Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Countdown To Impeachment Pt. 1

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Countdown To Impeachment

Unread postby Cog » Wed 23 Nov 2016, 07:33:25

Oh the noes. Trump is literally Hitler. Whatever shall we do?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 23 Nov 2016, 14:29:58

Cog wrote:Trump is literally Hitler. Whatever shall we do?

Have the Ds all gone nuts?

I don't understand the nonstop attacks on Trump now that the election is over. I've been traveling and overseas since the election and I was so happy to get away from the election lunacy but I'm just back and the Ds are still in full tilt attack mode.

Its really bizarre.

Now the Ds are claiming the election was rigged---something the Ds said was crazy just a few weeks ago.

Has Hillary declared herself the president in exile yet?

Look...we've just gotten through 8 years of Obama. Surely we can get through 4 years of Trump. :)
"The people in power should listen.....its them I'm criticizing" Greta Thunberg, Lisbon, 12/4/19
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 23 Nov 2016, 14:34:20

My left wing friends are starting to scare me. I feel they taken collective leave of their senses. Hysteria
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 23 Nov 2016, 16:01:04

Newfie wrote:My left wing friends are starting to scare me. I feel they taken collective leave of their senses. Hysteria

Entitlement has no party affiliation.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 23 Nov 2016, 16:12:59

Pure wish fullfillment is what this thread is all about. Three times in American History a President has had articles of Impeachment threatened or brought against him. Nixon resigned but both Bill Clinton and Andrew Johnson survived the vote to convict in the U.S. Senate and went on to serve out their full terms in office.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Pops » Wed 23 Nov 2016, 17:00:32

Funny you mention Nixon, T:

Nixon to Frost
“When the president does it, that means it is not illegal.”

Trump to Twitter
“The law’s totally on my side, the president can’t have a conflict of interest.”
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 23 Nov 2016, 18:09:22

I don't remember the Ds being outraged and demanding that Jimmy Carter sell off his peanut farm and divest himself of the family peanut business or face impeachment.

Sell off the family business for peanuts? Thats crazy!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Thu 24 Nov 2016, 05:55:36

When Jimmy Carter became president, he put his relatively simple businesses — a peanut farm and warehouse — into a trust that gave an independent trustee the discretion to sell the warehouse and to rent out the farm without Mr. Carter’s approval.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/17/opini ... erest.html
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Cog » Thu 24 Nov 2016, 06:49:17

There is no legal requirement for Trump to sell off assets or place his assets into a blind trust. Presidents and Vice-presidents are exempt from conflict of interest laws governing other federal employees.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 24 Nov 2016, 11:37:57

Thank you POPS for linking to the Jimmy Carter ethics rules regarding a family business and property holdings. This supports my point that The ethics arrangements set up for Jimmy Carter and his business interests when he became president did NOT require him to sell off any real estate.

Here's a direct quote from the Jimmy Carter ethics rules:

Not Included

Generally excepted from requirements of divestiture
(unless the particular position indicates continuing conflicts arising in Government service with respect to a particular interest) will be made for:

A. Real estate interests .....

Carter's business involved receiving federal tax credits for his peanut farming business, and when he became president President he was ipso facto the man in charge of the treasury giving out the tax credits that financially benefitted him.

That was a direct conflict of interest, and yet common sense prevailed and there were no demands that Carter sell off his farm and divest himself of his business.

The same common sense rules should apply to Trump as applied to Jimmy Carter. If Jimmy Carter didn't have to sell off his property and business interests then Trump shouldn't have to either.

As far as the day-to-day management of the business, Carter turned his business over to a trustee but kept ownership. This also is similar to what Trump is proposing to do.

Cheers!
"The people in power should listen.....its them I'm criticizing" Greta Thunberg, Lisbon, 12/4/19
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Thu 24 Nov 2016, 17:21:11

If you are expecting this president, to act like any other president, you haven't been paying attention.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 08:21:25

It does seem like the long knives are being sharpened. Pence will be so much more boring than what we have now.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 08:32:28

Dino,
Anything in particular strike you or just the general tone?

I know that very recently I removed a long time personal friend from Facebook (I've only been on fb a few months and only friended him post election) because I would get 3 - 7 outrageous anti-Trump, HATE TRUMP, posts a day. All from the far extreme Left (as per Mediabiasfactcheck.com). Never anything other than Trump hate. We exchanged emails over it and came to some understanding and remain friends, but it's frightening to see an otherwise very decent human be so vindictive.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 08:44:14

Well consider this Newfie. What news is your friend exposed to daily? If its CNN, its 24/7 Trump is Hitler, Trump is going to tear families apart, Trump is going to push grandma off the cliff. Your friend is simply taking that all as factual and sees Trump as literally Hitler who can't wait to fire up the ovens and burn him alive.

Now I didn't like Hillary and considered her a criminal globalist whose sole motivation would be to enrich herself at the expense of America. But I never saw her as throwing me into an oven. There are leftists who would do that but that wasn't her particular agenda. Had she won, I would have grumbled about it but I wouldn't be rioting in the street or be trying to stop the left from espousing their First Amendment rights.

The left are mentally ill. At least the ones I see on the news nowadays. Trump lives in their head 24/7 rent-free. Trump is simply a businessman and was elected because he was unlike the rest of the Republican field and had a simple vision of America first. Its not more complicated than that.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 09:05:36

Points of agreement and disagreement.

1- CNN would be quite moderate compared to the crap he is spewing.

2- I am not debating what COG would do, but there are many on the Right who are just as wacked out as the extreme Left. Mentally ill is mentally ill and is seperate from the party.

3- dismissing all Ds as mentally ill is a bigoted statement.
Bigotry | Define Bigotry at Dictionary.com
Dictionary.com › browse › bigotry
noun, plural bigotries. 1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own. 2. the actions, beliefs, prejudices, etc., of a bigot.

4- Trump is hardly just a businessman. That is prima facia obvious by the fact that he is one of a very few such businessman to run for President. He is more an actor, as was Regan, and I would say many/most high level politicians. It's all about the rating, Nielson or polls.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 09:16:50

Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 09:27:24

No doubt the Ds have tried to take a moral high road stance they can not support. And I'm sorely disappointed in their behavioir and tone, to say the very least.

You've not convienced me the Rs are substantially different let alone superior. I can easily go through a lite sly of R miss deeds of the lowest nature, treasonous at the highest levels, but I won't.

Both side put their shorts on one leg at a time. Our challenge is to get both sides to graduate to man pants.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 09:34:42

This is not a pure Democrat versus Republican discussion. This is a Marxist ideology that has poisoned the Democrat party and threatens to destroy the USA as we know it. Do not think you are going to hold some neutral position in between as you are fond of doing. You are either for American exceptionalism or you want to destroy it. Have the balls to pick a position.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 15 Feb 2017, 09:52:17

The problem with anyone picking the 'moral high ground' is everyone first has to acknowledge a definition for what is moral vs immoral. Our current culture is miles apart on what constitutes moral behavior, so when either party tries to claim the 'moral high ground' a broad swath of the general public shrugs because they don't see the world the same way.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion