test hole to see if it just fills with melt water next spring before risking digging further. We’ll see.

Well, back to my hidey hole. See you in the winter unless some other disaster forces my pen.

Flood_destroying_the_world

Doomstead Diner

30 Comments on "Its Not The Heat. It’s The Stupidity"

1. joe on Wed, 8th Aug 2018 10:15 am

Oh but wait but I thought green energy will save humanity and wind power was greater than the power of my farts.

2. Ghung on Wed, 8th Aug 2018 10:37 am

Green energy won’t save humanity,, but wind power IS greater than the power of your farts.
    You’re batting 500.

3. twocats on Wed, 8th Aug 2018 10:42 am

It would have required a true global effort to transition successfully to RE, but considering the “West” has spent the majority of that time a’raping, a’pillaging, a’warrin’, its hard to see how anyone believed that could have happened.

4. Boat on Wed, 8th Aug 2018 11:23 am

2 cat

Would have? Renewables are in their infancy. Give tech a few more years and politicians a few more climate disasters and FF will lose it’s charm.

5. Category5 on Wed, 8th Aug 2018 11:55 am

Hello. This is C5 from the Dark Green Mountain Survival Research Centre. I just noticed my latest article was cross posted here. Wow. That is some big numbers of readers. Thanks.

More of my posts can be read here- https://darkgreenmountainsurvivalresearchcentre.wordpress.com/
    Welcome

6. JuanP on Wed, 8th Aug 2018 3:46 pm

I have been trying to work outdoors these past weeks and it has been brutal. The heat and humidity are unbearable. We are all constantly taking breaks, drinking water, searching for shade, and working early and late. The greenhouse is slowly getting assembled and the new fields are being cleared, but nobody wants to work in the early afternoon, myself included.

7. Sissyfuss on Wed, 8th Aug 2018 7:06 pm

Juan, the greenhouse is already assembled and has worked brilliantly for millions of years. But we have over fertilised it, didn’t provide enough shade, and allowed too many pests entry.

8. Roger on Wed, 8th Aug 2018 7:51 pm

“All the worst parts of the Book of Revelation comes to mind.”

Yep.

“The fourth angel poured out his bowl upon the sun, and it was given to it to scorch men with fire. Men were scorched with fierce heat; and they blasphemed the name of God who has the power over these plagues, and they did not repent so as to give Him glory.”
    ‭‭Revelation‬ ‭16:8-9‬ ‭NASB‬‬

9. Category5 on Wed, 8th Aug 2018 8:40 pm

Well…I was thinking 6:6 “A quart of wheat for a denarius (a day’s wages)”

….but that will work

10. Cloggie on Thu, 9th Aug 2018 12:40 am

Finally, lots of rain expected for today, click “24 uur”

11. GregT on Thu, 9th Aug 2018 12:50 am

“Finally, lots of rain expected for today,”

Lucky for you Cloggie. The last three forecasted rainfall events here didn’t happen, and although we did get a couple of days of closer to historical normal average temperatures, the heat wave continues, and it just keeps getting dryer and dryer.

I sincerely hope that you get lots of rain.

12. makati1 on Thu, 9th Aug 2018 1:30 am

GregT/Cloggie, I wish I could send some of our rain to you. It has been slowing down construction on the farmhouse. It is still the dry season here but that only means that it rains once a day instead of most of the day. We average 300mm/month. That’s about a foot per month for the American system thinkers.

13. Cloggie on Thu, 9th Aug 2018 1:35 am

Thanks guys, keep you all posted.

14. Cloggie on Thu, 9th Aug 2018 1:52 am

Seasonal storage of heat taking off in the Netherlands:

Underground “swimming pool” of 35m diameter to be build in the coming months in order to warm 500 apartments.

Background info:

15. makati1 on Thu, 9th Aug 2018 2:09 am

GregT, the construction crew working on our farmhouse have been working 8-10 hour days in 88F to 95F temps and 80+% humidity. When it showers, they keep working.

AND… the laborers get P300 PER DAY. The skilled get P500 PER DAY. That is about $6 and $10 at today’s exchange. AND, they are happy to get it.

I might add that the only tools are hand, not machine. The electric welder is the only machine on the job. Picks, shovels, wheelbarrows, etc. are the tools being used to move tons of diet and tons of concrete.

16. makati1 on Thu, 9th Aug 2018 2:33 am

BTW: I have not seen so many typhoons forming north of the Ps as I have this year. And they are all hitting some part of Japan. Maybe we will be spared as the warming oceans move north? I hope so.

Check out the temps here:

Ocean temps in the 80s as far north as Hokkaido. Ditto for NYC. Where will the hurricanes form this year? Bermuda? We shall see.

17. Antius on Thu, 9th Aug 2018 4:11 am

“Seasonal storage of heat taking off in the Netherlands:”

Interesting development. A very cheap form of energy storage: essentially latent heat within a very cheap bulk material – water. This is an essential development towards the greater use of intermittent renewable energy in European countries, because it provides a load that is capable of absorbing intermittent power by switching heating elements on and off. Constancy of power is unimportant; over a period of months the only thing that matters to the temperature of the water is the total heat absorbed during that time, not the heating pattern on an hourly basis. It is therefore a slew load.

Given that wind and solar electricity is intermittent on an hourly and seasonal basis, the key to matching supply and demand would appear to be slew loads, which can make use of intermittent energy and be switched on and off as supply rises and declines, respectively. Electricity storage is something that is quite expensive on a kWh basis and in a sensibly designed system, would only be used to smooth relatively short term fluctuations. The most important changes that must be adopted are on the demand side.

We can divide energy end-use applications into classes, according to how easy it is to adapt them to intermittent energy. There are various processes where intermittency can be absorbed. Most significantly, anything where the end use involves heat. Seasonal water storage tanks; refrigeration, concrete manufacture; metal ore reduction; brick making; cooking, etc. These are all things that in one way or another have either long time-constants or are suitable for batch manufacturing. Collectively, they represent a large part of our energy demand. It is essential that we begin making adjustments to these sectors.

There are lots of loads that cannot very easily be adapted to intermittent energy without significant economic dislocation. Transport is amongst these, but there are many more. To successfully adjust to intermittent power, a whole society transition plan is needed. This is not just about replacing existing fossil fuel power plants with wind and solar powerplants.

18. Davy on Thu, 9th Aug 2018 6:15 am

“They hit a bolder yesterday that took four men to life and move. I wish I could post pics. These people are why I say that the Ps is where to be when the SHTF. They know how to work and get things done.”

My god billy, you make me sick with your bragging. You are way to into your self and your poor little P’s.

19. Davy on Thu, 9th Aug 2018 6:19 am

“To successfully adjust to intermittent power, a whole society transition plan is needed.”

Excellent comment above Antius! It is going into my notes.

20. Cloggie on Thu, 9th Aug 2018 6:20 am

“Mamma, mamma, what is that?”

“That’s rain, my dear”

21. Cloggie on Thu, 9th Aug 2018 10:45 am

After an unprecedented drought of ten weeks heavy rainfall returned to water country the Netherlands:

22. GregT on Thu, 9th Aug 2018 11:21 am

Welcome to the rest of our lives:

(With a special guest appearance from Rex “We’ll adapt to that” Tillerson)

23. Cloggie on Thu, 9th Aug 2018 11:59 pm

@Antius – Interesting development. A very cheap form of energy storage: essentially latent heat within a very cheap bulk material – water.

It costs 1.16 kWh to warm 1 m3 water 1 degrees Celsius

Ecovat has two “vats”: 20,000 and 50,000 m3

Storage temperature range van 10 to 90 degrees = 80 range.

Thermal storage capacity 50,000 m3: 80 x 50,000 x 1.16 = 4,600,000 kwh (!)

1 m3 gas = 10 kWh
    Price 1 m3 gas in Holland: 63 euro cent

In other words: in order to lift the temperature of a 50,000 m3 Ecovat from 10 to 90 degrees Celsius you would need 4,600,000 x 0.63 / 10 euro = 290,000 euro worth of natural gas equivalent.

These Ecovats have a guaranteed lifespan of 50 years or longer. That would be 15 million euro gas equivalent.

Gas required for space heating in Holland = 1500 m3 = 15,000 kwh/jaar = 15 MWh

50,000 m3 suffices for 300 apartments, without heat pump (kWh-wise).

24. Antius on Fri, 10th Aug 2018 2:29 am

“1 m3 gas = 10 kWh
    Price 1 m3 gas in Holland: 63 euro cent”

“Gas required for space heating [per dwelling] in Holland = 1500 m3 = 15,000 kwh/jaar = 15 MWh”

These two statements should illustrate the sort of challenge that we collectively face trying to transition away from fossil fuels. 1kWh of gas costs 6.3 cents and costs are generally higher now than they were in the early 2000s.

To be cost competitive, the costs of electricity and/or solar heat required to heat the water and the capital and maintenance cost payments of the tank and distribution system per kWh; must be no greater than 6.3 cents plus whatever capital and maintenance costs are avoided from the gas boilers we are replacing.

That is a tall order I would suggest. Using heat pumps, the cost of electricity may just about break even with the present cost of gas. But the capital and maintenance costs of a district heating system will be substantially higher, for the simple reason that it is physically much larger. We must make this investment at a time when we are already quite indebted. If we are forced to pay more for the heat we use, it means less money available for other things that we may need.

25. Antius on Fri, 10th Aug 2018 6:12 am

“Gas required for space heating in Holland = 1500 m3 = 15,000 kwh/jaar = 15 MWh

50,000 m3 suffices for 300 apartments, without heat pump (kWh-wise).”

One potential stumbling block: if it takes 166m3 of water to store the annual heat needed for a single dwelling, then the volume of the tank will need to be comparable to the volume of all the dwellings that it serves.

That is a huge volume, although the tank need be little more than an excavated hole in the ground with a polymer liner. For a large tank with low surface area to volume ratio, the surrounding rock and soil can provide insulation. Even so, that is a lot of digging.

26. Cloggie on Fri, 10th Aug 2018 11:29 am

You can reduce that 166 m3 volume by a factor of 3-4 if you include the good services of a heatpump, which is what everybody does.

50 m3 is a lot more “doable” than 166 m3.

It is a lot of digging indeed, fortunately we have sufficient fossil fuel left to do the heavy lifting for us. And… once a hole, always a hole.

#MakeTheBuildingIndustryGreatAgain

27. Cloggie on Sat, 11th Aug 2018 12:51 am

German television has a tradition called “Politbarometer”, that registers opinions of the German population.

Yesterday I watched how they were discussing the heat wave and subsequent drought:

Very interesting is the shifting opinion regarding climate change and what caused the heat wave and drought.

In 2015 the answers to the question “is climate change real?” was about 48%/49% yes/no.

In 2018 it is 68%/28% yes/no.

That is significant and encouraging at the same time, because if you want to initiate real change (an expensive energy transition comes to mind), you need the support of the population.

28. MASTERMIND on Sat, 11th Aug 2018 1:37 am

Clogg

World governments have spent over a trillion dollars on renewable s since 2000..And solar and wind make up a tiny percent..About the exact same as they did several decades ago..The problem isn’t money related the problem is solar and wind aren’t effective enough to transition away from fossil fuels..The cost could be zero..And they still wouldn’t work..

29. MASTERMIND on Sat, 11th Aug 2018 2:19 am

Clogg

Why are you posting articles about two of the smallest countries on earth..That are located where its very windy by the ocean?

Is that all you got?