Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Zambia: Oil and gas discovered--$20 oil on the way!

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Zambia: Oil and gas discovered--$20 oil on the way!

Unread postby KevO » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 08:37:36

OK. So I added the second bit with me tongie in me cheek. But hadn't the US better quickly find a reason to be in Zambia? "Zambia has announced its first discoveries of oil and gas reserves.

The discoveries were made in north-western Zambia, an area that also has one of the world's largest reserves of copper. President Levy Mwanawasa said that samples from 12 sites have proved positive in tests conducted in Germany. Exploration had been carried out for the past two years" BBC ARTICLE
KevO
Expert
Expert

Re: Oil and gas discovered in Zambia ($20 oil on the way!)

Unread postby NEOPO » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 09:03:12

cool!! I just bought a hummer!!! ;-)
It is easier to enslave a people that wish to remain free then it is to free a people who wish to remain enslaved.
NEOPO
Permanently Banned

Re: Oil and gas discovered in Zambia ($20 oil on the way!)

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 10:36:30

Sorry what the President of Zambia is talking about is not oil wells having been drilled but rather geochemical sampling from 12 sites:

President Levy Mwanawasa said that samples from 12 sites have proved positive in tests conducted in Germany.

Basically samples are collected, usually from shallow boreholes and the material is sent to labs where it is run through a series of tests to see if there are traces of hydrocarbons present.

Geochemical anomalies are very common...all they tell you is that some amount of hydrocarbon was evolved from source rock at some time. What they do not tell you is whether there is sufficient source rock to result in large quanitites of hydrocarbons, whether the burial/temperature history of the basin was sufficient to create large volumes, whether there is sufficent reservoir rocks in trap configurations etc.

Encouraging but a long, long way from finding oil of any significance.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Return to Africa Discussion