Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Greta Thunberg's Voyage Pt. 2

Re: Greta Thunberg's Voyage Pt. 2

Unread postby Revi » Fri 22 Nov 2019, 14:20:20

I think they will have to move a bit north to avoid the storm. The family are from Oz, so I would think you would be rooting for them Sparky. They are famous in their own right, and people watch their vids all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZdQja ... nWsDQOv4ww
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 22 Nov 2019, 19:23:06

Several days wo Internet, just catching up.

Gretas boat had a close brush with a tropical storm that was predicted to give them trouble, but then it dissipated and now they seem to be getting a better weather prediction.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 22 Nov 2019, 19:37:55

You can see Tropical Storm Sebastian now on the south-central part of same plot that locates La Vagabonde at sea (Newfie---thx for the link to this cool site).

SailingLaVagabonde

NOAA predicted Sebastian would become a hurricane by friday (today) but they've backed off that. Their model runs still show Sebastian heading to the northeast (more or less towards where Great et alia will be in a couple of days) but remaining a Tropical storm (winds staying under 75 mph).
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby sparky » Sat 23 Nov 2019, 11:24:49

" The family are from Oz, so I would think you would be rooting for them Sparky."

good luck to them , people don't generally appreciate that Australian are very good sailors
watched the start of the Sydney Hobart from shark island many a time , don't recall ever seeing a cat
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby asg70 » Sat 23 Nov 2019, 18:52:43

Plantagenet wrote:What could be more wrong then[sic.] a climate accord that actually calls for INCREASES IN GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS!!?!?!?!!? SHEEESH!!!!!!!

I dunno, maybe thinking you can be both a climate change activist AAAAND a FREQUENT FLYER!!?!?!?!!? SHEEESH!!!!!!!

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 23 Nov 2019, 19:23:54

asg70 wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:What could be more wrong then[sic.]

I dunno[sic.]

Several years ago the mods asked posters not waste everyone's time picking out minor spelling or grammatical errors.

Please stop.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Sat 23 Nov 2019, 21:44:02

Plantagenet wrote:Several years ago the mods asked posters not waste everyone's time picking out minor spelling or grammatical errors.
Please stop.

Translation: I will avoid responding to being called out on my hypocrisy by calling foul on a technicality.

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 24 Nov 2019, 11:42:24

Tropical Storm Sebastian is passing by well to the east of Greta and LaVagabonde.

https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracki ... aVagabonde

They may even get a good push towards Spain from favorable winds as the storm moves past northeast of them.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Tue 26 Nov 2019, 10:38:37

It looks like they are about 2000 kilometers from Portugal now. It should take about a week to get there at 7 knots. It seems like the storm is now past them, so it should be fair winds all the way there. They might even get to Lisbon earlier. We'll see...
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby EdwinSm » Fri 29 Nov 2019, 01:36:41

Good speed of 9.1 knots when I looked, in an area of high wind. Weather will change, but for now the area just off Portugal and north Spain looks calm!
EdwinSm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cog » Fri 29 Nov 2019, 04:47:49

I suppose having her on a slow boat spares me from her daily diatribes about how much she hates me. So there is that.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby sparky » Fri 29 Nov 2019, 06:48:54

Could I suggest a solo circumnavigation of the world to be the next step
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 29 Nov 2019, 12:53:01

I suppose having her on a slow boat spares me from her daily diatribes about how much she hates me. So there is that.

One has to feel sorry for the dolphins and whales though. I'm sure we will see an inordinate amount of whale suicide by beaching ....they will do anything to get away from the midget harpy. :P
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dissident » Fri 29 Nov 2019, 15:05:40

https://summit.news/2019/11/29/swedish- ... urriculum/

Pure totalitarian absurdity in a supposedly democratic western country. Greta is a private citizen. Since when was it the job of the state to act like she was the head of state and to indoctrinate a personality cult around her.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 29 Nov 2019, 15:16:20

rockdoc123 wrote:

One has to feel sorry for the dolphins and whales though. I'm sure we will see an inordinate amount of whale suicide by beaching ....they will do anything to get away from the midget harpy. :P

Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 30 Nov 2019, 12:30:37

Greta had hoped to be in Lisbon for the regular friday student climate protest but isn't going to make it. Greta told them to go ahead and protest the climate without her.

And thats what happened. Friday was another day of student-led protests involving thousands and thousands of people in cities around the world.

Student climate protest yesterday in Vienna inspired by Greta Thunberg
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sat 30 Nov 2019, 15:02:58

dissident wrote:https://summit.news/2019/11/29/swedish-schoolkids-tasked-with-defending-greta-from-critics-as-eco-activist-becomes-part-of-religious-curriculum/

Pure totalitarian absurdity in a supposedly democratic western country. Greta is a private citizen. Since when was it the job of the state to act like she was the head of state and to indoctrinate a personality cult around her.

Watch how our civilization goes down a drain and laugh.
It is very entertaining indeed.
Regarding Sweden - it will be saved... by Muslims.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 01 Dec 2019, 14:53:12

Post from Gretas crew. Taken from sailnet.

Another report from Nikki Henderson:

*Day 19

Well that was a pretty full on day. Now - with nightfall - the sea state has thankfully subsided slightly. The 5 metre waves today came as a stark reminder of who is in charge out here - the ocean did what it does and we managed the situation as best we could.

By managing ... I mean - it was such good fun! We surpassed yesterday and hit a top speed of 24.1 knots - surf after surf after surf hurtled La Vagabond eastwards. Riley and I helmed the entire day and the smiles / very wide eyes said it all. As we accelerate off the tops of the waves the boat starts to hum - faster faster faster - it’s the best feeling in the world - the helm is light, the boat is flat, you are just carving through the water - I likened it to slicing a knife through soft butter (!) and then whoosh - we sink into a trough - the adrenalin kicks in as you concentrate to make sure the boat remains under control through the slow down - and then before you know it the next one swoops us up again.

We sailed 250 nautical miles averaging 10 knots - not too bad at all!

Meanwhile - life went on as usual. Elayna made the most delicious vegan pancakes. Everyone was shocked at my choice of lemon and sugar for a topping - apparently that’s not universal?! Another new skill honed: surfing at 20 knots (see above) whilst looking down at Lenny every 5 seconds with a different funny face playing peekaboo. It’s amazing seeing how much his cognitive levels have developed in just 3 weeks. Greta and Svante soaked up their usual morning rays, and then held a solid effort in the tea and coffee making department. Yes ... we are truly in a rhythm.

Just a few more days - less than 500 miles on our count. We await Lisbon with anticipation ... and I suppose a tinge of sadness that the adventure - as every adventure does - is soon to come to an end. But enough of that for now. Tomorrow is the start of advent, so preparations for the celebrations Swedish style are about to begin!*

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general- ... -post.html
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 02 Dec 2019, 01:13:00

The UN Secretary General opened the Madrid UN climate conference with a speech on Sunday denouncing the UN and other governmental organisations for utterly failing to do enough about about climate change.

UN-Secretary-General-Denounces-UN-Climate-Efforts

Its the kind of thing I expect Greta to say when she gets to Madrid. I was quite surprised that the UN Secretary General himself seems to share Greta's low opinion of the UN climate change treaty process.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby wildbourgman » Mon 02 Dec 2019, 10:26:04

The folks pushing this girl as a living idol are certainly looking cultish kind like the Nazis. She seemed pretty scary since day one. I don't think that her benefactors realize how she appears to the common folk and I think that will hurt their cause.
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate