Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Countdown To Impeachment Pt. 1

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Countdown To Impeachment

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 10:31:26

Newfie wrote:Also the rapid communication of emotions allows the formation of mob/herd reactions. Trump stokes this but it's a dangerous game that can backfire.

There is a strong anti-intellectual streak in the American public. It has come shining forth in all its glory lately.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dinopello » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 12:02:26

Ibon wrote:
Newfie wrote:Also the rapid communication of emotions allows the formation of mob/herd reactions. Trump stokes this but it's a dangerous game that can backfire.

There is a strong anti-intellectual streak in the American public. It has come shining forth in all its glory lately.

You are paraphrasing Asimov...

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

― Isaac Asimov
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 12:31:02

The whole rationale of Trump's populist campaign behind criticism and opposition to the DC elites and experts. And then people are surprised and shocked when he governs the same way? :lol:

And you have to admit the so-called experts haven't done a very good job for the average middle class American. The factory jobs are gone thanks to NAFTA, their housing values and money is gone thanks to the 2008-9 recession, drug abuse and drug overdoses are now rampant in what used to the be middle class, and even the death rate is now going up for middle-age Americans---something that is absolutely shocking in an advanced and supposedly wealthy country.

The health care system became so bad over the last 8 years that US death rates started going UP!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 16:48:34

Ibon wrote:

This is exactly the sort of condescending attitude from both the east coast media and Hillary Clinton herself displayed that led to her defeat. As if the left is somehow more intelligent and cerebral. Those of us in fly-over land are still laughing about the supposed superiority of the liberal intelligentsia.

Lawdy massa, we don't be having that high faluting book larning like ya'll do.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 17:02:00

Cog wrote:
Ibon wrote:

This is exactly the sort of condescending attitude from both the east coast media and Hillary Clinton herself displayed that led to her defeat. As if the left is somehow more intelligent and cerebral. Those of us in fly-over land are still laughing about the supposed superiority of the liberal intelligentsia.

Are you calling it Fake News?
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 20 Feb 2017, 01:56:04

Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 06:16:43

Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 10:15:55

Cog wrote:
Ibon wrote:

Cog,
Damned if I can get how you took what I and Ibon wrote and derived some Left/Right political message out of that. Trump beat 11 Republicans and ONE Democrat. Hardly a rallying cry for the Republican status quo.

Ibon,
I'm not talking about intelligence or education. I've seen too many damn stupid PhDs to be impressed. I've know a few illiterate guys who were brilliant. It has more to do with world view and perspective. And brilliance in one area does not necessicarially cross over to other areas.

What I was thinking of is more along the lines of the subconscious mood of the herd. There is a deep sense that "we Americans" have been duped by "Them" and it's time for the pitch forks. Kinda like a mini-French Revolution but we are going strait to Napoleon. Hopefully skipping the blood shed. Trump would do well to remember how Guillotine ended his career.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 11:46:09

The Ds obsession with impeaching Trump is going to make the 2018 midterms a referendum on impeaching Trump.

Do you want Congress to focus on impeaching Trump?---Then vote D.

Do you not want Congress to impeach Trump ---- Vote R.

The D's position on the issues
"The people in power should listen.....its them I'm criticizing" Greta Thunberg, Lisbon, 12/4/19
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 12:04:01

Trump MAY be able to secure our borders, make progress on our aging infrastructure, and even make a dent in crime. However, most of the jobs didn't go overseas, they were lost due to automation. The process will continue until the (effective) unemployment rate of 25% is at approximately 75%. That is where IMHO those that are truly productive, with automated/robotic assistance, can perform every necessary task.

But I have NO IDEA how we can live with 75% of those able to work, not working. It is not the same country, and Trump can't do anything about it.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 12:08:58

Newfie wrote: Kinda like a mini-French Revolution but we are going strait to Napoleon. Hopefully skipping the blood shed. Trump would do well to remember how Guillotine ended his career.

Ahhum ahh Newfie? Napoleon did not go to the Guillotine. He died in exile on an island and may have been poisoned by his British guards.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 16:16:10

When, I was referring to the good Dr. Guillotin, although the that turns out to be a myth. It was another J. Guillotin.

Maybe we exile Trump to Palm Beach, as the water rises!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 16:32:15

Newfie wrote:When, I was referring to the good Dr. Guillotin, although the that turns out to be a myth. It was another J. Guillotin.

Never heard that one. But if it is a myth, who cares.
I thought you were having a senior moment. Heaven knows I have more then my share. :oops:
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 17:01:52

Newfie wrote:When, I was referring to the good Dr. Guillotin, although the that turns out to be a myth. It was another J. Guillotin.

Please list the high crimes and misdemeanors that President Trump has committed since assuming the office of POTUS. Make your case Newfie Esq.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 17:27:43

Cog wrote:Please list the high crimes and misdemeanors that President Trump has committed since assuming the office of POTUS.

You are assuming Impeachment is a logical process that must meet some legal threshold before it can proceed.

Not so. Impeachment is a POLITICAL process.

Trump's election has driven the Ds nuts... The Ds can vote to impeach Trump on anything they want if they win a majority of Congressional seats. Thats why the 2018 Congressional elections will be a referendum on impeaching Trump.

Look---the Ds already went down this road with Scott Walker. As soon as he was elected governor they immediately started trying to impeach him or recall him---culminating in a recall election that Walker won. The Ds failed with Walker and they'll probably fail with Trump---but that won't stop them from doing everything they can to oppose Trump.

Cheers!

The Ds are out to impeach Trump
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 17:37:20

So the Republicans really went after Clinton for the Monica scandal, not appropriate but not reason for Impeachment either. So yes political motivations
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 17:45:24

onlooker wrote:So the Republicans really went after Clinton for the Monica scandal, not appropriate but not reason for Impeachment either. So yes political motivations

Lets be fair here. The Rs went after Clinton because he committed perjury under oath, which is a felony. Of course the Rs impeachment vote was highly political, but there was a legitimate rationale behind it ---so legit that even some Ds and Independents voted for the impeachment.

The Ds, on the other hand, have been out to impeach Trump from the second he was elected. I think an impeachment resolution was introduced in the House by a D on the first day Congress was in session. And, in fact, the Ds can impeach Trump without a legit reason. They just need to win a majority of the Congress to impeach Trump.

NOW---If you know of a crime Trump has committed would you please share it? THANKS.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 18:33:34

Impeachment is a political process and the Constitution specifies impeachment for "Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors". High crimes refers to abuse of authority, like intimidating a citizen to do something using the power of the office. Misdemeanors refers to untoward behavior. All subject to the political climate...
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 20:38:26

Cog wrote:

Please list the high crimes and misdemeanors that President Trump has committed since assuming the office of POTUS. Make your case Newfie Esq.

Back down Cog, remove the lock and load.

I was playing with VT over the Guillotine/Napoleon confusion.

AFAIK he hasn't done anything impeachable to date. In fact I hope this whole impeachment nonsense falls on its face and Trump turns out to be a great President. I'm not holding my breath but it would be nice.

I think Plant has the right understanding of this. The Ds want blood no matter what. In the process they are undermining the principals of our government. The very worst thing Trump could do to the radical D wing would be to be a fair and effective leader and popular leader. It would neuter them. :badgrin:
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion