Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Greta Thunberg's Voyage

Greta Thunberg's Voyage

Unread postby lpetrich » Tue 27 Aug 2019, 03:34:13

Greta Thunberg is a 16-year-old climate activist who started out as a "school strike" activist, and who now has traveled far from her native Sweden.

Back in spring 2019, Greta Thunberg's train journey through Europe highlights no-fly movement | Environment | The Guardian
1 14 April Departs Stockholm on a train
2 16 April Gives a speech at the European parliament in Strasbourg, France
3 17 - 19 April Meets the Pope at the Vatican and gives speeches at the Italian senate and Piazza del Popolo in Rome
4 21 - 23 April Arrives in London, gives speeches at Extinction Rebellion protest and to MPs in parliament, and attends Guardian event
5 25 April Returns to Stockholm

Likely electric the whole distance - electricity is what wind turbines and solar panels produce. From the map:

Stockholm - Copenhagen - Hamburg - Strasbourg - Basel - Milan - Rome - Lugano - Basel - Paris - London - Brussels - Cologne - Hamburg - Copenhagen - Stockholm
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Greta Thunberg's Voyages

Unread postby lpetrich » Tue 27 Aug 2019, 03:40:09

But her most dramatic voyage yet is her voyage to New York City to attend a climate-change conference there. She had to cross the Atlantic Ocean, and to do so without consuming fossil fuels. The only practical way to do that is by some sailing vessel, and I wondered how she would arrange that.

Greta Thunberg's sailing adventure no pleasure cruise
“It’s not very luxurious, it’s not very fancy but I don’t need that. I need only a bed and just the basic things,” Thunberg told The Associated Press. “So I think it will be fun, and I also think it will be fun to be isolated and not be so limited.”

Sailing on the 60-foot (18-meter) Malizia II, outfitted with solar panels and underwater turbines to generate electricity, Thunberg will make a zero-carbon trans-Atlantic journey.

But to call it a no-frills passage would be an understatement. The sailboat is built for high-speed, offshore racing, with weight kept to a minimum. The only alterations for the voyage are fitting curtains in front of the bunk and adding mattresses for comfort. There is no toilet or fixed shower. There’s a small gas cooker and the food will be freeze dried.

Inside, the yacht resembles the interior of a tin can. It is dark and gray, with no windows below deck.

With GT are her father Svante, yachters Boris Herrmann and Pierre Casiraghi, and filmmaker Nathan Grossman of B-Reel Films, who will be documenting the journey. She will bring audiobooks and also notebooks to write in.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby lpetrich » Tue 27 Aug 2019, 04:04:16

Hoping to welcome her is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez:

When Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez met Greta Thunberg: 'Hope is contagious' | Environment | The Guardian
In the course of their conversation, Ocasio-Cortez and Thunberg discuss what it is like to be dismissed for their age, how depressed we should be about the future, and what tactics, as an activist, really work. Ocasio-Cortez speaks with her customary snap and brilliance that, held up against the general waffle of political discourse, seems startlingly direct. Thunberg, meanwhile, is phenomenally articulate, well-informed and self-assured, holding her own in conversation with an elected official nearly twice her age and speaking in deliberate, thoughtful English. They are, in some ways, as different as two campaigners can get – the politician working the system with Washington polish, and the teenager in her socks and leggings, working from her bedroom to reach the rest of the world. There is something very moving about the conversation between these young women, a sense of generational rise that, as we know from every precedent from the Renaissance onwards, has the power to ignite movements and change history

AOC has also recently gone on a trip.

Public Citizen on Twitter: ".@AOC: We're coming to you live from the Electoral College - many votes here, as you can see. (laughing) https://t.co/7FVW2H7fZ5" / Twitter - "All right everyone, it's been a minute. We're coming to you live from the Electoral College - many votes here, as you can see. Very efficient way to choose leadership of the country. I mean, I can't think of any other way, can you?" - AOC speaking as she heads westward in a car past a Midwestern wheat field (?)

AOC quietly visits Kings Canyon National Park | YourCentralValley.com - she Instagrammed it and "Her posts included captions referencing the importance of nature and the importance of protecting it."

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "A new day, a new friend (penguin) https://t.co/1PmPEHP5Yx" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Getting back home after taking a few days‘ road trip - including our National Parks! (wilderness)
At @SequoiaKingsNPS, anyone can preside over the House (smilie)
We all should fight to protect the land, *and* so every American can have the ample, necessary time off to recuperate & enjoy it.
https://t.co/IaaRG6PFw6" / Twitter
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 27 Aug 2019, 10:24:29

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7365909/Greta-Thunbergs-Atlantic-trip-zero-carbon-yacht-generate-emissions-saves.html

Greta Thunberg's trans-Atlantic voyage on a 'zero-carbon yacht' has been rocked by revelations that crew will fly to New York in a gas-guzzling plane to bring the boat back to Europe.

It is claimed that this would generate more emissions than the yacht saves and threatens to leave the 16-year-old's plans to chart an environmentally friendly route to the United States in tatters. 

Basically anyone who needs a 16 year old who doesn’t go to school to inform them about subjects based on scientific observation and modeling really needs to consider their own IQ might be sub-par at best.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 27 Aug 2019, 10:43:38

Probably her intentions are good, but....just the boat itself is a artifact of our fossil fuel fueled culture. Most everything about the boat is plastic which comes from oil.

It’s the world we live in.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 27 Aug 2019, 11:28:51

Probably her intentions are good,

Yeah but:

“Most of the evil in this world is done by people with good intentions.”

TS Eliot

the road to hell is paved with good intentions

Samuel Johnson
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 27 Aug 2019, 11:48:46

Yes....

BUT...

MY intentions were good! :-D
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby lpetrich » Tue 27 Aug 2019, 14:58:20

So the only acceptable sort of intention is an evil intention?
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 27 Aug 2019, 15:05:44

Our intentions are very good.

Our ability to foresee the outcome of our actions sucks. 8O
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby lpetrich » Tue 27 Aug 2019, 16:07:49

There is an alternative to air travel for crossing oceans: hitching a ride on a freighter. Freighter Bum - Admiral Judd's Adventure on the High Seas is a nice site on someone's adventures aboard a freighter.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 27 Aug 2019, 17:16:45

Newfie wrote:MY intentions were good! :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTR5AT1 ... u.be&t=497

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 27 Aug 2019, 20:09:15

I prefer the classic!

https://youtu.be/HHjKzr6tLz0
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Greta Thunberg

Unread postby Revi » Wed 28 Aug 2019, 10:32:59

She's just gotten to NYC. She's arrived like a true Viking! Climate Conference on the 23rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyF-yydefVs
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Greta Thunberg

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 28 Aug 2019, 10:47:00

Revi wrote:She's just gotten to NYC. She's arrived like a true Viking! Climate Conference on the 23rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyF-yydefVs

She is a very remarkable person with a very important message and I really enjoy her antics. I love it when she says she is unable to speak in public because she is autistic and then eloquently speaks in public in front of thousands of people. People keep falling for the same shtick.

I'm disappointed, however, that her main organizing tactic seems to be encourage kids to skip out of school. We need kids to stay in school and work and and succeed and then work on solving the climate change crisis. Encouraging kids to go on strike and refuse to go to school seems misguided to me.

Cheers!
"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Wed 28 Aug 2019, 10:54:56

......We need kids to stay in school and work and and succeed and then work on solving the climate change crisis. .....

The first thing smart kids would tell us is that we need to stop discretionary uses of fossil fuels, like travel for fun, pizza, and vacations.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 28 Aug 2019, 11:13:14

GHung wrote: we need to stop discretionary uses of fossil fuels, like ... pizza

I wasn't aware that Greta Thunberg had taken a position against pizza. :-D :roll:
"Its a brave new world"
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 28 Aug 2019, 12:15:56

GHung wrote:
......We need kids to stay in school and work and and succeed and then work on solving the climate change crisis. .....

The first thing smart kids would tell us is that we need to stop discretionary uses of fossil fuels, like travel for fun, pizza, and vacations.

I see what you did there ;) Carry the torch, man.

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 28 Aug 2019, 12:48:17

asg70 wrote:I see what you did there

I hope you saw my post. Thats why people post things here....so people can see them and discuss them.

I made my post after another poster denounced a series of things including "fun" and "pizza". In my post I asked is Greta Thunberg against pizza?

Here we are facing an existential climate crisis and we're concerned about pizza? We're against "fun"? Really?

What is the carbon footprint of a pizza, anyway? What is the carbon footprint of "fun"?

If we aren't going to eat pizza to reduce our carbon footprint, then what should we eat instead?

And fun? What kinds of fun are OK and what kinds of fun have too large a carbon footprint?

Cheers!
"Its a brave new world"
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate