Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Countdown To Impeachment Pt. 1

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Countdown To Impeachment

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 02 Oct 2019, 22:23:53

Pops wrote:The whistleblower who raised concerns about President Donald Trump’s dealings with Ukraine spoke to staffers on the House Intelligence Committee before filing a formal complaint, giving Democrats advance warning of the accusations of wrongdoing that triggered their impeachment inquiry.....

????????

THe Ds aren't supposed to get "advance warning" of whistleblower complaints. The New York Times reported that the whistleblower talked to Adam Schiff while PBS is now reporting the whistleblower talked to some unknown number of D staffers. There appears to be a discrepancy here in the news reports. And then the whistleblower talked to a D lawyer, who apparently actually rewrote the report. So far it seems he talked to Schiff, a bevy of D staffers, and a D lawyer before he even filed the report and the report itself seems to have been co-written with Schiff and an unnamed D lawyer. And whats more, Schiff tweeted about it all before the report was filed, so essentially it was leaked to the public as well.

Sorry.....thats not how the whistleblower process works. By leaking to the Ds before filing his report the whistleblower has disqualified himself from receiving whistleblowing protection. Whistleblowers aren't allowed to leak confidential information---their reports are supposed to be confidential and are supposed to go through the authorized channels.

If you read the instructions for "whistleblowers" on the DNI website, whistleblowers aren't allowed to pass on their report to congressional staffers of the D party. The whistleblowers are allowed to discuss their concerns with their supervisors, or with someone higher up within the intelligence community, or with a congressional intelligence committee as a whole---not Adam schiff and not D staffers and not D lawyers and not to the public vis tweets.

This so-called whistleblower not only broke the rules by talking to D staffers, but then broke the rules again by going to a lawyer and having the lawyer write up the report.

I now have doubts that the whistleblower is actually entitled to whistleblower protections, since he has gone outside the established channels for whistleblowing in order to collaborate with the Ds in writing his report.

I won't be surprised if the whistleblower is outed and then charged for leaking confidential information and/or for failing to inform the DNI that he had previously leaked his report to the Ds when he submitted the report to the intelligence officer.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Wed 02 Oct 2019, 23:19:26

Plantagenet wrote:THe Ds aren't supposed to get "advance warning" of whistleblower complaints.

Advance warning?
Schiff is the head of the intelligence committee, they have oversight of the intel community, they are who the whistle is blown to, for crimeny sake LOL
as I linked the DNI website says specifically
...or even a disclosure to an intelligence committee of Congress.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 02 Oct 2019, 23:28:33

Pops wrote: ....a disclosure to an intelligence committee of Congress.

Adam Schiff is not an intelligence committee of Congress. Neither are the D staffers.

The intelligence committee consists of ALL the members of the committee.

Clearly the so-called whistleblower didn't share their report with the entire intelligence committee but only with the Ds.

The "whistle-blower" is only entitled to whistle blower protections if he followed the rules. And this guy decided to leak his report to the Ds rather then following the rules. He didn't follow the rules so he isn't entitled to protection.

I think the Ds have outsmarted themselves again. Schiff should've immediately informed the other members of the intelligence committee about this report and shared it with them. But Schiff didn't think the whistle blower report was strong enough....it was too "vague." So instead Schiff chose to keep it secret and instead secretly sent the leaker to a D lawyer who secretly wrote the report for him.

Well, Schiff's little secret is out now.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.....

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 02:05:21

The whistle blower is required to make his report through the proper channels FIRST, and only if his concerns are not addressed THEN he can contact the intelligence committee.

But why didn't he contact the Senate intelligence committee? Oh that's right, it's ran by a Republican majority. This is a setup and Schiff lied about having no prior knowledge. Dems can't even run a half-assed conspiracy without getting caught. LOL

This smells exactly like Feinstein holding onto information about Kavanaugh for weeks and then leaking it out for maximum damage. The coup continues, as it has since Trump was elected.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 09:50:53

Plantagenet wrote:Adam Schiff is not an intelligence committee of Congress. Neither are the D staffers.

LOL, so any D is off limits?
he guy is just suppose to walk into a committee meeting and start talking?
The aide told hims to get a lawyer, he did.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 09:53:36

Really, the whistle blower is no longer relevant
trump's admission is the read out of the call
And even that is now irrelevant
trump just called on both china and ukraine to investigate biden on live TV
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 11:04:34

This is exactly why a "businessman" as president is a bad idea.

The "idea" of a politician is to represent and serve constituents, the "idea" of a businessman is to serve themself alone, "greed is good" that's the cornerstone of capitalism.

Here we have a person who was under investigation for bilking people out of their savings BEFORE the election and paid a 25 million dollar fine for AFTER he was elected. Folks who were trying to live the dream and become a big time real estate mogul just like your hero. They could have simply looked at his history. His lesson is simple, do whatever you want: cheat, lie, break laws; then let the lawyers handle the fallout if you get caught.

It doesn't surprise me that he is a liar and cheat, I've said it from day one. What surprises me is Rs are so willing to surrender our sovereignty, and cosign trump opening our election to whoever cares to make a profit.

You surrender our sovereignty for a few lulz and librul tears.

Salute

Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 11:23:27

Pops wrote:

It doesn't surprise me that he is a liar and cheat, I've said it from day one. What surprises me is Rs are so willing to surrender our sovereignty, and cosign trump opening our election to whoever cares to make a profit.

You surrender our sovereignty for a few lulz and librul tears.

Salute

So is it hatred toward liberals that makes them so willing to sell their souls to this crook?

Is it just that?
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 11:41:47

I just don't know. No not all, but some.

I assume some blue collar folks who switched from Obama were pissed O bailed out wall street, pissed about ACA. They bought the whole "rich people like me are going to be hurt badly by my tax plan, big beautiful healthcare, drain the swamp"

Rich people knew what he would do.

Racists recognized him immediately.

So no, not everyone who voted for him wants to burn it down a la bannon / strauss/howe generational crisis theory. Not all are fully captured by the right-wing outrage machine, but enough.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 11:53:51

When I'm not here I'm usually on reddit, which is very well moderated for attitude — similar to how I tried to steer PO.com before giving up. In the last 5 years it is amazing what my wife reports to me that people say on FB style social media. People who have appeared outwardly placid and normal for 50 years spout the most astonishingly hateful, ugly, demented sentiments, not to mention the wild conspiratorial claptrap that make one's jaw drop.

Some time I think the internets might help us to better relate to others. I read that especially white progressives have become much more liberal. I don't know if that's virtue signalling that's slipped into their unconscious or if reading about people different from themselves makes them more empathetic or what.

I know it works the other way or trump would never have made it this far, I didn't think he's make it a year.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 12:23:56

A lot of moderate people voted for Trump. I don't even know if they have changed their minds, because if they didn't, I wouldn't even want to know about it and they know that, too.

Republicans went for Trump because their first, number one goal, is to win. Afterwards, they can reap the rewards.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 12:53:21

please explain how this is somehow wrong for a President to do? If a gov't representative commits a crime in another country is it not the role of the President to make sure that crime is investigated?

Is Biden running against Trump for President?....not at the moment and probably wasn't the front runner in the Dem election to begin with. So pretty hard to argue there is anything personal to gain here.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 13:01:50

rockdoc123 wrote:

please explain how this is somehow wrong for a President to do? If a gov't representative commits a crime in another country is it not the role of the President to make sure that crime is investigated?

Is Biden running against Trump for President?....not at the moment and probably wasn't the front runner in the Dem election to begin with. So pretty hard to argue there is anything personal to gain here.

that is the least convincing defenses since "I have a big brain"
Again, if it doesn't offend you there is nothing I could possibly say that will reach you.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 13:02:48

I think there is a true element of radical anarchy among Trump supporters. It is not about cooperation, the preference is to dismantle the federal government. That is why they resonate with deep state conspiracies and why they are unable to consider this impeachment process as anything but the deep state out of control. When that is your orientation all of Trumps corrupt and rogue behavior is actually seen as positive.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 13:13:29

Only a brief minute to post so skipping over all since my last post.

Sitting in a mcDonalds eating a salad and getting force fed CNN propaganda faked up as news. They are completely over the top. First TV I’ve seen in 6 months, more than enough. Disgusting sophomoric crap.

———————

But to get to my point...

This really isn’t a matter that will be decided by McConnell. He will move the Senate to or away from impeachment.

Frankly my gut says that the decision to impeach has already been made by McConnell, that’s why Pelozi decided to move ahead, she got the green light. All this noise in the media is just providing cover.

Now that’s pretty damn cynical but that’s where I am.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pops » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 13:25:50

Ibon wrote:I think there is a true element of radical anarchy among Trump supporters. It is not about cooperation, the preference is to dismantle the federal government. That is why they resonate with deep state conspiracies and why they are unable to consider this impeachment process as anything but the deep state out of control. When that is your orientation all of Trumps corrupt and rogue behavior is actually seen as positive.

I agree with that. trumps core support is on a suicide mission, they are drinking and snorting and shooting themselves to death.

The romney / ryan chamber of commerce party has bribed them with guns and bibles and turned around and given them the shaft. Can't vote for hilary because fox tells me she's the devil, but what has run of the mill candidate bought by koch/mercer/addleson ever done for ME?

I don't doubt they're pissed. Now they've screwed up and can't back up.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 14:27:00

that is the least convincing defenses since "I have a big brain"
Again, if it doesn't offend you there is nothing I could possibly say that will reach you.

If Trump asked a foreign gov't to investigate a potential FCP violation by a large corporation you would be all over it to the positive. Why not the same indignity if said violation is done by an official gov't representative (in this case Biden)? Not sure I understand the distinction.

But you skirted the question....how does Trump personally benefit from this (as you have claimed) given Biden is not the elected rep of the Dems as yet?

It's one thing to hate the guy (which you clearly do) but to be blinded to what are actionable offenses because of that is not good.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 14:39:39

Right-wing book that set off Trump’s Biden crusade
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/10/right-wing-book-that-set-off-trumps-biden-crusade-caught-swiping-whole-passages-from-wikipedia/

Trump is a expletive Idiot. He's doing damage every day. When he talks, he doesn't make sense. He's vindictive. He would love to make a big score on his enemy, and any big Democrat will do. He's flouting Congress repeatedly and Congress does have perogatives as he will find out (I hope).
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pops » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 16:39:09

rockdoc123 wrote:But you skirted the question....how does Trump personally benefit from this (as you have claimed) given Biden is not the elected rep of the Dems as yet?

so it would be an offense if biden were the nominee, but since he's merely the front runner it's fine?
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 03 Oct 2019, 16:46:49

jedrider wrote:
Trump is a expletive Idiot. He's doing damage every day. When he talks, he doesn't make sense. He's vindictive. He would love to make a big score on his enemy, and any big Democrat will do. He's flouting Congress repeatedly and Congress does have perogatives as he will find out (I hope).

Trump just publicly called for Ukraine to investigate the BIdens and then he called for China to investigate the Bidens. And then he tweeted about it!!!!!

What more does Congress need? Trump isn't even try to hide that he wants the Bidens investigated by foreigners!!!! He's saying it right out loud in his speeches and in his tweets now!! Ohmigosh......its terrible....the Ds have to do something!!!

Surely this latest outrage is too much to bear!!! What are the Ds waiting for....if they are going to vote to impeach Trump for asking foreign countries to investigate Biden then what more do they need?

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion