Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Mid-Year ETP MAP Update Pt. 2

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Mid-Year ETP MAP Update Pt. 2

Unread postby dirtyharry » Wed 20 May 2020, 08:24:33

Ibon , thanks for the explanation .
dirtyharry
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 20 May 2020, 17:03:53

Ibon wrote:
asg70 wrote:. Oh, and HIV is for the most part a non-lethal disease now. Progress marches on.

Let's remember how pharmaceutical companies decide which direction to take research. A vaccine is a one time injection with maybe an additional booster or two. That means 3 shots at the most. In the case of HIV it is a non lethal disease today because those testing positive are on a lifetime cocktail of anti viral medications that have to be taken daily.

Now if you are a pharmaceutical company CEO with your R&D team deciding on where to invest your research which path would you take, a one time vaccine or antivirals that are taken for a lifetime?

The Covid19 pandemic has been so disruptive to the global economy that the pressure is on for a vaccine and they probably will succeed. If there was not so much disruption though pharmaceutical companies would focus more on anti virals.

Pharmaceutical companies act a lot like pathogens. They are parasites that want to debilitate but not cure or kill their customers. You know, keep them chronic but not kill them. This is exactly what the most successful pathogens do.

I find that strangely ironic.

Disclosure: I was in the medical field in sales for almost 20 years in senior management.

Given your theories on opening up re the real world data, your claims aren't exactly easy to believe.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby tita » Fri 29 May 2020, 12:55:12

Ibon wrote:Now if you are a pharmaceutical company CEO with your R&D team deciding on where to invest your research which path would you take, a one time vaccine or antivirals that are taken for a lifetime?

I have another theory... Tell me if I'm wrong.

A vaccine is billions potential customers, that could be paid with big international programs, so there's could be an interest. And big pharmaceutical companies don't do the inital fundamental research. It's a process where public research make a discovery, which end up in start-ups, which make further studies to prove a potential, which, if it's interesting, is bought by a bigger company that has the capacity to do bigger research. But the biggest cost is not the research, but the speculation that surrounds a potential treatment or vaccine that increase the value of a company.

Both yours and mine can also work. Like, there is not much incentive to develop a vaccine for Malaria, because the population affected is too poor.
tita
Coal
Coal

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion